• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the history of the Neo Geo alone would probably be enough for Sakurai to consider an SNK rep of any sort.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They were known for arcade games. Back when SNK was in its prime, most of their games were on a "system" that one distributor bought & people played it there. I assure you, people recognize these characters.

Any character is a risk that could "tank the Pass," though. Bayo might have. Erdrick might. If the goal is to promote a character, SNK seems to be in a sweet spot of needing a push for younger Smash players while having enough notoriety to earn sales on their history alone.
But at the same time, SNK may be a bit too far on the obscure side to the point where they may be a tough sell overall. Granted, Erdrick would be a tough sell in the West, but he'd print enough money in Japan to compensate for that. Same for a Microsoft character, though the roles would be switched in Microsoft's case.

If we're talking niche franchises, I feel like Ace Attorney or Okami levels of niche would be more reasonable.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Geese Howard is the only acceptable SNK rep. Everyone else isn't cool enough.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the...uh I forgot her name but girl with hawk from Samurai Shodown would be the best SNK rep.

A semi-mascot of sorts and uniquer than Terry Bogard and Kyo.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'll only accept the one true SNK mascot
XCaEOEG.jpg

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I want our SNK rep to be Iori and for every one of his win animations to be a different version of him laughing maniacally.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Metal Slug may be niche on consoles, but SNK's bread and butter was, for the longest time, the arcade space. Their Neo Geo cabinets were mainstays in arcades worldwide.
They were known for arcade games. Back when SNK was in its prime, most of their games were on a "system" that one distributor bought & people played it there. I assure you, people recognize these characters.

Any character is a risk that could "tank the Pass," though. Bayo might have. Erdrick might. If the goal is to promote a character, SNK seems to be in a sweet spot of needing a push for younger Smash players while having enough notoriety to earn sales on their history alone.
Aren't arcades dead nowadays? Sure i'll agree that SNK had a big presence in arcades, but given the current situation that's a moot point. Erdrick/bayo could be seen as "risks", but the risk involved of destroying the pass' sales would be astromically bigger with a SNK character. This isn't a charity, its a decision to choose the characters based off a mix of sales/recognition and i'm certain none of those characters stand a single chance against ryu/cloud/bayo/joker/erdrick.
Is "niche" a synonym for "half dead?"

I wouldn't call a franchise like Persona half dead, but you do you
I never called persona niche. Don't put words in my mouth.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't arcades dead nowadays? Sure i'll agree that SNK had a big presence in arcades, but given the current situation that's a moot point. Erdrick/bayo could be seen as "risks", but the risk involved of destroying the pass' sales would be astromically bigger with a SNK character. This isn't a charity, its a decision to choose the characters based off a mix of sales/recognition and i'm certain none of those characters stand a single chance against ryu/cloud/bayo/joker/erdrick.

I never called persona niche. Don't put words in my mouth.
Arcades aren't dead. Especially not in Japan. And again, SNK is mounting a comeback with a renewed focus on console games and their legacy characters and IPs.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Logistically it's just a lot easier to pick Japanese characters. Sakurai likes talking to game companies/creators when adding their character to Smash and he can actually physically do that in a small country like Japan where most of the entertainment business is centered in the same area.

The rumor of Sakurai meeting Phil Spencer at E3 makes sense with this, whether it's true or not. But with classic series like Dragon Quest, Tekken, and Resident Evil that can still be mined for Smash, I don't see him adding more than maybe one western character at this point.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Good thing SNK's not coming back in the arcades, then? You seem very defensive about SNK not getting into Smash as a mere possibility. No offense, but mind if I ask why?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im the one person in existence that wants both Minecraft Steve and Doomguy

delphox is so mediocre that the middle stage of its line is actually more popular.

is that true for any other starter? samurott maybe?
Grovyle was vastly more popular than sceptile, I think.

Also Monferno over Infernape, but that's just IMO :)

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I count the Ice Climbers as both but with male primacy.

This is what I want most. Nakoruru and her animal friends are cool as heck. Even cooler is that she's Ainu and a mascot for SNK's social action programs.
I feel like the...uh I forgot her name but girl with hawk from Samurai Shodown would be the best SNK rep.

A semi-mascot of sorts and uniquer than Terry Bogard and Kyo.

Gotta agree with the Nakoruru love. I'd be happy with any SNK rep (think of the music), but Nakoruru would be top of the list. Plus I think everyone here who's not even familiar with her would approve. Plus, I think a recreation of her classic stage would look great (aside it maybe being a walk off)

18oiwrk32uilpgif.gif

And throw in the Winter version as a bonus

latest

I wouldn't sleep on Metal Slug though. I mean the DS did get Metal Slug 7 as an exclusive (before remade as Metal Slug XX).

Status
Not open for further replies.