• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think we're going to get a Tales character in the same pass as Persona and Dragon Quest. It's a perfectly "deserving" series, but I just don't think now is the time for it -- 3/5 of the pass being new third-party JRPG series seems excessive and unlikely to me. I'm expecting more variety.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think we're going to get a Tales character in the same pass as Persona and Dragon Quest. It's a perfectly "deserving" series, but I just don't think now is the time for it -- 3/5 of the pass being new third-party JRPG series seems excessive and unlikely to me. I'm expecting more variety.
Oh no, the rest of the pass is Erdrick, Porky, Lightning and something from The Last Story

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't actually be *that* surprised since JRPGs tend to develop very hardcore and devoted fanbases who shell out money by the truckload.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Five out of the seven DLC characters in Smash 4 were JRPG characters.

I mean, it was a little different due to the veterans, but I don't think they were super concerned about genre variety.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Five out of the seven DLC characters in Smash 4 were JRPG characters.

I mean, it was a little different due to the veterans, but I don't think they were super concerned about genre variety.
Like you said, they were mostly veterans. The genre can't be helped there. Each of the DLC guest characters came from vastly different games. Smash 4 also didn't have a Fighters Pass that you could blindly purchase at launch.

Last edited:

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
JRPG is a pretty wide range of games

Dragon Quest and Persona look and play vastly different
They do, but when you throw Tales into the mix they start bleeding together and overpowering the aesthetic of the Fighters Pass, which would thematically start to feel like a JRPG pass at that point. Persona, Dragon Quest, Tales, and two other characters just isn't my idea of variety.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If somehow Brave isn't Erdrick I would still assume he's coming thanks to Tansut's intel.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
...yes? And EarthBound and FF are old to Smash while TLS is new. This means that Fighters Pass is the most diverse of JRPG character season passes, covering all 4 possible genres of JRPG.
I guess I misread your comment replying to another comment about third-party JRPG characters.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They do, but when you throw Tales into the mix they start bleeding together and overpowering the aesthetic of the Fighters Pass, which would thematically start to feel like a JRPG pass at that point. Persona, Dragon Quest, Tales, and two other characters just isn't my idea of variety.
I agree, that's starting to cater hard to one specific type of fan. It seems like they want to branch out more than that.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Source Gaming actually put up their fan poll, and while I certainly know this isn't be-all, end-all, it is fascinating to look at. (Especially since people love citing this poll when talking about Banjo.)

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/05/15/sg-susbu-fighter-pass-poll/

41 Lloyd Irving 86
58 Heihachi 49
74 Yuri Lowel 31
82 KOS-MOS 26
105 The Prince (Katamari) 16
176 Chosen Undead 7

This seems very accurate but I dont agree with KOS-MOS placing 82.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Every so often it truly sinks in that this game is somehow still getting 4 more characters. This game is nuts

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
We know the first three DLC characters were being worked on simultaneously, so hypothetically, what if "Brave" isn't actually coming next despite having placeholder data? What if the mysterious third character is going to be the E3 reveal?

I'm still kind of fascinated by the theory that "Jane" is actually Jill Valentine. Her last two costumes could use the modern BSAA design, explaining the ponytail, and it makes sense to build her off of a petit character with a knife and gun.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How would predictions change if someone wild like Master Chief was announced at E3?
In pretty sure people would actually start predicting stuff like Kratos unironically.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We know the first three DLC characters were being worked on simultaneously, so hypothetically, what if "Brave" isn't actually coming next despite having placeholder data? What if the mysterious third character is going to be the E3 reveal?

I'm still kind of fascinated by the theory that "Jane" is actually Jill Valentine. Her last two costumes could use the modern BSAA design, explaining the ponytail, and it makes sense to build her off of a petit character with a knife and gun.
So your theory is that "Brave" won't be used at all?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
How would predictions change if someone wild like Master Chief was announced at E3?
In pretty sure people would actually start predicting stuff like Kratos unironically.
I guess. It would be one hell of a pov shift, at any rate (Halo doesn't seem to be known in Japan much more than anything else), and someone always pushes beyond logic.

There's a lot of people here who expect two E3 reveals, but Erdrick not at E3 was always a possibility I considered likely, even if I'd love to be done with Erdrick talk ASAP.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I though "Jane" was only able to work as Joker's seventh alt costume? That's how someone explained it to me here anyway.

I'm all for Jill Valentine though.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Master Chief being announced would shut up all talk of Banjo.
If anything all it would do is amplify the requests for Banjo if we get a Microsoft rep anyway. If you want to have people shut up about Banjo you put in Banjo or say that Western characters/Microsoft characters won't ever be in Smash

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If anything all it would do is amplify the requests for Banjo if we get a Microsoft rep anyway. If you want to have people shut up about Banjo you put in Banjo or say that Western characters/Microsoft characters won't ever be in Smash
Master Chief getting in as DLC would mean Banjo not getting in. Nintendo would not give Microsoft more than one DLC rep.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Master Chief getting in as DLC would mean Banjo not getting in. Nintendo would not give Microsoft more than one DLC rep.
The same game that's given multiple companies multiple reps won't give another company that has many popular characters multiple reps? There's nothing that says Microsoft would only have one and even then the precedent of them having one character is still going to have people still ask for them when there's already an established partnership. Especially between Microsoft and Nintendo considering they've only gotten more cooperative over time they're not gonna one and done Microsoft

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most certainly not in a single DLC pass.
I was just talking about in general. I'm not saying Microsoft is going to get two reps in the Pass but really all you'd be doing is delaying Banjo by not putting him them and another Microsoft character instead.

I was just saying that if you want people to shut up about Banjo being in Smash definitively you either put them in or say Microsoft characters aren't ever happening. You think the Banjo talk is annoying now but when Smash 6 rolls around it's only going to get worse when a Microsoft collaboration had already been established

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
No, because there's no way that more than one Microsoft rep is getting into a single DLC pass, if any do.
I thought you meant Banjo fans would shut up for good or something. (cause the fervor for a second fighter's pass/Smash 6 would go through the roof and dominate all discussion)

Either way, I think saying "no way" for two Microsoft reps in one pass is a little too strong.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Banjo=/=Master Chief. One's a lost Nintendo character, the other is an Xbox mascot.
Banjo isn't a lost Nintendo character. Nintendo explicitly gave Rare Banjo's IP rights when they separated. it's been nearly two decades since then and he's a Microsoft/Xbox character at this point, regardless of Nuts & Bolts and the dormancy of the IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.