• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a major content release roughly every two months since launch, so we'll probably see the third character around August, the fourth character around October, and the fifth character around December, barring any delays covered by the extra two months of wiggle room.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
TFW you're going to have to wait until like August to see a new post-Joker Smash character that hasn't been leaked yet

Only_the_dead_can_know_peace_from_this_evil.jpg

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Just read some of the re-translation from Pushdustin and I'm thinking we'll only get one Smash character at E3.

Sakurai said he didn't want to release all 3 characters back at E3 2015 and that for Ultimate he has to create a lot from scratch.

We'll see.
Talking about this tweet?

I don't think anyone was saying that two characters would be released at the same time at E3. Think the consensus was that Erdrick might be potentially shadow dropped at E3 (releasing one character) while the 3rd character would be teased at the end. (which would most likely be released in August/September).

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
bold of you to assume Challenger #3 won't be leaked

What if #3 is leaked?

Honestly at this point, I'd be kinda surprised if Nintendo made another datamine fuckup that hints at more characters ahead of time. We didn't get anything new in the datamine for the last big update, so I would think they'd be trying to cover their tracks better.

Outside of datamines, the only Smash DLC leaks we've gotten are from Tansut, who seemingly has a source within Square-Enix that knows about Smash DLC. So, unless there's another Square character coming out that he'd like to talk about...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly at this point, I'd be kinda surprised if Nintendo made another datamine fuckup that reveals more characters ahead of time. We didn't get anything new in the datamine for the last big update, so I would think they'd be trying to cover their tracks better.

Outside of datamines, the only Smash DLC leaks we've gotten are from Tansut, who seemingly has a source within Square-Enix that knows about Smash DLC. So, unless there's another Square character coming out that he'd like to talk about...

We need to hear more about Star Ocean. They announced a Switch version of Star Ocean and we haven't even talked about Smash implications, lol.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad people aren't pushing for softball picks like Bandana Waddle Dee, Jack Frost and Captain Toad anymore

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ffs, it's not bait

Guess i'll have to dig up the receipts:

The biggest upside of Jack Frost is that he is the mascot of all of the branches of the MegaTen franchise. SMT, Persona, his own spin-offs - while any specific protagonist/character would only represent their own game.

Bandana Dee isn't Toad, he's Luigi. At least in newer games.

Tier list of how cool third party characters would be. No indies

S:imon Belmont
A+: Banjo-Kazooie
A: Rayman
A-: Jack Frost
B: Terra
C: Slime
D: Master Chief
E: Bubsy
F: Joker

You want to talk disingenuous - Ok. How about Jack Frost - who's been with Nintendo consoles more than a lot of actual characters in the game, was the protagonist of Jack Bros, featured prominently in marketing for a lot of games, and is consistently liked by SMT fans - is somehow worth less than a near-silent protagonist of two games that both released this decade. It's like saying Quiet should be in Smash before Revolver Ocelot, or Kass before Impa. (LMAO)

And none of the Pokémon are protagonists in their games either.

SSfkyeK.png

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Talking about this tweet?

I don't think anyone was saying that two characters would be released at the same time at E3. Think the consensus was that Erdrick might be potentially shadow dropped at E3 (releasing one character) while the 3rd character would be teased at the end. (which would most likely be released in August/September).

I meant only 1 reveal and release. My bad, not that 2 characters would get released.

I'm thinking they'll do the 2 final characters together. As in reveal one early and then have a Direct for the last one, discussing both in great detail.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
"Bandana Dee isn't Toad, he's Luigi. At least in newer games. "

For some reason, I guessed that ned_ballad said this, and a quick Google search shows that, yes, he said that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I meant only 1 reveal and release. My bad, not that 2 characters would get released.

I'm thinking they'll do the 2 final characters together. As in reveal one early and then have a Direct for the last one, discussing both in great detail.
I'm pretty sure that the last reveal will be at The Game Awards.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that the last reveal will be at The Game Awards.

I think Joker's reveal at VGAs was a one time thing to get people excited for the Fighter Pass early on.

Right now, I'm thinking there will be one last Smash Direct in December, much like the one we got for Smash 4 back in December 2015, that reveals the final character(s).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Joker's reveal at VGAs was a one time thing to get people excited for the Fighter Pass early on.

Right now, I'm thinking there will be one last Smash Direct in December, much like the one we got for Smash 4 back in December 2015, that reveals the final character(s).

Is this because Reggie's not there anymore?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

No way. The last reveal has to be in a presentation. They're going to want to discusss that character in great detail right away. In my opinion.
I was thinking..
  • E3 for "Brave"
  • August/EVO for Fighter #3
  • September Direct for Fighter #4
    • Released in October or November
  • Game Awards for Fighter #5
    • Released in January or February w/ a presentation prior

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if I didn't like Joker, I just can't fathom thinking a character like Jack Frost would somehow be both a preferable & realistic choice over Joker (who brings so much more to the table)

I think people still have this ultra rigid, super simplistic view of what makes a character Smash Bros character eligible (even though Sakurai has made it plainly clear). The Source Gaming Rate the character chances were pretty emblematic of that mindset.

Ultimately, character additions come down to what they bring to the table. Hype cycles are everything now; gone are the days where characters can just get by being "regular joes." The Smash Team isn't going to waste resources on nobodies anymore, not when the payout for doing so is completely disproportionate to the amount of effort they put into creating them.

That and Sakurai's own preference goes a long way.

So yeah to reiterate, I was 100% serious about my softball comment.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking..
  • E3 for "Brave"
  • August/EVO for Fighter #3
  • September Direct for Fighter #4
    • Released in October or November
  • Game Awards for Fighter #5
    • Released in January or February w/ a presentation prior
That's that thing. They made a big deal about the final reveal.

Kinda of a waste for it to be reveal 2 months prior.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Toad and Bandana Dee or whoever would be fine base game choices but terrible DLC picks. Like, in a lineup with Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta, Erdrick... you're putting a second-string Kirby character? Like, Corrin was already relatively weak, but at least he/she is a lead character of a brand new game in a long-running series.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Even if I didn't like Joker, I just can't fathom thinking a character like Jack Frost would somehow be both a preferable & realistic choice over Joker (who brings so much more to the table)

I think people still have this ultra rigid, super simplistic view of what makes a character Smash Bros character eligible (even though Sakurai has made it plainly clear). The Source Gaming Rate the character chances were pretty emblematic of that mindset.

Ultimately, character additions come down to what they bring to the table. Hype cycles are everything now; gone are the days where characters can just get by being "regular joes." The Smash Team isn't going to waste resources on nobodies anymore, not when the payout for doing so is completely disproportionate to the amount of effort they put into creating them.

But at the same time, that talk was before we had a good idea of what their DLC plans were. Now the discussion has gravitated towards third party characters, with the likely next character being Dragon Quest (unless you consider it a softball pick).

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018

I mean, anyone still saying that jack frost (or any side character) should go and ask any p5 fan if they would want to play as the blue imp over joker. I'll guarantee u'll get crickets from them.
BWB and toad may be different due to the nature of their series but thats another discussion altogether.

So anyway is it just me or does smash 4 dlc's cycle feels more exciting during the months?
I know we got more in-dept content this time, but lets take a look at it -

Smash 4 -
- mewtwo, lucas, roy, ryu, cloud, corrin, bayo
- suzuka castle, midgar, umbra tower
- couple of extra tracks (6 i think)
- mii costumes

Ultimate -
- 5 brand new characters (joker is one of them)
- 5 new stages
- multiple tracks + remixes
- mii costumes (shouldnt be too much of a difference)

Now i know that theres definitely substantially more content, but somehow 5 characters vs the 4 characters + 4 clones that we got didnt feel as fun as before. I know that characters arent the only factor, but it feels....emptier to me.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
So anyway is it just me or does smash 4 dlc's cycle feels more exciting during the months?

Smash 4 -
- mii costumes

Ultimate -
- 5 new stages

Now i know that theres definitely substantially more content, but somehow 5 characters vs the 4 characters + 4 clones that we got didnt feel as fun as before. I know that characters arent the only factor, but it feels....emptier to me.
We have 1 character more in Ultimate at this time then we had with Smash 4.

Before E3 only Mewtwo was released and Lucas was revealed. We had to wait until E3 for Lucas.

I wouldn't judge the cycle until it's over. It's easy to forget how slow Smash 4 DLC actually was when it's in the past.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Smash 4 -
- mii costumes

Ultimate -
- 5 new stages

Who were the 4 clones? Lucas & Roy are the only two semi-clones.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate -
- 5 new stages

There's also Piranha Plant

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the Smash for content was returning content like the vet fighters or returning stages. Ultimate has already given us those and then some.

For me, knowing that each new fighter comes with a new stage and music is what's exciting for me.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want Jack Frost because he's cute and he's a demon. Other SMT fans wanted him because they didn't want Persona to take priority. I mean, I didn't want SMT to get the shaft either. A character choice is more than just a character, but also a stage, music, and a series' presence.

Ironically, some of my friends thought Joker was the more boring, predictable choice.

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, anyone still saying that jack frost (or any side character) should go and ask any p5 fan if they would want to play as the blue imp over joker. I'll guarantee u'll get crickets from them.
BWB and toad may be different due to the nature of their series but thats another discussion altogether.

Smash 4 -
- mii costumes

Ultimate -
- 5 new stages

Recency bias. Smash 4's DLC year felt as empty back when it was happening.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more excited for Ultimate's DLC than I was for Smash 4's. The roster already feels complete to me ("everyone is here!"), so I can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm much more excited for Ultimate's DLC than I was for Smash 4's. The roster already feels complete to me ("everyone is here!"), so I can just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Yea, same for me. No one else I seriously want and it finally seems complete. Smash 4 was just pure chaos and crazieness. Ballot randomly dropped on us and no set schedule. We pretty much have a handle on everything this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.