• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai is driving a mom van full of Nintendo execs. He asks "do we want to stop at KH for a snack?"

The execs will always go "NO! WE WANNA GO TO THE DQ!"

tenor.gif

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If someone other than Steve from Microsoft happens. We need a gif of said character creating a spirit bomb and destroying him like Buu

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can I talk about how awesome (most) Ninja Gaiden games are and that Ryu Hayabusa would absolutely be perfect for Smash?

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
We need a new game I guess to pass the time.

What characters would make up your "meh pass"? Nothing to be excited over, but also wouldn't be disappointed that you already spent $25 on the pass either.

I'd go with Joker, Tom Nook, Marx, Rhythm Heaven character and Ryu Hayabusa. I wouldn't be disappointed, but I wouldn't be excited and amped to try one. And I included Joker bc that's really how I feel about his inclusion- it's just kinda meh to me.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I agree. Their exposure in Smash can bring many people in the west to cause interest in the series.

If Dragon Quest hasn't taken off in the West yet, it just isn't going to happen.

It happened with Fire Emblem, but Fire Emblem has the whole waifu shipping mechanic that really made it big with Awakening.

Dragon Quest does nothing that isn't already accomplished with other RPGs that have already made their way west.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What characters would make up your "meh pass"? Nothing to be excited over, but also wouldn't be disappointed that you already spent $25 on the pass either.

I'd go with Joker, Tom Nook, Marx, Rhythm Heaven character and Ryu Hayabusa. I wouldn't be disappointed, but I wouldn't be excited and amped to try one. And I included Joker bc that's really how I feel about his inclusion- it's just kinda meh to me.

Steve, Erdrick, Heihachi and Dante.

(sorry Okabe)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You're right why would Nintendo want to promote Dragon Quest?

If it's all about promotion, then why a character us Euro folks know nothing about (that mobile game doesn't count, sorry, a little too late). DQ11 protag much better choice.

You know what Nintendo also does? Publish Dragon Quest games themselves in the West.

Also Sora isn't owned by Square, they need to go up to Disney for that.

You know what? They also publish Disney games in west. Well, not KH games it's licensing hell but Nintendo and Disney are as close as Nintendo and Square are. And.. wasn't one of Sora's drive forms named Yusha/Brave? It's certainly possible.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Ninja Gaiden games let you do things like this:

(Video game gore.)

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

If we get indeed something like Erdrick next, following with 1st Party characters through the end (Fire Emblem, Pokémon, etc).. I'd still buy, but the pass would end being dissapointing to say the least

that said, I don't believe we'll get a singular Nintendo owned character in this pass

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
If it's all about promotion, then why a character us Euro folks know nothing about (that mobile game doesn't count, sorry, a little too late). DQ11 protag much better choice.
Erdrick is the most popular DQ protag in Japan (or so i've heard) and as Dragon Quest is most popular in Japan, it makes sense to cater to them. Also, the mobile version of DQIII is a half a decade old now, don't know why it's "a little too late".

Luminary could very easily be an Echo or Costume. Erdrick would definitely be the default.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I just want some of the DLC characters to be characters that haven't been speculated to death and beyond in these threads

Joker was a pretty good start

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Erdrick is the most popular DQ protag in Japan (or so i've heard) and as Dragon Quest is most popular in Japan, it makes sense to cater to them.

Luminary could very easily be an Echo or Costume.

Erdirck sure is legendary over there but it's definitely behind DQ5 protag, who is getting a full CGI movie this year. And DQ5 has the most remakes/releases. DQ5/Luminary would be a much better choice for fans everywhere in the world, including us Euros.

Similarly, Tales rep should be that way. One most known character and the echo is latest one. Cress Albane is the Erdrick of Tales series but Lloyd Irving is more well known in west. Velvet Crowe/Lloyd Irving are my chice.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

My meh pass would probably be Joker, Master Chief, a Gen 8 Pokemon, Minecraft Steve and like, someone from Dark Souls or some shit like that

My "regret" pass would be something along the lines of Joker, 2B, Sans, Goku and Erdrick

My hype pass would be Joker (only because he is already out, he would be in regret pass otherwise), Banjo, Geno, Vyse from Skies of Arcadia and Jill Valentine/Dante

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'm almost doing that pentagram thing with Crash games and taking a picture, like Animal Crossing fans does

I'll be there with you. I'd use Wumpa Juice for my summoning circle, but, uh... I still can't tell what kind of fruit a Wumpa's supposed to be in the real world. They're, like... Peach Apples? With purple juice?

Honestly, I agree. Their exposure in Smash can bring many people in the west to cause interest in the series.

Or it could backfire. I genuinely see there being backlash towards getting Erdrick in the West. Most of it being upset that their not Goku.

It's not why I'd be frustrated, but I'll revel in that response.

If I keep putting everyone that posts Ugly Steve on my Ignore List, I'll no longer be able to see half the thread!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Erdirck sure is legendary over there but it's definitely behind DQ5 protag, who is getting a full CGI movie this year. And DQ5 has the most remakes/releases. DQ5/Luminary would be a much better choice for fans everywhere in the world, including us Euros.

Similarly, Tales rep should be that way. One most known character and the echo is latest one. Cress Albane is the Erdrick of Tales series but Lloyd Irving is more well known in west. Velvet Crowe/Lloyd Irving are my chice.
DQIII is in no way behind DQV, despite the existence of the movie (which does make sense, as V has a plot that is easier to adapt to a cinematic format). It's the best selling title in the series for a reason. It's a culturally important game for Japan, with over 300 people being arrested on launch day for skipping work/school to play it.

As someone from a PAL region, I really don't think us not getting the game originally matters at all in this case. DQIII is a legendary release that goes beyond that.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'll be there with you. I'd use Wumpa Juice for my summoning circle, but, uh... I still can't tell what kind of fruit a Wumpa's supposed to be in the real world. They're, like... Peach Apples? With purple juice?
I always wondered how it tastes. :p .. the Japanese games indeed just call Wumpa Fruits 'Apples' and nothing more.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018

Literally every character consistently brought up in these threads would make up a meh pass to me.

DQ rep (despite being a huge DQ fan), any of the proposed Capcom reps, Crash, Ubisoft reps, 2B, Tales rep, Tekken rep. Ryu Hayabusa and Microsoft reps would be the only consistently mentioned characters that would move the needle.

Your "meh" pass is my unbelievably best case scenario pass tbh.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Kiryu and/or Majima for Smash would be perfect, especially if they want to push the whole "PlayStation All-Stars" meme further... which I have to assume they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.