• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
So how would people feel if the Fighters Pass ended up looking like this, and which two of the last four characters would you prefer or consider most likely?

4qqecat.png

Finally put together my own Fighters Pass prediction thing:

If it's not animating for you, the last two slots alternate between Hayabusa/Jill and Jibanyan/Heihachi. The slots aren't meant to be in a specific order or anything; these are just the top 6 third-party characters I'd expect to see as the next 4 DLC fighters in the Fighters Pass.

1. Hero (Dragon Quest)
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3-4. [any 2 of the following 4:]
- Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)​
- Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch)​
- Jill (Resident Evil)​
- Heihachi (Tekken)​

I only included third-party characters because I have no idea what to expect for first-party characters, since none seem particularly likely to me at this point.

Also, I put Jill as the potential Resident Evil rep here (mostly because she's the character everyone seems to be gravitating towards), but is there a good reason to expect her over Chris? Both are protagonists of the first game (is one more of a "main" character than the other, though? I honestly don't know), but it looks like Chris is the protagonist of the two best-selling games in the franchise (Resident Evil 5 and 6) rather than Jill, so I could see that counting for something. Like, I'd prefer Jill if only for the sake of diversity (I don't really care about any Resident Evil characters at all, so the choice doesn't matter much to me), but is there a reason besides that that makes people think Jill would be more likely than Chris?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Doctor Mario was basically playable in Odyssey, because Doc is just mario in a costume and the Doc costume in Odyssey is 1:1 with his normal design. Also Doctor Mario games are their own little spin off genre and Doc is the main character of those.

Daisy was in a game boy Mario platformer and also was playable in Mario Run

Waluigi doesn't even have perfect attendance in Mario Kart (which Daisy has).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So how would people feel if the Fighters Pass ended up looking like this, and which two of the last four characters would you prefer or consider most likely?

4qqecat.png

Also, I put Jill as the potential Resident Evil rep here (mostly because she's the character everyone seems to be gravitating towards), but is there a good reason to expect her over Chris? Both are protagonists of the first game (is one more of a "main" character than the other, though? I honestly don't know), but it looks like Chris is the protagonist of the two best-selling games in the franchise (Resident Evil 5 and 6) rather than Jill, so I could see that counting for something. Like, I'd prefer Jill if only for the sake of diversity (I don't really care about any Resident Evil characters at all, so the choice doesn't matter much to me), but is there a reason besides that that makes people think Jill would be more likely than Chris?
Jibanyan just would be a big no. From what I know, the series basically dropped off in japan, and never really could make it in the west at all. DQ at least has a huge, big history in japan.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sir, as a K. Rool fan, you should know better than to underestimate the Kong fandom.

Dude, my username is from DKC3. It's straight facts. Dixie is a character most people would be fine with but would not exactly hype up the masses. I don't even really want Waluigi but I can see the writing on the wall on that one.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Waluigi's always been garbage, but that Twitter harassment campaign against Sakurai actively made me hate the prospect of him being in Smash.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Erdrick is about the same as Steve for me.

Oh yeah, Steve from Minecraft, its big, but I don't really care about him even if I respect his importance

Oh yeah, Erdrick from Dragon Quest, its big in Japan, but I don't really care about him even if I respect his importance.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Mario was basically playable in Odyssey, because Doc is just mario in a costume and the Doc costume in Odyssey is 1:1 with his normal design. Also Doctor Mario games are their own little spin off genre and Doc is the main character of those.

To be fair, Doctor Mario was included in Melee years before Odyssey was a thing.

The second statement is a valid point, though in the long run, Doc still only got into Melee because he was an easy clone to create due to literally just being Mario in a lab coat, lol.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

4qqecat.png

Pretty meh.

I'm excited for Erdrick no, but everything after that doesn't interest me. Ryu would be kind of cool but that's it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Characters
To be fair, Doctor Mario was included in Melee years before Odyssey was a thing.

The second statement is a valid point, though in the long run, Doc still only got into Melee because he was an easy clone to create due to literally just being Mario in a lab coat, lol.
Also Sakurai loved Doc's music and wanted a chance to include it

Had My Music been a thing, we might not have even gotten Doc.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
One benefit of potentially Master Chief being DLC is i can swap colours and pretend i am playing Red vs Blue characters in a fighting game

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be a Joker level megaton but I feel like Rex would still get a strong reaction just because most everyone is convinced he has no chance.
there's people out there still clinging to hope, so I wouldn't say everyone.

now, Foreman Spike? There's a character that depresses fans too much to even talk about, because his chances are less than 0. Imagine the outpouring of support when he's front and center at E3

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

4qqecat.png

Isn't "Hero" a bit too generic for Erdrick's name in Smash?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I feel like Sakurai would gravitate more towards the beginning of the Resident Evil series, and that narrows it down to Chris and Jill. Jill always seemed more popular than Chris from what I've seen and people are yearning for more female representation.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
So here is a ehh… remaining popular 1st Party character wave?

Rex, Springman, Dixie, Bandana Dee & Waluigi.

Garbage, ok or decent?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is, none of those games are the mainline platformers, which is what really matters for Mario characters that aren't the throwaway clones like Doc and Daisy.

I mean I buy that that's why Sakurai himself puts Waluigi low on the totem pole, but him being wildly popular would help bring him up in the future.

I just think getting Waluigi to work in Smash is relatively small potatoes compared to some of the other characters which I think he would've needed to think harder on. (Ex: Characters with perceived design/technical issues, ones without a perceived future) He just seems like the easiest gimme to get people on the internet talking about and onboard with Smash that he has to happen at some point.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dee fanbase will only grow over the years as more Kirby games are released and he's inevitably in them. With Sakurai's track record though I half expect Marx before him.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we have Piranha Plant as our random mook rep, I see no reason for Bandanna Dee other than "But we gotta have a Kirby character!" which is always my least favorite reason for getting a character in Smash.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Now that we have Piranha Plant as our random mook rep, I see no reason for Bandanna Dee other than "But we gotta have a Kirby character!" which is always my least favorite reason for getting a character in Smash.

Except Dee is an established character. That's like saying Captain Toad is a mook.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, my username is from DKC3. It's straight facts. Dixie is a character most people would be fine with but would not exactly hype up the masses. I don't even really want Waluigi but I can see the writing on the wall on that one.
Waluigi is wanted by shitposting memers and assholes that harass Sakurai on social media with Nazi bullshit. That's not a fanbase worth catering to when there are other, better characters that aren't known for mostly being Wario's doubles partner in tennis.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Characters who

1. Have appeared in more than 1 Mario Kart
2. Have had perfect attendance since appearing (for the purposes of this list, Shy Guy counts for DS)
3. Bolded are playable in Smash
4. I'm not counting the Namco arcade games

SNES
- Mario
- Peach
- Bowser

- Toad
- Yoshi

- Wario
- DK

Double Dash
- Daisy

Wii
- Rosalina
- Mii

- Metal Mario
- Lakitu

=======

Double Dash
- Not Waluigi

Too bad for Waluigi. Can't be in an exclusive club featuring Smash Bros fighters and the all star Mario character, Lakitu. Next time don't have your spot taken by a random NPC from Mario Galaxy.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Dee fanbase will only grow over the years as more Kirby games are released and he's inevitably in them. With Sakurai's track record though I half expect Marx before him.
using the power of sakurai bias, Bandanna Waddle Dee is actually a sakurai character!

which also means that when he gets in he will have a moveset based entirely around megaton punch. the final smash will pull out a spear where he does a sick combo striking in the immediate area around him

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Bandanna Waddle Dee could have the moveset Samus fans dream of. Where he changes elements of his spear to do different moves based on the element attached to his spear.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Waluigi is wanted by shitposting memers and assholes that harass Sakurai on social media with Nazi bullshit. That's not a fanbase worth catering to when there are other, better characters that aren't known for mostly being Wario's doubles partner in tennis.

There was nothing in my post about the quality of the character or his fanbase, even if the Waluigi one is especially toxic, it's one that Nintendo has actually commented on.

Status
Not open for further replies.