• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Banjo
  2. Bandana Dee
  3. Sora
  4. Shantae
  5. Geno
No DQ hype there
I would be 100% ok with this list. I am expecting either Banjo or Steve from Minecraft. I reeaaaalllly want Sora over the DQ hero, even though chances are slim. Shantae would be a pretty sweet rep, and Geno sadly doesnt seem possible as 2 squenix reps basically knocks him out with more popular choices. That and Im sure Paper Mario would be a better overall Mario RPG rep if one was considered at all as Square doesnt need to be involved.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Bandana Dee couldn't even get a regular spirit battle, just an upgrade for the regular Waddle Dee one

I think that alone speaks volumes on how Sakurai feels about the character

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also pretty sure Bandana Dee will skip next Smash as well.

cxpdefln2ep01.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Bandanna Dee is a Waddle Dee with head-wear.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

What does that matter? He's an established character with a consistent presence. Should Yoshi be out because he's just a Yoshi?

I know right? Marx or Adeline would have way more interesting movesets than mook who pokes people with spear.

I mean, there are Metroid characters who would have a more interesting moveset than Ridley, but he's the one to actually keep showing up in games.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Bandanna Dee is a Waddle Dee with head-wear.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I know right? Marx or Adeline would have way more interesting movesets than mook who pokes people with spear.
Bandana Dee couldn't even get a regular spirit battle, just an upgrade for the regular Waddle Dee one

I think that alone speaks volumes on how Sakurai feels about the character

What a bunch of haters. Bandanna Dee is a source of pure light and deserves nothing but happiness and praise.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I'd rather have Marx become a playable character and make his final smash his boss form from the story mode.

We have Giga Bowser and Ganon, let's complete the trio.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They just need to make a Kirby fighter.

Bandanna Dee isn't bd but there are so many Kirby characters I'd rather have.

Ribbon
Susie
Animal Buddies Team
Marx
Mage Sisters
Daroach
Dark Matter Swordsman.

But most of them are from Kirby games not made by Sakurai so not happening.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I think Kirby's adequately repped with just Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight, and that it doesn't need anymore characters beyond those three.

Same thing with Zelda.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk: I view Bandanna Dee in the exact same way that I view Blue and Yellow Toad from the New Super Mario Bros. games.

Mostly as "Really? That's what you came up with for the other players to use?"

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Bandana Dee is one of few playable Kirby characters that is given actual character and raised from status of playable mook to an important character. Bandana Dee is also very recurring playable character.

Yet because he looks like a mook he is doomed forever.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Am I wrong? Ridley's moveset is fairly straightforward. But he is THE Metroid villain, which is why he's in. No other character comes close to his prominence in the series.
Straightforward? He can drag characters almost across the entire stage, mutilate people with a 70% tail skewer, shoot out volleys of fireballs, etc. Ridley's got the history, moveset, and design to back up his spot in Smash.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm ambivalent towards Bandanna Dee and would rather see Marx or Magolor get in as a 4th Kirby rep, but what I REALLY want to see for Kirby in Smash is ANYTHING substantial from modern Kirby.

Sakurai picking Great Cave Offense and Retro Kirby to get stages in Smash 4 even when Triple Deluxe and RTTD were RIGHT THERE still pains me deeply.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
Don't want to start anything, but Sans, Dixie Kong, Lanky Kong, Midna, Helix, Twintelle, and Marx could actually drink apple juice. Not just sing about it. Although they would be great at doing that, too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Straightforward? He can drag characters almost across the entire stage, mutilate people with a 70% tail skewer, shoot out volleys of fireballs, etc. Ridley's got the history, moveset, and design to back up his spot in Smash.

He's a dragon with claws and a tail. He fights like you would expect a dragon with claws and a tail to fight. That's not a bad thing though, not every character needs to reinvent the wheel.

Bandana Dee has a spear and also uses it in all sorts of ways. He has just as much material for a moveset as Ridley, while also having far more prominence than any other candidate in the Kirby series.

If Dee was a cat named Fabio, this would be a non-issue. People just come up with the moveset stuff as an excuse. They just call Dee a mook and write him off on that.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Jibanyan just would be a big no. From what I know, the series basically dropped off in japan, and never really could make it in the west at all. DQ at least has a huge, big history in japan.
It's still a lot more popular than many other third-party franchises in Japan. And with Yo-kai Watch 4 coming out for Switch, the series could start picking back up again. It'd be the best choice for a Level-5 rep, and it'd also be in Nintendo's interest since they publish the Yo-kai Watch games outside of Japan. It'd probably be more unique than most other potential characters, too.

Pretty meh.

I'm excited for Erdrick no, but everything after that doesn't interest me. Ryu would be kind of cool but that's it.
That's mostly how I feel about those characters too (Jibanyan's the only one that I'd truly love to see, and I've also been rooting for a Dragon Quest fighter 'cause it feels like such a glaring omission), but I'm trying to guess what's most likely, not what I'd most want (I'd have thrown Rex, Chorus Kids, and Tails on there if that was the case).

Isn't "Hero" a bit too generic for Erdrick's name in Smash?
You could say the same for Villager, couldn't you? It seems like the character is largely known as "Yūsha" in Japan (along with other Dragon Quest protagonists) despite technically having a name, and the equivalent here is "Hero" (which also seems to be used in place of "Erdrick" in merchandising). And "Hero" covers more bases than "Erdrick" anyway, 'cause it can refer to any Dragon Quest protagonist (multiple of which could be represented as alts).

I feel like Sakurai would gravitate more towards the beginning of the Resident Evil series, and that narrows it down to Chris and Jill. Jill always seemed more popular than Chris from what I've seen and people are yearning for more female representation.
I also think it'd be down to either Jill or Chris, but I'm not completely convinced that Jill would definitely be chosen over Chris given that Chris seems like he has more prominence in the series. Could they work as echo fighters of each other, I wonder? I honestly have no idea, as someone who's not very familiar with Resident Evil.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda reps are also fine, but because they bloated Fire Emblem past them we just need Zelda reps.

They could further de-clone Ganondorf but Zelda has it well.

Also:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Kirby Star Allies is gonna help the case for other Kirby characters going forward. I honestly believe Kirby fans just want Bandana Dee because he was the only viable Kirby character left for a long time.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly believe Kirby fans just want Bandana Dee because he was the only viable Kirby character left for a long time.
And this is where I fundamentally disagree.

I'm not one to want characters because I think a series needs more characters (unless it's a brand new series in Smash). I want characters because of the characters.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
You could say the same for Villager, couldn't you? It seems like the character is largely known as "Yūsha" in Japan (along with other Dragon Quest protagonists) despite technically having a name, and the equivalent here is "Hero" (which also seems to be used in place of "Erdrick" in merchandising). And "Hero" covers more bases than "Erdrick" anyway, 'cause it can refer to any Dragon Quest protagonist (multiple of which could be represented as alts).
I wouldn't describe any other Smash character as a villager (besides Isabelle, who wasn't in Smash 4), whereas half the roster could be called a hero. Yuusha has a more specific meaning in Japanese that doesn't really translate; "hero" is fine for a DQ class name, but he'd need something a bit more unique as a Smash character.

I do believe that he'll be called Yuusha in the Japanese version of the game, but there's no telling what Nintendo of America will go with: Erdrick? Brave? Dragon Warrior? I just don't think it'll be Hero.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
All I know is that the next animal crossing character that gets into smash better be this fucking guy or I'm starting a riot:

84-846274_hamlet-clipart-laertes-kk-slider-animal-crossing-png.png

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
And this is where I fundamentally disagree.

I'm not one to want characters because I think a series needs more characters (unless it's a brand new series in Smash). I want characters because of the characters.
What do you find interesting about Bandana Dee, specifically?
Prince Fluff got robbed.
Prince Fluff with a Kirby's Epic Yarn moveset was one of my wishes for Smash 4. Seems like the train already parted on that one.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
What do you find interesting about Bandana Dee, specifically?
You misunderstand.

I don't want him, or at the very least feel neutral about him. I find nothing about him to be particularly exciting. I'm contrasting myself from all the people out that there want "A Zelda character" or "A Kirby character" just because they're from those series.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't describe any other Smash character as a villager (besides Isabelle, who wasn't in Smash 4), whereas half the roster could be called a hero. Yuusha has a more specific meaning in Japanese that doesn't really translate; "hero" is fine for a DQ class name, but he'd need something a bit more unique as a Smash character.
What do you think would happen in the event that we got a Dragon Quest Hero fighter in Smash, which was Erdrick as the default plus at least one other DQ protagonist (like, say, the Hero from XI), and in Japan both/all characters are called Yūsha. That's a likely scenario for the names in Japan, is it not? Then what happens for the names outside of Japan? Do they just call them all Hero outside of Japan too, or give them individual names (Erdrick, Luminary, etc.)? I could see it going either way.

But my choice to use the name "Hero" instead of "Erdrick" on my predictions wasn't necessarily because I think that's the name they'll use, but rather because it's more open ended and safer for prediction purposes, lol.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think would happen in the event that we got a Dragon Quest Hero fighter in Smash, which was Erdrick as the default plus at least one other DQ protagonist (like, say, the Hero from XI), and in Japan both/all characters are called Yūsha. That's a likely scenario for the names in Japan, is it not? Then what happens for the names outside of Japan? Do they just call them all Hero outside of Japan too, or give them individual names (Erdrick, Luminary, etc.)? I could see it going either way.

But my choice to use the name "Hero" instead of "Erdrick" on my predictions wasn't necessarily because I think that's the name they'll use, but rather because it's more open ended and safer for prediction purposes, lol.
The DQXI hero also gains the title of Erdrick, so that name works for both characters. I'm personally only expecting to see III and XI represented anyway.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I always have been saying that Kirby Trifecta was pretty perfect and don't need to add any characters forward.

However if Sakurai want to add one more character to Kirby roster then I hope that it would be Bandana Dee (Star Allies moveset) where he could use some element gimmicks to adjust his spear powers.

I wasn't for any Kirby rep until Star Allies changed my mind on Bandana Dee where he could control the direction where spears would go with the wind element.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the only franchises with more than three Smash reps are Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon, and FE

Status
Not open for further replies.