• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waluigi never being playable and forever being an assist is the greatest way to rep the character.

True fans know this to be true. Only the memers think otherwise.
I just want Nintendo to go full deep into Waluigi's bizarre and craziness as a actual game. Or at least with comics or just being the butt of every joke or something.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong Jr. died the moment Diddy Kong was born
It's true

MKDD_Unused_Character_Icons.png

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I feel little sad Waluigi got dumped into shit wagon after couple awful fans harassed Sakurai. Character in theory shouldn't be ignored just because of some awful fans.

…I'm also worried how much harassment Sakurai really gets. Unfortunately, I don't think it's just couple of people on Twitter, there are likely way more. Unfortunately.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I feel little sad Waluigi got dumped into shit wagon after couple awful fans harassed Sakurai. Character in theory shouldn't be ignored just because of some awful fans.

…I'm also worried how much harassment Sakurai really gets. Unfortunately, I don't think it's just couple of people on Twitter, there are likely way more. Unfortunately.

SWBFm68.gif

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm interesting data from Source Gaming Votes.

Frisk and Sans totally outnumbered Jill Valentine along with Leon as well, Waluigi barely missed Top 10, Shantae got way higher than Shovel Knight due to no AT, Porky also got high due to no Spirit and honestly Poochy as well, Steve has more than just meme support.

Too bad Geno made it 5th, so it kind of makes it seem list is bit too much in bubble of smaller community and might not represent large enough group of people.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact Toadette has effectively replaced the yellow Toad as the fourth player character, and has been making appearances as either an important NPC or straight up playable character in spin-offs and mainline games, makes me start to think that she's gonna be a lock for Smash, either DLC (tho there probably only if there's a second season) or the next game. Peachette only helped her popularity - I think she's gonna be our next Rosalina, not Pauline or whomever else.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The fact Toadette has effectively replaced the yellow Toad as the fourth player character, and has been making appearances as either an important NPC and playable character in spin-offs and mainline games, makes me start to think that she's gonna be a lock for Smash, either DLC (tho there probably only if there's a second season) or the next game. Peachette only helped her popularity - I think she's gonna be our next Rosalina, not Pauline or whomever else.
She hasn't really replaced a specific Toad yet; it was blue in NSMBUDX and yellow in Maker 2.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
We're not getting Toadette without Toad, and we're not getting Toad with Peach's current move set. Maybe (but probably not) next game.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She hasn't really replaced a specific Toad yet; it was blue in NSMBUDX and yellow in Maker 2.

Oh yeah, I forgot it was the Yellow one that was in NSBMUDX, my bad.
Either way, she's replaced the second Toad regardless of colour, is my point - which also gives her more visibility/exposure than the two coloured Toads.

We're not getting Toadette without Toad, and we're not getting Toad with Peach's current move set. Maybe (but probably not) next game.

Before today, I would have agreed with you. But since she's front and center in Mario Maker 2 - which is no doubt going to be a huge success - in both the campaign and the multiplayer mode makes me think that Nintendo is trying to position her as the main Toad character over bog standard Toad, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad and even Captain Toad.
This all smells a lot like how they've approached things with Rosalina, if not even more aggressively so.

I don't doubt that if we get Toadette, Toad isn't far behind, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we only got Toadette, either.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH

It's like that for most or all of the top characters. The higher the popularity, the worse the reaction from those kinds of fans. Popularity that's observable, boosted expectations, and the entitlement that's seen when it doesn't pan out.

The other thing, due to his continued relevance, the average maturity level of Waluigi's fanbase should be lower than Ridley's and K. Rool's. No data on this, but I can't see there being a lot of teens that seriously wanted the latter two, so Waluigi has to get the bulk of them, on top of any older awful fans out there.

As for the harassment in general, I would think he might receive more than any other developer out there. It's not something I've really thought about with other games/developers, though. Defintely more than we see, as you said. The question is how much actually makes it to him directly.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still banking on Toadette being one half of Captain Toad's alts (someday)

feels like her best Smash hope

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Before today, I would have agreed with you. But since she's front and center in Mario Maker 2 - which is no doubt going to be a huge success - in both the campaign and the multiplayer mode makes me think that Nintendo is trying to position her as the main Toad character over bog standard Toad, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad and even Captain Toad.
This all smells a lot like how they've approached things with Rosalina, if not even more aggressively so.
Eh, I don't really see it. She's still just a multiplayer character equal to Toad.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't doubt that if we get Toadette, Toad isn't far behind, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we only got Toadette, either.

That line of reasoning only makes sense if you assume that Sakurai will look at the representation of Toad as different from Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, or Captain Toad, when he may see them all as representation of the same character. If you look at marketing of NSMBU DX and Mario Maker 2, Nintendo doesn't distinguish as Blue or Yellow Toad, it's just "Toad" to them. The easiest explanation is that they thought a female character would be a good fit in the Mario quartet, so decided that only 1 version of Toad was enough and the other could go to Toadette since she would share mostly the same assets and animations.

Every time Toadette has appeared in modern Mario games, she was accompanied by Toad who has more of a track record of going solo than her. I don't see it as a competition either, it's just logical that Sakurai would do an Olimar/Alph or Koopalings situation here because it adds more fanservice and value by making any version of Toad/Toadette playable for minimal effort on the devs part. So the latest trend of Toadette stans trying to pit her against Toad is just dumb to me and seems to come from a place of schadenfreude towards people who want Toad playable in Smash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The fact Toadette has effectively replaced the yellow Toad as the fourth player character, and has been making appearances as either an important NPC or straight up playable character in spin-offs and mainline games, makes me start to think that she's gonna be a lock for Smash, either DLC (tho there probably only if there's a second season) or the next game. Peachette only helped her popularity - I think she's gonna be our next Rosalina, not Pauline or whomever else.
Reminder: The cart should come after the horse.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
(captain) Toadette is the most obvious Captain Toad echo or costume swap, we can all be happy!

If my mushy boy even had a shot at this point, he's been robbed like Dixie Kong

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe that my character, Toadette finally got their moments. :'^)

She uses to be a filler character when she made her debuts. I picked her in Mario Kart DD and Mario Party 6.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Is Toadette the first case of a spin-off Mario character being assimilated into the main games? I don't think even Wario appeared in an EAD game, unless SM64DS was handled by them.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whichever mushroom is preferred, I don't think games like Mario Maker 2 matter. They function as "echoes" just like Luigi is to Mario, but lack the same body type. Toad's had a history of SMB2, SM3DW, the NSMB series, and now SMM2 and it hasn't mattered. More games like Treasure Tracker which could build on things only him and Toadette could do is their only shot at Smash.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like that expressing the notion that Nintendo might be pushing Toadette is immediately reacted to with scorn and me being implied to be a moron.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like that expressing the notion that Nintendo might be pushing Toadette is immediately reacted to with scorn and me being implied to be a moron.

That's not what got you the reactions. Toadette getting a huge push is undeniably happening in Mario games for the past few years.

What people take issue with, is to view Toadette's promotion as Nintendo deeming Toadette as more important to them than Toad.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect part of the reason SMM2 is picking Blue Toad + Toadette is because Red Toad wouldn't read differently enough from Mario at a glance on some themes

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect part of the reason SMM2 is picking Blue Toad + Toadette is because Red Toad wouldn't read differently enough from Mario at a glance on some themes

Yep. Super Mario Run is a single player game, so the Toad that appears playable is the original red cap, blue vest one. That same one appears in this game's story mode.

When there's a co-op Mario game, Nintendo has each character represent a different color so that it is immediately obvious to each player on where their character currently is. In NSMB Wii it was Red, Green, Blue, Yellow. Because Toad's color scheme matches Mario's, his appearance got altered. Same with 3D World (there's a contrast between Toad's dark blue and Rosalina's sky blue) or even this game. There's no instance of Peach and Toadette ever being on screen in a co-op Mario together, because they both share pink as their main color.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Sakurai is going to subvert your expectations and bring back a lost soul from the gamecube era...

latest

Yada Blah Blah Blah Blah!

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Some characters in Deltarune reference playing Smash. Was kinda hilarious since that came out like 2 days before the massive November Smash Direct and led to rabid theorizing.

Dunno if Fox has mentioned it at all via social media, though.

deltarune came out 1 day before the Smash Direct. The epilogue also has a number of references telling players to "come back tomorrow." I didn't beat deltarune in time, but I did get that wildness spoiled.

Everyone, please, turn not amongst yourselves, you are losing sight of the true enemy.

It doesn't matter if the next character is Erdrick, or Jill, or Banjo, or the Chosen Undead, or Sans, or Toadette.

What matters is that it's not Byleth.

Unless Sugiyama changes his ways (Which won't happen because he's old), I would rather have 4 Byleths than 1 Erdrick & 3 more characters.

So here is a ehh… remaining popular 1st Party character wave?

Rex, Springman, Dixie, Bandana Dee & Waluigi.

Garbage, ok or decent?

Honestly? I might personally like that better than whatever we get.

Kirby has such a plethora of interesting characters and people still want Bandana Dee. smh

Please don't talk about my son like that ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.