• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit went through a phase where I wanted Toadsworth to be the playable Toad

Actually thinking about it now I'm not sure that phase ever ended

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is Toadette the first case of a spin-off Mario character being assimilated into the main games? I don't think even Wario appeared in an EAD game, unless SM64DS was handled by them.

She debuted in the one spin-off created by EAD (Mario Kart), so she is in a different situation from most spin-off characters.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai is going to subvert your expectations and bring back a lost soul from the gamecube era...

latest

Yada Blah Blah Blah Blah!
you simply can't do a setup like this and not make it a Geist joke

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the lack of any female characters it's a pretty good list were it true, albeit kind of weird that we get three gritty violent characters and also Banjo.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I put the Google leak up. I am Mr. Google.

I put Artorias in there because I haven't played Dark Souls and picked the dude on the box from Prepare To Die. I thought he was the main character!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No but actually, I wonder how much it would cost to put up a fake Google ad like that.

No but actually, I wonder how much it would cost to put up a fake Google ad like that.

Found a write-up. May or may not answer your question. TLDR Version:
  • Google Ads is based on an auction system that rewards businesses who have high-quality ad campaigns with lower costs and better ad placement.
  • You can exercise tight control over how your Google Ads budget is spentusing tactics like ad scheduling, geotargeting, and device targeting.
  • The average cost per click in Google Ads is between $1 and $2 on the search network. The average CPC on the Display Network is under $1.
  • The most expensive keywords in Google Ads and Bing Ads cost $50 or more per click. These are generally highly competitive keywords in industries that have high customer lifetime values, like law and insurance.
  • Giant retailers can spend up to $50 million per year on paid search in Google Ads.
  • The average small business using Google Ads spends between $9,000 and $10,000 per month on their Google paid search campaigns. That's $100,000 to $120,000 per year.

Source: https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2015/05/21/how-much-does-adwords-cost

So basically, whoever set this up set the keywords to point to a non-existent URL and then poured enough money into them so that they'd get at minimum noticed once they spread word around.

Seems so. Said person would most likely pretend to have "noticed" those search results and inform a channel or two that covers leaks and rumors in order to ensure it can spread before removing them. Though Nintendo could have also removed those ads. The URL does point to NOE's domain (returns a "Page Not Found" error) and there's the possibility that they would have noticed it and took them down.

Nov 28, 2018
Florida
The Google leak wasn't advertising a real page operated by Nintendo, though. "www.nintendo.nl/SmashBros/FightersPass" never existed.
This is untrue. The four main ads that are being analyzed RN all link to a real Nintendo UK page. I'll admit if I am corrected though, I'm double checking with duckmeat real quick.
But yes, any ads that link to a real Nintendo page can only be somebody with access to Nintendo's accounts or websites.

Nov 28, 2018
Florida
This is untrue. The four main ads that are being analyzed RN all link to a real Nintendo UK page. I'll admit if I am corrected though, I'm double checking with duckmeat real quick.
But yes, any ads that link to a real Nintendo page can only be somebody with access to Nintendo's accounts or websites.
Correcting myself here. It links to a UK page that 404's. However, it still has the Nintendo.co.uk domain name, which is not allowed to be advertised by anybody except those with access to Nintendo's websites or accounts. This entire situation is very odd.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I put a lot of time in the past making fake leaks but I can't imagine dropping hard cash down to do it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Correcting myself here. It links to a UK page that 404's. However, it still has the Nintendo.co.uk domain name, which is not allowed to be advertised by anybody except those with access to Nintendo's websites or accounts. This entire situation is very odd.
But how hard would it be to, for example, fake credentials sufficient for Google?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So the validity of this link is based on the 404 page linking to Nintendo.co.uk? There's no way that can be faked?

Nov 28, 2018
Florida
Feb 5, 2018

So its either someone internal trolling or its actually legit. I personally cant see what else it could be. But the Grinch fake went entirely unexplained on how it was possible, so idk.

That being said if its true, we get:

- A character representing the father of FPS (Doom)

- The last major NES franchise missing from Smash (Ninja Gaiden)

- The last major N64 franchise missing from Smash (Banjo)

- An RPG that changed the landscape of RPGs and made games rewarding again (Dark Souls)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying, advertising the Nintendo.co.uk domain overall, any page, fake or real, requires credentials.

That's a better question. I am unsure.

One of the counter arguments I'm seeing is that this is just google algorithms at work. I don't get it myself but has someone come up for an explanation for that?

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I'm saying, advertising the Nintendo.co.uk domain overall, any page, fake or real, requires credentials.

That's a better question. I am unsure.

Unless they changed this recently, and I don't have an AdWords account anymore to check, that shouldn't be true. You choose keywords and link to a website. So if I'm selling a book on Amazon, I can link to the Amazon page. You then have to compete with others on the keywords used. It can get costly the more competition you have.

There's nothing stopping me from advertising for Amazon for my book anymore than someone could make a fake ad on Google to advertise on Nintendo. That response looks more like they're saying they can't get into your account to advertise, not that they can't create their own account to do so- but it doesn't look like the whole question was there in the Twitter post.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If the leak ends up being true, I'm completely 50/50 on it.

Banjo and Doomslayer are rad, but Hayabusa and Artorias would be soooooooooo boooooooring.

At least there's no Steve or some dumb indie characters.

Feb 5, 2018
Unless they changed this recently, and I don't have an AdWords account anymore to check, that shouldn't be true. You choose keywords and link to a website. So if I'm selling a book on Amazon, I can link to the Amazon page. You then have to compete with others on the keywords used. It can get costly the more competition you have.

There's nothing stopping me from advertising for Amazon for my book anymore than someone could make a fake ad on Google to advertise on Nintendo. That response looks more like they're saying they can't get into your account to advertise, not that they can't create their own account to do so- but it doesn't look like the whole question was there in the Twitter post.

Yes but are you linking directly to your book or to Amazon itself? Different things.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
People that don't think Ryu Hayabusa could be cool are probably people that haven't played a lot of Ninja Gaiden.

... I mean, I haven't either; those birds are literally impossible & I don't know why they made a kill screen in an NES platformer.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was being facetious.

Honestly I think Ryu could stand out from them but yeah...that and we'd have TWO Ryu though I imagine they'll get around this by calling him Ryu Hayabusa as his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.