• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I still like seeing new rumors/leaks, but I don't believe it.

I'm curious about the insiders though. They could stay silent because it's not widely believed yet, or because things became rather ugly last time with the Grinch leak. So we're probably on our own here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
18b.jpg

PAC-MAN_SSBU_Skill_Preview_Up_Special.png

Already in Smash.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that character must have something unique to them is annoying because Sakurai just flat out creates stuff for some fighters or uses random references from games themselves rather than characters powers.

It mostly works but it's odd at times. Pac-man is more classic Namco rep rather than just being… Pac-man.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How many do really count Ryu as last classic Nintendo 3rd party? I wonder if he is pushing it, as Castlevania had much bigger Nintendo presence over Ninja Gaiden.

Hayabusa seems to have gotten a more recent push as an NES icon. Ninja Gaiden was one of the games on the NES Classic (all regions), and it is on the NES app of Switch Online. And the original NES game was released on the Wii VC, 3DS VC, and Wii U VC in all regions. (And the Arcade game recently went up on the Switch eShop.)

Not saying Hayabusa's confirmed, but the signs are there that Nintendo does think highly of the series. (This is without even getting into Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on the Wii U themselves outside of Japan.)

Gentlepanda

Apr 22, 2019
I think it's worth noting that the google ads (and to my knowledge, they don't exist anymore), only responded to very specific phrases: "artorias smash bros ultimate"/"artorias super smash bros ultimate", and the like. Contrast that with Joker, whose ad (still) appears on any combination of "joker", "super", "smash", "bros", and "utltimate". It's much cheaper to put an advertisement up on very specific long key phrases than it is to muscle on actual words that Nintendo themselves are using to promote Joker.

The 'SmashBros/FightersPass' URL is 'real' in that the real Joker ad uses it to redirect to the nintendo.co.uk Smash Ultimate page, but that's a moot point. Anyone can put an ad up on any URL. That's how the fake ads replicated the site's star ratings and randomized phrase order of the Joker ad - it's just pulling that information directly from the real one while making the title more generic and replacing the search terms required to find it.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm still standing by the Google thing being fake.

Too easy (albeit expensive) to fake, the whole story about accidentally putting up ads early is really farfetched, and the character line-up just doesn't seem likely to me at all for a variety of reasons.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Remember, whenever someone says that the google leak is too expensive, never forget the lengths in which people can go to develop hoaxes.
Like a certain green hairy dude.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Artorias is the only incredibly unlikely character there to me. What's wrong with the rest of the lineup?
I could see a reasonable argument for each character individually, but taking them all together they don't seem to be a likely group. As others have pointed out, it's 4 edgy dudes in dark clothing + Banjo. To mean, this screams something a fan would come up with, but not something Nintendo would. This group of characters seems to play very directly to one specific kind of fans' of taste.

It's not solid evidence or anything, that's just what my intuition says after having followed dozens of fake character leaks over the years.

One particular sticking point for me is that I really do expect to see at least one female character in the DLC. I seriously think Nintendo would make the effort to include at least one.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So is Heihachi and yet people keep arguing for him.

(Also those are Pooka, not Dig-Dug himself)
past... my reply wasn't that serious

but I can guarantee you that Dig Dug and Mappy won't be playable in Smash. Pac-Man's roulette taunt is clearly supposed to make him serve as the retro Namco rep (and he literally steals his Up-B from Mappy too). It's time for a modern Bandai Namco rep like Mr. Driller.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I could see something like a big blowout for Erdrick, gameplay, stage, spirits all getting shown off an an announcement of his release date if not a same day drop, while the third character gets their teaser trailer.

Just a Smash Bros logo and a Banjo laugh, cut to black, direct ends.

"Guh huh!"

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Remember, whenever someone says that the google leak is too expensive, never forget the lengths in which people can go to develop hoaxes.
Like a certain green hairy dude.

It may have been relatively cheap. You can set ads to stop showing up after you hit a monetary limit. I used to set stuff to like $10 to see if they would show up.

But I don't think anyone is listening to me on this anyways, so something something Banjo hard lock something something Toadette is actually brave.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It may have been relatively cheap. You can set ads to stop showing up after you hit a monetary limit. I used to set stuff to like $10 to see if they would show up.

But I don't think anyone is listening to me on this anyways, so something something Banjo hard lock something something Toadette is actually brave.
No one here believes in the Google Leak anyway, so it doesn't matter how cheap or expensive the ads were to make. No need to have self-pity over this.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought this scene was really weird. My first impression was like, Toadette had a crush on Mario but was too shy to say it, like Vivian (unlike Flurrie, who is not shy to say it).

Mario was a chick magnet in that game.
Basically every non-npc girl in the game had a crush on him. It was a weird route to go in.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I see two female characters there. Three if the Erdrick rumour pans out.
You'd primarily control Banjo & Female Erdrick likely won't be the default. It's like saying that the darker-skinned Inklings & Villagers count as black/brown representation, it's basically a half-step at best & a consolation prize at worst (one I use as my main Inkling of choice).

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
You'd primarily control Banjo & Female Erdrick likely won't be the default. It's like saying that the darker-skinned Inklings & Villagers count as black/brown representation, it's basically a half-step (one I use as my main Inkling of choice).
1) If you have ever played Banjo-Kazooie you realise that you control both Banjo and Kazooie. Hell, Kazooie is the one in charge of most of the offensive and traversal movement.
2) So you don't count Robin and Corrin?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
1) If you have ever played Banjo-Kazooie you realise that you control both Banjo and Kazooie. Hell, Kazooie is the one in charge of most of the offensive and traversal movement.
2) So you don't count Robin and Corrin?
  1. I'm aware, hence why I said primarily.
  2. No, I don't count Robin & Corrin for the same reason (their female variants aren't the default versions).

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
  1. I'm aware, hence why I said primarily.
  2. No, I don't count Robin & Corrin for the same reason (their female variants aren't the default versions).
1. Primarily implies that Banjo is the one in charge when in reality the role is very 50/50.
2. I feel like that is a very petty hill to die on in the case of Smash in particular, even if I agree we need more female characters in general. I don't think this discussion will lead anywhere fruitful.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
What if the google leak really was created by Nintendo, but as an intentional red herring? 10D Chess.

No, I don't count Robin & Corrin for the same reason (their female variants aren't the default versions).
Corrin really should have been default female if most marketing materials are to be believed. Sakurai dropped the ball there.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Like 75% of Banjo's moveset would involve Kazooie doing the actual attack

She does most of the work in the series. Banjo just carries her around.
1. Primarily implies that Banjo is the one in charge when in reality the role is very 50/50.
2. I feel like that is a very petty hill to die on in the case of Smash in particular, even if I agree we need more female characters in general. I don't think this discussion will lead anywhere fruitful.
Kazooie does the attack, yes, but it's Banjo that moves & directs said attacks. It's similar to the Ice Climbers in how I count them, that being by counting Popo since he's the primary Ice Climber by default.

Overall, I've made my stance clear in the past that defaults matter. Female Corrin may have gotten lucky with her Amiibo with Cloud & Bayo, but the other non-default variants weren't as fortunate.

Corrin really should have been default female if most marketing materials are to be believed. Sakurai dropped the ball there.
Agreed, it was a really weird hill for Sakurai to die on.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Kazooie does the attack, yes, but it's Banjo that moves & directs said attacks. It's similar to the Ice Climbers in how I count them, that being by counting Popo since he's the primary Ice Climber by default.

Overall, I've made my stance clear in the past that defaults matter. Female Corrin may have gotten lucky with her Amiibo with Cloud & Bayo, but the other non-default variants weren't as fortunate.

Agreed, it was a really weird hill for Sakurai to die on.
Dumb to assume He's dying on a hill when IS where the ones to switch Corrins later on.

For all we know IS might not even care about it in Smash.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Dumb to assume He's dying on a hill when IS where the ones to switch Corrins later on.

For all we know IS might not even care about it in Smash.
At the very least, her popularity was made apparent immediately. If IS completely kept Sakurai out of the loop on the change, maybe. But switching defaults shouldn't have been that hard.

MonkeyDLenny

Apr 15, 2019
Allow me to play devil's advocate for the lineup:

If Google Theory IS true, our lineup would amount to..

Two New Generation Reps
Three Old Generation Reps

Joker: Protagonist of what's considered to be one of the greatest modern era RPG
Artorias: An odd pick, but a undeniable fan favorite from a new and affluent Japanese IP that influenced a bunch of western games, plus he's the face of the Prepare To Die campaign. (Also being a Bamco property doesn't hurt his chances either
Banjo: Mascot of the N64 and even after the buyout, people still associate him purely with Nintendo.
Doomslayer: The grandfather of all FPS, even Sakurai has acknowledged Doom
Ryu Hayabusa: Deep roots within the NES era; and what some consider to be the one missing NES character from the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.