• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So is the common thought that doom guy and Ryu Hayabusa are the last dlc characters?
The common thought is that the final DLC may or may not be from a fighting game and could be female (or even male!) from a company like Bamco/Capcom/Bethesda/other because some Mii costumes may or may not return with code that points to a character with a ponytail and that also comes with a companion. Also their background colours is not red, lilac or yellow.

Hope that narrowed things down for you.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The common thought is that the final DLC may or may not be from a fighting game and could be female (or even male!) from a company like Bamco/Capcom/Bethesda/other because some Mii costumes may or may not return with code that points to a character with a ponytail and that also comes with a companion. Also their background colours is not red, lilac or yellow.

Hope that narrowed things down for you.
That was so undiscript till the end and now you've got me thinking

Edit: dammit just saw your username

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how we can have people claiming Monster Hunter is deconfirmed cause of Rathalos but who still believe spirits don't mean anything.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the Mii costumes returning is no guarantee either, and that's what the costume theory assumes in order for it to work.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: dammit just saw your username
ROFL

But seriously, those are all random ideas people have been pushing.

All the Mii costumes returning is no guarantee either, and that's what the costume theory assumes in order for it to work.
As someone who jokingly came up with the theory (hint: it was just another way to say Haruka is coming) the thing is pretty flawed.

On one hand it says the Bamco and Capcom costumes must come with a Bamco and Capcom rep much like the Sonic costumes came with a Sega rep, but on the other it accepts that other Sega costumes (the Virtua Fighter ones) can come with a non-Sega rep. At that point you may as well accept costumes can come whenever.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Every Smash theory is pretty much just based around huge assumptions that may or may not be true. The only garuntee in Smash speculation is that someone will be disapointed with the outcome.

As someone who jokingly came up with the theory (hint: it was just another way to say Haruka is coming) the thing is pretty flawed.

On one hand it says the Bamco and Capcom costumes must come with a Bamco and Capcom rep much like the Sonic costumes came with a Sega rep, but on the other it accepts that other Sega costumes (the Virtua Fighter ones) can come with a non-Sega rep. At that point you may as well accept costumes can come whenever.
Yeah, costume theory can crack really quickly, and it was fun to humor at first, but it's easily becoming the most boring theory to discuss (though, if Box Theory is anything to go by, that might actually be a point in favor of it).

We'll get Lloyd and Gil's costumes alongside Hero in 4.0, and i'll pretend to be shocked.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I guess the direction I'm seeing this is that 3rd parties have never had content distributed evenly in Smash, and I don't see it happening in this DLC either.

For instance there was a lot of speculation we would see 2nd series from SEGA and Bamco after Ryu's reveal in Smash 4, but a Bamco newcomer didn't come and their costumes were released whenever.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If we get a female character I reckon it's either going to be a Granblue/Cygames rep (Katalina or Vania/Vampy), or a Fate rep.

Lara Croft just seems unlikely given the current franchise direction, 2B has been ruled out, Jill feels like people are projecting to dismiss the fact that both Chris and Leon are way more prominent characters and there's been no precedent of a third party series being introduced with a less prominent character, and Chun-Li seems like a weak pick if Capcom got the opportunity to add yet another rep.

Morrigan, Kos-Mos, and Tracer could very well be in the "maybe" pile.
But if you had to choose between Chun-Li & Morrigan, Chun-Li would be the stronger pick that would garner more hype.

As for Tracer, wasn't there a rumor for Overwatch on Switch 2 years ago? I feel like if it was gonna happen, it would have happened by now.

May 5, 2018
You may have already seen the thread here about this, but Pete Hines (Bethesda) was a guest on the Nintendo Power Podcast's E3 episode, and he had something interesting to say...

• Talks about Doom; specifically about it being the 25th anniversary.
  • "We've got a lot of stuff planned at Quakecon and who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans along the way".
Now, where has Pete Hines been referenced in Smash speculation before? Oh yeah:

HHMMMM...

Aw man I'm already happy with the season pass for Banjo-Kazooie alone, but Doom Guy would be icing on the cake for me! If Sakurai and Nintendo worked to get Grant Kirkhope to remix Spiral Mountain, I hope they hook up Mick Gordon for some fresh DOOM tracks. Or might as well get music that's already in DOOM (2016) and Eternal.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I will be really surprised if Nintendo allowed Bethesda guy to tease a Smash character like that. Instead I expect some port. Maybe a classic Doom port, huge bonus points if they take a look at source port community and construct a Doom Maker.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I will be really surprised if Nintendo allowed Bethesda guy to tease a Smash character like that. Instead I expect some port. Maybe a classic Doom port, huge bonus points if they take a look at source port community and construct a Doom Maker.

How would that be considered a "special surprise for Nintendo fans?" The first two games and their popular mod support have no history with Nintendo. Steretypical Nintendo fans wouldn't give a hoot about them to be honest.

Seems like a tease for Smash and/or Doom 64 appearing on a potential N64 Classic.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to Doom and news that would please Nintendo fans, I have a feeling it might be Doom 64 related.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I had a dream where the last two characters where Trevor Belmont (who looked exactly like he does in the netflix show) and Pearl/Marina (duo)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
How would that be considered a "special surprise for Nintendo fans?" The first two games and their popular mod support have no history with Nintendo. Steretypical Nintendo fans wouldn't give a hoot about them to be honest.

Seems like a tease for Smash and/or Doom 64 appearing on a potential N64 Classic.
Stereotypical Nintendo fan is an interesting construct that seems to vary wildly, but I don't remember stumbling upon a definition which would include both shunning enhanced ports of classic games from other platforms and enjoying representatives of franchises of such classic games entering the Nintendo crossover. I'd rather expect the inverse of both.

Doom 64 stuff is a possibility, of course.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Akm7C7.gif

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not buying it. Doesn't Waluigi's inclusion contradict Reggie's statements about the characters being brand-new to Smash? There doesn't seem to be any way to verify this claim atm anyway.

Also, Frisk doesn't strike me as the combative type, if you take the true pacifist route as the canon one.

My idea is that Frisk would summon their friends for their Specials/Smashes; their normals/tilts would be them attacking with some of the lesser weapons in Undertale.

The friends they summon would be Toriel, Papyrus, Sans, Undyne, Alphys & Asgore. This way you could represent the game's themes of power in friendship/love. You could also represent each section of the game, since they're all centered around a specific character.

Nov 13, 2017
Female fighting game characters:

CAPCOM
Chun-Li
Morrigan

SNK
Mai Shiranui
Athena Asamiya
Nakoruru
Kula Diamond

KOEI TECMO
Kasumi
Ayane

I think any of these would be great. Chun-Li deserves it more than anyone, but Morrigan would be really cool and it would add another new series. Mai would be equally amazing, but she might be too sexual.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Dk and diddy I can get past, especially diddy. Bowser absolutely needs his voice. It's become iconic.
Bowser is the most off putting of them all, because all Mario characters got their proper voice clips (even if I'd argue that Mario and Luigi really needed to be re-recorded to reflect better they main series counterpart), and even Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings got to speak.

DK got an iconic voice too, imo.. his current voice actor has been voicing him since what? Jungle Beat in 2004? that's a long ass time.. For the consistence having Diddy and K. Rool (Paon games and Super Sluggers) having their current voices wouldn't hurt either.

--on side note; Pac-Man not having his death sound effect as a Star K.O. or Piranha Plant having its cry from Yoshi's Island is a crime.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Female fighting game characters:

CAPCOM
Chun-Li
Morrigan

SNK
Mai Shiranui
Athena Asamiya
Nakoruru
Kula Diamond

KOEI TECMO
Kasumi
Ayane

I think any of these would be great. Chun-Li deserves it more than anyone, but Morrigan would be really cool and it would add another new series. Mai would be equally amazing, but she might be too sexual.
My thought would be Morrigan or Kasumi.

Street Fighter already has so much representation it just doesn't feel like it would have the impact of a new series.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The next and last fighter in the pack needs to be another female and no better one would be Alis Landsle from Phantasy Star.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thought would be Morrigan or Kasumi.

Street Fighter already has so much representation it just doesn't feel like it would have the impact of a new series.
The thing is, Chun-Li is far and away more popular and well known than either of those two. She also is totally an icon, and the first major female gaming icon at that. She completely makes sense for this game even if there is already Street Fighter representation.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The thing is, Chun-Li is far and away more popular and well known than either of those two. She also is totally an icon, and the first major female gaming icon at that. She completely makes sense for this game even if there is already Street Fighter representation.
And on top of that, most of SF's representation in Smash is limited to SFII. While I wouldn't put money on Chun-Li just yet, there's enough of a gap that she could fill with music, spirits, & other content. For reference, Darkstalkers isn't even ranked on the Capcom Platinum Page.
CyberNeon said:
Capcom Series Sales Ranking

Resident Evil - 91M (128 SKU)
Monster Hunter - 54M (43 SKU)
Street Fighter - 42M (91 SKU)
Megaman - 35M (152 SKU)
Devil May Cry - 20M (29 SKU)
Dead Rising - 13M (22 SKU)
Marvel Vs Capcom - 9.1M (16 SKU)
Onimusha - 8.2M (16 SKU)
Ace Attorney - 6.9M (29 SKU)
Lost Planet - 6.1M (17 SKU)
Dino Crisis - 4.4M (13 SKU)
Ghosts and Goblins - 4.2M ( 14 SKU )
Dragon's Dogma - 4.4M ( 12 SKU )
Sengoku BASARA - 4M ( 30 SKU )
Breath Of Fire - 3.2M (15 SKU)
Final Fight - 3.2M (10 SKU)
Okami - 2.6M ( 11 SKU )
1942- 1.4M ( 3 SKU )
Commando - 1.2M ( 2 SKU )
That's how obscure it is. Yeah, Morrigan has near-perfect attendance in the Versus games. But to be frank, most of the successful Versus games were carried by the companies that Capcom crossed over with outside of CvS/SvC (again, I say this as a huge fan of the Versus games), thus allowing for Capcom to go more obscure with their picks. You don't really have the same luxury with DLC. With how dead Banjo-Kazooie is as an IP, at least they sold millions when they were active. Even Persona is selling millions.

I could see Dead or Alive having some impact overall, but Darkstalkers would have much of an impact. And even then, Chun-Li would eclipse both Morrigan & Kasumi combined (with the Potara Fusion multiplier).

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Street Fighter feels like one of the few series that can justify having multiple characters. Chun Li in particular is just so much more important to gaming than other female fighters like Kasumi, Morrigan and Nakoruru. It'd be really special to see her fight along side somebody like Samus. It's one of the reason I really want Super Smash Sisters. (So long as it's not a watered down fan-service title)

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter feels like one of the few series that can justify having multiple characters. Chun Li in particular is just so much more important to gaming than other female fighters like Kasumi, Morrigan and Nakoruru. It'd be really special to see her fight along side somebody like Samus. It's one of the reason I really want Super Smash Sisters. (So long as it's not a watered down fan-service title)
It also helps that Chun-Li is the only character besides Ryu to have perfect attendance across every Versus game. Likewise, when you think Street Fighter, you think of both Ryu & Chun-Li. It also helps that there's a treasure-trove of music from SFA, III, IV, & V to pull from that the base game outright ignored. Hell, the base game didn't even include Akuma's theme.

Again, I'm not saying that Chun-Li is a safe bet. But if this female fighting game character rumor has any merit, Chun-Li would be far & away the front-runner.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate the idea of Chun-Li being in Smash Bros., but it feels like a waste getting a third Street Fighter character when there are still so many popular series without any representation at all.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't hate the idea of Chun-Li being in Smash Bros., but it feels like a waste getting a third Street Fighter character when there are still so many popular series without any representation at all.
I mean, if it's a female fighting game character, she's the only realistic option that would sell well as DLC. Maybe Kasumi could move units, but the likes of Morrigan & Nakoruru (as much as I like them) were hella obscure even at their prime.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They should had included Chun li over ken in Ultimate.
At this point her inclusion would be meh.
To be fair, Ken was an easy echo. Adding Chun-Li would have come at the cost of one of the unique characters that were either Day 1 or likely supposed to be Day 1 (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, & Piranha Plant).

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are far, far more people who have at least heard of Morrigan or who have played her in any game than there are people who actually bought a Darkstalkers game. I don't think she stands a good chance anyway, but she's shown up in enough fighting games that I don't think she would get "literal who?" reactions from gamers. I mean MvC series alone is at 9m sales and she's been like the most recurring Capcom character after Ryu and Chun-Li.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There are far, far more people who have at least heard of Morrigan or who have played her in a game than there are people who actually bought a Darkstalkers game. I don't think she stands a good chance anyway, but she's shown up in enough fighting games that I don't think she would get "literal who?" reactions from gamers.
But at that point, you'd might as well go for more relevant characters like Kasumi or Nakoruru (the latter of whom, while obscure, is actually active).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Morrigan would be included as a representative of Darkstalkers, a series that failed at arcades and sold fewer than a million units combined between countless console ports. It would be, by far, the most obscure third-party series in Smash Bros. It just doesn't have the pedigree to get in. Even a Morrigan assist trophy or Mii costume would be a miracle.

Deleted member 52093

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2019
But at that point, you'd might as well go for more relevant characters like Kasumi or Nakoruru (the latter of whom, while obscure, is actually active).
Since when does relevant mean a damn, especially when Banjo is going to be a playable character? If the character is well-known enough and/or has a ton of fan demand and legacy behind them, that's all that matters.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fail to see how Kasumi or Morrigan would be worse then Joker.

I wouldn't hate Chun-li, I'd like her more then a RE character if nothing else, but it would just be so boring.

I just don't see how we go from three completely new and original characters just to spurt out "oh yeah here's a third Street Fighter character."

I honestly think this board can focus way to much on how much a series sales. Especially in regards to characters like Morrigan who's name carries more value then the series she's from.

But I guess if we did that we might actually talk about different series and goodness knows we can't have that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Since when does relevant mean a damn, especially when Banjo is going to be a playable character? If the character is well-known enough and/or has a ton of fan demand and legacy behind them, that's all that matters.
Banjo at least sold millions at his height. The same can't be said for Morrigan, who also doesn't have nearly as much fan demand behind her as Banjo did.

Status
Not open for further replies.