• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sakurai's hands are going to fall off if they do another DLC season. Is that what you want?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The only argument I've seen against it so far is "they haven't done it before" - which isn't really satisfactory to me

That's shifting the burden of proof though. If you're claiming that mythical unannounced DLC will exist, it's up to you to support that; it's not our job to make arguments why it won't exist. Right now that DLC not existing is the status quo.

(And as far as arguments why it won't exist go, being inconsistent with all of Nintendo's past DLC strategies actually isn't a bad one.)

Again, I hope we see more DLC than the announced Fighters Pass! But I see no reason to believe that we will, and quite a few reasons – diminishing returns, burnout, the desire to pursue other strategic opportunities, Nintendo's past DLC schedules – to suspect that we won't.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Again, he apologized for Rex not being in at the time he said that. Unless you believe we're not getting any characters after FP1, his comments have no bearing on whether Rex gets in.

Sakurai said Rex wasn't getting in around the same time the DLC was decided by Nintendo. That's why we shouldn't expect him in the fighter's pass. We have no reason to expect another season of DLC, no matter how much I may want it. You sound like SHS with all these "again"s

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai's hands are going to fall off if they do another DLC season. Is that what you want?
One more character in the next 5 years is surely doable.

That's shifting the burden of proof though. If you're claiming that mythical unannounced DLC will exist, it's up to you to support that; it's not our job to make arguments why it won't exist. Right now that DLC not existing is the status quo.

(And as far as arguments why it won't exist go, being inconsistent with all of Nintendo's past DLC strategies actually isn't a bad one.)

Again, I hope we see more DLC than the announced Fighters Pass! But I see no reason to believe that we will, and quite a few reasons – diminishing returns, burnout, the desire to pursue other strategic opportunities, Nintendo's past DLC schedules – to suspect that we won't.
And I don't find those same arguments convincing. You seem to be under the impression that I'm here to try and convince you that it's going to happen. I'm not. I'm here to tell you why I believe what I believe, nothing more. If you don't want to believe it, that's your prerogative. Just as you're free to believe the Earth is flat.

Sakurai said Rex wasn't getting in around the same time the DLC was decided by Nintendo. That's why we shouldn't expect him in the fighter's pass. We have no reason to expect another season of DLC, no matter how much I may want it. You sound like SHS with all these "again"s
Again (for the 500th time), who said there will be another Fighter Pass?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
And I don't find those same arguments convincing. You seem to be under the impression that I'm here to try and convince you that it's going to happen. I'm not. I'm here to tell you why I believe what I believe, nothing more. If you don't want to believe it, that's your prerogative. Just as you're free to believe the Earth is flat.

You don't actually have an argument though. Your argument is just "they're going to do it."

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Why did you set this joke up?
rayman_stunnedvfkp6.png

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Like I said earlier in this thread, my litmus test is "if I haven't heard of them, they won't be in Smash." At least for third parties.

The only characters in Smash I had never heard of before their debut were Ice Climbers, Marth/Roy (duh), and Lucina.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Again (for the 500th time), who said there will be another Fighter Pass?

Piranha Plant is the only example of DLC not in the fighter's pass format. But he was included as a bonus for preordering the game. Something that wouldn't happen again for this title. If there is any evidence for DLC in some form other than a fighter's pass or a preorder bonus, then I'd like to see it. So either we are getting another fighter's pass, which some people in here have mentioned, or we are not getting further DLC for this title. I'd love it if there were 3 passes but who knows at this point.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though, what are we looking at?
Vania (or Vampy as she's known in Japan) is a really popular Granblue unit, something of a faux-mascot. Both her and Katalina fit vague descriptions of "looks like they could be from a fighting game" considering one resembles Morrigan Aensland/Rachel Alucard and the other literally is in a fighting game right now. A Granblue rep was never off the table, after all.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Piranha Plant is the only example of DLC not in the fighter's pass format. But he was included as a bonus for preordering the game. Something that wouldn't happen again for this title. If there is any evidence for DLC in some form other than a fighter's pass or a preorder bonus, then I'd like to see it. So either we are getting another fighter's pass, which some people in here have mentioned, or we are not getting further DLC for this title. I'd love it if there were 3 passes but who knows at this point.
Do you have evidence to back this up? Other than "there's no evidence right now"?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
latest

She does look pretty fighting gammey.(This is just the first thing I thought of after seeing her brought up before.)
Fans of the JoJo Stardust Crusaders Fighting game will get PTSD from the reveal…
card_petshop.png

Honestly that tweet is vaguest shit ever so i suggest this

1560656478849.png
Another popular Japanese character that many Western fans seem to overlook.
What are the chances that Dragon Quest gets the same amount of music as Persona, and S-E and Sakurai bless us with an additional batch of Final Fantasy tunes and some Final Fantasy spirits as a free update? This is S-E's time to shine and make their fans happy!
I'd say there's a chance for some more DQ tunes being in, though maybe getting four characters in one was a way to balance things out to make the value of the pack fairer if we only get the two tracks we've heard.

As for more Final Fantasy music… HA HA HA HA HA!
Same guy came back a few times, tweeted in English more specifics about the character. Specifically that it's a female character that "looks like they're from a fighting game". According to him, it's his friend who actually saw the character, not him, and he's just relaying the info from them.

Actually, thinking about it, would it be worthwhile maybe to tweet female gaming characters to this guy to see if he can get his friend to see if he recognizes them as the character he saw? We might be able to figure out who it is based on that.
No. Please don't do this. Don't make someone's life a living hell by badgering them non-stop with random pictures of female videogame characters…

Alright, sent the female fighting game guy a tweet with some Jill pics, hopefully he can check in with his friend and confirm or deny her.

Man, Jill's design has been all over the place, huh?

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Everyone else: PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!
So if it is legitimately a female fighting game character, then they're definitely getting revealed at EVO, right? There's no better place to unveil a character fitting that description.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
12b872cadd6e21446a792be3259bab819a31773406a8ba98fe0619abcd442c3c.jpg

So far we have red/purple/yellow so the last two colors could be green and blue to complement them. Or so goes the theory.
The colour theory is silly in the first place, but the fact you've reduced the complete spectrum of possible colours to just two is outright hilarious. More hilarious than the EVO idea above.
I loved the game.

Buuut that would be a controvertial choice. For several reasons.

Also they got a Mii fighter along with a message from Sakurai saying "Sorry they couldn't make it"
They? How do you unlock the Pyra Mii costume?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The colour theory is silly in the first place, but the fact you've reduced the complete spectrum of possible to just two is outright hilarious. More hilarious than the EVO idea above.

I said "could be," not "definitively are." I don't even really believe the theory, lol.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Amaterasu and Issun
The Prince of All Cosmos and The King of All Cosmos

Done; roster confirmed.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The XBC2 rep should be Nia instead of Rex and Pyra. The game really needs to up its Welsh quotient.
They'll added Wooloo to the next game to fulfil that.
It's a who.

I for one really like that this is a go-to reaction image on Smash Era now.
So go-to that is the first time I've seen it used and it failed to even get its point across without an explanation.
I like the companion theory because it works in Nakoruru's favor. :)
1457775168027.gif

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So go-to that is the first time I've seen it used and it failed to even get its point across without an explanation.
I've seen it used a few times already (though it's probably been TheDinoman every time, so maybe it isn't a go-to), and I got it the first time without an explaination so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We already have Sword Goku, lol.
Yeah, but this one would be even more Goku than Sword Goku (since she's one of many Sun Wukong-inspired characters).

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked how little respect is there towards tetris that tetronimos aren't mentioned as a legit inclusion. Tetris was huge for Nintendo.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked how little respect is there towards tetris that tetronimos aren't mentioned as a legit inclusion. Tetris was huge for Nintendo.

Tetris if it was repped would make more sense as a stage or a assist trophy than a playable character, and we aren't expecting any of those in the fighter pass (since stages are all attached to a character).

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying there is not evidence to expect another pass. Anyone suggesting that there will be another one would need to support their position with evidence
It's amazing how many times I have to repeat this, but I never said there would be another pass. Just more DLC. As for the reasons I believe that, they are as follows:

1) They have clearly put more effort into beefing up this game's roster than any in the past.
2) This game came out near the start of its console's lifespan, which means we're likely not going to get another one for a long time.
3) This game is immensely popular and DLC for it will be popular as well.
4) The Fighter Pass is, by all signs, only third-party characters. No DLC first-party characters seems extremely unlikely (and no, I don't count Piranha Plant since it was available for free).

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So anyway, I saw the tweet clarifying that the rep is female and looks like they could belong to a fighting game, but not nessessarily from one. Considering the source is at Bamco we all know what female heavy series they are surrounded by. So I used my detective skills to work out who they could be referring to!

61539627.png

Makoto Kikuchi from the iDOLM@STER!

Just look at that get-up. If you saw that you'd think they'd come from a fighting game right? Plus there's over 200 girls in the series so it's not surprising if they don't know them all by name. Even I'd struggle to name them all.

Hey, at least it's a change from saying Haruka Amami right?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

It would be hilarious if, after all the fretting over Steve being ugly and "just six blocks," we got a fighter made out of Tetris blocks.

No, I don't know what their moveset would be.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
My insider source is telling me that we'll get a Tetris 99 stage, which will display 98 tiny Smash matches occuring at the same time.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Cloud will never get in.
Completely different situation, but sure. If there was a Tetris stage, there is absolutely no concievable reason why Nintendo would not mandate it to be themed around a game they published and are continously pushing as a key part of their subscription service.

Status
Not open for further replies.