• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What if Nana from Ice Climbers was the only female representation we had in Melee's additions to the roster, except even worse?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly more into picks like Lip, Mach Rider, and Dixie Kong and changes like defaulting Villager and Corrin female because I figure it's far easier to dive deeper into Nintendo's giant library for female characters than to attempt to get other third-parties onboard with the same. Sakurai is already extremely passive regarding this, don't exactly need more hands in the pot if we don't need to.

Hell, Sakurai managed to turn Kid fucking Icarus into a major highlight character. C'mon.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, where third-party superstars are concerned, what are everyone's Top 10 PoC picks, and Top 10 female picks? We've mentioned Jill, Lara Croft and Tracer - who are some other third-party faves?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
BBYPVjG.png

this is what it feels like everyone goes "but kazooie"

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean yes? Adol deserves to be in Smash over Estelle or any Trails character, and I fucking love Trails. The Ys series even has a bigger history on Nintendo platforms even if we started getting Trails ports. Plus search your feelings if someone from Trails got in it would be Rean to push the Cold Steel games the same way Luminary is the face of DQ to push 11S.
I was making a joke because there was a period of time where it seemed every time I suggested KOS-MOS, someone would jump in and say "What about Lloyd Irving?"

And it's like...if I wanted Lloyd, I'd have brought him up.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope Sakurai at least gives us free bonus echoes. Dixie could be a Diddy echo with some DK moves for her ponytail (helicopter spin, ground pound, grab and carry).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if first party characters are left as backup plans in case any third party dealings fell through.

Though judging by the time the information came through for Tansut's DQ rep and Papa Geno's potentially legit mystery microsoft source for Banjo, I'd guess they were all planned out in advance.

Anyway, Dixie Kong is the uniting hero we all need, throw in either a Xeno or ARMs lass in for slot 5, boom we're in business.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Completely apropos of nothing: speaking of ports... how the hell is Symphony Of The Night not on a Nintendo console yet?
Game getting a straightish up-port way after initial release without emulation being involved seemed extremely rare until recently (yes, there were some cases like Mario All-Stars, but PS3 really made it a thing) unless it involved moving to handheld. So it would be GBA or NDS. And GBA would be ludicrously involved. Both systems also got multiple original games, for all I know they could have started with a port attempt. And Sony platforms had emulated SotN and the PSP port, so the incentive to just make it available was lessened. (Plus, PSP didn't get much else.)

Now no port right now, that is kinda confusing, but let's not shun the summer before the nuclear winter update, or however it goes.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm honestly more into picks like Lip, Mach Rider, and Dixie Kong and changes like defaulting Villager and Corrin female because I figure it's far easier to dive deeper into Nintendo's giant library for female characters than to attempt to get other third-parties onboard with the same. Sakurai is already extremely passive regarding this, don't exactly need more hands in the pot if we don't need to.
Actually, I had a similar idea for Villager in a potential retooling for the character in the next Smash game (based on their New Horizons incarnations).

Switch_AnimalCrossingNH_E3_screen_023.0.jpeg

But yeah, I have no idea why Sakurai didn't change Corrin to be female by default in Ultimate.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Anyway,

Tracer.

I think she has a shot, I really do. She's probably the most iconic new character from this generation of consoles, and they've shown a willingness to add newer third-party characters with Joker.

We can talk about "requirements" like being on a Nintendo console, but let's be real. Cloud didn't get in because of his cameo appearances in Kingdom Hearts, he got in because he's Cloud and he's a hugely popular character. I don't think the "well, technically he was on a Nintendo console in cameo roles first!" thing was a requirement to being in Smash. If Tracer had a cameo role in Diablo III for Switch, would she all of a sudden be a contender, but without that, she's not? That seems silly, and I kind of doubt Nintendo thinks of things in that way.

To say nothing of the (rather high IMO) possibility of an Overwatch Switch port.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh it's sad when the only female characters that get brought up are Jill and Dixie.

I know Nintendo has a lot more, but a lot of them are either clone/echo material or are companion types like Kazooie.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I had a similar idea for Villager in a potential retooling for the character in the next Smash game (based on their New Horizons incarnations).

Switch_AnimalCrossingNH_E3_screen_023.0.jpeg

But yeah, I have no idea why Sakurai didn't change Corrin to be female by default in Ultimate.
That's a neat idea. The redhead girl Villager from New Horizons would also give us visual variety in hair color on the roster.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
We can talk about "requirements" like being on a Nintendo console, but let's be real. Cloud didn't get in because of his cameo appearances in Kingdom Hearts, he got in because he's Cloud and he's a hugely popular character. I don't think the "well, technically he was on a Nintendo console in cameo roles first!" thing was a requirement to being in Smash.

I mean, this is literally what Sakurai said:

Sakurai: At the same time, I think it's only natural to prioritize the character who enjoys worldwide popularity. I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.

You could say it's not a sure thing (and it isn't) but it clearly crossed his mind and he felt it was important enough to bring up.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What if the Virtual Boy is a newcomer. As in, the Virtual Boy itself:
virtual-boy.png

It even has legs! It's Final Smash stuns enemies by giving them headaches.
I would also settle for Elma and Dixie though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
People keep talking about this but I just don't see it. Switch doesn't even have Hearthstone, which makes at least twice as much sense.

(Not that that's stopping Tracer from getting in. See Persona 5.)
Tracer is still a western third-party character from a game that has no presence on Nintendo platforms, but also a character that Sakurai likely doesn't have the same attachment to as he does Persona.

And I don't see Overwatch on Switch as being an inevitability, either.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It's pretty clear by now that when Sakurai has an "image" for a character it's very hard to get him to change it. Bowser and Donkey Kong with animal sounds, an older Roy without his actual personality... Once he went with male Corrin as the default it's not that surprising he kept that even while IS changed to marketing female Corrin as the Fates representative.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside the question of her Nintendo pedigree, Tracer is richly deserving. Overwatch has been massive, and she's on the cover, and she would bring compelling new mechanics and personality to Smash.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star is already on Switch. Alis Landale is right there.

I wanted Alis Landale so badly but I worry Hero more or less now does pretty much anything she could have, outside of making Myau a massive part of her moveset. Time to fully commit to the Rico Tyrell train. No Smash character so far can swap mid-combo between 7 different weapons, casts magic, has a mag that can use photon blasts, and is the central hero of the story but also transforms into the final boss.

Mar 9, 2018
I still hope Sakurai at least gives us free bonus echoes. Dixie could be a Diddy echo with some DK moves for her ponytail (helicopter spin, ground pound, grab and carry).
Dixie's defining trait is her powerful hair that enables her to fly. That should be what her moveset is based around. However, in addition to that, Dixie needs to use her bubblegum to trap people, maybe blowing bubbles that can float upwards on the stage and trap opponents and items within it. Also, Dixie needs to use her powerful hair to lift the enormous baby Kiddy Kong to launch him forward as a "fat baby baseball". Kiddy can be stored in Dixie's hair since he would only be used for like 2 attacks.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big overwatch mark, but I think it's too new maybe as a third party franchise? only the one game under its belt after all
Kinda feels like the third parties we get are either notable long running series or at least well attached to Nintendo in the case of Bayo and Banjo.

But you know, the rules with smash are that there are no rules!
Except no Goku of course

--

I'm still the only person I've encountered online with the Dixie and Kiddy character icon, I cannot compare to the Shantae army.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Putting aside the question of her Nintendo pedigree, Tracer is richly deserving. Overwatch has been massive, and she's on the cover, and she would bring compelling new mechanics and personality to Smash.
Oh yeah, if it wasn't for Overwatch not being on a Nintendo system, I'd be pushing for Tracer non-stop. She more than deserves it.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
This guy deserves to be in Smash cos his games sold a shedload and he wears a bowler hat.

85833_front.jpg

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, if it wasn't for Overwatch not being on a Nintendo system, I'd be pushing for Tracer non-stop. She more than deserves it.
Yep, Tracer ticks off every box for gaming superstar status, the type of guests that appear in Smash. We just need OW on Switch. Maybe a port is planned...

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Lady Bow, RailWays, Wondergal, Sponge, TheGamingNewsGuy, Choppasmith, oreomunsta, cdm00;

You won for picking a correct team to supports. Congrats on your victory and it was well-deserved! :)

-------------

Now I'm going to pass out all loser avatars for three teams where they failed to succeed with their bets this time.

For Team No Dragon Quest

ShinobiBk Since you like Sobble so much so I will let you have a blue avatar!

fgoY78S.png

For Team Banjo

Weiss

JMkVkfM.png

Brock Reiher

5hVLNaa.png

Paperchampion23

QgvFUFG.png

TheEpic_Crusader

Btrn38B.png

Chauzu

lLrbbw7.png

Illusion

61q94rD.png

Punished Dan

WXnwcDK.png

Gartooth

3dTkg1z.png

Team Dragon Quest

Wil Grieve

jxJOClt.png

MoonGirard

qzTduY2.png

Marqario ]

N7It8xJ.png

ShroudOfFate

bME5gF3.png

Radishhead

pVD8NTI.png

Team None of Them

retrobotjr

J9umO4k.png

CormoranStrike

4mC1IyM.png

Rubica

d4UQcl6.png

Toxi

5pGWSWz.png

Samuel

UmMIxhc.png

Champion

i6wEWgA.png

Galactic Specter

UIvu9vX.png

Oct 25, 2017
"WE NEED MORE FEMALE CHARACTERS"
*one gets announced*
*moves goal post*
"WE NEED ONE BETTER THEN THAT"

And this is why people have a hard time taking the argument seriously, even if they do agree and want more females in Smash. Instead of celebrating the ones we get, people make arguments how they're not good enough.

So what you're saying is that it's not okay to be critical of the fact that the only female representation so far is the equivalent of Nana, Pikmin, and Luna mechanically

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
RE5 Wester was one of the most fun videogame villains, right up there with Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising and Sen. Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising.

Btw, when is RE5 arriving on Switch? Adore that game.

RE5 ended up being a surprise hit in my house when I lived with my brother and dad after high school. We 100% both vanilla and gold versions and were especially into the mercenary mode.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right now the most popular female character requests is Shantae by western fans and Arle Nadja by Japanese fans. I don't think either of those characters stands the greatest of odds, but it isn't much better if you look outside of them.

General 3rd party stars to pick from are Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, 2B, and Tracer, and those last two have never had a game in their series on a Nintendo console. First party wise, the biggest requests are Dixie, Elma, and Ashley it seems.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a big overwatch mark, but I think it's too new maybe as a third party franchise? only the one game under its belt after all

Joker is a similarly new character, even though yes I know Persona is older. So they're clearly not just looking for decades-old icons for their third party reps, like Mega Man and Pac-Man.

I think Overwatch is more likely to have staying power in the future than, say, Metal Gear, which seems pretty dead as a series. :(

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yep, Tracer ticks off every box for gaming superstar status, the type of guests that appear in Smash. We just need OW on Switch. Maybe a port is planned...
That's what I'm worried about. I recall some here talking about an Overwatch port that was shown behind closed doors at E3 2017 (if I'm not mistaken), but nothing became of those rumors. I wouldn't be surprised if a Switch port of Overwatch was originally planned but was ultimately scrapped for whatever reason.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
why would you flood this community with ugly Steve Heath? whhhhyyyy?!

edit: et tu BGBW?

Joker is a similarly new character, even though yes I know Persona is older. So they're clearly not just looking for decades-old icons for their third party reps, like Mega Man and Pac-Man.

I think Overwatch is more likely to have staying power in the future than, say, Metal Gear, which seems pretty dead as a series. :(
True enough.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Lady Bow, RailWays, Wondergal, Sponge, TheGamingNewsGuy, Choppasmith, oreomunsta, cdm00;

You won for picking a correct team to supports. Congrats on your victory and it was well-deserved! :)

-------------

Now I'm going to pass out all loser avatars for three teams where they failed to succeed with their bets this time.

For Team No Dragon Quest

ShinobiBk Since you like Sobble so much so I will let you have a blue avatar!

fgoY78S.png

For Team Banjo

Weiss

JMkVkfM.png

Brock Reiher

5hVLNaa.png

Paperchampion23

QgvFUFG.png

TheEpic_Crusader

Btrn38B.png

Chauzu

lLrbbw7.png