• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That kind of thing happens all the time with Persona. The P4 protagonist was named Souji Seta in the manga before Atlus settled on Yu Narukami. The P3 Hero was Minato Arisato in the manga.
I'm well aware of Yu & Makoto's manga names. I'm just surprised that it took so long for Makoto Yuki to get his name compared to how long we waited for the Yu Narukami & Ren Amamiya names.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, it would be for RE2 Remake. The game just came out this year to huge critical and commercial success, and it will likely be a frontrunner for GotY. After Persona 5 got added and even debuted Joker at TGAs, I could see a similar announcement there this year for Leon and/or Claire.

To be fair, Nintendo would obviously want to promote the new DQ game that they're helping publish. In the case or Resident Evil, it's not like any new mainline entries will come to the Switch anytime soon due to Resident Evil moving to the RE Engine (which doesn't support the Switch).

Nintendo just had a big spot in their E3 Direct promoting the RE franchise, and a Smash rep definitely wouldn't be for RE5/RE6. REmake 2 is a huge game in the franchise right now.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Or you know......this guy.

You know the guy your cursor starts on in RE1 and has probably the most playable appearances of any RE character.
But if we can't get Roger Craig Smith, what's the point?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Putting in Chris on his lonesome, let alone Chris Boulder Punching Roidfield, is a poor representation of Resident Evil.

Resident Evil's inclusion won't be as the dudebro shooter it was with RE5 and RE6, it'll represent the iconic nature of subtle horror the original games are known for. Jill represents that better far, far better than Chris and, again, if we snub her for a male lead we will absolutely get Leon and Claire together because RE2make.
This is a very weird argument to make.

Chris and Jill are both in RE1 so I don't know how Jill is a "better representation."

It's also bold of you to assume to know how they'd be represented?

They used Persona 5 and the Luminary remember?

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I think Jill is straight up a more popular RE character than Chris and that would come into play at some point here. Sakurai has mentioned fan demand time and time again where Ultimate is concerned and Jill seems like the more requested characters of the two.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Man if Resident Evil discussions are just going to be Jill vs. Chris vs. Leon arguments ad nauseam I'd almost rather have Erdrick talk back.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Jill is straight up a more popular RE character than Chris and that would come into play at some point here. Sakurai has mentioned fan demand time and time again where Ultimate is concerned and Jill seems like the more requested characters of the two.
How'd that work out for Alucard?
Man if Resident Evil discussions are just going to be Jill vs. Chris vs. Leon arguments ad nauseam I'd almost rather have Erdrick talk back.
Welcome to my nightmare.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chris and Jill function exactly the same way in RE1, so how is one character an inherently better representative than the other?

Jill is my favorite RE character, by the way. But I feel like a lot of these arguments are steeped in bias.

Jill's games have always been about surviving impossible odds armed only with what weapons you can scrounge and your own cunning. Both of the Chris-lead games are dumb, loud shooters.

That, and Jill has fallen off in the series since RE3 with her only starring role being Revelations (which also carries the trend I listed above). She's more intrinsically tied to the world of Survival Horror created in Resident Evil than the modern incarnation of Chris.

This is a very weird argument to make.

Chris and Jill are both in RE1 so I don't know how Jill is a "better representation."

It's also bold of you to assume to know how they'd be represented?

They used Persona 5 and the Luminary remember?

They used Joker because Persona didn't matter until P5, and Luminary comes packaged with other DQ heroes.

And I feel confident that, if RE is to be included, it will be based on the classic quadrilogy. Take it to the bank if you want.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want a female rep and less posts arguing against you that a male rep from the same series is more likely it'd easier to pick a series where pretty much all the characters are female.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna start posting this image whenever people try to rule out characters based on VAs

xEoc5QH.png

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE1 and Code: Veronica are not dumb, loud shooters.

Was referring to RE5 and RE6.

Chris has exactly two games where he's not a meathead soldier with pineapples stuffed into his forearms. That's not Resident Evil. Resident Evil as it would be represented in Smash would be the premiere horror series in video games.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna start posting this image whenever people try to rule out characters based on VAs

xEoc5QH.png
I am still surprised they didn't just reuse Wendee Lee's Lyn clips from heroes for Lyn this go around

Sorry I mean Mysterious Uncredited Voice Actress
who are they
we just dont konw
its a mystery

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jill's games have always been about surviving impossible odds armed only with what weapons you can scrounge and your own cunning. Both of the Chris-lead games are dumb, loud shooters.
Hoo wee thaty bias is some strong stuff

You do know that Chris is playable in literally almost every game Jill is right? He's in RE1 too and very much has to survive.

They used Joker because Persona didn't matter until P5, and Luminary comes packaged with other DQ heroes.

And I feel confident that, if RE is to be included, it will be based on the classic quadrilogy. Take it to the bank if you want.
Ok? First off you know Persona 3 and 4 were decently popular too right?

Heck your own logic hurts your case here. If they care more about sales vs series legacy then, well, guess which RE games sold the most?

It just seems like you hate the modern RE games so you've got such a "grrr Chris bad" mindset that you're ignoring that he played just as much a part in that early legacy.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017

Chris has exactly two games where he's not a meathead soldier with pineapples stuffed into his forearms. That's not Resident Evil. Resident Evil as it would be represented in Smash would be the premiere horror series in video games.
I still don't understand what you're trying to say. If Jill can be based on the classic games then why can't Chris? Chris was just as much a part of RE1 as Jill.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how often we turn back to Resident Evil, but run away from Tekken discussion (except for the handful of people who clearly want a Tekken rep). I didn't expect that, lol.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chris and Jill are essentially coequal in the game that matters most (the original). It's almost like a gender swap feature with different stories. It would be like just having a boy Villager, or male Robin, or not including female Erdrick... wait... hmm...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alucard isn't more popular/requested than the Belmonts. Sakurai only said that younger people would likely be more familiar with him because of SotN.
I realllly doubt Simon is more popular then Alucard but I don't exactly have data but I just got a gut feeling if you polled Castlevania fans he'd come out ahead.

And yet he still shows up more then almost any other RE hero. Funny how that works.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It's funny how often we turn back to Resident Evil, but run away from Tekken discussion (except for the handful of people who clearly want a Tekken rep). I didn't expect that, lol.

It's more fun for people to bicker about who is the best RE Rep than it is to talk about old man lightning mcpunchnkick.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken fascinates me because it's clearly a popular, much-played and well-known series but every single circle of people i've seen are just so nothing on the series.

It's like a black hole of interest

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoo wee thaty bias is some strong stuff

You do know that Chris is playable in literally almost every game Jill is right? He's in RE1 too and very much has to survive.

Ok? First off you know Persona 3 and 4 were decently popular too right?

Heck your own logic hurts your case here. If they care more about sales vs series legacy then, well, guess which RE games sold the most?

It just seems like you hate the modern RE games so you've got such a "grrr Chris bad" mindset that you're ignoring that he played just as much a part in that early legacy.

There's a difference between "might as well not exist" like pre-P5 Persona and a beloved horror franchise that was homogenized into a dudebro shooter.

I feel confident that, if an RE rep were to get in that a female character would be playable because RE was a female-led series in its original quadrilogy. Those are the RE games that represent the most iconic state of the franchise. If a guy absolutely has to be there then it won't be Chris, it'll be Leon along with Claire because Chris can't be easily model swapped since he's a giant mass of muscle.

I still don't understand what you're trying to say. If Jill can be based on the classic games then why can't Chris? Chris was just as much a part of RE1 as Jill.

Chris as a character has moved on from his appearance in RE1 while Jill really hasn't. Jill's most iconic appearances are RE1 and RE3, which I feel confident would be the represented era of Resident Evil should it appear in Smash.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Tekken fascinates me because it's clearly a popular, much-played and well-known series but every single circle of people i've seen are just so nothing on the series.

It's like a black hole of interest

Heihachi is a black hole of interest.

Tekken is fun and popular in spite of the corny melodrama it's boring ass main characters continue to play out.

Characters like Panda, Yoshimitsu, and King are the real heart and soul of Tekken.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Their name is Producer.

243893.jpg

Who wouldn't want to play as a bloke with a P for a head?

(technically the in-game player is invisble as the whole thing is in first person. This is just the comical representation of them)
hahahaaaaaaa that's great

Heihachi is a black hole of interest.

Tekken is fun and popular in spite of the corny melodrama it's boring ass main characters continue to play out.

Characters like Panda, Yoshimitsu, and King are the real heart and soul of Tekken.
I dunno there's something about tekken's style where even when it gets really wacky it still feels kind of dull
That's just me though. Like it has a boxing raptor! and a boxing wood dummy! and multiple fighting bears that own companies!! and its all just a mash to me

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RE is a much more hype inclusion in Smash than Tekken. The latter is something I think people almost completely agree is worthy, but it's kind of boring.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Are those her most popular depictions in the franchise's original games?
That has nothing to do with her "moving on from her appearance in RE1."

You prefer Jill. That's cool. Just be honest about it. Your arguments are riddled with contradictions. Chris and Jill are the co-protagonists of RE1, so a classic RE move set could just as suitably be represented with either of those characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.