• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I realllly doubt Simon is more popular then Alucard but I don't exactly have data but I just got a gut feeling if you polled Castlevania fans he'd come out ahead.

Dunno. Simon definitely would be a strong contender, and of course also came with Richter (who definitely also would be high on the list). And Simon also is the character that generally represents Castlevania in crossover games, along with Dracula in some occasions. Alucard never has been in any crossover titles that aren't set within the Castlevaniaverse.

I think it would be a close race either way, and the combined 'power' of the Belmonts overtakes Alucard easily. Castlevania and the Vampire Killer whip are inherently tied to each other.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an interesting hypothetical question, which rule do you think will break next (if one is broken at all)?
  • Characters who are already Assist Trophies/Poké Ball Pokémon cannot be made playable via DLC
  • Each playable character had to have appeared on a Nintendo system at least once
  • The franchise has to have proven itself as successful prior to being chosen to be in Smash
The last one. Some people will argue it already happened with characters like Shulk.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny with the state of 3rd parties now that some of the most talked about ones here are basically franchises that became iconic on Playstation and Xbox. (RE, Tekken, Crash, Halo)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well, if we're doing lists again... i'll mix in crazy wants and realistic picks (not for the Fighters Pass; for the next Smash):

First-Party
  • Marx or Susie; both would be great
  • Toad / Toadette
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ganon (or even better (but definitely impossible), Shadow Nightmare)
  • Howard Twins (I don't know what name to go with for them, lol)
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Hades
  • Chorus Kids
  • Impa (Skyward Sword design; Echo)
  • Octoling (Echo)
Third-Party
  • Doom Slayer
  • Pheonix Wight
  • Amaterasu
  • Prince of All Cosmos
  • Blaze (Echo)
  • Crono, 2B or Geno (would be fine with any for the next SE rep)
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Master Chief
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Frisk (just for the music)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of funny with the state of 3rd parties now that some of the most talked about ones here are basically franchises that became iconic on Playstation and Xbox. (RE, Tekken, Crash, Halo)

Don't worry. Ninja Gaiden still has deep Nintendo roots, even if it was watered in the Xbox Garden for a time, lol.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
The two characters I want most (at the moment) are:

• Agumon (or any other Digimon) from Digimon, by Bandai Namco.
  • Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch, developed by Level-5.

Seeing a Digimon character is Smash is pretty unlikely but not impossible.

After the initial reception of Yo-Kai Watch 4 and especially seeing how poorly Nintendo helped promoting the franchise (uploading videos to their YouTube channel or promoting the games in recent Nintendo Directs), it's quite improbable.

So not happening for any of those characters.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Has to be proven successful?
Earthbound got a character with the majority of people in the West not knowing the series existed

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since it's list time:

Nintendo:
Chorus Kids
Isaac
Geno
Dixie
Bandana Dee
Elma

Third Party:
Bomberman
Monster Hunter
Shovel Knight
Frisk
Heihachi Mishima
Phoenix Wright
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash Bandicoot

Voted for Shovel Knight in the ballot. While I was glad he managed to be represented in this series as an assist trophy, I'd still like to see him playable with a stage and glorious music one day.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Paper Mario has still got to be the biggest first party omission for me. Bigger than Isaac or Chorus Kids (who I'm pretty sure are only popular because they were in a fake leak once...) or any of those lot.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There's a lot of Rhythm Heaven love here, but ARMS is being left on the wayside.

Is this the Soul Stone sacrifice?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a list of wants since Banjo and K.Rool got in.

I imagine Mother 3 being in development on 64DD probably factored into Ness' inclusion in Smash 64. That, and the fact that HAL Labs made Earthbound and Smash.

IIRC that's exactly it. Lucas was going to be in Smash 64, and then Melee, but the delays and cancellations of Mother 3 lead to Ness.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a list of wants since Banjo and K.Rool got in.

IIRC that's exactly it. Lucas was going to be in Smash 64, and then Melee, but the delays and cancellations of Mother 3 lead to Ness.

Uh...was he? I know Lucas was planned for Melee, but I never heard anything regarding Smash 64.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Uuugh why did it have to be Lloyd.

... wait hold on let me think about the other Tales protagonists.
... on further consideration maybe Lloyd isn't the worst. I don't expect him as a rep at all though so not gonna stress on it.

Hey, could be worse.

latest

(Then again, the mere existance of DOTNW is a good reason not to have Lloyd, imo. Breaks my heart, but oh well.)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The music from Streepass Squad/Mii Force sounds very Twinbee-esque. Not surprising since it was developed by Good-Feel, which consists of ex-Konami developers.

(Should have got some arrangements in Ultimate)

Jun 11, 2019
List time, you say?

Nintendy
Elma
Rex & Pyra
Lora
Dixie
Issac(No attachment, a friend just really wants him)

Third party
Yuri Lowell
Jin Kazama, I guess?
Shantae would be swell
Doomfella
Estelle Bright would be dope too
...Ragna please...

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
First Party
Waluigi
Ashley
Pokey
Hades

Third Party
Crash
Spyro
Lara
Doomguy
MC
Shantae
Scorpion

Overall, most of the needed first party characters are covered with K. Rool and Ridley being added to this game.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's an interesting hypothetical question, which rule do you think will break next (if one is broken at all)?
  • Characters who are already Assist Trophies/Poké Ball Pokémon cannot be made playable via DLC
  • Each playable character had to have appeared on a Nintendo system at least once
  • The franchise has to have proven itself as successful prior to being chosen to be in Smash
I think for the Fighter's Pass it's likely the second one. However the first can potentially happen if we get more DLC and it features Nintendo characters, Spring Man and Waluigi mainly

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay never mind I came up with a list besides Geno.

First Party
- Dixie Kong
- Ninten
- Octoling
- Tetra
- Lip

Third Party
- Amaterasu (Okami)
- Nanashi/Aleph (Shin Megami Tensei)
- Doomslayer (DOOM)

Other than Lip all my first party picks can be Echoes which I'd be fine with.

Wanting an SMT character was mostly based on how underwhelming Joker ended up. I'd love a character who summoned demons.

-
And yet people still want more SE content.

I can't believe there are people crazy enough here to want more Square characters. Boggles the mind if you ask me.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've mentioned so many times that all I need is Rex and Pyra or Mythra. I still feel strongly that XC2 should get a character as it probably can't afford the wait and already had the credentials a long time ago with the only thing going against them was timing for Base game and maybe this Pass. At least Dixie could float around and be relevant forever until Sakurai bites he bullet and is from a franchise with much more representation.

Otherwise I don't really know who else I want to see

First party (likely for Smash 6)
Elma/XCX rep
Dixie
Spring Man
Rhythm Heaven
Byleth/Edelguard
Bandana Dee
Issac

Third Party
Sora
Shantae
Nero
Monster Hunter
Phoenix Wright
Spyro
Doomslayer

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Okay never mind I came up with a list besides Geno.

First Party
- Dixie Kong
- Ninten
- Octoling
- Tetra
- Lip

Third Party
- Amaterasu (Okami)
- Nanashi/Aleph (Shin Megami Tensei)
- Doomslayer (DOOM)

Other than Lip all my first party picks can be Echoes which I'd be fine with.

Wanting an SMT character was mostly based on how underwhelming Joker ended up. I'd love a character who summoned demons.

-

I can't believe there are people crazy enough here to want more Square characters. Boggles the mind if you ask me.
I'd rather have the character and don't care if they don't come with an alt, Spirit, AT, or whatever

Frankly so would a lot of people.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo characters Id like/love to see in no specific order, under no illusion most would get in, much less all of them:
Dixie
Spring Man
Twintelle
Dr. Coyle
Midna
Skull Kid
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Susie (in her robobot armor)
Chorus Kids
Style Savvy Character (unironically I think Stylist + Rosie would be cool)
Ayumi Tachibana
Wonder Red
Elma seemed neat
Ashley
Captain Syrup
Krystal
Dillon
And sure, Astral Chain's duo
Justice For Alph

Nintendo characters I wouldn't mind on the condition that please be paired with characters from above:
Edlegard
Hector
Veronica
Banette. I don't think they would ever in a million years ever choose Banette for anything, but...
Mimikyu
wooloo A Gen 8 Pokemon
Toadette (Toad can be the echo)
Paper Mario

third parties: nah

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I would take a S-E character even if they had the bare minimum representation if I was a fan of the character.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious about what the monkey's paw was going to be with the DQ content; as least music doesn't seem to be an issue this time (besides the person they had to deal with to get it).
Well, let's see how the music situation actually pans out. With Square it might be best not to assume that the songs in the trailer and indicative of anything....

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nintendo characters Id like/love to see in no specific order, under no illusion most would get in, much less all of them:
Dixie
Spring Man
Twintelle

Dr. Coyle
Midna
Skull Kid
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Susie (in her robobot armor)
Chorus Kids
Style Savvy Character (unironically I think Stylist + Rosie would be cool)
Ayumi Tachibana
Wonder Red
Elma seemed neat
Ashley
Captain Syrup
Krystal
Dillon
And sure, Astral Chain's duo
Justice For Alph

Nintendo characters I wouldn't mind on the condition that please be paired with characters from above:
Edlegard
Hector
Veronica
Banette. I don't think they would ever in a million years ever choose Banette for anything, but...
Mimikyu
wooloo A Gen 8 Pokemon
Toadette (Toad can be the echo)
Paper Mario

third parties: nah
ehkXpZD.gif

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
If there's restrictions on which DQ protagonists can interact with each other, then yeah potential female alts probably got mixed because of that.

(Why is there a restriction in the first place though?)

Their restrictions actually made a lot of sense when we take a look at their "All-Stars spin off" games like Fortune and Heroes. They doesn't really have any main characters. Almost all or all choices they made with the roster were popular party members .

hyaSPZK.jpg

yIzRNel.jpg

It just seems that Dragon Quest team (it's easier that way so I don't have to list everyone involved) hesitated to have all Heroes shown up side by side (and fighting against each other because they probably don't feel like it's hero quality) in video games for long time. They finally broke that with Theatrhythm Dragon Quest where the hero(es) finally share the same screens with another heroes.

It's really special moment that we actually have four Hero in a single game where they would able to stand side by side, and potentially fight against each other. I'm pretty sure that many Japanese fans probably dream to have four players match where they can proclaim which Hero is better!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Their restrictions actually made a lot of sense when we take a look at their "All-Stars spin off" games like Fortune and Heroes. They doesn't really have any main characters. Almost all or all choices they made with the roster were popular party members .

hyaSPZK.jpg

yIzRNel.jpg

It just seems that Dragon Quest team (it's easier that way so I don't have to list everyone involved) hesitated to have all Heroes shown up side by side (and fighting against each other because they probably don't feel like it's hero quality) in video games for long time. They finally broke that with Theatrhythm Dragon Quest where the hero(es) finally share the same screens with another heroes.

It's really special moment that we actually have four Hero in a single game where they would able to stand side by side, and potentially fight against each other. I'm pretty sure that many Japanese fans probably dream to have four players match where they can proclaim which Hero is better!
I didn't realize that Hero being in smash is probably a bigger deal than just "DQ in smash"

Status
Not open for further replies.