Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 3 | Seeking Answers to the Un-Bear-able Quest-ions!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Bowser Jr and Kamek on a broom as 1 character would make a pretty cool character concept, now that I see them like that
Give them the gimmick of bowser jr can get knocked off the broom and he pops into a bubble and starts crying

It would make no sense for them to have that, especially since WW & CW dont even have that gimmick, but sakurai works in mysterious ways

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
Imagine an odd timeline where Ocarina of Time Impa gets added as a Sheik clone in Melee, but with a new down special

That would be weird and I wonder how many people would consider Impa the default because she'd be on the CSS, versus Sheik, who was hidden behind Zelda.

Spring-Loaded

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine an odd timeline where Ocarina of Time Impa gets added as a Sheik clone in Melee, but with a new down special

That would be weird and I wonder how many people would consider Impa the default because she'd be on the CSS, versus Sheik, who was hidden behind Zelda.
Impa has made more appearances than Sheik, so people thinking she was the base would make sense.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
With K. Rool being supposedly on friendlier terms with DK, Dixie is clearly going to be the next secret DKC antagonist and thus a Smash stage boss.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I want the next Donkey Kong Country game to start where the Banjo Kazooie trailer ended. The boulder gets removed and out of it ascends K. Rool, decomposed from years underground with only his bones left for show. He then recruits the remnants of the Kremlins and starts attacking with a horde of undead reptiles.

You could call it Donkey Kong Country The Walking Krems

Mar 9, 2018
Keep in mind that we will most likely be able to purchase a Dixie Kong beret with a ponytail attached when DK World opens at Universal Studios. Fans and haters alike can shake each other's ponytail to welcome Dixie in Smash.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Solaire and the Knight from hollow knight would be my two final picks.

It is selfish, but I hope they announce a second fighter pack that adds all ninty characters

memoryman3

Oct 26, 2017
Altering a physical move's animation to the point that it's utilizing a completely different 'limb' as it were is completely beyond the scope of cloned attacks we've seen in Smash. It's twisting design guidelines into a pretzel in order to justify a character being a clone, which is just backwards from how they're actually created. If the designers are conceptualizing a Dixie moveset and come up with moves that require her to use her hair they're not going to shove that square peg into a round hole and make it a variant of an existing kick attack, that would instead be justification for making her more unique.

And every cut veteran was a clone or derivative--save one, Mewtwo. We have no idea what Dixie was planned to play like.
I don’t think it’s that complicated. None of Diddy’s attacks use his tail. Not a single one. His tail isn’t even a hurtbox. Some idles have the tail animated but they can disable it in the physics data. It’s not like Isabelle where the entire body has changed and it’s not really feasible to share motions. The hair can be controlled by physics and hand animated for one or two attacks (dash, up B) The majority of motions can be shared.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
I want the next Donkey Kong Country game to start where the Banjo Kazooie trailer ended. The boulder gets removed and out of it ascends K. Rool, decomposed from years underground with only his bones left for show. He then recruits the remnants of the Kremlins and starts attacking with a horde of undead reptiles.

You could call it Donkey Kong Country The Walking Krems
You joke but K. Rool becoming a ne-krem-mancer would totally be in character for him as his next persona.

God I hope whoever inevitably brings him back to the DK franchise keeps that gimmick going.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
You joke but K. Rool becoming a ne-krem-master would totally be a in character for him as his next persona.

God I hope whoever inevitably brings him back to the DK franchise keeps that gimmick going.
My original concept was that Gruntilda is the one that brings him back to life and it's actually a cross-over with Banjo Kazooie, but I'm gonna leave that kind of fanwankery to DK Vine.

Apopheniac

Oct 25, 2017
With K. Rool being supposedly on friendlier terms with DK, Dixie is clearly going to be the next secret DKC antagonist and thus a Smash stage boss.
She'd have an attack where her hair disassembles and flies across the stage in chunks while she gradually disappears, then reappears on the opposite side of the stage

Gotta save dev time where it counts

KtotheRoc

Oct 27, 2017
I don’t think it’s that complicated. None of Diddy’s attacks use his tail. Not a single one. His tail isn’t even a hurtbox. Some idles have the tail animated but they can disable it in the physics data. It’s not like Isabelle where the entire body has changed and it’s not really feasible to share motions. The hair can be controlled by physics and hand animated for one or two attacks (dash, up B) The majority of motions can be shared.
Then why didn't they add Dixie as an echo when they had the chance with Ultimate?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Dixie is not a character, original or not, not because she’s not worthy of either category, but because DK fans fully backed K Rool over her all this time.

MondoMega

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Sakurai's columns never really match up with when things are revealed/released. Him talking about something unrelated to Hero next time has no bearing on Hero being released during that time.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai's columns never really match up with when things are revealed/released. Him talking about something unrelated to Hero next week has no bearing on Hero being released during that time.
For some reference on how long there can be, Joker was revealed on December 7th but the famitsu column about the reveal was on December 26th
Meanwhile 3.0 was released on April 17th but his column was almost a full month later (translation was on the 18th so Famitsu should've come out around the 15th).

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Occam's Razor would indicate that Dixie is not Echo Fighter material. They added Dark Samus but not Dixie. I can think of no other explanation for this.

(People wanted Ridley. They didn't care about another possible Metroid rep.)
This isn't entirely fair.

You have to remember, at the time the ballot was considered a Smash 4-exclusive concept, and that meant that a lot of fans considered Ridley to be ineligible due to the whole Pyrosphere thing. As a result of this, Metroid fans ended up being split on their votes. Many stuck to their guns and voted Ridley anyways, but a sizable amount of them took to voting for Dark Samus instead, as she was rightfully next in line after the big guy. It's probably because things seemed so dire for Ridley back then that we have Dark Samus now.

Dixie unfortunately didn't have a similar situation to benefit from. The K. Rool train was full steam going into Smash DLC, and didn't stop until the Mii Costume, which was after the ballot closed. As a result, Dixie didn't end up getting the vote split like Dark Samus did, and probably didn't end up doing as strongly on the polls.

KtotheRoc

Oct 27, 2017

You have to remember, at the time the ballot was considered a Smash 4-exclusive concept, and that meant that a lot of fans considered Ridley to be ineligible due to the whole Pyrosphere thing. As a result of this, Metroid fans ended up being split on their votes. Many stuck to their guns and voted Ridley anyways, but a sizable amount of them took to voting for Dark Samus instead, as she was rightfully next in line after the big guy. It's probably because things seemed so dire for Ridley back then that we have Dark Samus now.

Dixie unfortunately didn't have a similar situation to benefit from. The K. Rool train was full steam going into Smash DLC, and didn't stop until the Mii Costume, which was after the ballot closed. As a result, Dixie didn't end up getting the vote split like Dark Samus did, and probably didn't end up doing as strongly on the polls.
(That might actually be it.)

Mar 9, 2018

I strongly disagree. I don't think it's true at all that Ridley ever "split" the vote with Dark Samus to any degree. Ridley was always THE one, THE choice of the Metroid fanbase by far, even as Ridley fans were beaten down by Sakurai and other Smash fans' words. The story of Ridley is a story of a fanbase's resilience -- a pizza that wouldn't cook no matter how much the chef yelled. A toilet that wouldn't flush no matter how much the plumber plunged.

Ridley was overtaken by K. Rool in the ballot -- and many other characters -- but Ridley still held on. Dark Samus was always a far off dream.

Dark Samus got her butt kicked by Dixie Kong in the ballot. You can look up the polls from that period and Dark Samus doesn't even register. Dixie does, even if notably below K. Rool. That still put her ahead of a lot of characters, including Dark Samus. In fact, the furor over K. Rool helped Dixie relative to other characters because it kept her around in people's minds. She was often floated as a "realistic" alternative to K. Rool. The conflict fed the Dixie machine.

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
I strongly disagree. I don't think it's true at all that Ridley ever "split" the vote with Dark Samus to any degree. Ridley was always THE one, THE choice of the Metroid fanbase by far, even as Ridley fans were beaten down by Sakurai and other Smash fans' words. The story of Ridley is a story of a fanbase's resilience -- a pizza that wouldn't cook no matter how much the chef yelled. A toilet that wouldn't flush no matter how much the plumber plunged.

Ridley was overtaken by K. Rool in the ballot -- and many other characters -- but Ridley still held on. Dark Samus was always a far off dream.

Dark Samus got her butt kicked by Dixie Kong in the ballot. You can look up the polls from that period and Dark Samus doesn't even register. Dixie does, even if notably below K. Rool. That still put her ahead of a lot of characters, including Dark Samus. In fact, the furor over K. Rool helped Dixie relative to other characters because it kept her around in people's minds. She was often floated as a "realistic" alternative to K. Rool. The conflict fed the Dixie machine.
Because people running fan polls almost always removed people's votes if they voted for an "impossible" character like Chrom or Dark Samus who were already used in the game in some capacity.

Mar 9, 2018
I think the echoes are being rated on a curve when it comes to "getting a lot of requests".

Except Daisy, who is a mega popular character but who makes a lot of sense as an echo.

Because people running fan polls almost always removed people's votes if they voted for an "impossible" character like Chrom or Dark Samus who were already used in the game in some capacity.
True. And I would say that those omissions themselves shaped how people voted. Some choices were simply defined out of existence. Dixie had way more backing in the ballot than Dark Samus ever did, thanks to bias like the one you mentioned.

Sponge

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta remember some people considered Ridley out of the running for the Ballot. Some fans just wanted some kind of new Metroid character. I totally see why Dark Samus was highly requested.

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
Gotta remember some people considered Ridley out of the running for the Ballot. Some fans just wanted some kind of new Metroid character. I totally see why Dark Samus was highly requested.
This is why I believe Dark Samus must have did pretty well. She was the "well, if we can't have Ridley, she's the next best thing"

I know that's part of the reason I supported her.