• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
800px-SR-place-Windhelm.jpg

Windhelm from Skyrim

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Katamari_Forever_-_Gamescom-PS3Screenshots24755Drive_Race_New_08-620x.jpg

the Katamari - scrolling platform like Sunshine stage but just watch the size grow from being on the floor of a living room to being in space

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The iDOLM@STER:

Concert stage:
This is the obvious location since this is where they perform. I'd love to see a gimmick where the audience cheer along with the music like this and glowsticks of the winning player's colour are waved in the foreground (much like Jedd indicates the winner in the Splatoon stage). Some probably wouldn't like it since it would be a walk off stage (exit stage right). I could see platforms come down from the ceiling or from the ground (heck, if they're trap doors, they could result in a hole in the ground) so it isn't just flat.
jqmxvgq.jpg
(not nessessarily this design mind, this was just the first one I could get a nice clean shot of from a YT vid)

The 765 Pro Office:
This is basically the home location of the series. Even the anime ends the OP with this shot. Only problem is it would feel a bit like Onett 2.0 I fear. The interior would probably be a bit too cramped to make a location out of lol It's pretty much an office with dividers, desks and sofas.
TBBoNKa.png

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5GBkF3J.jpg

Touhou's Hakurei Shrine. With changing seasons!

Lkm4n84.gif

Samurai Shodown II's Northern Country.

QSdxVPP.gif

Or the first Samurai Shodown's Kamui Kotan/Hokkaido.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
At least Smash 4 3DS still had a bunch of vaguely related to the main area stages. Magicant, Arena Fenox, Tortimer Island, Find Mii and Tomodachi life were more abstract than just porting a location 1:1.
With those examples, then Smash Wii U had its fair share still as well.
-Mushroom Kingdom U is just based on general NSMBU aesthetics rather than anything in particular
-Great Cave Offensive takes elements from the full map but it's no one location and no one gimmick
-Colosseum is just Some Arena and also it has mechanized platforms?
-Woolly World takes some cues from a few levels but on the whole its just Aesthetic: The Stage
-Palutena's Temple really doesn't line up 1:1 with Palutena's actual temple, even less so that GCO. It just takes the aesthetics of the temple & sky world as a whole and slaps a "dungeon" area. I'd put it in rough proximity to Temple or Brinstar

Gamer is...arguable. Like the gimmick and backdrop is absoluteley 1:1 but we're on a table hiding among toys. That seems about as vague as something like Arena Ferox or Magicant but I won't push it too hard.

But anyway they still took concepts & visual aesthetics and expanded them into an original stage that's far less 1:1. Like I look at Palutena's Temple and I don't get the same vibe as Garden of Hope.

Where do stages like Corneria & Pilotwings fall into this paradigm for people, actually? Because you ARE literally flying through those locations, but they're just the backdrops and you're not dropping into the stage like traveling....I guess this discussion is less binary and more a gradient

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Coliseum and Wii Fit Studio are the same stage, with the direction the platforms come from reversed.

Wake up, people!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
TIL that Ganon's boss fight arena in the singleplayer modes actually yanks assets from the Reset Bomb Forest stage
cWV5Gzx.png

SSBU-Reset_Bomb_Forest.png

SlimeBeherit

Nov 5, 2017
Naw. I don't really mind the waiting between the updates since I would able to focus on finish the backlog.

I think I'm almost done with Dragon Quest (again I think). I decided to take a looks at the arts. I was blown away with the fact that DQ1 MC is a blonde! I always thought he had black hairs.

694XPOd.png

I wouldn't say this is anything definitive. DQ 1 and 2 characters have had their hair color changed in the past (DQII hero has been depicted with dark, blue, and white hair). Though I would say almost all versions of the DQ1 hero with his helmet on has him with dark eyebrows.
DRhZt4u.png

This seemed like such an obvious alt Erdrick color to go for that I'm surprised it didn't happen.

Sakurai has often shown affinity for classic desings. Just look at Erdricks model in Smash. He has the bangs under his circlet, while many modern designs of Erdrick have the bangs omitted. Yet, Sakurai went with the classic boxart version with the bangs, so it makes sense that he went with an allusion to the DQ1 armor design.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RPD lobby would be so good. Really iconic background, then you have multiple levels to platform on. Let Mr. X walk out of one of the doors and through the lobby for that tension too.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I think they made the DQ1 hero blonde to better differentiate him but I've never been a fan of that look.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
RPD lobby would be so good. Really iconic background, then you have multiple levels to platform on. Let Mr. X walk out of one of the doors and through the lobby for that tension too.
That would be amazing. He walks in and out of doors, and in and out the background/foreground with the stairs. His theme plays anytime he shows up.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder how many Solos we're going to see online

Probably not many compared to the other 3 alts, I assume

Even though DQ4 was my first Dragon Quest, I'm using Erdrick. I've been playing DQ3 over the last week and wandering around in circles while fighting enemies for an hour is oddly relaxing.

Jun 11, 2019

Even though DQ4 was my first Dragon Quest, I'm using Erdrick. I've been playing DQ3 over the last week and wandering around in circles while fighting enemies for an hour is oddly relaxing.
I'll probably use all of them to a certain extent but I'll definitely be mainlining the Guv.
7ca6d7f0-7c0d-438e-8b69-c2229fbc6b4b.jpg

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they gave him blonde hair in those arcade games to make him look different from Erdrick when he isn't wearing a helmet. He clearly has black eyebrows in old artwork.

Yeah, I definitely noticed those eyebrows since that's why I assumed that his hairs were black. I think him being blonde is kinda permanent thing now.

This seemed like such an obvious alt Erdrick color to go for that I'm surprised it didn't happen.

Yeah, Solo got DQ1 Hero alt so I guess it kinda made sense because he kinda have those horns (but it's more of dragon ears or whatever it is.) Maybe I will find out what it was when I play Dragon Quest 4 someday.

I wouldn't say this is anything definitive. DQ 1 and 2 characters have had their hair color changed in the past (DQII hero has been depicted with dark, blue, and white hair). Though I would say almost all versions of the DQ1 hero with his helmet on has him with dark eyebrows.
DRhZt4u.png

Sakurai has often shown affinity for classic desings. Just look at Erdricks model in Smash. He has the bangs under his circlet, while many modern designs of Erdrick have the bangs omitted. Yet, Sakurai went with the classic boxart version with the bangs, so it makes sense that he went with an allusion to the DQ1 armor design.

Yeah, I think Enix is being serious about them retconning Dragon Quest 1 Hero's hairs since he was a blonde in Dragon Quest Anniversary Collection; and like you said, Dragon Quest Battle Victory. Now Smash Bros have him as a blonde as well.

The screenshot I took from Smash Bros trailer (Final Smash obviously)

sqf0A5S.png

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Erdrick's Descendant has been retconned to be blonde since the GBC days I believe. I don't mind it too much since that helps with differentiating him from Erdrick proper.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Do anyone still have any access to the image map where people pointed out the Erdrick's Smash model were taken from both version of Erdrick?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What would Heroine's Final Smash be if they added her as an echo, with female Erdrick, Sofia, Female Nine and Female Ten(?) as alts? That's like... all the female playable characters in the series.

Female party members, I guess? Alena, Jessica and Jade come out and beat up some people?

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I pick Solo it'll be for the DQ1 color.

Yeah, Solo got DQ1 Hero alt so I guess it kinda made sense because he kinda have those horns (but it's more of dragon ears or whatever it is.) Maybe I will find out what it was when I play Dragon Quest 4 someday.
None of the color choices are tied to story relevance or anything, just certain design similarities. They all fit well enough, though Angelo is a fairly loose fit for the Luminary in terms of color distribution.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What would Heroine's Final Smash be if they added her as an echo, with female Erdrick, Sofia, Female Nine and Female Ten(?) as alts? That's like... all the female playable characters in the series.

Female party members, I guess? Alena, Jessica and Jade come out and beat up some people?

If they had added an heroine skin you'd presumably just get the other ones there too for the Final Smash animation for both male and female characters, rather than it being gender based.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still find it somewhat strange that Richter is about 3-4 characters above Simon in the game's character select database. Every other base fighter is directly followed by their echo. I guess they figured Richter had the better moveset, so once they got him right, they could apply it to Simon just because he's the og.

Huh? In his moveset code there are references to SimonWhip, and like other clones Richter has FIGHTER_SIMON status code.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
A Monster Hunter stage with some platforms on wooden pillars overlooking a grass field in the back where random turf wars between flagship monsters happen that can shake the stage and knock down some of the platforms until the palico rebuild them.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
A Monster Hunter stage with some platforms on wooden pillars overlooking a grass field in the back where random turf wars between flagship monsters happen that can shake the stage and knock down some of the platforms until the palico rebuild them.
And Konchu as enemies that ruin the whole stage in that special Yellow Devil/Other M Ridley kind of way.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they've toned down the stage hazards from base game 4 stages. 4's DLC stages and Ultimate's stages thus far are a big step up. Like I think of the Ultimate stages thus far Moray Towers is the only one I flat out dislike to play on, and that's due to the unorthodox platform layout.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'll definitely be using 3 and his alt color

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
"Because of its unique place in Nintendo history, Monster Hunter Tri holds a special place in our hearts. So, periodically the stage will flood and the characters will move very slowly and lose access to half of their moves."

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem hype is setting in. I now want a second Fighter Pass with Byleth wielding a whip-sword and rewinding time via Divine Pulse (picture Prince of Persia: Sands of Time).

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still so frustrating that hazardless Wily's Castle loses the platforms. They couldn't have thought a little bit why people wanted to turn off hazards instead of just opting for Omega mode?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem hype is setting in. I now want a second Fighter Pass with Byleth wielding a whip-sword and rewinding time via Divine Pulse (picture Prince of Persia: Sands of Time).
I gotta say I'm much warmer on Byleth then when we first knew about them.

Whip sword and female alt? Sounds good.
They don't even need blue hair.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say I'm much warmer on Byleth then when we first knew about them.

Whip sword and female alt? Sounds good.
They don't even need blue hair.
For Byleth's Divine Pulse, rewinding time, imagine being knocked way off stage -- too far to recover with jumps -- but you have the ability to rewind time, just for your character, which plays out an animation where you fly back onto stage in reverse, lol.

It could be a Down Special or something, but there could be limits on how it's used, for the sake of balance.

That, plus a sword that shape-shifts between a blade and a whip, would make for a well-justified eighth addition to the FE reps.

Put Byleth in an all-first-party Fighters Pass - Season 2 that also includes Spring Man (upgraded from AT), Pearl & Marina, Rex & Pyra, etc.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For Byleth's Divine Pulse, rewinding time, imagine being knocked way off stage -- too far to recover with jumps -- but you have the ability to rewind time, just for your character, which plays out an animation where you fly back onto stage in reverse, lol.

It could be a Down Special or something, but there could be limits on how it's used, for the sake of balance.

That, plus a sword that shape-shifts between a blade and a whip, would make for a well-justified eighth addition to the FE reps.

Put Byleth in an all-first-party Fighters Pass - Season 2 that also includes Spring Man (upgraded from AT), Pearl & Marina, Rex & Pyra, etc.

No Astral Chain Officer?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth's Divine Pulse will be a down special, where the moment you're hit, the world slows down, everything goes purple, you dodge the attack and then attack successfully instead

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Naw. I don't really mind the waiting between the updates since I would able to focus on finish the backlog.

I think I'm almost done with Dragon Quest (again I think). I decided to take a looks at the arts. I was blown away with the fact that DQ1 MC is a blonde! I always thought he had black hairs.

694XPOd.png

Yeah, the Wii era featured a bunch of fresh redesigns for the Erdrick trilogy. You're not wrong, DQ1 Erdrick looked like this (SNES remake)

R34NYlF.png

And Gwaelin was straight up Toriyama Daisy:

ylFYqaU.png

Yeah I said this several times in previous threads. Crazy! Maybe because 5 is popular so they wanted to include him somehow?

Anyway, this made me realize just how on the ball that original 2ch leak was. It said we were getting Erdrick with 3 alts, Luminary, Female Erdrick, and Anlucia each sporting an alternate color. It ended up being half right. Seems totally plausible that might've been the original plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.