• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, K. Rool and Ridley are major villains and Banjo & Kazooie are the main protagonists of their games. Waluigi is still just an inconsequential spinoff filler character.

Those other characters were obviously brought in due to fan demand, but I feel like they had other qualities to them besides that. All Waluigi really has on his side are memes.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of any other "realizable" characters not in Smash that are bigger than Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft without reaching across the isle again (ex. Master Chief). Would S-E get another rep so soon? Technically, they would be communicating mostly with Eidos I would imagine for Lara.

I'm reposting this from another thread, but I think Sakurai went with the four characters with the most similar abilities and characterizations while also keeping in mind the history of the DQ series. The DQIII hero represents the Erdrick trilogy (1986-1988), the DQIV hero represents the Zenithia trilogy (1990-1995), the DQVIII hero represents the early 3D games, and the DQXI hero represents the modern era. It's a good balance.
DQ1's hero is a descendant of DQ3's (Erdrick). DQ2 is also implied to take part in the same universe, making them a loosely connected trilogy instead of truly standalone games.

So I guess they just wanted to represent different continuities.
Ah, I see

I wonder why we don't get fighter videos for DLC character. Those little 10 second trailers were neat. And Plant got one
Yeah, I don't get it either. I guess Plant is special because he comes off as being meant for the base game but they ran out of time.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I finished updating my likelihood tier list.

my-image-26.png

Does Bayo 2 look go to the WiiU, bike Wario on GBA, tuxedo Mario on Switch and Fiercy Deity Link to the n64 then?

...is there some Inkling clothing options that are Splatoon 2 exclusive?
Bayo still showed up first elsewhere, as did Wario. The thing with Luminary is that he's his own character who just so happens to be one of four variants, like the Koopalings. Also, the Inklings in Smash are exclusively their Splatoon 1 incarnations.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still do not think Doomslayer is likely at all. I'll eat a shoe if they'll add that franchise into Smash. And then I'll proceed to crush the skulls of children like Lucas and get their brains and blood all over the stage. Yoshi's Island would look great covered in gore.

That last bit is /s obviously. I really do not think that kind of brutality has a place in Smash. And unlike characters like Joker or Bayonetta, toning down the brutality with Doom would be completely missing the point of Doom.

I wonder why we don't get fighter videos for DLC character. Those little 10 second trailers were neat. And Plant got one

I imagine Piranha got one cause it didn't get a full CG reveal. But yeah, it'd be cool to see a little more gameplay footage from the DLC characters.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Only thing that can top banjo for me is skull kid. I don't expect them to top that announcement though that doesn't mean i there aren't other characters I want. You can't expect the announcements to get bigger each time.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were easier to get in than Cloud. There's already more Dragon Quest content in Ultimate from a 3 minute trailer, than Final Fantasy and Cloud managed to come back
Just made me think of this. Now FF has no excuse.

Maybe Sugiyama was actually more open than Uematsu? Lol idk

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Travis Touchdown, and several of those first party characters, are absolutely not bigger than Sans lol.

They don't need to be. He would be competing with the third parties and the bar is lower for first party people, like it always has been.

Sans definitely isn't in the running though. Realistically if they could get anyone, which after Banjo they probably can, I'd say the biggest two missing now are Sora and Goku (ugh).

Heck, despite the vocal nature of the undertale fanbase, I wouldn't even put him as the top indie choice.

It would probably be either the knight or hornet from Hollow Knight. A game that has done so well on Nintendo hardware that they've not even bothered confirming if other console platforms will get it yet.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Who'd have thought a year ago that a year later we'd be getting a trailer with playable K. Rool cheering on newly revealed playable Banjo...

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Waluigi makes perfect sense as the next "we heard your demand" character pick after Banjo. However, even disregarding the assist trophy, he seems like such an odd pick for the Fighter's Pass because he doesn't offer much in way of music, spirits, and Mii costumes, unless they just decide to embrace his meme status and do more remixes of Waluigi Pinball and a Spirit Board of different Waluigis.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Sora is biggest character missing but wirh DQ in I assume his chances are RIP for season 1. Do not quote me to say there won't be a season 2

Right now, among 3rd parties, I want Crash and Master Chief. Just would be cool for me to see the original PlayStation and Xbox mascots in this game.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyways I don't think Banjo will be topped in hype with a final reveal, just like Ridley and K. Rool weren't the final reveals for the base game despite getting the most hype from hardcore fans.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get a double reveal again in the winter, after Banjo is out. Would be nice since I thought Hero and Banjo were a perfect pair for a double reveal.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So now with Banjo and DQ done, where do we go from here? Doom Guy? Resident Evil rep?
Probably Resident Evil since it's the biggest third party franchise not already in Smash, but not sure about what else. If the Mii Costume Theory is still around after the DQ Heroes drop, I guess Tekken would be the next logical step. Otherwise, it's open season.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My point still stands, most of those characters are still more well known and more deserving than some indie char from less than 5 years ago that wasn't even the main character.

Oh I don't disagree, I don't think Sans is likely at all. Partially because he, indeed, is not the main character.
But I also think that you're underestimating just how big Undertale is, and how popular it is in Japan - especially for an indie title. It and Shovel Knight are in essence the only indie games that have any serious shot at ever getting added to Smash (at least, as it currently stands).

They don't need to be. He would be competing with the third parties and the bar is lower for first party people, like it always has been.

Sans definitely isn't in the running though. Realistically if they could get anyone, which after Banjo they probably can, I'd say the biggest two missing now are Sora and Goku (ugh).

I mean if we're pulling out non-gaming franchises, there absolutely are bigger franchises than DBZ - Marvel (particularly Spider-Man; and with Nintendo working with Marvel for Ultimate Alliance 3, that wouldn't be impossible), Star Wars and Harry Potter, all are series that are bigger than Dragonball.
That said, I do not believe we'll be getting non-gaming characters. That's basically the single one explicit rule that Sakurai has stated - several times even - in regards to Smash, and I think that Nintendo definitely has the respect for him as director for one of their biggest flagship franchises to not force that on him, and given the selections so far, I do think that he has some sway in the selection process as well.

Plus, most of these non-gaming characters are an absolute mess to license because there's regional license holders that you'd have to negotiate with. Like if you know Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Capcom was not able to procure the rights for one Tatsunoko character in the West, who was then cut in the Western release of the game.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But I also think that you're underestimating just how big Undertale is, and how popular it is in Japan - especially for an indie title. It and Shovel Knight are in essence the only indie games that have any serious shot at ever getting added to Smash (at least, as it currently stands).

Honestly shovel knight isn't even the biggest "knight" indie game, Hollow knight usurped it (and has significantly outsold it too. Shovel squeezed past 2m last year, some four years after release Hollow had already passed 2.8 in under two years).

I agree we won't be getting non- game characters either, but just because Sakurai wouldn't want to rather than the mess of rights being tied up.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil is going to be the new Dragon Quest of speculation where we talk about the franchise forever until it eventually happens. It's now the biggest Japanese IP not in Smash.

Tekken, Devil May Cry, and Kingdom Hearts all feel like worthy picks too.

For the west, I feel like the biggest picks are Halo, Crash Bandicoot, and DOOM.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil and Tekken are already beginning to dominate discussion...

God fucking dammit.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly shovel knight isn't even the biggest "knight" indie game, Hollow knight usurped it (and has significantly outsold it too).

Really? Wow.
That said, Shovel Knight has much closer ties to Nintendo, given the amiibos and everything.

I agree we won't be getting non- game characters either, but just because Sakurai wouldn't want to rather than the mess of rights being tied up.

Of course, I'm just saying that's another roadblock that would stand in the way of non-game characters.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished updating my likelihood tier list.

my-image-26.png

Bayo still showed up first elsewhere, as did Wario. The thing with Luminary is that he's his own character who just so happens to be one of four variants, like the Koopalings. Also, the Inklings in Smash are exclusively their Splatoon 1 incarnations.
No elsa/artorias?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If we ever get an indie rep, it'll be Quote

- Japanese
- First "big" indie game Nintendo got on their console
- Popular all over the world
- WiiWare icon
- Bajillion ports on Nintendo's consoles
- Nicalis are easy to work with, crossover with everything, and were early supporters of the Switch

Deleted member 52093

Banned
Jan 17, 2019
I don't think Bamco is getting a rep simply due to how modest they've been. But if they do, it's between either Tekken and Tales. However, I have a weird feeling that an RE is highly likely. At the end of the day, I rather not be pigeonhole into discussing Tekken/RE for months.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really? Wow.
That said, Shovel Knight has much closer ties to Nintendo, given the amiibos and everything.

Maybe they do, I'm not sure. The hollow knight Devs have a decent relation with Nintendo hardware at least too, given that Hollow Knights sequel, silksong is currently only announced for pc and switch, and has been in directs, Vs the first game which eventually launched on everything.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When will Ace Attorney be dominating the discussion ;_;
I think it has a better chance of getting in that other, much better selling, franchises because of how character driven it is and how fan requested Nick is. But like... even if you got a Capcom character Resi and Dante would probably make more people happy and would sell more.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think it has a better chance of getting in that other, much better selling, franchises because of how character driven it is and how fan requested Nick is. But like... even if you got a Capcom character Resi and Dante would probably make more people happy and would sell more.
There's also Monster Hunter to consider, who would be a huge hit in a post-MHW world (especially in Japan).

Status
Not open for further replies.