Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 3 | Seeking Answers to the Un-Bear-able Quest-ions!

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
There was a similar feeling after 8/8. Then Isabelle sent it into chaos again.

I wonder what the reactions will be to fighter 4, because it's probably not what a lot of people are expecting (people are already saying Geno is teed up now because of Banjo).
I think Fighter 4 is going to be like an awkward middle child who can never live up to what came before and who isn't going to be remembered that well after the last character is out

Melpomene

Jun 9, 2019

I wonder what the reactions will be to fighter 4, because it's probably not what a lot of people are expecting (people are already saying Geno is teed up now because of Banjo).
I certainly don't expect it to be Geno. I also think that anyone expecting the next fighter to "top" Banjo is very much on the wrong track, considering the history of Smash reveals and the overall exposure E3 has.

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't expect it to be Geno. I also think that anyone expecting the next fighter to "top" Banjo is very much on the wrong track, considering the history of Smash reveals and the overall exposure E3 has.
I don’t think it’s possible to top B&K as DLC characters. Who else is left? I mean characters that people would lose their minds over, Minecraft Steve or even Master Chief would only be “eh” characters. Cool, but not what fans are asking for.

ShinobiBk

Dec 28, 2017
Doom Slayer is character 4, so that's definitely not a step down.
His companion is the double shotgun or chainsaw, take your pick

I don’t think it’s possible to top B&K as DLC characters. Who else is left? I mean characters that people would lose their minds over, Minecraft Steve or even Master Chief would only be “eh” characters. Cool, but not what fans are asking for.
Hahahaha
Come on, let's not be disingenuous

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over how lame and insipid Isabelle's reveal trailer was.

All these other CGI trailers had a wacky fun crossover aspect to them that made them exciting to watch. Ridley axing off Mega Man and Mario, Luigi with the Poltergust in Dracula's Castle, Dedede messing with the Kongs by cosplaying as K. Rool, and even Incineroar had the dual reveal with Ken, which was a nice touch, and also had Little Mac, K. Rool, Bowser Jr. and Villager making cameos. But Isabelle's trailer had like, nothing.

I remember when people were debating over if Isabelle would be an echo figther of Villager or a unique character, and I kinda wondered to myself "Well, how does one go about making a big flashy CG trailer for Isabelle on the same level as K. Rool's or Simon's?". Turns out the answer is "we're not even gonna fucking try" lol.

Hailinel

Oct 27, 2017

Do Geno fans live to torment themselves?

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I know third party DLC is more hype/sells better but tbh I kinda want the last two characters to be first party. I certainly wouldnt complain if we got Jill or Leon, Phoenix Wright, etc but man, I just want Rhythm Heaven.

Lumi

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over how lame and insipid Isabelle's reveal trailer was.

All these other CGI trailers had a wacky fun crossover aspect to them that made them exciting to watch. Ridley axing off Mega Man and Mario, Luigi with the Poltergust in Dracula's Castle, Dedede messing with the Kongs by cosplaying as K. Rool, and even Incineroar had the dual reveal with Ken, which was a nice touch, and also had Little Mac, K. Rool, Bowser Jr. and Villager making cameos. But Isabelle's trailer had like, nothing.

I remember when people were debating over if Isabelle would be an echo figther of Villager or a unique character, and I kinda wondered to myself "Well, how does one go about making a big flashy CG trailer for Isabelle on the same level as K. Rool's or Simon's?". Turns out the answer is "we're not even gonna fucking try" lol.
It was perfectly lax for an Animal Crossing character and there was somewhat of a fakeout aspect to it that would have been undermined by other Smash characters.

Lumi

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonborn would be easy because they wouldn't have to finish developing them. Just enjoy clipping into the stage.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when pepole were saying Nintendo was negotiating with Bethesda on something.
Well, that actually did kinda happen.

As a final, last-minute question, Hines was then asked about Super Smash Bros., and particularly whether or not Bethesda has spoken to Nintendo about the franchise. His response?

"Oh yeah".

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Hey fellas, I've been out of the loop for a while so I want to ask a silly question. Do we have any indication of whatever character we could be getting next?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when pepole were saying Nintendo was negotiating with Bethesda on something.
Bethesda guy confirmed, when directly asked, that Bethesda was talking to Nintendo about Smash. I imagine two dozen of publishers did, in a respectable fashion, and twice as many did out of it. Nintendo/Sakurai could have just nodded and moved on. Well, in case of Bethesda they probably would send a nicely written denial since they have some genuinely iconic characters.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hey fellas, I've been out of the loop for a while so I want to ask a silly question. Do we have any indication of whatever character we could be getting next?
To quote what I said earlier...
There aren't really any rumored fighters now. If the Mii Costume Theory holds up, we can probably expect Capcom & Bandai Namco reps (maybe Tekken for Bamco). Otherwise, we're mostly in the dark.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I see him as having a good chance, but Dragon Quest finally being in the game is good for Geno in the future since it has eliminated his biggest competition from the S-E newcomer roster. I mean the biggest competition he has now is 2B (if they want a relevant, up and coming new IP) or Sora (if Sakurai/Nintendo is willing to license him from Disney).

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how any future character announcement could top Banjo's reveal.

Even if you don't have much history with the character - people will know that the significance of a Microsoft IP appearing in a Nintendo game.

This was not a typical reveal. I still believe it was the only one to exceed Snake/Sonic's reveal trailer (which I didn't think was even possible until yesterday).

Red Arremer

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine Hero's gonna be releasing in July, and Banjo in early October. His exact release date and DLC4 will be announced in the September Direct. DLC4 will release in early December, and DLC5 (and possibly DLC4's release date) will be announced at TGA 2019, with a release of February 2020 for DLC5.
That way, they'll have a character every 2-3 months from here on out, till Feb 2020.

Means absolutely nothing, though. Even if they've talked about Smash, for all we know, Bethesda brought it up and Nintendo was like Nah, and it'd still be correct to say they talked about Smash.