Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 3 | Seeking Answers to the Un-Bear-able Quest-ions!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure both Hero and Banjo will have New Content Approaching videos just as Joker did, and they'll reveal the release dates of their respective updates.

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
I imagine Hero's gonna be releasing in July, and Banjo in early October. His exact release date and DLC4 will be announced in the September Direct. DLC4 will release in early December, and DLC5 (and possibly DLC4's release date) will be announced at TGA 2019, with a release of February 2020 for DLC5.
That way, they'll have a character every 2-3 months from here on out, till Feb 2020.

Means absolutely nothing, though. Even if they've talked about Smash, for all we know, Bethesda brought it up and Nintendo was like Nah, and it'd still be correct to say they talked about Smash.
I think Banjo's release date gets announced in an August direct and he releases in September.

That would line the next DLC to release in early December (1 year anniversary) and the final one to be on track for February (albeit, late February)

jph139

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Bethesda and Ubisoft are the two biggest Western companies I'd expect to get a character, now that Microsoft has opened the door. And I think Dovahkiin is the most likely option because... Skyrim is such a huge fucking game.

He's pretty high on my list honestly. Dovahkiin and Jill would probably be my personal preference for the final two.

Red Arremer

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda and Ubisoft are the two biggest Western companies I'd expect to get a character, now that Microsoft has opened the door. And I think Dovahkiin is the most likely option because... Skyrim is such a huge fucking game.

He's pretty high on my list honestly. Dovahkiin and Jill would probably be my personal preference for the final two.
I think Activision has a good shot, too. Maybe even more so than Bethesda.

UltraMagnus

Oct 27, 2017
I think a Resident Evil series character is next.

It was kinda bizarre how Resident Evil got its own segment in the Nintendo Direct that had to be done by a film crew. It's like they're trying to build the franchise up for Switch.

If you look at it too, now that Dragon Quest is in, that leaves Resident Evil as really the only big Japanese IP that isn't represented.

jph139

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I think Activision has a good shot, too. Maybe even more so than Bethesda.
I think they're on the table for sure. We got DK and Bowser in Skylanders after all. But on Switch I feel like Bethesda has had more of a presence, with lots of same-day ports and stuff.

But hey, we got Ganondorf in Diablo just a few months ago. So I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Crash was coming.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think a Resident Evil series character is next.

It was kinda bizarre how Resident Evil got its own segment in the Nintendo Direct that had to be done by a film crew. It's like they're trying to build the franchise up for Switch.

If you look at it too, now that Dragon Quest is in, that leaves Resident Evil as really the only big Japanese IP that isn't represented.
Funny enough, ScorchedBacon brought up the same idea to me yesterday. It kinda reminds me of how Nintendo was hyping up Dragon Quest in the Direct before the E3 Direct.

It's a shame that the RE Engine seems to be off-limits for the Switch, as it'd be great to have RE7 on the Switch (natively).

UltraMagnus

Oct 27, 2017
I think all the DLC was specifically chosen by Nintendo for business reasons to cross promote something on the Switch.

Joker = promoting Persona 5 Scramble on Switch, maybe also Nintendo trying to strengthen the IP's visibility on Switch so maybe later instalments come to future Switch systems.

DQ Hero = promoting DQXI S obviously.

Banjo-Kazooie = we'll have to wait but IMO you're going to see either N64 Classic w/Banjo games or Rare Replay for Switch announced for this fall to coincide with Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash.

Jill in Resident Evil (speculation) = I think it was odd that Nintendo went out of their way to give Resident Evil it's own segment in their E3 presser and one that required a full film crew and actors to shoot.

5th character I dunno, depends on what other 3rd party project Nintendo wants to promote I think.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017

I'd be quite happy with Bethesda and Ubisoft reps. Not sure if Rayman would ever be considered a strong candidate.

But Doom Guy/Dovahkiin are definitely good shouts. Feel the former is more likely to be chosen though. To possibly go with Doom '16 or Eternal this fall.

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017

UltraMagnus

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt Joker is being used to promote a spin off game coming out a year later.
Nintendo may also be trying to lay the ground work to landing future Persona games too. It's not a bad business move. I think Persona 5 has some kind of contract with Sony that they can't get out of but maybe the thinking is "well if we establish Joker on the Switch to Nintendo fans, that can set the stage for a Persona 6 maybe on a Switch system".

But I do think all 5 Smash DLC inclusions have a business/marketing element to them.

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo may also be trying to lay the ground work to landing future Persona games too. It's not a bad business move. I think Persona 5 has some kind of contract with Sony that they can't get out of but maybe the thinking is "well if we establish Joker on the Switch to Nintendo fans, that can set the stage for a Persona 6 maybe on a Switch system".
IIRC it was just a matter of Sakurai liking Persona 5 and asking for Joker.

ShinobiBk

Dec 28, 2017
I think all the DLC was specifically chosen by Nintendo for business reasons to cross promote something on the Switch.

Joker = promoting Persona 5 Scramble on Switch, maybe also Nintendo trying to strengthen the IP's visibility on Switch so maybe later instalments come to future Switch systems.

DQ Hero = promoting DQXI S obviously.

Banjo-Kazooie = we'll have to wait but IMO you're going to see either N64 Classic w/Banjo games or Rare Replay for Switch announced for this fall to coincide with Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash.

Jill in Resident Evil (speculation) = I think it was odd that Nintendo went out of their way to give Resident Evil it's own segment in their E3 presser and one that required a full film crew and actors to shoot.

5th character I dunno, depends on what other 3rd party project Nintendo wants to promote I think.
Nah, Joker definitely wasn't to promote a random Warriors game of all things.
These are just the characters they think will sell the most.

Persona 5 Scramble is on Switch cause it's a KT game and they port almost everything to the system

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
Thought this was fun to make: the roster so far...

Just on newcomers alone this is an incredible Smash game, but when you consider Everyone Is Here, it's mindblowing.

Hailinel

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo kinda likes money, so my bet is that's still happening. NES Classic and SNES Classic were huge successes, and the trend for micro-consoles is not ending (see: Turbo Grafx 16 is freaking getting a micro-console).
They were successes, but also something of a stopgap in that weird time when the Wii U was flailing on life support and the Switch was still in development. A proper N64 Classic is also more complicated to get down to a similar price range and the games are more difficult to emulate than NES and SNES ROMs.

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
They were successes, but also something of a stopgap in that weird time when the Wii U was flailing on life support and the Switch was still in development. A proper N64 Classic is also more complicated to get down to a similar price range and the games are more difficult to emulate than NES and SNES ROMs.
Plus does anyone want to use that three pronged monstrosity controller again?

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
N64 controllers seem like they'd be costly for Nintendo to produce and include, especially since the device would need to support 4 of them. They'd either have to pack in 4 (no way) or sell them separately, which is a whole new product on the market.

UltraMagnus

Oct 27, 2017
The chip in the NES/SNES Classic is more powerful than the Wii processor, (or 3DS even I believe) which ran N64 games just fine. I think that same chip can run the N64 titles, in fact I suspect that's why they chose that chip in the first place. It's ridiculously over powered if their reasoning was to only run NES and SNES titles.

There's never a "we're making too much money now" thing either, that's not something Nintendo looks at I doubt.

N64 Classic was probably supposed to be out last year but the NES Classic/SNES Classic were still selling too well and Nintendo wanted to milk that, now they have.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Monster Hunter is next in my opinion. With Dragon Quest now included, MH is the biggest non-Nintendo Japanese franchise to not have a playable character in Smash. Seems probably especially since Rathalos is already in the game

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember Indie Gamer Chick?

I remember dismissing this as delusional wishful thinking, but then, of course, Banjo eventually happened as DLC.

As it turns out, she actually does seem to have real connections with Microsoft, Sabi/Polarpanda vouched for her awhile ago. This was posted on Smashboards awhile back.