Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 3 | Seeking Answers to the Un-Bear-able Quest-ions!

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
We already have the archetypical fighting game characters in Smash, and that’s Ken and Ryu. Those are the characters that are in the pop culture, even if recent installments of Tekken technically sell better than recent installments of Street Fighter.
I don't see the relevance here. Dragon Quest is the archetypal JRPG, but we also have guest characters from Final Fantasy and Persona. Why should the entire fighting game genre be capped at one series?

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Agumon, huh? I wonder how they'd incorporate a digivolving gimmick, obviously Greymon would have to be restricted to a final smash since he's a big chunky boy.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I don't see the relevance here. Dragon Quest is the archetypal JRPG, but we also have guest characters from Final Fantasy and Persona. Why should the entire fighting game genre be capped at one series?
Master Chief is technically a fighting game character.

(shut up lore nerds, I know it wasn't actually Chief, it was Nicole, but her status as canon is iffy at best)

Wondergal

Oct 25, 2017
If Jill/another RE character made it into Smash here's some good, eerie music (more atmospheric than anything) to include as they are:

REmake:

RE4:

And please use the Spencer Mansion from REmake:

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
From most selling to less
Assasins Creed looks really possible.
Minecraft
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Halo
Crash Bandicoot
Monster Hunter
Tekken
Fallout
Diablo
Kingdom Hearts
Rayman
Puyo Puyo
Prince of Persia
Devil May Cry
Professor Layton
Tales of
Soul Calibur
Dark Souls
Raving Rabbids
Yokai Watch
Doom
Ninja Gaiden
Ace Attorney
Minecraft seems like a real possibility- they already have Microsoft on board AND minecraft already has Mario stuff in it.
Monster hunter already has representation but no character, so I could see that there too.
Rayman, Rabbids also already have representation in SMash but no character
Soul Calibur has had Link in it before
I really dont see something ultraviolent like Doom or Resident Evil
Tomb Raider would probably end up being her old design?

Nov 5, 2017
You know if Agumon gets in, it'd open up so many arguments among the casual crowd.

Most of them being "iF AgUmOn cAn GeT In WhY CaNt gOku?" Hell, i doubt many of Smash's fanbase doesnt even know about the virtual pet origins. In most of the world, Digimon is an anime first, virtual pet second.
Which may be an issue but "shrugs" i think it would work

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
I realized a few hours ago that I think the reason I'm more excited for these next two DLC characters is because these two are the first DLC characters whose games I played before they were announced.

I've played Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, Grunty's Revenge and Nuts and Bolts (lol I'm a huge fan of the series), and for Dragon Quest, I've played IV, IX and Builders, and since Solo is an alt, I've counted it

Street Fighter I bought after Ryu leaked, FF7 I just played a few months ago when it released on the Switch, and I've never played Persona 5 (or any Persona), FE Fates or Bayonetta 1 or 2.

KtotheRoc

Oct 27, 2017
I realized a few hours ago that I think the reason I'm more excited for these next two DLC characters is because these two are the first DLC characters whose games I played before they were announced.

I've played Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie, Grunty's Revenge and Nuts and Bolts (lol I'm a huge fan of the series), and for Dragon Quest, I've played IV, IX and Builders, and since Solo is an alt, I've counted it

Street Fighter I bought after Ryu leaked, FF7 I just played a few months ago when it released on the Switch, and I've never played Persona 5 (or any Persona), FE Fates or Bayonetta 1 or 2.
Outside of characters whose games never came to America (like Roy and Lucas), I don't think I've ever been in this situation with Smash. Particularly with third party characters. Although some of the suggestions would put me in that situation. (Although, ironically, not Tekken or Resident Evil, lol. I've played those games.)

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018

I had Persona 5 in my backlog and when Joker got announced I cracked it open and blew through it in a few weeks. Helped me get hyped for his mini Direct.

Otherwise it’s mostly Cloud and Banjo carrying DLC hype but they’re literally my favorite announcements after K. Rool. Persona 5, Final Fantasy VII and Banjo-Kazooie are in my top 5 so I’m in hog heaven.

Definitely getting DQ11 when it hits Switch.

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
We're both frauds.
Never got further than the Jiggoseum in N&B
Never touched Pilot.

But hey, we played Grunty's Revenge, that counts for a lot!
I not just played Grunty's Revenge, I 100% beat it

I don't remember much about the 100% part, just that some of the Jiggies were stupidly annoying to get and the game really wanted you to skip them

I physically couldn't beat Tooie, I'll forever be stuck at like 99% or whatever the Canary minigame counts as. BK, though, I've 100% like 3 times, that game is EZ.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I feel really spoiled because Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie have been my two most wanted third-parties since before the leaks and speculation. I somehow always end up getting what I want (for the most part) in Smash.

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
I was so excited about a new Banjo game I bought a 360 specifically to play Nuts And Bolts. I gave up on it by Banjoland.

Haven’t played Pilot but I do like Grunty’s Revenge! It’s a cute little portable Banjo title.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I not just played Grunty's Revenge, I 100% beat it

I don't remember much about the 100% part, just that some of the Jiggies were stupidly annoying to get and the game really wanted you to skip them
I feel like I recall some of those jiggies locked behind Beaver Bother tier minigames
And the final boss continued the tradition of Grunty being NAILS

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
A true Banjo 3 and Paper Mario 3 are by far my most desired video game announcements. At least Banjo gets a nice trip down memory lane in Smash.

ned_ballad

Oct 25, 2017
Western New York
I still want Paper Mario and Blaziken, then my childhood dreams will have come true. And Bandanna Waddle Dee so my adult dreams come true.

I am never getting Blaziken, but Paper Mario and BWD seem possible, but obviously not as DLC.

Lumi

Oct 25, 2017
Agumon, huh? I wonder how they'd incorporate a digivolving gimmick, obviously Greymon would have to be restricted to a final smash since he's a big chunky boy.
In Digimon Rumble it's built up from a meter and then manually activated for a temporary Digivolution. It would sort of be like if Joker became Arsene and the transformation wasn't automatic.

In Rumble, Agumon Digivoles into Wargreymon rather than Greymon. For Smash, I think a Bowser-sized Greymon would be fine.