• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I've noticed something about the way these last two DLC characters have leaked.

As we know, Tansut had a source from most likely within Square-Enix that told him Cloud was coming to Smash 4. Years later, that same source came and informed him that a Dragon Quest rep of some kind was coming. Tansut asked if it was Erdrick and wasn't denied, obviously because Erdrick would end up being included as an alt.

With Banjo, there were quite a handful of people tight with Microsoft that were saying he was in, way before Shinobi. Like I posted before, Indie Gamer Chick, who does seem to have actual connections to MS, made several hints at upcoming collaborations between Nintendo, Microsoft and Rare, including teases at Smash DLC. Shortly after the VGAs last year, an Xbox enthusiast by the name of Rand Al Thor mentioned that his sources at Microsoft told him that Banjo was coming.

36:45

We also had the Windows Central fiasco back in March, where Sabi was informed by the editor there that his MS sources, too, told her that Banjo was coming. Then lastly Shinobi, who's been known to have inside info regarding Xbox/PS4 stuff, came out with his cryptic tease last week that changed everything.

So yeah, it seems like everyone close to Microsoft was told that Banjo was happening. So I guess the moral of the story here is, between this and Tansut, the best way to leak a third party character coming to Smash is to have a source within said third party lol

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, it seems like everyone close to Microsoft was told that Banjo was happening. So I guess the moral of the story here is, between this and Tansut, the best way to leak a third party character coming to Smash is to have a source within said third party lol
I guess the last two characters are first party now since there's no rumors

it's time for Pokemon and FE

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I've noticed something about the way these last two DLC characters have leaked.

As we know, Tansut had a source from most likely within Square-Enix that told him Cloud was coming to Smash 4. Years later, that same source came and informed him that a Dragon Quest rep of some kind was coming. Tansut asked if it was Erdrick and wasn't denied, obviously because Erdrick would end up being included as an alt.

With Banjo, there were quite a handful of people tight with Microsoft that were saying he was in, way before Shinobi. Like I posted before, Indie Gamer Chick, who does seem to have actual connections to MS, made several hints at upcoming collaborations between Nintendo, Microsoft and Rare, including teases at Smash DLC. Shortly after the VGAs last year, an Xbox enthusiast by the name of Rand Al Thor mentioned that his sources at Microsoft told him that Banjo was coming.

36:45

We also had the Windows Central fiasco back in March, where Sabi was informed by the editor there that his MS sources, too, told her that Banjo was coming. Then lastly Shinobi, who's been known to have inside info regarding Xbox/PS4 stuff, came out with his cryptic tease last week that changed everything.

Wasn't Simon leaked in a similar way too? Like the source was someone at Konami?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im curious if challengers 4 and 5 have even entered development yet. Joker, Hero, and Banjo supposedly all entered development after Ultimate's launch, of course more resources would've been pushed to getting Joker out asap after his reveal.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox conference and DQ heroes being announced first at the direct definitely had banjo fans over at smashboards on their knees. the childhood attachment is real

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, Smash Era, which version of Hero are you planning on using first? The Luminary? Erdrick? Solo? Or Guv?

Although I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games before, I actually have a pretty big soft spot for Guv. I hadn't known it at the time, but my very first introduction to the franchise was through promotional material for DQVIII via Official PlayStation Magazine and other early-00s gaming stuff.

It also makes a lot of sense when you consider how tight of a ship Nintendo and Sakurai run. Their leaks tend to come from technical issues; when it comes to people, they're very good at keeping a small circle of need-to-know and keeping them hush. If you're gonna get info for third-parties it's gonna be easier getting it from the third-parties themselves, since they generally are a bit looser with info (especially if they're planning on utilizing a character joining Smash for marketing).

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im curious if challengers 4 and 5 have even entered development yet. Joker, Hero, and Banjo supposedly all entered development after Ultimate's launch, of course more resources would've been pushed to getting Joker out asap after his reveal.
With Joker out of the way and Hero closer to done, #4 has probably started development. #5 maybe, maybe not yet.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Monster energy theory still holds on.

b8IO0D3.jpg

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Veronica checks off every theory!
-recent
-fan favorite
-has a companion (xander)
-has no spirit
-game, in general, has no spirits
-sells well
-has presxisting cg assets allowing reuse in a cg trailer
-fire emblem bias
-no swords
-game has been around for a while

face it folks, she is a Hard Lock

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If we needed to have a first party character, i'd take a Zelda rep to advertise Link's Awakening and BotW 2

and to let Louisacommie move on

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The next two characters are def gonna be a sight to see. I'm expecting another double announcement sometime later this year with one less important character, and another WTF THEY GOT HIM character.

The underwhelming character might be a new Pokemon, but the WTF THEY GOT HIM character could be Master Chief/Crash/Geralt/Ezio/whatever. I wouldn't even rule out a Sony IP either.

Crossing my fingers for Crash for sure. He really completes the mascots featured in Smash Bros. imo outside of the lack of Bomberman. : (

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Alright, Smash Era, which version of Hero are you planning on using first? The Luminary? Erdrick? Solo? Or Guv?

Erdrick. DQ3 is the only DQ I've played... though I did play as the girl. Oh well.

Solo is cool too. Really I like all of the designs. It's cool to have Toriyama's designs in Smash even if it didn't end up being my completely implausible dream pick Crono.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The next two characters are def gonna be a sight to see. I'm expecting another double announcement sometime later this year with one less important character, and another WTF THEY GOT HIM character.

The underwhelming character might be a new Pokemon, but the WTF THEY GOT HIM character could be Master Chief/Crash/Geralt/Ezio/whatever.

Crossing my fingers for Crash for sure. He really completes the mascots featured in Smash Bros. imo outside of the lack of Bomberman. : (

I doubt they will do another double announcement outside of E3 if they're planning to go until February. That was just for E3.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Erdrick. DQ3 is the only DQ I've played... though I did play as the girl. Oh well.

Solo is cool too. Really I like all of the designs. It's cool to have Toriyama's designs in Smash even if it didn't end up being my completely implausible dream pick Crono.

Man I wish the Smash community rallied behind Crono in a massive and noticable fashion as they did with K. Rool and Banjo.

Chrono Trigger feels like a game with enough historical significance to warrant being in Smash. It'd be amazing to see it, Final Fantasy 7, Dragon Quest and Earthbound all represented in the same game. But alas, unlike Banjo, there's no major pull for it from the fanbase, so it won't happen.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they will do another double announcement outside of E3 if they're planning to go until February. That was just for E3.
Perhaps but I do feel we'll get them closer to one another than how long it took for the Joker reveal until we got Hero/Banjo. The Game Awards would be ripe for Smash DLC news as well, and if the final one is in February it'll probably be the last DLC character revealed.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I'm firmly in the "all Fighters Pass characters will be third party" camp at this stage.
Jill and/or Leon and Crash seem plausible to me.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Perhaps but I do feel we'll get them closer to one another than how long it took for the Joker reveal until we got Hero/Banjo. The Game Awards would be ripe for Smash DLC news as well, and if the final one is in February it'll probably be the last DLC character revealed.

I think we will see fighter 4 revealed in a September/October Direct and 5 at the VGA.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish the Smash community rallied behind Crono in a massive and noticable fashion as they did with K. Rool and Banjo.

Chrono Trigger feels like a game with enough historical significance to warrant being in Smash. It'd be amazing to see it, Final Fantasy 7, Dragon Quest and Earthbound all represented in the same game. But alas, unlike Banjo, there's no major pull for it from the fanbase, so it won't happen.
I can only assume they're holding off on the iaijutsu character in anticipation of adding him

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Chrono Trigger was more of a cult hit in the west is the problem. It sold under 300k outside of Japan. So the western fanbase can't really be rallied up because there isn't much of one, lol.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
1. Crash
2. Doomguy
3. Phoenix Wright

Don't ask me beyond that. I'd be happy with any of these three really.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone clue me in on why Crash is on everyone's lists all of a sudden rn cuz it's making me pretty glad

One of the only third party characters that'd make me lose my shit

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Persona, Dragon Quest, and Banjo is like ultimate dreams come true. I can't imagine whatever they do for characters 4 and 5 could possibly live up to that.

Like getting something from like, DMC, RE, or MH seems possible, but compared to what we already have it's just, boring?

I want Kingdom Hearts and Dark Souls personally. That or go for first party characters. We're still missing Rhythm Heaven damn it!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone clue me in on why Crash is on everyone's lists all of a sudden rn cuz it's making me pretty glad

Honestly with Banjo out of the way, I think he's the western third party character with the most clout of being in.

The Crash Bandicoot IP has sold 60 million units worldwide , and in comparison to most western IPs like DOOM or Rayman, was a huge hit in Japan. Crash 2 sold over a millon units there, and Crash 3 wasn't far behind at over 900,000 units. The first Crash was apparantly the first foreign game to receive a "Gold Prize" in Japan for sales of over 500,000 units.

So really, the only question regarding Crash's inclusion...do Nintendo and Sakurai want him in?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I'm not a huge Crash fan personally (I like the games just fine, I don't love them), but I have a fair bit of nostalgia for the series and think the idea of having Mario, Sonic, and Crash in the same game would be the ultimate 90s nostalgia tribute.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
So which game has the better third-party DLC so far: For or Ultimate?
  • Ryu vs. Banjo & Kazooie - big on Nintendo platforms in the '90s
  • Cloud vs. Hero - Square Enix JRPG legends
  • Bayonetta vs. Joker - stylish gunslingers hailing from modern classics

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Veronica checks off every theory!
-recent
-fan favorite
-has a companion (xander)
-has no spirit
-game, in general, has no spirits
-sells well
-has presxisting cg assets allowing reuse in a cg trailer
-fire emblem bias
-no swords
-game has been around for a while

face it folks, she is a Hard Lock

Dunno if this post was jokey or not but I'd actually like to see her. She'd also rep Nintendo's mobile inituative. Plus she's female and a villain.
She could use magic and even summon other FE characters for attacks. Would be pretty sweet.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Persona, Dragon Quest, and Banjo is like ultimate dreams come true. I can't imagine whatever they do for characters 4 and 5 could possibly live up to that.

Like getting something from like, DMC, RE, or MH seems possible, but compared to what we already have it's just, boring?

I want Kingdom Hearts and Dark Souls personally. That or go for first party characters. We're still missing Rhythm Heaven damn it!
Like I said before, Smash hype cycles rarely go out with a bang.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

The only newcomer in the Smash 4 DLC that excited me was Cloud. Banjo beats him just barely and Joker was also exciting.

Ultimate beats Smash 4 in basically every category for me.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going with for

only matchup in Ult's favor is Cloud vs. Hero

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's on my list because Crash 2 is my favourite game ever. He has quite a bit of potential for a Smash moveset as well.

Yeah but I've been seeing his name come up a lot post-E3 as if there were some buzz around him I don't know about. I think he's a great fit for Smash and is my personal third party dream addition

Status
Not open for further replies.