• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Which is all irrelevant anyway because the point is that he's not that associated with swords.
I think the bigger issue is that the protagonist of V is not a Hero. The word Hero is a very strictly defined term in Dragon Quest that refers to both a story element and a character class. The protag of V is explicitly neither.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think a Cairo Station stage similar to the one we got DOA4 would be the coolest. Seeing UNSC and Covenant ships fly around outside the hangar doors would be amazing.

That could be pretty good, too! Personally, I want a big battle going on in the background for a Halo level :P

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
It's an Oaken Staff. It's classified as a wand in IX and X.

Plus, his personal ultimate weapon in V is the Dragon Staff.
What does it have to do with magic? It's just a staff without being tied to mages or anything, it doesn't even exist outside of those 3 games.
True, the Dragon Staff is his strongest exclusive weapon, but not the strongest weapon in the game.
Most of his equipable weapons are still swords, and the strongest one is a sword.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What does it have to do with magic? It's just a staff without being tied to mages or anything, it doesn't even exist outside of those 3 games.
True, the Dragon Staff is his strongest exclusive weapon, but not the strongest weapon in the game.
Most of his equipable weapons are still swords, and the strongest one is a sword.
The point though is that the DQV protagonist isn't the Hero.

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking in 3rd party characters that are still not in Smash that could happen, anyone missing?

Ubisoft
Ezio Auditore
Rayman
Prince (Prince of Persia)
Sam Fisher

Microsoft
Master Chief
Steve

Activision / Blizzard
Sarah Kerrigan
Spyro
Crash
Arthas
Tracer

Capcom
Jill Valentine / Leon Kennedy / Chris Redfiel
Chun-Li
Dante
Hunter - Monster Hunter
Amaterasu

Square Enix
Lara Croft
Sora

Bethesda
Doomslayer
Dovahkiin

Rockstar
Max Payne

Electronic Arts
Commander Shepard

IO Interactive
Agent 47

Warner Bros
Scorpion

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa

Bandai Namco
Lloyd Irving

Level-5
Professor Layton

Spike Chunsoft
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom
Adol Christin (Ys series)

Grasshopper
Travis Touchdown

.n_n.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Joker is easily the weakest and most out there of the three picks so far. I know Persona is popular, and there's no ironclad criteria for Sakurai's picks, but I personally don't think it's a good pick.

I prefer the characters with longer legacies that are more closely tied to Nintendo systems or obvious huge rivals from earlier gens. I have no interest in Banjo or DQ, but those fit the bill much better to me, and it's hard to argue against those aspects, so I'm fine with them.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Was thinking in 3rd party characters that are still not in Smash that could happen, anyone missing?

Ubisoft
Ezio Auditore
Rayman
Sam Fisher

Microsoft
Master Chief
Steve

Activision / Blizzard
Sarah Kerrigan
Spyro
Crash
Arthas
Tracer

Capcom
Chun-Li
Dante
Hunter - Monster Hunter
Amaterasu

Square Enix
Lara Croft
Sora

Bethesda
Doomslayer
Dovahkiin

Rockstar
Max Payne

Electronic Arts
Commander Shepard

IO Interactive
Agent 47

Warner Bros
Scorpion

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa

Bandai Namco
Lloyd Irving

Level-5
Professor Layton

Spike Chunsoft
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom

Grasshopper
Travis Touchdown

.n_n.
Maybe throw Phoenix Wright into the Capcom section. Also, Tracer has yet to appear on a Nintendo system.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Survival Horror"
Luigi frantically runs out of Dracula's Castle and through a forest before coming upon a mansion in a clearing. He cautiously enters the mansion and a zombie appears, and he fires a plunger at it just like he did to the mummy. The plunger is ineffective, but the zombie is suddenly blasted away with an explosive, and the camera pans around to reveal Jill standing behind Luigi with a grenade launcher.
they can't do a trailer with Luigi because he is dead

how do people not remember this? it was all over the news

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been discussed in the zillion pages since the Direct, but where do we stand with leaks now?
Obviously Vergeben and friends don't know any, but are any of the many, many 4chan ones still standing after this?

We're free from any rumors and leaks so you can discuss about ANYONE. Do not let people force you to believe only certain few characters that have chance tho.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

Ubisoft
Ezio Auditore
Rayman
Sam Fisher

Microsoft
Master Chief
Steve

Activision / Blizzard
Sarah Kerrigan
Spyro
Crash
Arthas
Tracer

Capcom
Chun-Li
Dante
Hunter - Monster Hunter
Amaterasu

Square Enix
Lara Croft
Sora

Bethesda
Doomslayer
Dovahkiin

Rockstar
Max Payne

Electronic Arts
Commander Shepard

IO Interactive
Agent 47

Warner Bros
Scorpion

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa

Bandai Namco
Lloyd Irving

Level-5
Professor Layton

Spike Chunsoft
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom

Grasshopper
Travis Touchdown

.n_n.
The answer is always yes. But I think you got most of the plausible picks here and then some. Research Tekken and generic characters (like MonHun which you got) if you want to patch the biggest holes I noticed.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone is hoping for Jill, but for an RE rep, I think Wesker would be the better choice in terms of move set.

Regardless, it would be pretty awesome to get an RE rep into Smash but at the end of the day I have no room to complain anymore. The bird and the bear made it in and I'm damn happy with that.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the only way Luigi can come back is if Elma helps create a mimeosome Luigi body for his spirit to inhabit and Phoenix Wright brings Maya Fey with him to guide Luigi's spirit to inhabit the mimeosome

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
51knIYB.gif

It would be hilarious if Waluigi ended up getting in Smash Bros via DLC. I meant, the meme and requests for Waluigi faltered so hard after the game comes out. and no one really talk about him in Smash Bros anymore. I know it's late comment on Push's tweet few pages ago but still! I had to make a post about Waluigi.

Deleted member 6223

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
51knIYB.gif

It would be hilarious if Waluigi ended up getting in Smash Bros via DLC. I meant, the meme and requests for Waluigi faltered so hard after the game comes out. and no one really talk about him in Smash Bros anymore. I know it's late comment on Push's tweet few pages ago but still! I had to make a post about Waluigi.
If he made it in, I would change my avatar to Waluigi for a month to show my displeasure lol.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
I really think the next reveal is going to be a first party character.

The last 3 reveals have all been 3rd party, and although it is easier to negotiate 3rd party characters for DLC, I think they'll break the trend with a first party character.

Also: I don't think there's a rule that says the stage has to correlate with the character.

If we got a character from a series that already has many stages from that series, they could just add a missing past stage or two.

Edit: Just bring back Rainbow Road, if Waluigi was added for example.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so like

are people looking at 10 anime swordfighters that look almost identical, except one has cool Demon armor, and saying "I want to play as all of them except the one in cool Demon armor"?

51knIYB.gif

yesssss

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The

No, his spirit got taken by Death.
This conversation is pointless. It could be the other Luigi, or he could be loaded up on 1-ups.

I know everyone is hoping for Jill, but for an RE rep, I think Wesker would be the better choice in terms of move set.
Wesker could be hilarious if they implemented the movie moves. However, we usually get any antagonists as the third rep of a franchise or later (Meta Knight was second, I guess), so he's a long shot.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but I'm still firmly rooting for Heihachi and Jill.

"Clash of Thunder"
Incineroar makes quick work of Villager, Bowser Jr., and King K. Rool, and then Pikachu (preferably Libre) jumps into the ring. After the two fight for a bit, Pikachu emerges victorious, and as it celebrates, someone else drops down into the ring. The camera pans up to reveal Heihachi as he begins charging electricity. Pikachu stores up electricity and the two rush at each other.

"Survival Horror"
Luigi frantically runs out of Dracula's Castle and through a forest before coming upon a mansion in a clearing. He cautiously enters the mansion and a zombie appears, and he fires a plunger at it just like he did to the mummy. The plunger is ineffective, but the zombie is suddenly blasted away with an explosive, and the camera pans around to reveal Jill standing behind Luigi with a grenade launcher.

YES PLEASE! I WANT THIS!

If he made it in, I would change my avatar to Waluigi for a month to show my displeasure lol.

Haha! I was against Waluigi's inclusion in Smash 4. Also I'm in a weird place where I'm still against his inclusion (mostly because of toxic fandom) but at same time, I don't mind his inclusion because he's probably going to be very wacky character in term of moveset. I think I'm mellowed out because I already got all characters I wanted to see in Smash Bros at the point where Waluigi's inclusion wouldn't even affect me.

If you are shocked that I dislike Waluigi then you don't even remember what I said about Waluigi in Smash 4 in old place.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Regardless, it would be pretty awesome to get an RE rep into Smash but at the end of the day I have no room to complain anymore. The bird and the bear made it in and I'm damn happy with that.
  1. Sakurai typically goes for protagonists first.
  2. Smash Ultimate needs more women on the roster.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
While yes the male/female ratio is really bad, but I don't think they have an interest in fixing it. Just look at the DQ Hero. They choose all the iconic heros with swords to match DQ11 guy, but didn't even bother using the female alt version of Erdrick. They're just going to get the most iconic character from a series and that's it.

Oct 25, 2017
Jill would be the best RE choice, but I'm not convinced that any of the likely RE reps (her, Chris, or Leon) would really be that interesting from a moveset perspective.

We're talking about a series where, traditionally, you have to stand still in order to attack getting a rep in a movement-oriented platform fighter whose director emphasizes making characters as faithful as possible to their home series.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'd like to see more antagonists in the game. If they choose to go with an RE rep, again, I believe Wesker has a better variety of moves you can choose from. I'm not saying that they can't do Jill, just that Wesker has more to pull from. I highly doubt they'll go with Battlesuit Jill as that's not her iconic look, and she might end up as another Snake character. If Smash needs more women on the roster, then perhaps DMC is another series to choose from Capcom for a female, move sets and variety.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Say goodbye to Google Theory, say hello to Companion Theory.

tl;dw: all DLC characters have a companion who can appear with them in the mural (Joker and Morgana, Hero and Slime, Banjo and Kazooie)

Personally I think it's reaching, but let's get discussion going.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd like to see more antagonists in the game. If they choose to go with an RE rep, again, I believe Wesker has a better variety of moves you can choose from. I'm not saying that they can't do Jill, just that Wesker has more to pull from. I highly doubt they'll go with Battlesuit Jill as that's not her iconic look, and she might end up as another Snake character. If Smash needs more women on the roster, then perhaps DMC is another series to choose from Capcom for a female, move sets and variety.
RE1 Jill is pretty damn iconic, & it'd be weird to go for a villain as the sole Resident Evil rep (as awesome as Wesker & D.C. Douglas are). And let's be honest, if Sakurai goes for Devil May Cry, nobody is getting in over Dante (not just because of the protagonists-first thing, but also because Dante is too iconic & is basically the grandfather of stylish action games).

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

tl;dw: all DLC characters have a companion who can appear with them in the mural (Joker and Morgana, Hero and Slime, Banjo and Kazooie)

Obviously this confirms the Heavy Weapons Guy from Team Fortress 2, who will be accompanied by the Medic

Last edited:

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Jill would be the best RE choice, but I'm not convinced that any of the likely RE reps (her, Chris, or Leon) would really be that interesting from a moveset perspective.

Agreed. If we don't get Phoenix or Amaterasu, I'd like to at least get the Monster Hunter - tons of material there, although MH's speed would be an interesting hurdle to see Sakurai get past.

I feel like almost any character has a "companion" to appear with, if you reach hard enough.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I think that Joker is easily the weakest and most out there of the three picks so far. I know Persona is popular, and there's no ironclad criteria for Sakurai's picks, but I personally don't think it's a good pick.

I prefer the characters with longer legacies that are more closely tied to Nintendo systems or obvious huge rivals from earlier gens. I have no interest in Banjo or DQ, but those fit the bill much better to me, and it's hard to argue against those aspects, so I'm fine with them.
I really think Joker is a case of Atlus earning whatever representation they wanted, and Atlus chose Joker for their own reasons.

And Atlus really does deserve a rep. It has been a major publisher on Nintendo systems for a long time, almost the entire mainline SMT series in Nintendo exclusive, Atlus made a Virtual Boy game, it provided a ton of support for the DS and 3DS, and so on. Their games lack recurring protagonists and/or really popular mascots that people would latch on to for Smash Bros representation, so going with the protagonist of one of their most popular games ever works in the same way that Cloud does for SE representation.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
So, Banjo versus Joker versus Dark Pit versus Greninja is a thing that can happen. Really makes you do a big thonk.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds like a coincidence, but a really huge one. You know how Mario could have Cappy, Luigi could have Polterpup, Young Link could have Navi...

that said let's note that Murfy is pretty analogous to Morgana when it comes to Rayman, for the sake of spreading Rayman info where possible

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

We're talking about a series where, traditionally, you have to stand still in order to attack getting a rep in a movement-oriented platform fighter whose director emphasizes making characters as faithful as possible to their home series.

If one of them gets in, I'd love for them to be able to summon a zombie like Jill does in MvC2.

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, one of the biggest reasons I'm doubtful about an RE rep is because Chris' moveset in UMvC3 and MvCI is probably my least favorite in those games.

Incidentally, two of my favorites are Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter's.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017

Wow, I can't believe Phoenix and Maya are confirmed just like that.

Edit: Beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.