• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6223

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Companion theory eh? Let me point to you to....

tumblr_muu1il8Dyi1riec8co2_250.gif

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE1 Jill is pretty damn iconic. And let's be honest, if Sakurai goes for Devil May Cry, nobody is getting in over Dante (not just because of the protagonists-first thing, but because Dante is too iconic & is basically the grandfather of stylish action games).

I agree, RE1 Jill is iconic. When I think of Jill, I think of her in the STARS uniform. If they're going with RE1 Jill, her move set is going to be CQC type stuff and weapons, similar to Snake..but I'm making assumptions. Maybe they can pull from MvC2 a bit and give her summons or something, that might make her a little more unique. Otherwise the only other version of Jill worth putting in is the battlesuit version, something I personally don't like and do not feel is a proper representation of the character or the series. If that's the direction they go in as they gear up for an RE rep, I'd rather have Wesker doing the flip kicks and bullet time dodging.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Say goodbye to Google Theory, say hello to Companion Theory.

tl;dw: all DLC characters have a companion who can appear with them in the mural (Joker and Morgana, Hero and Slime, Banjo and Kazooie)

Personally I think it's reaching, but let's get discussion going.

This is very reaching, but just for fun...

Crash Bandicoot with Aku Aku. Maybe even a Coco alt or Echo fighter.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I agree, RE1 Jill is iconic. When I think of Jill, I think of her in the STARS uniform. If they're going with RE1 Jill, her move set is going to be CQC type stuff and weapons, similar to Snake..but I'm making assumptions. Maybe they can pull from MvC2 a bit and give her summons or something, that might make her a little more unique. Otherwise the only other version of Jill worth putting in is the battlesuit version, something I personally don't like and do not feel is a proper representation of the character or the series. If that's the direction they go in as they gear up for an RE rep, I'd rather have Wesker doing the flip kicks and bullet time dodging.
They could also take some cues from MvC2 in how her moveset was handled (namely in throwing in a zombie summon for either her Side-B or Down-B).

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I mean, we got 4 different DQ heroes sharing one slot. No reason we couldn't have RE rep be Jill/Chris sharing a slot. Mii fighter's have different body sizes in the same slot. No reason Chris and Jill couldn't share the same moveset and just have different voices like Corrin.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know for Companion Theory what about the other highly requested Brown Haired Hero with his Red Hot female partner?

efd.jpg

I for one support Brown Haired Hero Red Hot Female Partner Theory

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I could envision a Dragon Quest-like outcome where the Resident Evil character simply serves as a vessel for a resource management move set based on RE1-3. Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire don't exactly have distinct mannerisms in those games, so they could easily work as alts or echoes of each other. The idea would be that you're playing as classic Resident Evil in Smash Bros., and the character itself doesn't really matter.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I could envision a Dragon Quest-like outcome where the Resident Evil character simply serves as a vessel for a resource management move set based on RE1-3. Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire don't exactly have distinct mannerisms in those games, so they could easily work as alts or echoes of each other. The idea would be that you're playing as classic Resident Evil in Smash Bros., and the character itself doesn't really matter.

It's certainly not out of the question, it would be really amazing to see.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see more antagonists in the game. If they choose to go with an RE rep, again, I believe Wesker has a better variety of moves you can choose from. I'm not saying that they can't do Jill, just that Wesker has more to pull from. I highly doubt they'll go with Battlesuit Jill as that's not her iconic look, and she might end up as another Snake character. If Smash needs more women on the roster, then perhaps DMC is another series to choose from Capcom for a female, move sets and variety.

If anyone from DMC got in, it would be Dante.

Maybe they could give Jill a headshot mechanic or something to make her more interesting. But she's got daggers, stun guns, rocket launcher, grenade launcher with various types of rounds, you could give her limited ammo in her weapons as a reference to limited resources in RE and encourage her to switch weapons often...it wouldn't be that difficult to implement her in an interesting way.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that Joker slammed the door open on realistic modern guns and knives. A character like Jill is not limited to just explosives and karate kicks.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone from DMC got in, it would be Dante.

Maybe they could give Jill a headshot mechanic or something to make her more interesting. But she's got daggers, stun guns, rocket launcher, grenade launcher with various types of rounds, you could give her limited ammo in her weapons as a reference to limited resources in RE and encourage her to switch weapons often...it wouldn't be that difficult to implement her in an interesting way.

That also sounds good, + the MvC2 summons and stuff. I still think they'd have to be creative to make her interesting but I don't doubt that they can do it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is Companion Theory, I'm not gonna watch a 12 minute video on it
Simply put because the past 3 characters have had sort of an entourage or partner that they come with (particularly in the banner so Joker with Morgana, Hero with Slime, and Banjo and Kazooie) the theory says that maybe the last two characters will also come with a similar duo or partner.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Ya know who is very famous in Japan, was created in a video game - or visual novel and would add female representation to Smash and fit the companionship theory

68-saber-png.158262

Oh yeah :D

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the final two DLC fighters are Amaterasu and her companion Issun, and the Prince of All Kosmos and his companion Katamari ball.

Clearly.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Waluigi is a fighter pack they need to embrace the meme and just go along with the joke. Waluigi Pinball stage, only music remixes related to Waluigi, spirits of all Waluigi appearances, Mii costumes like Foreman Spike and Waluigi's tennis outfit, etc.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking in 3rd party characters that are still not in Smash that could happen, anyone missing?

Ubisoft
Ezio Auditore
Rayman
Prince (Prince of Persia)
Sam Fisher

Microsoft
Master Chief
Steve

Activision / Blizzard
Sarah Kerrigan
Spyro
Crash
Arthas
Tracer

Capcom
Jill Valentine / Leon Kennedy / Chris Redfiel
Chun-Li
Dante
Hunter - Monster Hunter
Amaterasu

Square Enix
Lara Croft
Sora

Bethesda
Doomslayer
Dovahkiin

Rockstar
Max Payne

Electronic Arts
Commander Shepard

IO Interactive
Agent 47

Warner Bros
Scorpion

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa

Bandai Namco
Lloyd Irving

Level-5
Professor Layton

Spike Chunsoft
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom
Adol Christin (Ys series)

Grasshopper
Travis Touchdown

.n_n.

From Arc System Works, theres Kunio-Kun. Give him Rikki as a partner so the companion theroy is valid.

I can't be the only person that wants him in, can I?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

This would rule, although I'm not sure what you'd call the character... unless you just had like, Jill as the default, like Bowser Jr.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes! Bomberman and Dixie are the only two missing for me for this roster to be complete. I was so bummed to see him as an AT :(. Better than nothing I suppose.
For me, it's Spring Man, Rex, & Dixie Kong remaining absent (or stuck as other non-playable roles) that keep this roster from feeling truly complete for me.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If the companion to theory is real then it's Klonoa instead of a lame Tekken character or Lloyd as the second Namco rep. Klonoa is inseparable fron his buddy Huepow.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Companion theory is really dumb, but here's my submission:

Agumon with Tai appearing in the background (ala Pokémon Trainer) for Digivolution attacks.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Ya know who is very famous in Japan, was created in a video game - or visual novel and would add female representation to Smash and fit the companionship theory

68-saber-png.158262

Oh yeah :D

I am playing Fate/Stay Night for the first time in these days, I would love anyway a representative character of the visual novel genre - which is one of my favourite videogames genre.

Y'know for Companion Theory what about the other highly requested Brown Haired Hero with his Red Hot female partner?

efd.jpg

I for one support Brown Haired Hero Red Hot Female Partner Theory
Where can I sign for this??

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The answer is always yes. But I think you got most of the plausible picks here and then some. Research Tekken and generic characters (like MonHun which you got) if you want to patch the biggest holes I noticed.
Tekken and King of Fighters both series are still up there, should have add characters for each series to complete the list.

.n_n.

Sep 14, 2018
It's weird being so aimless in regards to the next Smash reveal. Even before Ultimate was ever confirmed, we knew Inkling was going to make it. Ridley was an obvious choice as well. After we knew Snake was back then Simon was easy, though some fake leakers still got credit for having guessed Ridley and Simon, but not Richter. A Pokemon fighter was also likely to happen, and the conversation started with Decidueye but everyone ended up agreeing on Incineroar before it happened. And of course we were all expecting Ken after the idea of echos was made an official part of the game.

As for DLC, we've had the codename Brave hinting at Erdrick/Dragon Quest for months. Now we don't know a thing.

Estelle Bright for Smash!

Status
Not open for further replies.