• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hey fellas, I've been out of the loop for a while so I want to ask a silly question. Do we have any indication of whatever character we could be getting next?
To quote what I said earlier...
There aren't really any rumored fighters now. If the Mii Costume Theory holds up, we can probably expect Capcom & Bandai Namco reps (maybe Tekken for Bamco). Otherwise, we're mostly in the dark.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Anyone have a transparent version of the Banjo render? Trying to make something.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a transparent version of the Banjo render? Trying to make something.

super_smash_bros_ultimate_banjo_kazooie_render_by_leadingdemon0_dd93xxk-pre.png

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I see him as having a good chance, but Dragon Quest finally being in the game is good for Geno in the future since it has eliminated his biggest competition from the S-E newcomer roster. I mean the biggest competition he has now is 2B (if they want a relevant, up and coming new IP) or Sora (if Sakurai/Nintendo is willing to license him from Disney).

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how any future character announcement could top Banjo's reveal.

Even if you don't have much history with the character - people will know that the significance of a Microsoft IP appearing in a Nintendo game.

This was not a typical reveal. I still believe it was the only one to exceed Snake/Sonic's reveal trailer (which I didn't think was even possible until yesterday).

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine Hero's gonna be releasing in July, and Banjo in early October. His exact release date and DLC4 will be announced in the September Direct. DLC4 will release in early December, and DLC5 (and possibly DLC4's release date) will be announced at TGA 2019, with a release of February 2020 for DLC5.
That way, they'll have a character every 2-3 months from here on out, till Feb 2020.

Means absolutely nothing, though. Even if they've talked about Smash, for all we know, Bethesda brought it up and Nintendo was like Nah, and it'd still be correct to say they talked about Smash.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure both Hero and Banjo will have New Content Approaching videos just as Joker did, and they'll reveal the release dates of their respective updates.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I imagine Hero's gonna be releasing in July, and Banjo in early October. His exact release date and DLC4 will be announced in the September Direct. DLC4 will release in early December, and DLC5 (and possibly DLC4's release date) will be announced at TGA 2019, with a release of February 2020 for DLC5.
That way, they'll have a character every 2-3 months from here on out, till Feb 2020.

Means absolutely nothing, though. Even if they've talked about Smash, for all we know, Bethesda brought it up and Nintendo was like Nah, and it'd still be correct to say they talked about Smash.
I think Banjo's release date gets announced in an August direct and he releases in September.

That would line the next DLC to release in early December (1 year anniversary) and the final one to be on track for February (albeit, late February)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda and Ubisoft are the two biggest Western companies I'd expect to get a character, now that Microsoft has opened the door. And I think Dovahkiin is the most likely option because... Skyrim is such a huge fucking game.

He's pretty high on my list honestly. Dovahkiin and Jill would probably be my personal preference for the final two.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda and Ubisoft are the two biggest Western companies I'd expect to get a character, now that Microsoft has opened the door. And I think Dovahkiin is the most likely option because... Skyrim is such a huge fucking game.

He's pretty high on my list honestly. Dovahkiin and Jill would probably be my personal preference for the final two.

I think Activision has a good shot, too. Maybe even more so than Bethesda.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a Resident Evil series character is next.

It was kinda bizarre how Resident Evil got its own segment in the Nintendo Direct that had to be done by a film crew. It's like they're trying to build the franchise up for Switch.

If you look at it too, now that Dragon Quest is in, that leaves Resident Evil as really the only big Japanese IP that isn't represented.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Activision has a good shot, too. Maybe even more so than Bethesda.

I think they're on the table for sure. We got DK and Bowser in Skylanders after all. But on Switch I feel like Bethesda has had more of a presence, with lots of same-day ports and stuff.

But hey, we got Ganondorf in Diablo just a few months ago. So I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Crash was coming.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think a Resident Evil series character is next.

It was kinda bizarre how Resident Evil got its own segment in the Nintendo Direct that had to be done by a film crew. It's like they're trying to build the franchise up for Switch.

If you look at it too, now that Dragon Quest is in, that leaves Resident Evil as really the only big Japanese IP that isn't represented.
Funny enough, ScorchedBacon brought up the same idea to me yesterday. It kinda reminds me of how Nintendo was hyping up Dragon Quest in the Direct before the E3 Direct.

It's a shame that the RE Engine seems to be off-limits for the Switch, as it'd be great to have RE7 on the Switch (natively).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think all the DLC was specifically chosen by Nintendo for business reasons to cross promote something on the Switch.

Joker = promoting Persona 5 Scramble on Switch, maybe also Nintendo trying to strengthen the IP's visibility on Switch so maybe later instalments come to future Switch systems.

DQ Hero = promoting DQXI S obviously.

Banjo-Kazooie = we'll have to wait but IMO you're going to see either N64 Classic w/Banjo games or Rare Replay for Switch announced for this fall to coincide with Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash.

Jill in Resident Evil (speculation) = I think it was odd that Nintendo went out of their way to give Resident Evil it's own segment in their E3 presser and one that required a full film crew and actors to shoot.

5th character I dunno, depends on what other 3rd party project Nintendo wants to promote I think.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017

I'd be quite happy with Bethesda and Ubisoft reps. Not sure if Rayman would ever be considered a strong candidate.

But Doom Guy/Dovahkiin are definitely good shouts. Feel the former is more likely to be chosen though. To possibly go with Doom '16 or Eternal this fall.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely doubt that we're getting an N64 Classic, Banjo or no Banjo, any time soon.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt Joker is being used to promote a spin off game coming out a year later.

Nintendo may also be trying to lay the ground work to landing future Persona games too. It's not a bad business move. I think Persona 5 has some kind of contract with Sony that they can't get out of but maybe the thinking is "well if we establish Joker on the Switch to Nintendo fans, that can set the stage for a Persona 6 maybe on a Switch system".

But I do think all 5 Smash DLC inclusions have a business/marketing element to them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo may also be trying to lay the ground work to landing future Persona games too. It's not a bad business move. I think Persona 5 has some kind of contract with Sony that they can't get out of but maybe the thinking is "well if we establish Joker on the Switch to Nintendo fans, that can set the stage for a Persona 6 maybe on a Switch system".

IIRC it was just a matter of Sakurai liking Persona 5 and asking for Joker.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I think all the DLC was specifically chosen by Nintendo for business reasons to cross promote something on the Switch.

Joker = promoting Persona 5 Scramble on Switch, maybe also Nintendo trying to strengthen the IP's visibility on Switch so maybe later instalments come to future Switch systems.

DQ Hero = promoting DQXI S obviously.

Banjo-Kazooie = we'll have to wait but IMO you're going to see either N64 Classic w/Banjo games or Rare Replay for Switch announced for this fall to coincide with Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash.

Jill in Resident Evil (speculation) = I think it was odd that Nintendo went out of their way to give Resident Evil it's own segment in their E3 presser and one that required a full film crew and actors to shoot.

5th character I dunno, depends on what other 3rd party project Nintendo wants to promote I think.
Nah, Joker definitely wasn't to promote a random Warriors game of all things.
These are just the characters they think will sell the most.

Persona 5 Scramble is on Switch cause it's a KT game and they port almost everything to the system

Status
Not open for further replies.