• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Thought this was fun to make: the roster so far...

tumblr_pt019uWpx11rud3xqo1_1280.png

tumblr_pt019uWpx11rud3xqo2_1280.png

tumblr_pt019uWpx11rud3xqo3_1280.png

Just on newcomers alone this is an incredible Smash game, but when you consider Everyone Is Here, it's mindblowing.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo kinda likes money, so my bet is that's still happening. NES Classic and SNES Classic were huge successes, and the trend for micro-consoles is not ending (see: Turbo Grafx 16 is freaking getting a micro-console).
They were successes, but also something of a stopgap in that weird time when the Wii U was flailing on life support and the Switch was still in development. A proper N64 Classic is also more complicated to get down to a similar price range and the games are more difficult to emulate than NES and SNES ROMs.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were successes, but also something of a stopgap in that weird time when the Wii U was flailing on life support and the Switch was still in development. A proper N64 Classic is also more complicated to get down to a similar price range and the games are more difficult to emulate than NES and SNES ROMs.

Plus does anyone want to use that three pronged monstrosity controller again?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
N64 controllers seem like they'd be costly for Nintendo to produce and include, especially since the device would need to support 4 of them. They'd either have to pack in 4 (no way) or sell them separately, which is a whole new product on the market.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The chip in the NES/SNES Classic is more powerful than the Wii processor, (or 3DS even I believe) which ran N64 games just fine. I think that same chip can run the N64 titles, in fact I suspect that's why they chose that chip in the first place. It's ridiculously over powered if their reasoning was to only run NES and SNES titles.

There's never a "we're making too much money now" thing either, that's not something Nintendo looks at I doubt.

N64 Classic was probably supposed to be out last year but the NES Classic/SNES Classic were still selling too well and Nintendo wanted to milk that, now they have.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Monster Hunter is next in my opinion. With Dragon Quest now included, MH is the biggest non-Nintendo Japanese franchise to not have a playable character in Smash. Seems probably especially since Rathalos is already in the game

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember Indie Gamer Chick?

4f353dd1-ebe5-46e6-b993-254cb4388694-jpeg.193652

I remember dismissing this as delusional wishful thinking, but then, of course, Banjo eventually happened as DLC.

As it turns out, she actually does seem to have real connections with Microsoft, Sabi/Polarpanda vouched for her awhile ago. This was posted on Smashboards awhile back.

e98debc0-14be-4e12-a3e3-4a826e3512d7-jpeg.219713

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I legitimately think trying to pack four N64 controllers is the biggest road bump to an N64 Classic, lol.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I think they just chose Fighter Pass characters based on what will generate interest/sales for Smash. Anything else is a happy convenience. Third party characters will get attention and interest so making them all third party works towards that goal.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I know we are all talking about newcomers, but wouldn't be cool to have new assist trophies? I personally wouldn't mind at all an extra additional paid DLC pack containing a bunch of assist characters, would give the chance to add more representation and variety to the games. Worked with Bomberman and Shovel Knight, why not? Throw some of the most requested characters in there that could not upset the biggest amount of people THAT MUCH (because people will be pissed no matter what, ie. Waluigi) and call it a day.

I personally would have no issue with Waddle Dee, Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, Shantae or Sans as assists there.

I don't know, Waluigi as the last and only first party DLC character really speaks to me tbh

*cries in Piranha Plant*

Last edited:

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I think they just chose Fighter Pass characters based on what will generate interest/sales for Smash. Anything else is a happy convenience. Third party characters will get attention and interest so making them all third party works towards that goal.
Let's hope so. I'm hoping for Minecraft Steve, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman and Master Chief.

Oh and Dixie Kong.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's why they'll make you buy 2-3 extra ones. That's not a "problem" for Nintendo, that's a problem for people's wallets who want one maybe.
Now try to convince people to buy three extra N64 retro console controllers. The success of these boxes hinges on their value and affordability.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
This old Sakurai quote is another reason I feel Resident Evil and Tekken are likely:
Final Fantasy is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. [...] Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren't that many left.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now try to convince people to buy three extra N64 retro console controllers. The success of these boxes hinges on their value and affordability.

Plenty of people will buy multiple ones, especially if they're offered in the different colors. That's not a downside to Nintendo, that's a boon to their business. There are plenty of people willing to spend a metric ass ton of money for nostalgia's sake.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Seeing all those classic N64 moves re-animated in glorious HD with fluid movement is just... oh it's so amazing

And when thinking of a moveset, it never occured to me to use Beak Bayonet as a forward tilt, but it's a great idea. His double jump being the flap is perfect. His jump animation is the same. His fast walk animation is the same. Talon Trot is his run. The crouch is the same. Kazooie even looks around.

They're so perfect omg

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd just take Rare Replay on Switch.

On RE while I don't want a character from that series I do hope it's Jill. We seriously need some female fighters and unless that "Echo wish" comes true that may be the only way we get one.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Seeing all those classic N64 moves re-animated in glorious HD with fluid movement is just... oh it's so amazing

And when thinking of a moveset, it never occured to me to use Beak Bayonet as a forward tilt, but it's a great idea. His double jump being the flap is perfect. His jump animation is the same. His fast walk animation is the same. Talon Trot is his run. The crouch is the same. Kazooie even looks around.

They're so perfect omg

I'm confused how the neutral special works... how do you transition from Kazooie being in the backpack to taking her out in the Breegull Blaster form? Guess we'll see.

This old Sakurai quote is another reason I feel Resident Evil and Tekken are likely:

Yeah, I thought of that quote too. We haven't truly had a series on that level since Final Fantasy; Bayonetta, Castlevania, Persona, Dragon Quest and Banjo are all popular their own ways, but not globally like FF or Street Fighter.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Thought this was fun to make: the roster so far...

tumblr_pt019uWpx11rud3xqo1_1280.png

tumblr_pt019uWpx11rud3xqo2_1280.png

tumblr_pt019uWpx11rud3xqo3_1280.png

Just on newcomers alone this is an incredible Smash game, but when you consider Everyone Is Here, it's mindblowing.

This really puts things into perspective when you think back to March last year when people were saying it was just going to be an enhanced port, lmao.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember Indie Gamer Chick?

4f353dd1-ebe5-46e6-b993-254cb4388694-jpeg.193652

I remember dismissing this as delusional wishful thinking, but then, of course, Banjo eventually happened as DLC.

As it turns out, she actually does seem to have real connections with Microsoft, Sabi/Polarpanda vouched for her awhile ago. This was posted on Smashboards awhile back.

e98debc0-14be-4e12-a3e3-4a826e3512d7-jpeg.219713

That this may have legitimacy is actual craziness because it reads like typical fanboy dreaming nonsense that's found everywhere in fakes. What a week it has been. lmao

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
So if we're going by the theory that they're just reusing assets for CG DLC trailers, maybe they could use the Boxing Ring from Incineroar's trailer for Heihachi's reveal.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The chip in the NES/SNES Classic is more powerful than the Wii processor, (or 3DS even I believe) which ran N64 games just fine. I think that same chip can run the N64 titles, in fact I suspect that's why they chose that chip in the first place. It's ridiculously over powered if their reasoning was to only run NES and SNES titles.
This is significantly more messy than you seem to think it is. They probably just chose the highest performing chip that fit the budget.
I know we are all talking about newcomers, but wouldn't be cool to have new assist trophies? I personally wouldn't mind at all an extra additional paid DLC pack containing a bunch of assist characters, would give the chance to add more representation and variety to the games. Worked with Bomberman and Shovel Knight, why not? Throw some of the most requested characters in there that could not upset the biggest amount of people THAT MUCH (because people will be pissed no matter what, ie. Waluigi) and call it a day.

I personally would have no issue with Waddle Dee, Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, Shantae or Sans as assists there.
The basic problem is that the game has an online mode and at that point things get weird. They already kinda do with stages, but with ATs they would get weirder.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is significantly more messy than you seem to think it is. They probably just chose the highest performing chip that fit the budget.

The basic problem is that the game has an online mode and at that point things get weird. They already kinda do with stages, but with ATs they would get weirder.

Nintendo is notoriously cheap, to the point where they cut components/outputs just to save a few pennies per unit.

It seems odd to me that they'd choose such a processor with that much performance overhead (way in advance of what's needed for NES/SNES games) if they weren't factoring in N64 Classic down the line.

Besides when has Nintendo ever had a huge success and they've not really milked a good deal of money out of it.

N64 Classic could very easily move 3-4 million units this holiday season + added controller sales. It's a no brainer and likely was greenlit over a year ago anyway, they just wanted to milk the NES Classic and SNES Classic for a year longer because they underestimated demand for it.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing the reveal trailer and actually being bummed. I wanted a super port (Wii U + DLC + 3DS Stages + a few extras) because it'd keep everyone currently in the game and there would probably have been cuts between games otherwise

which is just some *chef kiss* wonderful irony on my part

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Travis Touchdown and Ray 01 from Custom Robo. Believe!
Deep cuts. I honestly feel Ultimate is representing all of the obvious candidates to a degree I don't really know what other non nintendo franchises need it now. Like from now on we can just go to ridiculous stuff like Solaire, Masterchief, etc nothing obvious that feels like a fit comes to my mind.
Personally it kind of feels like I would love to round it out with an Arms rep and a new Pokemon Shield/Sword rep.

Another thing is how are they ever going to top this title like my hype is going to be pretty damn low whenever the new smash gets announced knowing the roster will be considerably smaller.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe in Elma and KOS-MOS until the end and no amount of screaming about Heihachi will change that.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tekken is literally the only major franchise left that I would be truly disappointed to see revealed, just cause I know they'd do Heihachi or Jin and not literally any other much cooler character from the franchise. Squandered potential.
This is the big reason for me.

I'm not a Tekken fan but I wouldn't mind it getting in if it was a character I thought was cool like Yoshimitsu or King.

But it would be Heihachi or Jin and we all know it.

And that's pretty lame to me.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah they didn't reveal any more Mii costumes huh

I wonder if they will do some kind of mini video where they discuss Hero's moveset and also detail som Mii costume DLC

My hope is Travis Touchdown and a Zelda character.

But I'd switch the Zelda rep for an RE character if I had too.

Just no Tekken please.

I don't think it will happen, but I would love to see another Zelda character. If it did happen, it would probably be someone from BOTW2, maybe a character from BOTW who returns in the sequel.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe in Elma and KOS-MOS until the end and no amount of screaming about Heihachi will change that.

Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here.

heihachi-mishima-tekken-7-34.3.jpg

Or should I say, I am.

can someone photoshop the above image to make him purple and wielding the infinity gauntlet lol

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I'd just take Rare Replay on Switch.

On RE while I don't want a character from that series I do hope it's Jill. We seriously need some female fighters and unless that "Echo wish" comes true that may be the only way we get one.
They'll do the same as DQ an show us Leon/Chris with no sign of Jill/Clair.

But seriously, if the echoes are happening, we'll probably know long before that could happen (betting on the Hero presentation, if no word at that point it's over).

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's just now starting to sink in for me. What kind of spirits are Banjo gonna have? What kind of Mii costumes? I'm so excited.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Deep cuts. I honestly feel Ultimate is representing all of the obvious candidates to a degree I don't really know what other non nintendo franchises need it now. Like from now on we can just go to ridiculous stuff like Solaire, Masterchief, etc nothing obvious that feels like a fit comes to my mind.
Personally it kind of feels like I would love to round it out with an Arms rep and a new Pokemon Shield/Sword rep.
I know people want famous gaming characters like steve, master chief, doomguy, heihachi and whatever, but I always said that I wanted more obscure Nintendo franchises. I've said this many times but Splatoon is the only new nintendo franchise to get a rep in this game and I find that super disappointing. I guess Banjo can somewhat count in that but he's a special case.

There are still a bunch of possible franchises that need more or unique reps and franchises that don't have any rep at all: Isaac from Golden Sun got relegated to assist trophy again, Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight is another assist. Ray Mk III from Custom Robo and Saki from Sin and Punishment were assists before and were just cut to become costumes for mii fighters now which is incredibly irritating. Chibi Robo also is only a costume along with Lip too. Mach Rider is completely absent aside from being a spirit. There's a bunch that they could have picked.

Elma and Kos-Mos for the final two dlc choices would be something I would welcome as well as somebody mentioned above.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's just now starting to sink in for me. What kind of spirits are Banjo gonna have? What kind of Mii costumes? I'm so excited.

As I said in the other thread, I'm wondering if Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini being in the game's spirit files weren't actually mistakes after all, especially since we know they've been working on Banjo since the end of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.