• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Alright let's have some speculation fun!

After these 5 DLC characters, the CSS will still not be a complete rectangle (leaving 3 spaces from a final perfect row)

People have pointed out that when it's "echoes stacked" it'll be a perfect rectangle, so how do we solve this?

3 MORE ECHO FIGHTERS!

So Era, what are your 3 Echo fighters?

I'll start:

1. Midna (Twili) / Zelda
2. Medusa / Palutena
3. Octoling / Inkling
This can be solved easily by giving each Hero his own square in the CSS ;)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Ultimate's base unique roster lineup is evenly divided between legacy fan favorites (Ridley, K. Rool, Simon) and modern major Nintendo characters (Inkling, Isabelle, Incineroar).

The latter group all start with "I", oddly enough

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one here who actually wants Heihachi, independent from all these rumors and theories? I've been hoping to see him since the last game. I love close range powerhouses in fighting games, and I'm excited by the prospect of powerbombing Nintendo icons as an old man.

I'm not against him but he's just so standard a choice.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh.....

I feel like Medusa would work better as a semi-clone. She definitely needs more than just a few animation changes, for example she doesn't even have a shield like Palutena. She'd need some claw based attacks.

Also Palutena's specials thematically don't make sense for Medusa. Palu using Pit's powers from Uprising works because she personally designed them herself (Pit even shouts "Lady Palutena!" when activating one of them) so it makes sense she has access to them. Medusa on the other hand has nothing to do with those powers.
[/QUOTE
She and Palutena use to rule Angel Land together.

Presumably their magic would be similar enough that it could work.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I know people aren't being serious, but Sakurai isn't going to ignore a character just because they were in an obscure Smash ripoff seven years ago. The decision to put Snake in Smash was made less than two years after the release of DreamMix TV World Fighters.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh.....

I feel like Medusa would work better as a semi-clone. She definitely needs more than just a few animation changes, for example she doesn't even have a shield like Palutena. She'd need some claw based attacks.

Also Palutena's specials thematically don't make sense for Medusa. Palu using Pit's powers from Uprising works because she personally designed them herself (Pit even shouts "Lady Palutena!" when activating one of them) so it makes sense she has access to them. Medusa on the other hand has nothing to do with those powers.
Viridi can use the same exact powers, I assume any god/goddess could use them, much less your old coworker
Just make them "dark" visual variants. You could probably make autoretical "eye beams" or something, even.

Also we're in a game where Daisy can float so I really don't think it'd be an issue for Medusa to throw out a barrier

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just think Resident Evil and Tekken are really unsurprising picks, and talking about them for months on end seems really dull. They're going to dominate discussion because they're the biggest Japanese created IPs not yet in Smash. And filling the roster in that way when smaller series have already gotten representation seems really boring.

They're just here because they're the biggest. Not because they make for the coolest roster additions.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know people aren't being serious, but Sakurai isn't going to ignore a character just because they were in an obscure Smash ripoff seven years ago. The decision to put Snake in Smash was made less than two years after the release of DreamMix TV World Fighters.
What the actual shit is this

220px-DreamMix_TV_World_Fighters_Coverart.png

Wait a second, is that Optimus Prime?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with Tekken on the basis that I'm in favor of more fightgame reps in general, though I'm less enthused about Resident Evil

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright let's have some speculation fun!

After these 5 DLC characters, the CSS will still not be a complete rectangle (leaving 3 spaces from a final perfect row)

People have pointed out that when it's "echoes stacked" it'll be a perfect rectangle, so how do we solve this?

3 MORE ECHO FIGHTERS!

So Era, what are your 3 Echo fighters?

I'll start:

1. Midna (Twili) / Zelda
2. Medusa / Palutena
3. Octoling / Inkling
Medusa/Palutena
Octoling/Inkling
Kasumi/Joker

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just think Resident Evil and Tekken are really unsurprising picks, and talking about them for months on end seems really dull. They're going to dominate discussion because they're the biggest Japanese created IPs not yet in Smash. And filling the roster in that way when smaller series have already gotten representation seems really boring.

They're just here because they're the biggest. Not because they make for the coolest roster additions.

Personally, I'd love to see how Sakurai would integrate Resident Evil into Smash. There's just not going to be a wide range of discussion with only two slots left and other companies accounted for.

I'd be surprised if we get characters from franchises that aren't: Tekken, Resident Evil, Tales, Crash Bandicoot, Ninja Gaiden, Monster Hunter, and uh... maybe Ace Attorney if they're still listening to fan demand?

If Bomberman wasn't an Assist Trophy, I'd be caping for him hardcore. Sad.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Probably cheaper to buy the same chip in bulk and it fits their needs ... powerful enough to run anything up until N64 at least likely.

Truth is N64 Classic was probably greenlit ages ago, the moment NES Classic started selling out everywhere is when Nintendo probably said "OK that's a go for SNES and N64 Classic". It's a business at the end of the day.
Look at what you are writing. They bought the chips in bulk and got them cheaper than if they bought less of them, sure, that's a safe bet. So how many did they buy? If just enough for NES mini's first run - they could get cheaper chips in bulk as well, unless they got better discount on the more expensive ones, but that would have nothing to do with N64. If they bought enough of them to cover SNES and N64 as well? This is suspiciously risky, since as you theorize yourself N64 mini wasn't greenlit before NES Classic started selling out. Wait, this actually gets better - there's one circumstance where I can easily see them buying a load of chips for potentially cancelled products like that: they got them on a discount, and then pre-planned SNES and N64 mini. But guess what: with NES and SNES Classic selling out, they could abandon software development of N64 mini and sell the rest of chips with the already coded products.

All in all, this preplanning thing could happen, but is it really worth it to claim it probably did, instead of NERD deciding that they're done with cost cuts at some point?

Tekken brought Heihachi to Playstation All Star Battle Royale. It can sit in the corner and think about what it did wrong.
Did not beat Squeenix and Activision into submission?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I guarantee the general reactions wouldn't be like this if either got revealed, eapecially RE.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It's just now starting to sink in for me. What kind of spirits are Banjo gonna have? What kind of Mii costumes? I'm so excited.

I fully expect stuff from Rare minus active IP. So nothing from Killer Instinct or Battletoads. Probably nothing from Kameo or Viva Piñata.

So that leaves RC Pro AM, Jetpac, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, and Jet Force.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at what you are writing. They bought the chips in bulk and got them cheaper than if they bought less of them, sure, that's a safe bet. So how many did they buy? If just enough for NES mini's first run - they could get cheaper chips in bulk as well, unless they got better discount on the more expensive ones, but that would have nothing to do with N64. If they bought enough of them to cover SNES and N64 as well? This is suspiciously risky, since as you theorize yourself N64 mini wasn't greenlit before NES Classic started selling out. Wait, this actually gets better - there's one circumstance where I can easily see them buying a load of chips for potentially cancelled products like that: they got them on a discount, and then pre-planned SNES and N64 mini. But guess what: with NES and SNES Classic selling out, they could abandon software development of N64 mini and sell the rest of chips with the already coded products.

All in all, this preplanning thing could happen, but is it really worth it to claim it probably did, instead of NERD deciding that they're done with cost cuts at some point?

Did not beat Squeenix and Activision into submission?

They don't buy the chips beforehand, they likely negotiate a price, like "OK what if we say we could use this chip also in a SNES Classic and N64 Classic, will you give us a cheaper price", then the supplier takes that into account, that getting this production order could be something that pays off for them for several years instead of just a one off thing so they give Nintendo a better guaranteed price on that basis.

Anyways we'll find out soon enough, but I think a N64 Classic is a no brainer. Likely the chip they already have can handle N64 games just fine, it's more powerful than the Wii ever was. Making NERD do some work isn't some negative downside ... you're paying them to do (well) work, so work on something that'll actually make you money.

A N64 Classic will make Nintendo a good deal of money. This fall would be a good time for release too since the 3DS is really nosediving in sales/revenue, N64 Classic can pick up that slack.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I played TV World Fighters with my bro back in the day, I think he ripped it onto a disc.

I wanted to play it because I was really crazy about Transformers and I saw it had Optimus Prime AND Megatron in it. It's not a very good game at all, but the roster is all kinds of nuts.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect stuff from Rare minus active IP. So nothing from Killer Instinct or Battletoads. Probably nothing from Kameo or Viva Piñata.

So that leaves RC Pro AM, Jetpac, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, and Jet Force.

Gonna be so good seeing Perfect Dark content back in Smash. They should bring the cloaking device back.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

I'd be pleasantly surprised by a RE character. Jill would be amazing with a zombie in her moveset similar to MvC2 along with giant rocket launchers. Not to mention the female representation. She's probably our best shot.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope Phoenix gets an animated bit like Joker had, though I'm not holding my breath

we had quite more of those in Smash 4 - Little Mac, Palutena, Robin - but budget concerns for Fighters Pass trailers makes me think it's not gonna happen

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'd love to see how Sakurai would integrate Resident Evil into Smash. There's just not going to be a wide range of discussion with only two slots left and other companies accounted for.

I'd be surprised if we get characters from franchises that aren't: Tekken, Resident Evil, Tales, Crash Bandicoot, Ninja Gaiden, Monster Hunter, and uh... maybe Ace Attorney if they're still listening to fan demand?

If Bomberman wasn't an Assist Trophy, I'd be caping for him hardcore. Sad.

I used to not be as down for RE, but seeing as firearms might be possible, I could see that working out a lot better. It's not my particular pick, but I've got nothing against the series and I'm sure Sakurai could do it well.

(I know I'm the Ninja Gaiden guy around these parts, and I definitely do want Hayabusa, and I do think Koei Tecmo deserves a rep, but I should note that I've landed on him after already getting so many characters I wanted. And I'm not really expecting him any time soon. I just think it'd be fun to talk about the series more often because I really enjoy most of the games. And I enjoy the Dead or Alive games too, for the most part, lol.)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Would you consider Banjo & Kazooie getting into Smash the video game equivalent of Spiderman joining the MCU?

I remember all the wholesome fanart that came out of that

Poor_20Spidey_2002_20Mauricio_20Abril_original.jpg

(the disney and sony executives shaking hands in the background is a nice touch)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would you consider Banjo & Kazooie getting into Smash the video game equivalent of Spiderman joining the MCU?

I remember all the wholesome fanart that came out of that

Poor_20Spidey_2002_20Mauricio_20Abril_original.jpg

(the disney and sony executives shaking hands in the background is a nice touch)

(That's actually a pretty apt comparison, lol.)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not hot on either Resident Evil (though at least we'd hopefully get Jill front lining it) or Tekken but I understand why it would be them and I guess I'll just submit that they're the last ones. I think the final one will be a bigger deal but I can see it still being Heihachi or whatever.

At this point I want a Pass 2 or continued DLC support. Nintendo characters with the Smash 4 style of release specifically

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used to not be as down for RE, but seeing as firearms might be possible, I could see that working out a lot better. It's not my particular pick, but I've got nothing against the series and I'm sure Sakurai could do it well.

(I know I'm the Ninja Gaiden guy around these parts, and I definitely do want Hayabusa, and I do think Koei Tecmo deserves a rep, but I should note that I've landed on him after already getting so many characters I wanted. And I'm not really expecting him any time soon. I just think it'd be fun to talk about the series more often because I really enjoy most of the games. And I enjoy the Dead or Alive games too, for the most part, lol.)
I mean, firearms are no longer a "might" thing after Joker. You can say it's a toy gun, but it's basically indistinguishable from the real thing in Smash.

It makes me kinda annoyed Snake still doesn't have his tranq pistol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say that Banjo getting into Smash is like Spider-Man getting into the MCU because Marvel actually owns Spider-Man.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've used the MCU Spider-Man comparison before although it'd be kinda more like if Microsoft bought Mario, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.