• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say that Banjo getting into Smash is like Spider-Man getting into the MCU because Marvel actually owns Spider-Man.

Well, yeah, it's definitely not a perfect comparison.

Would be nice if they rereleased the old Banjo games on Switch, though. It's clear that's where the audience is.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough love for Medusa here we need more female characters and villains and she covers both plus we can't have Nintnedo's first female main antagonist since she's a giant brain so might as well go with the second. Though I suppose Kos-mos coming with a T-elos echo could also cover a female villain spot.
I still unironically want MB, darn it!

Jun 11, 2019
Am I the only one here who actually wants Heihachi, independent from all these rumors and theories? I've been hoping to see him since the last game. I love close range powerhouses in fighting games, and I'm excited by the prospect of powerbombing Nintendo icons as an old man.
He'd probably be really cool even if I think I'd prefer Jin

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
im worried about adding kazuya or heihachi because what if we need to do a frame perfect electric wind god fist on a gamecube controller (>_<)

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mother Brain is way too big in her chicken mech form.

I feel something like this would be the best solution. It wouldn't even be the first time a Metroid character got modified to actually work as a Smash fighter; see Zero Suit Samus' whip and jet boots.

smash__mother_brain_by_professorfandango_d8qfom1-fullview.jpg

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to accept "too big" for Mother Brain after Ridley. She doesn't even have any of the anatomical hurdles Ridley had.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Am I the only one here who actually wants Heihachi, independent from all these rumors and theories? I've been hoping to see him since the last game. I love close range powerhouses in fighting games, and I'm excited by the prospect of powerbombing Nintendo icons as an old man.
If he gets in, I'd be curious to see who the new VA will be.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Alright let's have some speculation fun!

After these 5 DLC characters, the CSS will still not be a complete rectangle (leaving 3 spaces from a final perfect row)

People have pointed out that when it's "echoes stacked" it'll be a perfect rectangle, so how do we solve this?

3 MORE ECHO FIGHTERS!

So Era, what are your 3 Echo fighters?

I'll start:

1. Midna (Twili) / Zelda
2. Medusa / Palutena
3. Octoling / Inkling
Realistic Picks:
16ε - Impa
54ε - Medusa
64ε - Octoling

Wanted Picks:
14ε - Midbus
38ε - Blaze
57Ɛ - Malos

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I found out that the DQXI stage is localized as Yggdrasil's Altar in the English translation of the game, so that's probably what it'll be called in Smash.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This song is too iconic and awesome! Of course I want it in Smash!

Even its official remix is badass!

And it even got another official remix that is also badass!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why? Is it her head?
Yeah. Kinda defeats the purpose of Mother Brain when her brain is normal size. You could change the proportions, but I honestly think the character would look better just going for the giant brain in a jar look as the default with the mech as a final smash.

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Kinda defeats the purpose of Mother Brain when her brain is normal size.
That's fair. I would accept a smaller body like a spider or octopus mech. I still want her monstrous maw from Super though. She can drool acid and spew poison. Her drool can be a very subtle damaging idle animation.

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I found out that the DQXI stage is localized as Yggdrasil's Altar in the English translation of the game, so that's probably what it'll be called in Smash.
I care, thanks for looking into it. That's a pretty good location for a XI-themed stage.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is Banjo the first character to be included in a fighting game because of Twitter?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
of course, SmashWiki still doesn't even have a page on the stage

they could've just went with "Altar of the Sky" if they didn't know the English name, since that's confirmed in Japanese materials

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
of course, SmashWiki still doesn't even have a page on the stage

they could've just went with "Altar of the Sky" if they didn't know the English name, since that's confirmed in Japanese materials

The trailer barely showed it while giving us a lot of Spiral Mountain footage. I thought that was weird.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I just think Resident Evil and Tekken are really unsurprising picks, and talking about them for months on end seems really dull. They're going to dominate discussion because they're the biggest Japanese created IPs not yet in Smash. And filling the roster in that way when smaller series have already gotten representation seems really boring.

They're just here because they're the biggest. Not because they make for the coolest roster additions.

Agreed.

Here's something I always think of, when I think of what characters are "iconic."

I go to the movies a lot, and so I saw the trailer for Ready Player One a bunch of times. Now, in the trailer, there is a very quick shot of Tracer. And, because nerds just love Recognizing Things That They Know (see: Ready Player One*), without fail every time that shot was displayed at least one person in the audience would say "Tracer!" completely uncompelled.

I think about that a lot.

If the same trailer had a quick shot of Heihachi instead, do you think there would always be a guy in the audience who said "Heihachi"? I really don't. I think there's a difference between being from a popular game and being an iconic character in the larger culture.

We already have the archetypical fighting game characters in Smash, and that's Ken and Ryu. Those are the characters that are in the pop culture, even if recent installments of Tekken technically sell better than recent installments of Street Fighter. When the producers ofWreck-It Ralph wanted some fighting game characters, they went to Street Fighter, not Tekken, because that's sort of the archetypical fighting game that's in the culture. We all know who Heihachi is, but Smash casts a very wide net and I think some of the people in this thread would be surprised at how many Smash players might not be familiar with him. I think to a lot of people Heihachi would read as Some Fighting Game Guy whereas Ken and Ryu read as Ken and Ryu.

That's not to say that Sakurai never includes characters that aren't pop culture icons; of course he does. But I think when he does he's looking for characters that are interesting, like Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch, and honestly the thought of playing as Heihachi in Smash doesn't pique my interest at all. I don't think he would be particularly interesting from a gameplay perspective and I don't think he would be interesting from an aesthetic perspective.

I think we're only talking about Heihachi because he's from a big Japanese game series and so he's sort of an obvious target. But I don't think Nintendo and Sakurai think that way. It sort of shows a lack of imagination, I think.

I don't at all think Nintendo views Smash as any sort of fighting game crossover, where they want to get characters from Tekken and Virtua Fighter and KoF and SamSho and Soul Calibur. I don't think that's their intention at all.

*) Or better yet, don't. Heyo!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Agreed.

Here's something I always think of, when I think of what characters are "iconic."

I go to the movies a lot, and so I saw the trailer for Ready Player One a bunch of times. Now, in the trailer, there is a very quick shot of Tracer. And, because nerds just love Recognizing Things That They Know (see: Ready Player One*), without fail every time that shot was displayed at least one person in the audience would say "Tracer!" completely uncompelled.

I think about that a lot.

If the same trailer had a quick shot of Heihachi instead, do you think there would always be a guy in the audience who said "Heihachi"? I really don't. I think there's a difference between being from a popular game and being an iconic character in the larger culture.

We already have the archetypical fighting game characters in Smash, and that's Ken and Ryu. Those are the characters that are in the pop culture, even if recent installments of Tekken technically sell better than recent installments of Street Fighter. When the producers ofWreck-It Ralph wanted some fighting game characters, they went to Street Fighter, not Tekken, because that's sort of the archetypical fighting game that's in the culture. We all know who Heihachi is, but Smash casts a very wide net and I think some of the people in this thread would be surprised at how many Smash players might not be familiar with him. I think to a lot of people Heihachi would read as Some Fighting Game Guy whereas Ken and Ryu read as Ken and Ryu.

That's not to say that Sakurai never includes characters that aren't pop culture icons; of course he does. But I think when he does he's looking for characters that are interesting, like Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch, and honestly the thought of playing as Heihachi in Smash doesn't pique my interest at all. I don't think he would be particularly interesting from a gameplay perspective and I don't think he would be interesting from an aesthetic perspective.

I think we're only talking about Heihachi because he's from a big Japanese game series and so he's sort of an obvious target. But I don't think Nintendo and Sakurai think that way. It sort of shows a lack of imagination, I think.

I don't at all think Nintendo views Smash as any sort of fighting game crossover, where they want to get characters from Tekken and Virtua Fighter and KoF and SamSho and Soul Calibur. I don't think that's their intention at all.

*) Or better yet, don't. Heyo!

You say Sakurai doesn't think that way yet we know he considered adding Heihachi to Smash 4.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I edited it into my previous post, but she could drool acid for a subtle damaging idle animation. Maybe it could happen while she's grabbed too!
I'd love that. Kinda like how Link's idle animation blocks projectiles.

I see Mother Brain as a very projectile focused character, being able to throw up turrets, rinka rings, acid pools, mouth bombs, those weird wave lasers she shoots from her arms, etc. Fighting her would be a nightmare of just getting in.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You say Sakurai doesn't think that way yet we know he considered adding Heihachi to Smash 4.

Think it might still be too hard to implement Heihachi's moveset into Smash?

sourcegaming.wordpress.com

“My First Conception is My Landmark,” Sakurai’s Famitsu column vol. 456

Note: Do not repost the full translation. Please use the first two paragraphs and link to this translation. For additional information, please read this post. Today’s article was translated b…

Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?

Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from "Tekken."

Interviewer: Heihachi!

Sakurai: That's right. However, implementing Heihachi's movement in Smash would be difficult…

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Note: Do not repost the full translation. Please use the first two paragraphs and link to this translation. For additional information, please read this post. Today’s article was translated b…

Well, he said it was "difficult". Not impossible.

Ol' Ridley seemed worser off in that regard.

Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?
Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Difficult is better than what he said about Ridley, so sure, he could make a Tekken moveset work in Smash.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Now that we are in a post Banjo world, we are just left with discussion about Heihachi. Maybe we would have appreciated the journey more if we knew the destination was so boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.