• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
By the way, can someone tell me why the narrative has changed from "since Nintendo is picking the characters we're obviously getting Steve, why would they care about Banjo?" to "Nintendo clearly picked Banjo, not Sakurai."

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, can someone tell me why the narrative has changed from "since Nintendo is picking the characters we're obviously getting Steve, why would they care about Banjo?" to "Nintendo clearly picked Banjo, not Sakurai."

Same reason why the narrative went "Because Nintendo is picking these characters, it's going to be safe Nintendo characters only" to "Because Nintendo is picking these characters, it's going to be big third party characters only" after Joker was revealed. Some people be crazy.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So far we haven't seen anything that undermines my theory of "We're getting new characters from companies Nintendo has long standing business relationships with", lol.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Kirkhope talks a bit about what they wanted in the song he made. Goes a bit in Sakurai's taste for how Smash music should be structured and how Spiral Mountain sounds slightly different than other Smash songs (I noticed it did sound a little different than a normal Smash song)

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
After much consideration I think tetronimo is probably the most suited to be included from a franchise standpoint.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale should only be represented by an AT at best.

I know we all want Bad Time Sans but that's never going to happen because it's a sheer rejection of everything the game tries to tell you.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Goalposts are liquid.

This particular goalpost shift seems to be coming from Phil Spencer and Grant Kirkhope being very open about the whole process and highlighting Nintendo as the key drivers of the conversations.

The fact that people are so geared towards painting Sakurai as being held captive that we've somehow already normalized Banjo as "obvious" is fucking crazy though. And I say this as someone who was getting very similar vibes to Ryce regarding Nintendo and Microsoft's increasing partnership.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Undertale should only be represented by an AT at best.

I know we all want Bad Time Sans but that's never going to happen because it's a sheer rejection of everything the game tries to tell you.
An AT doesn't give me an Undertale stage with 15+ Undertale music tracks, sorry.

Also I wouldn't want Sans to be the character chosen anyway. Sakurai could have fun with gimmick character like Frisk.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Akm7C7.gif
Dante vs. Bayo would be so hype. Kamiya's children!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished looking over some western and Japanese DLC fan polls. The three highest ranked 3rd parties now seem to be Sora, Crash Bandicoot, and Steve. I think Crash has at least a decent shot.

Capcom fan demand seems to be higher for Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and Dante. I'm less certain about the RE rep, unless they go along with it like DQ where it is still picked despite other characters in higher demand. (Though you could argue S-E counterpicks to DQ were "unrealizable" unlike Capcom counterpicks)

I didn't notice Doomguy, Master Chief, Rayman, and Shantae on the Japanese polls. At least they voted for Undertale?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An AT doesn't give me an Undertale stage with 15+ Undertale music tracks, sorry.

Also I wouldn't want Sans to be the character chosen anyway. Sakurai could have fun with gimmick character like Frisk.

I think your best bet is hoping for Deltarune crossovers. That game is less explicitly pacifistic.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
If Doom Slayer was in Smash I feel like a Bethesda rep wouldn't have such loose lips. When has a company ever "teased" their character being in like that?
Indeed.
I like to think they're trying to accumulate buzz for a season two where they can get their guy in, I say this simply because I will always want more characters

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
This particular goalpost shift seems to be coming from Phil Spencer and Grant Kirkhope being very open about the whole process and highlighting Nintendo as the key drivers of the conversations.

The fact that people are so geared towards painting Sakurai as being held captive that we've somehow already normalized Banjo as "obvious" is fucking crazy though. And I say this as someone who was getting very similar vibes to Ryce regarding Nintendo and Microsoft's increasing partnership.
This is emblematic of Smash discussion. It's the "Whose Line" of speculation. If I didn't love so many of the posters in this community I'd probably bounce, because the actual discussion is regards to Smash is nonsense.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Doom Slayer was in Smash I feel like a Bethesda rep wouldn't have such loose lips. When has a company ever "teased" their character being in like that?

I'd say the same thing but we've also had Grant Kirkhope outright lie to us about Banjo-Kazooie in Smash and his involvement.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Crash would be worth it for N64 vs. PS1-themed Squad Strikes:

Mario, Link, Banjo-Kazooie

Vs.

Crash, Cloud, Snake

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is emblematic of Smash discussion. It's the "Whose Line" of speculation. If I didn't love so many of the posters in this community I'd probably bounce, because the actual discussion is regards to Smash is nonsense.

Smash Discussion: The points don't matter!

The Hundred-Dollar Bills sure do though! :P

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Dante vs. Bayo would be so hype. Kamiya's children!
Alternatively, we could let another child of Kamiya (with a stronger Nintendo connection) have fun in Smash:
AnyBelatedEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

I think your best bet is hoping for Deltarune crossovers. That game is less explicitly pacifistic.
Sure, make the character the whole Deltrarune party in one or something; I don't care as long as get MY MUSIC GODDAMMIT.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, we could let another child of Kamiya (with a stronger Nintendo connection) have fun in Smash:
AnyBelatedEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

Sure, make the character the whole Deltrarune party in one or something; I don't care as long as get MY MUSIC GODDAMMIT.

Ammy was in MvC. She's a female fighing game character.

Ammy for Smash.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Anyone else glad we're past theories and back to good old fashioned speculation and wishes?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished looking over some western and Japanese DLC fan polls. The three highest ranked 3rd parties now seem to be Sora, Crash Bandicoot, and Steve. I think Crash has at least a decent shot.

I honestly think that any of those have decent shots.

Each crossover is presented as "Super Smash Bros. x [Game Series Title]" not "Super Smash Bros. x [Publisher]." I don't think there's a rule against the same publisher getting two characters if they're desirable enough, even if we assume Sora "counts" as a Square Enix character and not a Disney character. And Nintendo was clearly presenting B-K as a classic Nintendo character that was finally coming home, not as a guest character that "represents" their competitor.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Smash has done a really good job building up to actual console wars fantasy battles. lol

Depending on who we get, we very well may get the N64 vs. PS1 mascots brawl.

Smash Ultimate is already a far better PSASBR than PSASBR could ever dream to be.

Just need Crash to burn down the grave. And Sora to exorcise the spirit.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
xbkpwsJ.png

Looks like Hero is going to start with 100 MP so I have a feeling that there is a way that we could regain those mp during the battles since there is no way that we would only able to use like 5-6 spells within a stock.

Either it's a sign that Hero could regain the MP during battle or there is a spell that only costs 7 MP.

faZmXl7.png

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
xbkpwsJ.png

Looks like Hero is going to start with 100 MP so I have a feeling that there is a way that we could regain those mp during the battles since there is no way that we would only able to use like 5-6 spells within a stock.

Either it's a sign that Hero could regain the MP during battle or there is a spell that only costs 7 MP.

faZmXl7.png

Where are these pics from?

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisk should have a pacifist gimmick. Reversing percent instead of dealing damage. Hug at -100% to spare your opponent!

Status
Not open for further replies.