• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
If the most snubbed character wasn't Dixie it would be someone else. The shadow over her speculation is based on reading into intentions that we can't possibly know.
The difference with Dixie is that we know for a fact that she almost made it but lost out once. She's the standout amongst the Forbidden 7 from Brawl as the only one we got a comment from Sakurai on, and that comment was just about leaving her out. Since then, as far as we know she's never been revisited as a character beyond the one time she was almost Diddy's partner.

It's not reading into intentions, it's going off the only direct evidence we have of how she's perceived by Sakurai, and it's not really that great for her.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, Pokeyman is a thing.
As long as Rex has fans like Ridley, K. Rool & Banjo he'll be fine. Hell, we are going to continue the Isaac & Geno dance too. Chrom also got in despite Fates, Echoes & Heroes being a thing. If Rex remains popular, he could get in.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I still think the next Smash Bros is going to be very western third party heavy
western, probably first indie rep in particular, and double dipping more on existing third party franchises. Chun Li (well, triple dip but you know what I mean), Tails, Alucard, Rodin etc etc. There's plenty of options.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
As long as Rex has fans like Ridley, K. Rool & Banjo he'll be fine. Hell, we are going to continue the Isaac & Geno dance too. Chrom also got in despite Fates, Echoes & Heroes being a thing. If Rex remains popular, he could get in.

Like I said, Chrom's main saving grace is that he's an echo fighter, lol. If he had to have a unique moveset (like, you know, Rex), he wouldn't of been included.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Is rex going to keep having a dedicated fanbase even when more xenoblades come out? That's a difference between him and ridley or k.rool. Chrom only got in as an echo. Will people accept rex as an echo?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But that's the question, will Rex remain popular in the coming years? The next Xenoblade game could very easily eclipse XB2 in critical & financial success, leaving Rex in the dust.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New reps for the West?

It's a good thing Ninja Gaiden games are more important in the West, lol.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Steve is....inevitable.

Tqx7Bmm.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see we're just openly posting Endgame spoilers now.

Shouldn't that deconfirm Banjo, though? You know, with him dying to take out Steve.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai is his sheer fire emblem fandom, will be indebted to Tecmo Koei ensuring that Three Houses could actually get done, that he'll give Ryu a spot as the equivalent to the new FE rep.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Well I suppose Rex's future could die if they want the next protag instead.
Kinda like Elma's support is minimal outside of Era.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
My opinion on Crash is that, design wise, he overlaps with Banjo too much. He's a late 90s platforming mascot with a wacky design that even looks somewhat similar to Banjo.
We've got Anime, Anime Swordsmen, and Cartoony Bear and Bird. Guess we'll get an animal (Agumon) and something more realistic (Chris or Leon) going by that.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So you can't actually answer why she should be unique and not derivative of Diddy.

And yea, I'm glossing over her starring role because DKC3 is the black sheep of the series and isn't highly regarded to the point where just pages ago people were making fun of Kiddy Kong. And hasn't been mentioned in Smash until a .png of Kiddy Kong + Dixie got included in Ultimate.
A game that sold more than any one title of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Banjo-Kazooie. Sure, okay, we'll just gloss right over that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I'll give a more detailed answer--Dixie's character design makes it outright irresponsible game design to just transplant a hand to hand moveset to. She has a giant, brightly colored weapon attached to the back of her head. Having her fight primarily with punches and kicks would be like having Ganondorf hold his sword at all times but still only use it in his smash attacks, or Luigi had his Poltergust on his back the entire time but still only used it for his throws and Final Smash. It doesn't translate visually well at all. This, combined with the fact that her personality is easily different enough from Diddy's and she's actually not any more derivative of Diddy in DKC than Diddy was of Donkey Kong (she's actually almost as far removed from Diddy gameplay wise as you can possibly be in DKC's gameplay) makes her an Isabelle type situation at the very least.

Never mind that if Dixie was going to be part of a switchable tag team with Diddy like we suspect she would only really make sense as someone with a unique enough moveset to switch to from Diddy. Ultimate added Ridley and King K. Rool as unique newcomers but only added Dark Samus as an echo and the only reasoning for Dixie still being echo material is "well, maybe Dark Samus was a more popular request" when we have no real reason to think so.

The difference with Dixie is that we know for a fact that she almost made it but lost out once. She's the standout amongst the Forbidden 7 from Brawl as the only one we got a comment from Sakurai on, and that comment was just about leaving her out. Since then, as far as we know she's never been revisited as a character beyond the one time she was almost Diddy's partner.

It's not reading into intentions, it's going off the only direct evidence we have of how she's perceived by Sakurai, and it's not really that great for her.
Without knowing why she wasn't chosen in 4 and Ultimate it's just a single data point to go off of.

Dixie was going to be in Brawl in part of a tag team with Diddy, but then wasn't. That's all we know. So many other characters have likely almost been added and then didn't over the course of the series. Hell, even Geno was mentioned once by Sakurai as being considered and that's considered a boon for his chances, not a bust.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If people are still happy to support Isaac, who was the protagonist of the first half of a two part game released over a decade ago, I'm sure Pyra (and Rex) will have continued support.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If people are still happy to support Isaac, who was the protagonist of the first half of a two part game released over a decade ago, I'm sure Pyra (and Rex) will have continued support.
But even Isaac didn't get more than the return of his AT & a Mii Costume (likely due to Golden Sun being dead). For all we know, Xenoblade 3's protagonist could eclipse Rex & Pyra/Mythra in popularity. And due to Xenoblade not being a dead IP, Rex's demand is more likely to diminish in the coming years.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what's going to stop Dixie next time. Maybe all newcomers will be 3rd party lol

Next Smash will be the fabled "reboot". The base roster will be the most popular legacy fighters, the newcomers will be from the newest Nintendo games and more 3rd parties, and the DLC will be a split between bringing back many cut characters from Ultimate and more of a focus on western 3rd parties.

Mar 9, 2018
What are her merits? Why should Dixie be a unique fighter instead of based off Diddy, either as an echo or semi-clone?

She is Diddy's sidekick in his game and stars in what is widely considered the worst game in the DKC series that came out after the N64 was already out. She didn't appear in DK64. After that she languishes in spin off hell where she can re-use Diddy's animations when Square and Namco remember she exists, and then appears as Donkey Kong's sidekick in Tropical Freeze.

All the while she gets trophies in Smash games that boil her down to "She's Diddy's girlfriend who has hair"

What about Dixie is so unique, so earth shattering important, that she could not, in any way, be derivative of Diddy Kong? Who, by the way, has ~3 moves based on his own games and the rest are just generic monkey kicks/punches. Why do we need 2-3 DKC references and another set of generic monkey kung-fu moves?
I'll tell you why, Sylux lover (negative connotation and personal attack). Because she is an iconic character in a beloved trilogy of platformers played by millions of people around the world. She was a "sidekick" in the fan favorite DKC2, but in-game, there is no distinction between sidekick and lead besides the game title. She's an important part of that game, too. In fact, Dixie's more forgiving playstyle I'm sure made her a popular choice over Diddy, like how Diddy was more popular than Donkey in the original game. You'd probably find something similar in Tropical Freeze. So for many players, those games were primarily experienced through Dixie's conjoined eyes.

And it is probably true that DKC3 is generally considered the worst of the trilogy. But worst of 3 well-regarded games isn't a bad place to be. She is frikken playable in more SNES DKC games than Donkey Kong himself. Dixie's a major part of the series for fans and it's no wonder that requests for her endure despite Nintendos' mismanagement of the DK brand. She's one of Nintendo's earliest heroines! Impressive.

And to best represent Dixie Kong's abilities and character, they should focus on her hair, her defining trait from a gameplay and character design point of view. The ponytail is huge. You can't miss it.

I think DKC3 is important to represent in particular bcause it is the game that focused on her the most and contrasts with the other 2 in that DK and Diddy aren't featured. I can see her having some derivative moves, like most characters do. But Dixie is important enough and has enough uniqueness to justify them going all out on her.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
But even Isaac didn't get more than the return of his AT & a Mii Costume (likely due to Golden Sun being dead). For all we know, Xenoblade 3's protagonist could eclipse Rex & Pyra/Mythra in popularity. And due to Xenoblade not being a dead IP, Rex's demand is more likely to diminish in the coming years.
The next Xenoblade could be X2.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
A game that sold more than any one title of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Banjo-Kazooie. Sure, okay, we'll just gloss right over that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I'll give a more detailed answer--Dixie's character design makes it outright irresponsible game design to just transplant a hand to hand moveset to. She has a giant, brightly colored weapon attached to the back of her head. Having her fight primarily with punches and kicks would be like having Ganondorf hold his sword at all times but still only use it in his smash attacks, or Luigi had his Poltergust on his back the entire time but still only used it for his throws and Final Smash. It doesn't translate visually well at all. This, combined with the fact that her personality is easily different enough from Diddy's and she's actually not any more derivative of Diddy in DKC than Diddy was of Donkey Kong (she's actually almost as far removed from Diddy gameplay wise as you can possibly be in DKC's gameplay) makes her an Isabelle type situation at the very least.
Personality doesn't matter when making clones. In fact, having a different personality is actually a pro towards her being a clone. It's why clones like Daisy work.

Visually, her hair being most of her body wouldn't really matter when making a clone. So she has Diddy's up air, but the animation is slightly tweaked to use her hair. Or his down smash slaps are changed to hair slaps. It'd be the same moves, just with different animations, something clones do all the time in Smash. They have to make up 90% of her moveset anyway, why do those made up moves have to be anything more than derivative of Diddy?

And there's Palutena, who has bright green hair that makes up a huge part of her model, and that's not been a problem.

At least you admit she could be an Isabelle situation, aka, she could be a semi-clone. So we've moved on past there being absolutely no way she could or should be built off Diddy.

Never mind that if Dixie was going to be part of a switchable tag team with Diddy like we suspect she would only really make sense as someone with a unique enough moveset to switch to from Diddy. Ultimate added Ridley and King K. Rool as unique newcomers but only added Dark Samus as an echo and the only reasoning for Dixie still being echo material is "well, maybe Dark Samus was a more popular request" when we have no real reason to think so.
Every other cut newcomer in the files + Wolf and Toon Link are heavily built off every character. Why would Dixie be different from the other cut/last minute Brawl characters? The unique fighters that we know didn't make it into Brawl are nowhere in the files.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Oh gods no as Corrin would say, I forgot about them and their awful plot
Their plot was fine, just fairly standard for a cross over. You got some betrayal, you got some demons, you got portals to other worlds, you got some friendship. Nothing special, but harmless.
I actually liked them, even.

e: to be clear i'd rather they not get into smash but they're fine. it's fine. I'd pull for them in Heroes if Heroes had any interest in crossover characters

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the real GOAT Donkey Kong newcomer
tumblr_pc1ew1NxCe1swih3vo3_r1_250.gif

I've always joked about a DK64 character getting in Smash, but not Lanky by himself.

An idea I had was Tiny, Lanky and Chunky as one character. It would work like Pokemon Trainer, where their down B would swap the character out. Instead of a Pokeball, they would swap out with one of these.

images

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Personality doesn't matter when making clones. In fact, having a different personality is actually a pro towards her being a clone. It's why clones like Daisy work.

Visually, her hair being most of her body wouldn't really matter when making a clone. So she has Diddy's up air, but the animation is slightly tweaked to use her hair. Or his down smash slaps are changed to hair slaps. It'd be the same moves, just with different animations, something clones do all the time in Smash. They have to make up 90% of her moveset anyway, why do those made up moves have to be anything more than derivative of Diddy?

At least you admit she could be an Isabelle situation, aka, she could be a semi-clone. So we've moved on past there being absolutely no way she could or should be built off Diddy.
Altering a physical move's animation to the point that it's utilizing a completely different 'limb' as it were is completely beyond the scope of cloned attacks we've seen in Smash. It's twisting design guidelines into a pretzel in order to justify a character being a clone, which is just backwards from how they're actually created. If the designers are conceptualizing a Dixie moveset and come up with moves that require her to use her hair they're not going to shove that square peg into a round hole and make it a variant of an existing kick attack, that would instead be justification for making her more unique.
Every other cut newcomer in the files + Wolf and Toon Link are heavily built off every character. Why would Dixie be different from the other cut/last minute Brawl characters? The unique fighters that we know didn't make it into Brawl are nowhere in the files.
And every cut veteran was a clone or derivative--save one, Mewtwo. We have no idea what Dixie was planned to play like.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
All Smash characters are Mario clones, they just use different animations for their attacks.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh if we get any extra DLC after pass, even just 1 and it would break a deconfirm rule, I'm sure Rex would make it.

Also, really? Elma's chances are good because of "maybe next game is X2"? Yeah ok.

Speaking of Mario clones, I'm guessing that Doctor Mario exists because Sakurai thought it would be funny if Mario threw pills.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Tbh if we get any extra DLC after pass, even just 1 and it would break a deconfirm rule, I'm sure Rex would make it.

Also, really? Elma's chances are good because of "maybe next game is X2"? Yeah ok.

Speaking of Mario clones, I'm guessing that Doctor Mario exists because Sakurai thought it would be funny if Mario threw pills.
He liked the music from Doctor Mario

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If he hadn't done Dr. Mario in Melee, I wonder if he would have gone with Daisy...
hmmm

Daisy hadn't really hit her big popularity, yet, I feel like that came after Double Dash.

I actually have a hard time thinking of 1 more clone for Melee

Maybe "Young Zelda" as a Zelda clone that has some gimmick where she summons Impa who is a clone of Sheik?

Baby Bowser, maybe? Mario Party had those Koopa Kid gremling things which were like Baby Bowser, so he was kinda still around, and Yoshi's Story made up the bulk of Yoshi's representation in the first few Smashes.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Music, eh?

It is an incredible waste that this song is not in Smash in any way.

Or its remix.

Or its other remix.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Altering a physical move's animation to the point that it's utilizing a completely different 'limb' as it were is completely beyond the scope of cloned attacks we've seen in Smash. It's twisting design guidelines into a pretzel in order to justify a character being a clone, which is just backwards from how they're actually created. If the designers are conceptualizing a Dixie moveset and come up with moves that require her to use her hair they're not going to shove that square peg into a round hole and make it a variant of an existing kick attack, that would instead be justification for making her more unique.

And every cut veteran was a clone or derivative--save one, Mewtwo. We have no idea what Dixie was planned to play like.

Thank you for this. I feel like ResetEra has litigated Dixie's echo/clone potential a thousand times at this point and we eventually always arrive at the same place. Maybe they'd use Diddy's model and skeleton as a starting point. Beyond that, the idea of Dixie truly being based on Diddy never holds up.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm throwing my hat in Monolithsoft's new fantasy IP, depending on the reception it gets.
Aren't they working on another non-Xenoblade game? Whatever this is:
mv.jpg
Assuming that the Switch lasts for another 2-3 years, the next Smash game is probably another 4-5 years out. That may be enough time for this to come out & for another Xenoblade game to be made for the Switch's eventual successor.

With that said, if said new IP is successful, I could see it being a Smash contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.