• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that complicated. None of Diddy's attacks use his tail. Not a single one. His tail isn't even a hurtbox. Some idles have the tail animated but they can disable it in the physics data. It's not like Isabelle where the entire body has changed and it's not really feasible to share motions. The hair can be controlled by physics and hand animated for one or two attacks (dash, up B) The majority of motions can be shared.

Then why didn't they add Dixie as an echo when they had the chance with Ultimate?

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The size of the hair could be a bit of a pain if it indeed takes up a sizable amount of her body. How was she handled in Tropical Freeze?

Then why didn't they add Dixie as an echo when they had the chance with Ultimate?

Maybe a lack of time/lower priority/popularity? Or the hair may have been a bit of a pain due to body size...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a lack of time/lower priority/popularity? Or the hair may have been a bit of a pain due to body size...

Occam's Razor would indicate that Dixie is not Echo Fighter material. They added Dark Samus but not Dixie. I can think of no other explanation for this.

(People wanted Ridley. They didn't care about another possible Metroid rep.)

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Dixie is not a character, original or not, not because she's not worthy of either category, but because DK fans fully backed K Rool over her all this time.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Sakurai's columns never really match up with when things are revealed/released. Him talking about something unrelated to Hero next time has no bearing on Hero being released during that time.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai's columns never really match up with when things are revealed/released. Him talking about something unrelated to Hero next week has no bearing on Hero being released during that time.
For some reference on how long there can be, Joker was revealed on December 7th but the famitsu column about the reveal was on December 26th
Meanwhile 3.0 was released on April 17th but his column was almost a full month later (translation was on the 18th so Famitsu should've come out around the 15th).

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Occam's Razor would indicate that Dixie is not Echo Fighter material. They added Dark Samus but not Dixie. I can think of no other explanation for this.

(People wanted Ridley. They didn't care about another possible Metroid rep.)
This isn't entirely fair.

You have to remember, at the time the ballot was considered a Smash 4-exclusive concept, and that meant that a lot of fans considered Ridley to be ineligible due to the whole Pyrosphere thing. As a result of this, Metroid fans ended up being split on their votes. Many stuck to their guns and voted Ridley anyways, but a sizable amount of them took to voting for Dark Samus instead, as she was rightfully next in line after the big guy. It's probably because things seemed so dire for Ridley back then that we have Dark Samus now.

Dixie unfortunately didn't have a similar situation to benefit from. The K. Rool train was full steam going into Smash DLC, and didn't stop until the Mii Costume, which was after the ballot closed. As a result, Dixie didn't end up getting the vote split like Dark Samus did, and probably didn't end up doing as strongly on the polls.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You have to remember, at the time the ballot was considered a Smash 4-exclusive concept, and that meant that a lot of fans considered Ridley to be ineligible due to the whole Pyrosphere thing. As a result of this, Metroid fans ended up being split on their votes. Many stuck to their guns and voted Ridley anyways, but a sizable amount of them took to voting for Dark Samus instead, as she was rightfully next in line after the big guy. It's probably because things seemed so dire for Ridley back then that we have Dark Samus now.

Dixie unfortunately didn't have a similar situation to benefit from. The K. Rool train was full steam going into Smash DLC, and didn't stop until the Mii Costume, which was after the ballot closed. As a result, Dixie didn't end up getting the vote split like Dark Samus did, and probably didn't end up doing as strongly on the polls.

(That might actually be it.)

Mar 9, 2018

I strongly disagree. I don't think it's true at all that Ridley ever "split" the vote with Dark Samus to any degree. Ridley was always THE one, THE choice of the Metroid fanbase by far, even as Ridley fans were beaten down by Sakurai and other Smash fans' words. The story of Ridley is a story of a fanbase's resilience -- a pizza that wouldn't cook no matter how much the chef yelled. A toilet that wouldn't flush no matter how much the plumber plunged.

Ridley was overtaken by K. Rool in the ballot -- and many other characters -- but Ridley still held on. Dark Samus was always a far off dream.

Dark Samus got her butt kicked by Dixie Kong in the ballot. You can look up the polls from that period and Dark Samus doesn't even register. Dixie does, even if notably below K. Rool. That still put her ahead of a lot of characters, including Dark Samus. In fact, the furor over K. Rool helped Dixie relative to other characters because it kept her around in people's minds. She was often floated as a "realistic" alternative to K. Rool. The conflict fed the Dixie machine.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I strongly disagree. I don't think it's true at all that Ridley ever "split" the vote with Dark Samus to any degree. Ridley was always THE one, THE choice of the Metroid fanbase by far, even as Ridley fans were beaten down by Sakurai and other Smash fans' words. The story of Ridley is a story of a fanbase's resilience -- a pizza that wouldn't cook no matter how much the chef yelled. A toilet that wouldn't flush no matter how much the plumber plunged.

Ridley was overtaken by K. Rool in the ballot -- and many other characters -- but Ridley still held on. Dark Samus was always a far off dream.

Dark Samus got her butt kicked by Dixie Kong in the ballot. You can look up the polls from that period and Dark Samus doesn't even register. Dixie does, even if notably below K. Rool. That still put her ahead of a lot of characters, including Dark Samus. In fact, the furor over K. Rool helped Dixie relative to other characters because it kept her around in people's minds. She was often floated as a "realistic" alternative to K. Rool. The conflict fed the Dixie machine.
Because people running fan polls almost always removed people's votes if they voted for an "impossible" character like Chrom or Dark Samus who were already used in the game in some capacity.

Mar 9, 2018
I think the echoes are being rated on a curve when it comes to "getting a lot of requests".

Except Daisy, who is a mega popular character but who makes a lot of sense as an echo.

Because people running fan polls almost always removed people's votes if they voted for an "impossible" character like Chrom or Dark Samus who were already used in the game in some capacity.
True. And I would say that those omissions themselves shaped how people voted. Some choices were simply defined out of existence. Dixie had way more backing in the ballot than Dark Samus ever did, thanks to bias like the one you mentioned.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Samus probably didn't get that many votes relatively speaking because she was already in Smash 4 as an AT.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta remember some people considered Ridley out of the running for the Ballot. Some fans just wanted some kind of new Metroid character. I totally see why Dark Samus was highly requested.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Gotta remember some people considered Ridley out of the running for the Ballot. Some fans just wanted some kind of new Metroid character. I totally see why Dark Samus was highly requested.
This is why I believe Dark Samus must have did pretty well. She was the "well, if we can't have Ridley, she's the next best thing"

I know that's part of the reason I supported her.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most people still took the ballot to be for 4's DLC.

(And some people were super salty when Bayo was declared the winner.)

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018

Oh trust me, I know. I've been waving Ridley's flag ever since the Melee intro 18 years ago and I was actually moved to tears by his reveal trailer. But I think people forget how battered the Ridley fandom was after Smash 4. It was pretty clear that the whole Pyrosphere shadow situation took the wind out of their sails. I still remember the very somber sign-off thread on Smashboards after his disconfirmation with a number of people saying it was their last rodeo because they were exhausted after how much of a rollercoaster the whole Pyrosphere situation ended up being.

The ballot was just rubbing salt in the wound because everyone correctly assumed that an existing notable role in the game was a damning mark against them. As someone who frequented a lot of Ridley threads across the net, I saw plenty of people saying that they were going to move on to Dark Samus or at least throw her a vote alongside Ridley. That plus the fact that Sakurai outright said Dark Samus and Chrom were added to the game for popularity reasons has me thinking that, ironically, Ridley's deconfirmation for Smash 4 resulted in us getting an additional Metroid character in the end.

As for the Dixie situation, yes, she was presented as the realistic alternative to K. Rool, but that was mostly before the full game released, and certainly before the ballot came up. Because of Tropical Freeze being recent and no one knowing when the cutoff was at the time, most figured Dixie had a great shot due to recency whereas old Mario Sluggers-only K. Rool was constantly given the "irrelevant" brush-off. Once the ballot appeared and the idea of a character getting into Smash on popularity alone became a feasible concept, the K. Rool squad went into overdrive with the Kremling Kampaign and left Dixie in the dust.

As for the fan polls, I'll admit that Dixie did chart better on those than Dark Samus, but as I mentioned earlier, many of the Metroid fans had lost hope and probably moved on from where the polls were happening. After all, Ridley himself didn't chart on a lot of these polls. I just think you're underselling Dark Samus's (confirmed) popularity and overselling Dixie's at the time. She's definitely going to become an enormous force now that K. Rool's in, but it's a similar situation to the competition between Diddy and K. Rool in Brawl: one only really takes off after the other is already in.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, aren't we forgetting that Dark Samus was already an assist trophy in Smash 4, essentially putting her in the same pit with Ridley at the time?

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I think we underestimate and overestimate a lot of characters while trying to assume what Sakurai would do looking at the list of choices.

I honestly think Goku, Spongebob and Iron Man were likely highly voted on as he's mentioned them. But how many people mention the latter two in these fan polls? It's also so arbitrary for what he picks- Dark Samus may have been 89th on the list but Sakurai thought all the others would be unique characters or impossible with their time limit for development.

It's one reason I'd love to see a BTS book about the whole process.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think we underestimate and overestimate a lot of characters while trying to assume what Sakurai would do looking at the list of choices.

I honestly think Goku, Spongebob and Iron Man were likely highly voted on as he's mentioned them. But how many people mention the latter two in these fan polls? It's also so arbitrary for what he picks- Dark Samus may have been 89th on the list but Sakurai thought all the others would be unique characters or impossible with their time limit for development.

It's one reason I'd love to see a BTS book about the whole process.

Goku, Spongebob, and the like definitely did way better than characters who did end up in the game like Banjo.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Wait, aren't we forgetting that Dark Samus was already an assist trophy in Smash 4, essentially putting her in the same pit with Ridley at the time?
And even with all of that writing, I completely forgot that Dark Samus was an assist in Smash 4. Fudge.

Even then though, getting boss'd twice in a row felt like finality to a lot of people for Ridley. Dark Samus probably felt a lot more achievable than him at the time, and probably helped her rally enough extra votes to get her where she is now.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a lot more love for Chrom than Dark Samus.
Dark Samus isn't as popular as Chrom technically. Chrom's game outsold Dark Samus's games. So he has a bigger group of fans by that alone.

Plus another aspect that affects a tiny group of people like me is that Samus in Smash Ultimate isn't fun to play. Dark Samus has cool animations but her moveset sucks. Rather she had a unique moveset.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Dark Samus comes off to me as a character that probably did well enough on the ballot to be noticed but probably not enough to really be pushed into playable territory, like Black Knight or something.

With a unique moveset, that is. They were able to cut corners and include her as a quick clone of Samus with some new animations and minimal balance changes. It was either that, or just keeping her as an assist trophy.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Dixie did better than Dark Samus, but Dixie isn't echo material. (And obviously K. Rool was one of the dominant characters of the ballot.)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on someone committing career suicide and also jail time to bring us the ballot results

it will destroy us all but it'll be pretty funny

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Still waiting on someone committing career suicide and also jail time to bring us the ballot results

it will destroy us all but it'll be pretty funny
Knowing the actual ballot results would destroy smash communities across the web as a whole. Legitimately I think the current Pokemon controversy would pale in comparison to finding out the actual ballot rankings and how many characters ended up getting passed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.