• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this was a real poll, i'm sure they would remove the option to vote for the unrealistic additions that wouldn't work as fighters, like Color TV Game 15, Flies and Hand, Klaptrap and Waluigi.

Chain Chomp and Hammer Bro are still allowed though.
are Ghosts out too?

guess I'll have to go through my second choices - Devil, nintendog, Moon, Thwomp

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario is my most wanted.

But I'll support Issac more. (Tho would perfer Mia from Golden Sun but she's ain't getting in ever)

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does she need it though? Before the August Direct, weren't people saying that she already had enough merits to make it in?

Well I mean, I guess she would need it for Ultimate, but I saw this hypothetical as a next Smash thing.
She might! I would like to give her an extra push though. Then again I could also vote for Mother Brain. Or Takamaru! Break down the "no Japan-only characters" wall.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My brain doesn't want any more swords but my heart can't say no to prince sable

Although Ashly + red transforming into various objects/weapons sounds the most fun to me right now

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Rathalos is the first character to be a boss, an assist trophy, and a playable fighter all at the same time!"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Break down the "no Japan-only characters" wall.
Well I mean; Marth, Roy and Lucas. But I get what you mean though three have special caveats attached, and it seems like Sakurai has gone back on allowing those sorts of inclusions.

Takamaru isn't even Japan-only anymore regardless (thank you 3DS Virtual Console), so he's allowed in.

is that Rosalina and Luma's Echo Fighter?
Yeah; on the seperate Echo Fighter poll, they are one of the options for Rosalina's Echo, alongside Lillie and Nebby.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
She might! I would like to give her an extra push though. Then again I could also vote for Mother Brain. Or Takamaru! Break down the "no Japan-only characters" wall.
Takamaru wouldn't break down that wall anymore tho. He got brought westward on the 3DS.

If you REALLY wanna break down that wall, you gotta join the Sukapon winners circle.

(man there is a depressing amount of great playable options stuck in AT hell)

Mar 9, 2018
Midna, because she's good and it would break the spell a lot of the fanbase has about Zelda characters.

I'm not sure who I would pick for my other devices and locations.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chain-Chomp is an easy addition. Introducing Fighter #70ε!

BDZdA1n.png

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Can you do that with a sub on an English account, or do I have to pay again to get that?
Nah, you don't need a Japanese NSO subscrption. You just need to make a Japanese account to access the eShop and download it.

Only negative is that you start getting Japanese posts in the Switch News section, and you can't disable that. I've gotten used to it by now though.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably vote Waluigi in an AT ballot. A lot of the other Nintendo characters I think fit the AT role well or don't have much going for them nowadays.

Also would rather see a Nintendo character get in instead of voting in what would be 3rd party #6 for DLC. lol

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It makes a lot of sense on paper as to why all of that new content being required might have stonewalled Isaac, but that sort of falls apart when you look at Castlevania, which got all of that and more, but also which I wouldn't have pegged as being more popular than Isaac ballot-wise. Makes you think.
Simon Belmont had been a popular request ever since the Brawl days, and Castlevania as a whole has always had more pedigree than Golden Sun.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
I do honestly wonder how well Isaac did in the ballot. He clearly did well enough to get both a much-improved Assist Trophy and model, as well as his Mii costume, and in fan polls generally wasn't too far behind big fan favorite K. Rool.

I don't know if it was here, but I saw someone hypothesize once that Isaac might have had a harder uphill battle due to being from a franchise new to Smash, and would have therefore necessitated a new stages, a full musical work up, and more, whereas K. Rool and Ridley didn't have to considering they came from existing series with a lot of the work already done.

It makes a lot of sense on paper as to why all of that new content being required might have stonewalled Isaac, but that sort of falls apart when you look at Castlevania, which got all of that and more, but also which I wouldn't have pegged as being more popular than Isaac ballot-wise. Makes you think.
Castlevania is one of the biggest classic gaming IPs
please

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I still find it somewhat strange that Richter is about 3-4 characters above Simon in the game's character select database. Every other base fighter is directly followed by their echo. I guess they figured Richter had the better moveset, so once they got him right, they could apply it to Simon just because he's the og.
My suspicion has always been that Sakurai just wanted a Belmont in order to represent Castlevania and decided to implement Richter since he has the most versatile moveset out of all the Belmonts. It wasn't until later that he decided to implement Simon as the default only because of worldwide appeal (nearly every reaction video I've seen of that reveal had not a single person recognise Richter).

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
Midna got shafted so badly. I guess they just didn't expect her to get so popular during the development of Brawl.

This post feels awkward with Ganondorf's smug-ass face next to it.

Ganondorf_%28horseback%29.png

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
Eh, I'm biased. I guess it's because there was no way she'd get any other chance to be in Smash. I'm not sure Sheik would have been a mainstay had she not been in Melee.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
They should do a ballot where the only choices are assist trophies and you have to choose ONE to be a fighter.

I'll rally the supporters for Nikki!

Would vote for Skull Kid, but if we got an AT -> Fighter Pass, then:

1) Skull Kid
2) Prince Sablé
3) Ashley
4) Sukapon
5) Nikki

Would also be happy to see Alucard and Dr. Wily make it in as well.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Obviously it won't happen on this fighters pass, but for the next game (or a second pass focused on first party characters), I really wouldn't mind seeing King Boo get a spot, especially with Luigi's Mansion 3 looking fantastic. Could definitely have both his main designs as skins.

latest

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Technically the only playable character in mainline Zelda that isn't Link.
by "main line" i assume you're discounting all handheld titles (Phatnom hourglass has you control a goron kid, Spirit Tracks has Zelda (in the Phantom)) and mind control (Medli & Makar) , but Majora's Mask does let you use Kafaei (now there would be an inexplicable echo)

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
by "main line" i assume you're discounting all handheld titles (Phatnom hourglass has you control a goron kid, Spirit Tracks has Zelda (in the Phantom)) and mind control (Medli & Makar) , but Majora's Mask does let you use Kafaei (now there would be an inexplicable echo)

Nah I just knew I was forgetting something and someone would correct me if I posted it. Didn't play Spirit Tracks, totally forgot about ghost Zelda.

Let's say she's the last major playable character in Zelda currently not playable in Smash from a mainline title. I think that should cover it.

Mar 9, 2018
Obviously it won't happen on this fighters pass, but for the next game (or a second pass focused on first party characters), I really wouldn't mind seeing King Boo get a spot, especially with Luigi's Mansion 3 looking fantastic. Could definitely have both his main designs as skins.

latest
I wonder why the King Boo on the right gets into Mario Kart and stuff while left King Boo never leaves Luigi's Mansion.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Ok I got a hypothetical question (the point is not whether its likely or feasible).
What's the equivalent of a DQ reveal for something that is really big in the west, but japan couldn't give 2 hoots about?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm asking as someone out of the loop: what kind of moveset could King Boo have?
Haven't played LM2 yet, so unsure what kind of stuff he does in that, or whatever else they'll do with him in LM3. In LM1
his boss fight just has him inside a Bowser suit.

So, uh, standard boo stuff. Could have a teleporting up-b where he vanishes and reappears, could hide as his down-special as a counter/reflect :p
Could also use other boo minions, as well as licking/biting attacks.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Ok I got a hypothetical question (the point is not whether its likely or feasible).
What's the equivalent of a DQ reveal for something that is really big in the west, but japan couldn't give 2 hoots about?
Everyone already covered the main picks. Mortal Kombat might even be a step above DQ, since those games can't even release there now.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
A Dragon Quest equivilent would actually require it to have a niche appeal in Japan rather than no appeal in Japan at all.

And by niche I actually mean sells whatever the Japanese equivilent of hitting a million sales is, so not really niche at all.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
A Dragon Quest equivilent would actually require it to have a niche appeal in Japan rather than no appeal in Japan at all.

And by niche I actually mean sells whatever the Japanese equivilent of hitting a million sales is, so not really niche at all.
Grand Theft Auto almost always hits the 100-200k mark, which puts it around Tales of numbers. I think it's a fair comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.