• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it won't happen on this fighters pass, but for the next game (or a second pass focused on first party characters), I really wouldn't mind seeing King Boo get a spot, especially with Luigi's Mansion 3 looking fantastic. Could definitely have both his main designs as skins.

latest

King Boo doesn't have too much going on in his LM boss fights. In 1, the real boss is the mecha Bowser. In 2 he has body slams and can summon purple lightning with his gem. I guess it depends on what 3 lends to his arsenal.

I think the best thing for King Boo would to make him an amalgam of all the different Boo abilities in the Mario series like with Pirahna Plant.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Some people expected Hero this week?

Uh, why?
Why not? It wasn't that outlandish of a prediction all things considered:
  1. Could've served as a potential tie-in for the release of Dragon Quest Builders 2 this week.
  2. An update for Ultimate game is (possibly) due before July 19th, to add support for the next amiibo wave.
  3. There was a tease for it on the French Nintendo Twitter that was misinterpreted for some time (not being for this week, but for the near future).
  4. The gap between Joker and Hero is already longer than the one between Piranha Plant and Joker, so people are starting to expect a release soon.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo seasons are pretty literal to the calendar date, so they could make us wait until late September if they wanted. I think Hero won't release for at least another month to put it closer to DQXI S for that marketing synergy.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Nintendo seasons are pretty literal to the calendar date, so they could make us wait until late September if they wanted. I think Hero won't release for at least another month to put it closer to DQXI S for that marketing synergy.
Doubt it. If we really need to wait until August for Hero, i'm sure his release will happen around EVO.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder why the King Boo on the right gets into Mario Kart and stuff while left King Boo never leaves Luigi's Mansion.
Because...

In Mario 64 DS, King Boo looked like a giant boo with a goofy crown. This may have been to fit the art style better, or because the "real" King Boo didn't work with the DS' limited graphics.

From there, Mario Kart DS came out, and King Boo's Mario 64 DS model was repurposed for a mission mode fight.

Mario Kart DS borrowed heavily from Mario 64 DS, and then going forward, ALL Mario Spin Offs (and future Mario games, even) would adapt Mario 64 DS's designs as the "canon" designs for enemies, with a couple minor tweaks here or there as graphics improved.

So King Boo is stuck in spin offs being a Big Boo with a crown because of an early 2000s DS remake of Mario 64 that somehow became the basis for the art style for Mario spin offs for the next 15 years and beyond.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Why not? It wasn't that outlandish of a prediction all things considered:
  1. Could've served as a potential tie-in for the release of Dragon Quest Builders 2 this week.
  2. An update for Ultimate game is (possibly) due before July 19th, to add support for the next amiibo wave.
  3. There was a tease for it on the French Nintendo Twitter that was misinterpreted for some time (not being for this week, but for the near future).
  4. The gap between Joker and Hero is already longer than the one between Piranha Plant and Joker, so people are starting to expect a release soon.

Eh, I want it like, now, obviously, but there's not anything super concrete pointing to his release, at least not that I've seen anywhere, at least not yet. Summer just started, so who knows. Hopefully not much longer.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Based on what we have to go on though, I'm still going to guess that they're not going to meet their February deadline, at this point. Banjo won't be out until September at the very earliest, and we won't be hearing about fighter number four for a good long while.

The "one character every two months" theory is already busted. I just think they underestimated how long the characters and stages would take to develop.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I want it like, now, obviously, but there's not anything super concrete pointing to his release, at least not that I've seen anywhere, at least not yet. Summer just started, so who knows. Hopefully not much longer.
Also people are hoping for his inclusion at EVO, which requires him to be released by the 17th.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I mean hey, if my amiibo update theory proves to be fruitful, we all benefit by getting Hero next week.

Really hope someone just gets their hands on the next wave a bit early to prove me wrong (so I don't need to get my hopes up).

They're probably not going to. It's July and we have a single character released.
3/4 of Smash 4's unique DLC newcomers released within two months of each-other.

Smash DLC release schedules are all weird.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They can release 2 characters same day like Smash 4.

Nothing is stopping that. Especially when the last major event to reveal is the Game Awards. September direct for character 4 and Game Awards Character 5. February release?

I could see that.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Maybe Feburary wasn't a hard deadline, but instead a goal they had in mind at the beginning of development of the DLC, who knows.

We know it takes a good while to develop characters, Sakurai hss said that time and again.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I will say their releases/reveal schedule for the DLC has been excruciatingly poorly paced.

The reveal schedule for Ultimate in general has been poorly paced

Sure did love waiting months on end to get any new info with absolutely nothing inbetween Directs (outside of new music tracks)

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
They can release 2 characters same day like Smash 4.

Nothing is stopping that. Especially when the last major event to reveal is the Game Awards. September direct for character 4 and Game Awards Character 5. February release?

I could see that.
You know, they'll have run out of seasons to base the updates around by Character #5 (3.0 was advertised as the Spring update, Hero is set for Summer and Banjo is set for Fall), so in a weird way I can see this playing out.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Characters taking longer to make with a larger roster could be a culprit. At least they told us who's coming so we aren't stuck in Banjo vs. Steve speculation.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they literally revealed every single stage in the game in August?

They could of held back on some returning stages for the final Direct.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It was either this or not have "Everyone is here!"

Were you willing to make that sacrifice?
They didn't have to reveal Dark Samus and Chrom in the August Direct. They could have did a little Smash video at some point in the middle where they revealed those two

I don't really understand how "Everyone is here" has anything to do with the awkward way Ultimate news was revealed, or why a different reveal plan would have required the concept to be dropped.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight it was also basically a big red flag to anyone who was hoping for guys from unrepresented series like Golden Sun, Banjo-Kazooie, etc

We didn't figure back in August that our last few newcomers for the base roster were going to be from Animal Crossing, Street Fighter and Pokemon. What a way to go out

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't have to reveal Dark Samus and Chrom in the August Direct. They could have did a little Smash video at some point in the middle where they revealed those two

I don't really understand how "Everyone is here" has anything to do with the awkward way Ultimate news was revealed, or why a different reveal plan would have required the concept to be dropped.
They wanted to squish everything into three directs because it was a shorter cycle than usual and less to reveal.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Scenario:

The timeline of this fighter's pass has been so weirdly paced because after seeing how insanely successful the game and the pass have been sales wise, Nintendo asked Sakurai and his team to expand the scope of DLC plans for Ultimate. The team is working not only to finish up Hero and Banjo, not only to get solid builds for Figthers 4 and 5, but at this point they've also started development on the DLC content that will be coming after the fighter's pass.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if they just switched the belmont reveal with kencineroar, I think ot would change everyone's prespective a lot.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't have to do it that way

The August Direct also set expectations for the number of newcomers way higher than the final total was. Dark Samus and Chrom did not need to be revealed in that Direct.
Sakurai literally said in that direct after the 4 characters "we have a few more fighters to reveal, so stay tuned." After e3 where he said "so we hope you aren't expwcting too many new challengers."

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having 2 reveals (+ everyone is here) in June, then 4 reveals in August, then... 3 for the rest of the year was poorly conceived.

I guess they wanted two "full" newcomers per Direct, but yeah, if nothing else I would have saved Dark Samus for the final direct.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The reveal schedule for Ultimate in general has been poorly paced

Sure did love waiting waiting months on end to get any new info with absolutely nothing inbetween Directs (outside of new music tracks)
For real. It's still baffling to me that they revealed two huge newcomers and three (though Richter would have always been revealed with Simon) echoes in the same Smash Direct, aside from all the other stuff they revealed. They could have easily split some of that stuff up over time, especially because what followed was a low-key Isabelle reveal and the dreaded Kencineroar double reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.