• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
No...it's not hindsight because I literally said it since e3 from last year and kept saying it. I even said this to you specifically a lot. It's not sakurai's fault people think he plays 5d chess.
"A few more" is not a hard number. It doesn't mean anything.

There's also cases where Sakurai straight up said "a few more" was like 6 or whatever, I forget the exact amount.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
"A few more" is not a hard number. It doesn't mean anything.

There's also cases where Sakurai straight up said "a few more" was like 6 or whatever, I forget the exact amount.
He said a few more before k.rool. After he said it. There were 3 more characters left and one echo. 4 definitely fits the definition of a few.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was fine how they did it. Sakurai was pretty upfront about things like the stage count, and people still expected a Gen 7 stage for Incineroar. The final Direct still gave us 3 character reveals.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It turned out they weren't vague though, and people should beleive what sakurai says.
I mean hey, you were wrong in the pre-release period too (i'm sure everyone was in some way). You were lowballing after E3; so maybe it isn't good to take Sakurai's word too literally, hmm?

It's honestly funny, seeing as my newcomer count prediction on that page was actually correct (if you count Piranha Plant as a base roster character, seeing as it was clearly planned for it); Unique vs. Echo breakdown was off though.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately forgot King Boo was even in Double Dash lol

Now I wonder if that design is actually more based on Sunshine's King Boo, since his partner is Petey. And we've been stuck with it ever since.
I interpret them as more of a rival team for Mario and Luigi, representing villains from their respective GCN games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
According to Sakurai, like 3 weeks is also a "few days" so yea...
He said that Like 12 days later, but even then, the dude was tired and across the country at the time and was just answering an offhand question. Different from him specifying characters left in a direct.
I mean hey, you were wrong in the pre-release period too (i'm sure everyone was in some way). You were lowballing after E3; so maybe it isn't good to take Sakurai's word too literally, hmm?

It's honestly funny, seeing as my newcomer count prediction on that page was actually correct (if you count Piranha Plant as a base roster character, seeing as it was clearly planned for it); Unique vs. Echo breakdown was off though though.
Was off by 1 newcomer and 1 echo. I did later say I wouldn't be too shocked by 6 unique but held to 5.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
He said that Like 12 days later, but even then, the dude was tired and across the country at the time and was just answering an offhand question. Different from him specifying characters left in a direct.

Was off by 1 newcomer and 1 echo. I did later say I wouldn't be too shocked by 6 unique but held to 5.
So what Sakurai says only counts when you can claim you were right all along. When he makes up some nonsense "a few days ago" number which was actually 12 days, apparently it's because he's tired and it doesn't count. Even though you have no idea about any of the reasons he might have said a few days was 12 days. Maybe he actually thinks 12 is "a few" I mean, that's about as much of a legitimate read of what he said as "he was tired"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So what Sakurai says only counts when you can claim you were right all along. When he makes up some nonsense "a few days ago" number which was actually 14 days, apparently it's because he's tired and it doesn't count what Sakurai said.
Yea, because him answering some offhand questions to a dude at gamescon isn't the same as a direct. The days wasn't even the point of what he said, he said like "yea we revealed those characters a few days ago and I've been excited to see reactions to how people like them."

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Because...

In Mario 64 DS, King Boo looked like a giant boo with a goofy crown. This may have been to fit the art style better, or because the "real" King Boo didn't work with the DS' limited graphics.

Actually, Double Dash came before all of those and had King Boo as a Boo with a crown. So, really that's the culprit. It's weird because the original Luigi's Mansion was developed by EAD, with veteran producers and directors, so unlike other spin-off characters there's no obvious reason they just ignored Luigi's Mansion. Apparently they just think that the shadowy face doesn't fit the actual "Mario" aesthetic.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, Double Dash came before all of those and had King Boo as a Boo with a crown. So, really that's the culprit. It's weird because the original Luigi's Mansion was developed by EAD, with veteran producers and directors, so unlike other spin-off characters there's no obvious reason they just ignored Luigi's Mansion. Apparently they just think that the shadowy face doesn't fit the actual "Mario" aesthetic.
I think it comes down to that, they just think the more cutesy looking king boo is better for spinoffs that are about fun and not being spooky like luigis mansion.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It should be said that Melee more than doubled the original's cast, and Brawl and 4 both added at least 15 newcomers each. Ultimate is the odd one out, and even then it added at least 10 if you count either the Echoes or the Fighter Pass (I personally count the former because of Ultimate making an explicit point on including them).

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo had decided that the bandana wasn't a good choice for their new mook turned major character, so opted for a crown.
huehuehuehuehue

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I will say their releases/reveal schedule for the DLC has been excruciatingly poorly paced.

Yeah, it hasn't been the best. I understand the characters take time to develop, but in the 7 months since release we have one character from the Fighter's Pass. Fortunately that part is over, because we're about to get 4 more characters over the next 7 months.

Hopefully Hero is released within the next few weeks.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, the dicussion about the reveal schedule is moot now. Maybe it could have been handled different, but it's only being brought up now because people panicking about dlc delays.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
King Boo really is a cool looking character for having such a simple design
186-1861385_king-boo-in-luigis-mansion-2-king-boo.png

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Either way, the dicussion about the reveal schedule is moot now. Maybe it could have been handled different, but it's only being brought up now because people panicking about dlc delays.
It's not panicking about delays to say the DLC reveals/releases have been incredibly poorly paced.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
People getting concerned about the DLC schedule should be glad that they didn't get into Soul Clibur VI.

There you get no communication, huge gaps between characters, and most of them aren't even characters you want.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not panicking about delays to say the DLC reveals/releases have been incredibly poorly paced.
They're only paced "poorly" because joker was revealed so early. No one was expecting it at all there. That was considered good then, but now not good since joker clearly wasn't ready to fully reveal yet.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's pretty funny looking back on those old speculation days now; remembering how some people thought that 12 base newcomers was far too many because of Sakurai's comments.

83otCzO.jpg

Bada bing, bada boom.

I mean, I ended up overshooting my predictions later on, but I was pretty close around E3 (damn August Direct; making me go overboard on my expectations!)

I legitimately forgot King Boo was even in Double Dash lol

Now I wonder if that design is actually more based on Sunshine's King Boo, since his partner is Petey. And we've been stuck with it ever since.
You know what? That could very well be it.

Sunshine King Boo was obviously based on Sunshine's Boo designs, so when bringing the character over to spin-off series with a closer connection to the regular Mario universe and designs, they just adapted it to the regular Boo design.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
They're only paced "poorly" because joker was revealed so early. No one was expecting it at all there. That was considered good then, but now not good since joker clearly wasn't ready to fully reveal yet.
Even if Joker wasn't revealed as early, we'd still be on pace for potentially 2 releases in 7 months, with 4 more to go in the following 7. That's oddly spaced if nothing else.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Joker wasn't revealed as early, we'd still be on pace for potentially 2 releases in 7 months, with 4 more to go in the following 7. That's oddly spaced if nothing else.
Piranah plant, early feb. Joker mid April. Hero, possibly mid/late july. Banjo, late september or early October. 4, december. 5 February. Seems fine to me.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Piranah plant, early feb. Joker mid April. Hero, possibly mid/late july. Banjo, late september or early October. 4, december. 5 February. Seems fine to me.
If you want to count plant in the Fighters Pass, I guess? Your list also doesn't account for the months of radio silence between these releases and reveals, which makes it feel weirder. The Hero/Banjo double reveal helped a bit there though, at least we won't be completely in the dark for months after Hero comes out.
Weird release schedules is just the norm for Smash DLC I guess

*gets flashback to the six month gap between Ryu and Cloud*
So long all my friends had fallen off of Smash and I literally never played as the last three characters outside of single player. That was wild.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
At least Smash 4's DLC had other things to keep us occupied between Ryu and Cloud, namely Mii Fighter costumes, new/returning stages like Mario Maker and Pirate Ship, and that shitty online tourney mode lol.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
At least Smash 4's DLC had other things to keep us occupied between Ryu and Cloud, namely Mii Fighter costumes, new/returning stages like Mario Maker and Pirate Ship, and that shitty online tourney mode lol.
Hey; we've gotten, uh, VR Mode and amiibo Journeys in-between Joker and Hero!

That's something.

I'm honestly expecting a Mii Costume wave not tied to a character at some point

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sunshine is what lead Nintendo to doubling down on giving the Mario series a consistant aesthetic.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The in between character time would be a good place to release echoes in a similar way stages/Mii costumes filled in gaps in characters in Smash 4
Yeah, additional echoes would've been/would be nice.

Just give me Impa and Octoling, and i'd be content. Echoes for Sonic and Meta Knight (who both have multiple options) would be nice too.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder that the reason that Sunshine's enemies are all wack as fuck looking is because they're all creations of Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush

747px-ESMB_Bowser_Jr_Graffiti.png

This game's enemy characters are created by Bowser Jr.'s scribbling. That is why they are weak to water, and differ slightly in design from the rest of the series. Yoshi also vanishes if he falls in water for the same reason.

I honestly assumed they looked odd because they were just tropical subspecies of the enemies seen in the Mushroom Kingdom

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly assumed they looked odd because they were just tropical subspecies of the enemies seen in the Mushroom Kingdom
Yeah, that was always what I thought. Same for why there were no standard Koopas and Goombas. They just didn't live there.

I didn't even think about why they might be weak to water. It just seemed obvious that basically everything is "weak" to getting shot in the face with a fire hose.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Daily reminder that the reason that Sunshine's enemies are all wack as fuck looking is because they're all creations of Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush

747px-ESMB_Bowser_Jr_Graffiti.png

This game's enemy characters are created by Bowser Jr.'s scribbling. That is why they are weak to water, and differ slightly in design from the rest of the series. Yoshi also vanishes if he falls in water for the same reason.

So I guess Bowser Jr. went try-hard mode when making Yoshi because he really wanted to ride one, but half-assed all of the enemies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It was an interesting approach and made it clear this wasn't the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario was indeed abroad. Interesting to read there was an even deeper significance to the odd designs.

Still, I imagine the Club Nintendo surveys weren't exactly positive.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think Donkey Kong Jungle Beat had a similar problem with its enemies/characters all being really fucking weird looking

tumblr_pppaz7ooEy1x908lio1_250.png

Which I guess makes sense, considering a lot of the same team that worked on Sunshine also worked on Jungle Beat.

You know, it's kind of strange that EAD/EPD doesn't reference JB more considering it's their baby. Odyssey had a whole bunch of references to DK characters in New Donk City and yet they were all shout outs to Rare's characters.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
If you want to count plant in the Fighters Pass, I guess?
PP is a DLC character who was from the beginning announced to release in february. There was no way that the first Fighter Pass character would release before that.
February - april - july/august - september/october - december - february is definitely a good pacing.
One character every ~two/three months is fine.
After Joker's release, we only got one full month of no news (may). It's fine lol.
And like you said, it was in order to get 2 big reveals.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
New theory: they brought back the enemy designer from Sunshine to design the NSMBU Angry Sun for Super Mario Maker 2.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
If Bowser Jr made the Yoshis in Sunshine, why don't they try and kill you like everything else?
Even fake paint Yoshis are pure beings that can do no wrong.

Apparently Petey, Gooper Blooper and Cataquack must not have been made by Bowser Jr's paint, because all three come back in later games in the series.
I guess so; none of them are purely defeated by water (Petey being the closest, since you fill it up to make it vulnerable) so it adds up.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube era EAD was just really weird with experimenting with different art styles. Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Sunshine, and Jungle Beat all had really distinct and weird looks that weren't the typical norm. Some of them like Wind Waker were a hit while others like Jungle Beat were never spoken of again.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Jungle Beat remade with a DKC aesthetic would likely be considered one of the best games in the DKC series.

New Play Control Jungle Beat was amazing. But the character and enemy designs are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.