• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube era EAD was just really weird with experimenting with different art styles. Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Sunshine, and Jungle Beat all had really distinct and weird looks that weren't the typical norm. Some of them like Wind Waker were a hit while others like Jungle Beat were never spoken of again.

This particular style can be referred to as Japan Magic Creative™, as coined by DK Vine

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man its friday already? Where are you, Hero?
I think Donkey Kong Jungle Beat had a similar problem with its enemies/characters all being really fucking weird looking

tumblr_pppaz7ooEy1x908lio1_250.png

Which I guess makes sense, considering a lot of the same team that worked on Sunshine also worked on Jungle Beat.

You know, it's kind of strange that EAD/EPD doesn't reference JB more considering it's their baby. Odyssey had a whole bunch of references to DK characters in New Donk City and yet they were all shout outs to Rare's characters.
They mightve wanted to reference what people remember of the DK franchise, or maybe the young blood there wasnt in EPD when they made Jungle Beat, so its not "their" baby.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They can add in a New K. Rool Mode to capitalize on his Smash popularity.

I mean, I think he'd work surprisingly well over DK I'm that game.
I really hope the next DKC features K Rool. Maybe not as the main villain, but as a secret unlockable character or something. Like he's old and retired in the swamps of DK Island, and after you find him, he comically rips off his old man beard, stands up straight and now you can play as K Rool.

Or go the other direction and retcon DKC:R and DK:TF to have K Rool be the true mastermind behind those two games' villains in his longest con ever.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo does another reboot of the DK series with a brand new aesthetic I think people are going to get fed up with Nintendo's creative control on that IP.

DK has such an identity crisis on what its' main look even is. The Returns style was "the" look of the franchise for the past 9 years and influenced how DKC was presented in outside appearances like MK8, Smash 4, and now Super Nintendo World. Then we have Smash Ultimate clearly sticking to the Rare games for the majority of the DKC representation.

Ideally whoever the next developer is on the series will unify the two styles. Take the environments of the Returns series and combine it with the character cast of the Rare series.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube era EAD was just really weird with experimenting with different art styles. Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Sunshine, and Jungle Beat all had really distinct and weird looks that weren't the typical norm. Some of them like Wind Waker were a hit while others like Jungle Beat were never spoken of again.
Considering what it was originally developed for, we have to include Twilight Princess in this list.

Because holy shit Twilight Princess has some weird stuff.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It was either this or not have "Everyone is here!"

Were you willing to make that sacrifice?

Naw. I don't really mind the waiting between the updates since I would able to focus on finish the backlog.

I think I'm almost done with Dragon Quest (again I think). I decided to take a looks at the arts. I was blown away with the fact that DQ1 MC is a blonde! I always thought he had black hairs.

694XPOd.png

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
DK has such an identity crisis on what its' main look even is. The Returns style was "the" look of the franchise for the past 9 years and influenced how DKC was presented in outside appearances like MK8, Smash 4, and now Super Nintendo World. Then we have Smash Ultimate clearly sticking to the Rare games for the majority of the DKC representation.

Sometimes, Sakurai/Smash kind of march to the beat of their own drums. See: Kirby

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo does another reboot of the DK series with a brand new aesthetic I think people are going to get fed up with Nintendo's creative control on that IP.

Ideally whoever the next developer is on the series will unify the two styles. Take the environments of the Returns series and combine it with the character cast of the Rare series.
Ultimate's redesign of Kongo Falls is kinda sorta a marrying of the two styles as it took a level loosely based in Rare's designs from Melee and redesigned the trees to look like they do in Returns.
SSBU-Kongo_Falls.jpg

Kinda?

(interestingly the tree design in Jungle Japes was left alone)

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really hope the next DKC features K Rool. Maybe not as the main villain, but as a secret unlockable character or something. Like he's old and retired in the swamps of DK Island, and after you find him, he comically rips off his old man beard, stands up straight and now you can play as K Rool.

Or go the other direction and retcon DKC:R and DK:TF to have K Rool be the true mastermind behind those two games' villains in his longest con ever.
Id take a new DKC with King K. Rool as the villian. Would be a good way to close out the reboot trilogy (if it even is one).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Naw. I don't really mind the waiting between the updates since I would able to focus on finish the backlog.

I think I'm almost done with Dragon Quest (again I think). I decided to take a looks at the arts. I was blown away with the fact that DQ1 MC is a blonde! I always thought he had black hairs.

694XPOd.png

I'm pretty sure they gave him blonde hair in those arcade games to make him look different from Erdrick when he isn't wearing a helmet. He clearly has black eyebrows in old artwork.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visually there's something I love about the SNES trilogy visually that not a single DK game since has been able to recapture.

Mar 9, 2018

I kind of disagree, I think they should ditch the environments from the Retro games too. They should go full on OG SNES DKC style, trying to recreate the darkness of the original games, but with the dynamism of the Retro games. But the art style should lean hard on the SNES DKCs.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because Kongo Falls is mostly a generic "Donkey Kong Country" stage not really tied to a specific location or game, but Jungle Japes is a DK64 stage, specifically
800px-SSBU-Jungle_Japes.png

So the trees more closely resemble the ones found in Donkey Kong 64
hqdefault.jpg
The only thing Jungle Japes really takes from the DK64 stage is Cranky having lab equipment in his house and the name, I always thought it was weird that they named it as such. It always looked to me more like a GCN reimagining of the the sunset jungle design used in Kongo Jungle 64, which was based on a specific stage from the original Donkey Kong Country (which wasn't actually in Kongo Jungle?).

As much as I like the aesthetic of the newly remodeled Melee DK stages in Ultimate I always thought it was weak that it took until 4 to get a DK stage that actually looked like a place from an actual post Donkey Kong Country game.

Still have no idea what Rumble Falls was supposed to be.

Mar 9, 2018
Considering what it was originally developed for, we have to include Twilight Princess in this list.

Because holy shit Twilight Princess has some weird stuff.
I hope one day we get a game that looks closer to the concept art in TP. I think it still holds up. TP, the game itself, is a little harder to look at. Maybe it was just too hard to translate given the technology at the time. And maybe it's too expensive now.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

694XPOd.png
This seemed like such an obvious alt Erdrick color to go for that I'm surprised it didn't happen.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The only thing Jungle Japes really takes from the DK64 stage is Cranky having lab equipment in his house and the name, I always thought it was weird that they named it as such. It always looked to me more like a GCN reimagining of the the sunset jungle design used in Kongo Jungle 64, which was based on a specific stage from the original Donkey Kong Country (which wasn't actually in Kongo Jungle?).

As much as I like the aesthetic of the newly remodeled Melee DK stages in Ultimate I always thought it was weak that it took until 4 to get a DK stage that actually looked like a place from an actual post Donkey Kong Country game.

Still have no idea what Rumble Falls was supposed to be.
On the surface, Jungle Japes doesn't seem to relate to DK64 at all, but it does follow the more abstract "this stage is from this game and this location but it's not exactly" style Melee used for a number of its stages.

Rainbow Cruise is only sorta based on Rainbow Ride/Cruise
Pokemon Stadium is a vague interpretation of Pokemon Stadium
Temple isn't really a specific area in Zelda II
Big Blue is very loosely based on Big Blue from F-Zero X

It was a thing with Melee stages. Jungle Japes is clearly loosely based on the same stage from DK64, just with many liberties taken and no specific set pieces from DK64, besides Cranky's Shack, which grounds the stage firmly as a DK64 stage

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Temple is meant to be an amalgamation of some of the palaces in Zelda 2. The colour palette suggests it's meant to be Parapa Palace (it's the only palace with grey tiles), but the circular shape of the stage with the cavernous elements might suggest it's also taking from Grand Palace.
It's kind of like how Planet Zebes/Brinstar is an amalgamation of several Metroid locations.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
As technology has improved, I feel like we lost something going from stages that evoke their source material but aren't specific locations in games to more that are "this stage is basically ripped out of the source game" kinds of stages.

I guess it helped that a bunch of stages in Smash 64 and Melee were based on games that weren't in 3D. There was no 3D model of Saffron City, or the Zelda II Temples, or Brinstar Depths, so it was really cool to see some creative flexes and liberties being taken to make them feel like that's how they'd look if the games had been 3D.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As technology has improved, I feel like we lost something going from stages that evoke their source material but aren't specific locations in games to more that are "this stage is basically ripped out of the source game" kinds of stages.

I guess it helped that a bunch of stages in Smash 64 and Melee were based on games that weren't in 3D. There was no 3D model of Saffron City, or the Zelda II Temples, or Brinstar Depths, so it was really cool to see some creative flexes and liberties being taken to make them feel like that's how they'd look if the games had been 3D.
Yea I agree. We sort of at least get that with Dracula's castle, and now also memento's to an extent.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They can still do that "loosely based on the location" thing, but theyd have to do it design now, and not by necessity like in the past.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brawl was like half in half on that front - stuff like Castle Siege, Lylat Cruise, or Luigi's Mansion were more concepts represented than specific areas from a game, but then there's also things like the retro levels, Delfino and Bridge of Eldin which are pretty clear locations.
Smash 4 has taken the certain locations from game X to 11 though lol.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Rumble Falls, no stage in smash has quite managed to miss the mark so hard in both representing the game it comes from whilst also being a crap stage filled with nonsense that feels like sloppy seconds of both SSE and stage builder.

Oh and as far as the talk of pacing goes with character reveals, at least it's not Street Fighter V season...4? season Kage? maybe in August we'll finally know!

Daily reminder that the reason that Sunshine's enemies are all wack as fuck looking is because they're all creations of Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush

747px-ESMB_Bowser_Jr_Graffiti.png

This game's enemy characters are created by Bowser Jr.'s scribbling. That is why they are weak to water, and differ slightly in design from the rest of the series. Yoshi also vanishes if he falls in water for the same reason.

I honestly assumed they looked odd because they were just tropical subspecies of the enemies seen in the Mushroom Kingdom
The lore I needed all these years, so much sense being made right now.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
You get New Donk City, Great Plateau Tower, Moray Towers sort of, Dragon Quest Altar sort of(?) and Spiral Mountain for the stages that are heavily based on the source material.

Dracula's Castle and Mementos for the loosely based stages.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You get New Donk City, Great Plateau Tower, Moray Towers sort of, Dragon Quest Altar sort of(?) and Spiral Mountain for the stages that are heavily based on the source material.

Dracula's Castle and Mementos for the loosely based stages.

Dracula's Castle is a recreation of the throne room where you fight Dracula at the end of Castlevania.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Ah Rumble Falls, no stage in smash has quite managed to miss the mark so hard in both representing the game it comes from whilst also being a crap stage filled with nonsense that feels like sloppy seconds of both SSE and stage builder.
I'm convinced that Rumble Falls must've been Brawl's equivalent of that weird Melee debug testing stage with the pub background, but then as they were finishing up development they went "oh shit the only new DK stage we have is 75m" and so they threw DK-ish textures on everything.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like New Pork City gets close, though I guess the point is that NPC is supposed to be a chaotic mess that makes no sense and is painful to deal with.

But floating platforms haphazardly strewn about in front of a nice backdrop doesn't really feel like a city to me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
You can almost get away with New Pork by pointing out that it's supposed to be an illusion of a city, but I also wouldn't want to let the level designers off the hook for that mess.
Still at least it's got the floor door and limo I guess.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Brawl was like half in half on that front - stuff like Castle Siege, Lylat Cruise, or Luigi's Mansion were more concepts represented than specific areas from a game, but then there's also things like the retro levels, Delfino and Bridge of Eldin which are pretty clear locations.
Smash 4 has taken the certain locations from game X to 11 though lol.
At least Smash 4 3DS still had a bunch of vaguely related to the main area stages. Magicant, Arena Fenox, Tortimer Island, Find Mii and Tomodachi life were more abstract than just porting a location 1:1.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
My two least favorite methods of stage design:

1. Awkardly directly porting over a stage layout from a different game with completely different mechanics and expecting it to work in Smash (75m, Hanenbow, Mushroomy Kingdom)
2. Just making the stage consist of discrete platforms floating in front of where the action should actually be (New Pork City, Smashville, Midgar)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I've got many notable third party stage wants for potential DLC but...

al_rotary.jpg

3C5zJbb73ELUzvoMXDGUwk.jpg

Anor Londo from Dark Souls

Monte d'Or from Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
(remember when Layton was a thing? ahh, the good ol' days)

1. Awkardly directly porting over a stage layout from a different game with completely different mechanics and expecting it to work in Smash (75m, Hanenbow, Mushroomy Kingdom)
2. Just making the stage consist of discrete platforms floating in front of where the action should actually be (New Pork City, Smashville, Midgar)
No disagreements here, there's something about floating fight area in front of the actual game area that's sooooo underwhelming

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same, especially in the latter case. It's such a banal approach to level design where you stick a few platforms together in front of a pretty backdrop.

I don't know what happened between Melee and Brawl that made the level design be drained of everything organic and just become barren platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.