• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think the next poll should be whether or not we think the General Direct will be in September or October.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, September is a packed month.

On the other hand, I want the Direct sooner rather than later. (Plus we need to know more about Nintendo's plans for SNES games on Switch.)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm sure we'd all rather have the Direct in September, it just depends on if Nintendo thinks that month is too crowded.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo in September 2017 had Pokken Tournament DX, Yokai Watch 2 and Metroid: Return of Samus in the same month and still had a Nintendo Direct. And that was still when they wanted 3DS software to sell quite a bit. That matches the number of major first party published titles for September 2019 they want to promote.

I'm not saying a Nintendo Direct has to come in September, but I am saying the number of titles coming out of this month has no impact on whether or not a Direct will appear.

Last edited:

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'd just get a version 5.0 teaser in a September Direct, similar to what we got in February. I don't think we'll hear about the fourth character until October at the earliest.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
What's being published in Q4, excluding Pokemon? Luigi's Mansion 3 and NuWakening? What's the Direct centerpiece? If there's none, I think they would wait 'till October or later.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I see the logic of "there's too many games coming in september, we can't have a direct" when a direct in early september would be a perfect spot to highly games coming that month alongside new games for winter

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'd just get a version 5.0 teaser in a September Direct, similar to what we got in February. I don't think we'll hear about the fourth character until October at the earliest.

So how do you think they'd actually reveal him/her, then? Do what they did with Robin back in Smash 4 and livestream the reveal?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
So how do you think they'd actually reveal him/her, then? Do what they did with Robin back in Smash 4 and livestream the reveal?
Yeah, if the general Direct is in September then I think there will be a dedicated stream (whether it's Robin style or a mini Direct) in October or November covering the fourth fighter.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking at the assist trophy page on the smash site—what's up with this image:

assistfigure_main01_02.jpg

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure both last year and the year before had Nindie presentations in the end of August and main Directs a few weeks after in September

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Pretty sure both last year and the year before had Nindie presentations in the end of August and main Directs a few weeks after in September
Yeah, they did (I mentioned it the other day):

2017: Nindies Showcase (August 30) - Nintendo Direct (September 13)
2018: Nindies Showcase (August 28) - Nintendo Direct (September 13; originally scheduled for September 6)
2019: Indie World (August 19) - Nintendo Direct (September 5?)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't say I see the logic of "there's too many games coming in september, we can't have a direct" when a direct in early september would be a perfect spot to highly games coming that month alongside new games for winter

Because all the marketing and hype for new games will distract from the games coming out in 2-3 weeks. From Nintendo's perspective, I can't imagine the downside of waiting until later.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they did (I mentioned it the other day):

2017: Nindies Showcase (August 30) - Nintendo Direct (September 13)
2018: Nindies Showcase (August 28) - Nintendo Direct (September 13; originally scheduled for September 6)

Daemon X Machina comes out on September 13th this year.

(Has Nintendo ever had a General Direct on the exact same day as a game's release like that?)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Daemon X Machina comes out on September 13th this year.

(Has Nintendo ever had a General Direct on the exact same day as a game's release like that?)
2017's September Direct was the day before Samus Returns launched.

But since they seem to come two weeks after the indie presentation, we would probably be looking at September 5th; a nice little pocket between Astral Chain and Daemon.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im leaning toward October, but it's a coin toss either way. Just figure there's a chance of it being late, since we didn't get the first Direct of the year until February which was a break from the norm.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
2017's General Direct was the day before Samus Returns launched.

But since they seem to come two weeks after the indie presentation, we would probably be looking at September 5th; a nice little pocket between Astral Chain and Daemon.

I kinda feel a bit bad for Daemon X Machina. It isn't getting the spotlight like Astral Chain or some of the other September releases (like Link's Awakening and Dragon Quest).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I kinda feel a bit bad for Daemon X Machina. It isn't getting the spotlight like Astral Chain or some of the other September releases (like Link's Awakening and Dragon Quest).
Probably becuase Nintendo isn't publishing Daemon in Japan. It only makes sense for them to focus more on Astral Chain, which they are publishing everywhere (and Dragon Quest obviously needed that Smash synergy, which is why it got a lot more attention).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Nintendo owns Astral Chain. That's their IP.

And Nintendo isn't publishing Dragon Quest XI S in Japan either.
I know that; that's why they are pushing it way more than Daemon.

I adressed that in an edit to my above post. Daemon can't have that Smash synergy (and I wouldn''t be surprised if Square wanted them to really push it or something; we saw it in both general directs this year, and if the fall direct is in September, we'll probably see it again).

Though, Daemon has been in every general Direct since it's reveal (E3 2018, September 2018, February 2019, E3 2019) so it isn't like they aren't trying...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know that; that's why they are pushing it way more than Daemon.

I adressed that in an edit to my above post. Daemon can't have that Smash synergy (and I wouldn''t be surprised if Square wanted them to really push it or something; we saw it in both general directs this year, and if the fall direct is in September, we'll probably see it again).

Though, Daemon has been in every general Direct since it's reveal (E3 2018, September 2018, February 2019, E3 2019) so it isn't like they aren't trying...

What? You think Square Enix really wanted Masahiro Sakurai & Nintendo to push Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, launching on September 27th exclusively on Nintendo Switch?

That's some crazy talk right there. 😉

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Random observation: at some point in the past week or so, a promotional link to the DQXIS site was added to Hero's page on the Japanese Ultimate site. He's the only character with one of these.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I also just noticed something random. The Japanese Banjo trailer has more views than the English one.

1,650,877 vs. 1,897,340

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also keep in mind that the first video for the Banjo trailer is the reupload by Gamespot.

That one has 2.1 mil

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What? You think Square Enix really wanted Masahiro Sakurai & Nintendo to push Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, launching on September 27th exclusively on Nintendo Switch?

I'd imagine that Nintendo was also asking for the push.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine that Nintendo was also asking for the push.

So you're saying that Square Enix AND Nintendo wanted Masahiro Sakurai to push Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, launching on September 27th exclusively on Nintendo Switch?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying that Square Enix AND Nintendo wanted Masahiro Sakurai to push Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, launching on September 27th exclusively on Nintendo Switch?

What's this Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, launching on September 27th exclusively on Nintendo Switch you guys are talking about? Is this something I can pre-order on eShop or at a local game retailer?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Since DQ11 is a Nintendo published title (at least in the west), does that mean there's a low chance it will go on sale soon after release? Since that often happens with Square games on the Switch.

Just wondering if I should day 1 it with my voucher or not.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of funny that Hero is the only newcomer from a new game specifically on Switch, and even that is a re-release.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Smash Wii U/3DS didn't have much from the Wii U era.
It didn't, but the 3DS characters that were added weren't that old relative to its release. But either way I was just thinking it was amusing that Hero has a promotion link because he's the only DLC with something to promote-- P5R isn't on Nintendo and Banjo is just.... kind of floating around in the ether I guess lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I wonder what that new Smash mode could be (or was; if it was cut during development). It's definitely a lot harder to predict than new Games & More and Online additions, since there isn't really any precedence or hints to look at. Keeping in mind that it would probably be a Special Smash mode (alongside Custom Smash, Super Sudden Death and Smashdown), what ideas do we have?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Trailers are regional so Europe will split the numbers even further since each language has their own upload (just so the title of the video is in the right language).

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
imagine if evrey character had a link

captian falcon to used gx copies on amazon

Lucas to Rom sites

rob to Mario kart ds
Nintendo would probably link Lucas to a Japan Immigration Tutorial or something.

Unlike digitally unified Corrin, Pokemon links would need randomization. At least they could stick to Sw... oh snap.

With Richter, Nintendo could link to a PS4 compilation, or to PC Engine auctions... but they could look for those Wiis with Rondo on eBay, but one's supposed to give up Wii Shop stuff when selling a Wii, so that's kinda interesting, until one remembers Dracula X.

This doesn't quite reach Lucas/ROB levels, but I'm going to finish with quite a kerfuffle. Does Shulk link to XC2 DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.