• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I read your post on this.

New modes don't interest me enough to discuss.
Nor online modes. Since i Don't play online.

Only thing I would like is an expansion on World Of light, which isn't going to happen. or A better Stage Builder, which should be much better then what got.

It would be nice if they could add more features to Stage Builders over the time but I seriously doubt that it would happens. And WoL expansion with more bosses and locations (references) woul make me geeking out.

I genuinely don't want a proper Smash sequel for a long time, if ever. I'd prefer a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe style update in a few years that adds a bunch of characters, stages, items, and modes to Ultimate, along with a UI refresh. The big selling point could be a 100 character roster (including echoes, of course).

Same here. Sakurai said it was difficult enough to make it happens for Ultimate since he said he had to "twist some arms" to do that. So Would we get everyone back again next time? My answer to that is a fat NO due to many reasons. I'm satisfied with Ultimate because the roster is amazing as it is, and what would make it even better is another season pass(es). :P

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I genuinely don't want a proper Smash sequel for a long time, if ever. I'd prefer a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe style update in a few years that adds a bunch of characters, stages, items, and modes to Ultimate, along with a UI refresh. The big selling point could be a 100 character roster (including echoes, of course).
With the arrival of a new system I'd absolute want a proper new Smash Bros. game; but that system is a concept too far away to even think or worry about, in my opinion. Smash Ultimate will be enough for years and years, and even if the next interation doesn't achieve Ultimate's peak (and probably won't), that's fine as well, as long its something different/unique.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wasn't exactly an appealing update either, imo. If wasn't for my bf wanting to play with some friends living far from us, I probably wouldn't even bother buying it. At least your suggestion of a new UI, Menus and Aesthetics are more interesting than just doing with MK8DX did. Basically Marvel vs. Capcom 3 to Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

I still want an actual Mario Kart game made for Switch though :p

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm fine with them itterating on Ultimate for awhile. Is there really any good reason to start from scratch and completely scrap the whole point of Ultimate (Everyone is Here)?

I know Ultimate will (most likely) leave us off at 82 fighters, but 100 still seems like A LOT. At that point, they could just merge Century Smash and All-Star Smash into one mode; lol.

Blaze, I don't know how popular she is but when it comes down to Sonic characters, I often heard more requests toward to Knuckles, Tails, Shadow and Eggman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be dismissive toward to Blaze but I just can't see her being a correct choice of echo fighters.
Knuckles, Tails and Eggman don't really work as Echo Fighters though. At the very least, Shadow and Blaze were both practically identical to Sonic gameplay-wise in their debut games (with some minor differences that would change their specials a bit in Smash).

As for popularity... it's surprisingly hard to find official poll placements.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I wish that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe actually get new expansion. 16 new tracks would revitalize the game for me for awhile, and it's weird how quiet they have been with Mario Kart Tour.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai and his team are in a really tough spot. I've become too invested in all of these characters (and the general video game museum that Smash has become) to care about a rebooted sequel with a bunch of cuts.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
You know what I would like from Smash as a fighter?

An original character. I would like to see what Sakurai and his team can make. I know why they wouldn't or need too, but it would be pretty cool.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sakurai and his team are in a really tough spot. I'm too invested in all of these characters (and the general video game museum that Smash has become) to care about a rebooted sequel with a bunch of cuts.

That's why it's truly Super Smash Bros. Special.

I'm sure whatever Sakurai does with the next Smash will be great, but I'm not sure it'll fulfill me anywhere near as much as Ultimate.

Oct 28, 2017
iDWBlIS.png

#wheresdixie
Next time they return to this setting, the Kongs, K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie are going to be pranked by either
Greninja disguised as Zitz/Pimple/Rash
or
ROB disguised as Fulgore

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't think I'd return to Mario Kart 8, even if they added way more content out of blue. By the time Deluxe launched, I was so done with the game already..

Now Nitro-Fueled is my main kart racer on Switch and I'm satisfied as well, but certainly I feel a gap of a Nintendo system without a Mario Kart to call its own.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I know I cheated the way to get 100 but it does make a sense (at least to myself tho).

I know people probably don't share same feelings as I do but it's pretty crazy that we're approaching at 100 characters with Hero. I know some alt costumes doesn't matters to you but I just like them because Sakurai actually go far as it goes with some alt costumes.
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Dark Link
  5. Samus
  6. Dark Samus
  7. Yoshi
  8. Kirby
  9. Fox
  10. Pikachu
  11. Pikachu Libre (Pokken character)
  12. Luigi
  13. Ness
  14. Captain Falcon
  15. Blood Falcon
  16. Jigglypuff
  17. Peach
  18. Daisy
  19. Bowser
  20. Ice Climbers
  21. Sheik
  22. Zelda
  23. Dr. Mario
  24. Pichu
  25. Falco
  26. Marth
  27. Lucina
  28. Young Link
  29. Ganondorf
  30. Mewtwo
  31. Roy
  32. Chrom
  33. Mr. Game & Watch
  34. Meta Knight
  35. Dark Meta Knight
  36. Pit
  37. Dark Pit
  38. Zero Suit Samus
  39. Wario
  40. Solid Snake
  41. Ike
  42. Pokemon Trainer: Red
  43. Pokemon Trainer: Leaf
  44. Squirtle
  45. Ivysaur
  46. Charizard
  47. Diddy Kong
  48. Lucas
  49. Sonic
  50. King Dedede
  51. Pikmin & Olimar
  52. Pikmin & Alph
  53. Lucario
  54. R.O.B
  55. Toon Link
  56. Shadow Link
  57. Wolf
  58. Villager (Male)
  59. Villager (Female)
  60. Mega Man
  61. Wii Fit Trainer
  62. Rosalina & Luma
  63. Little Mac
  64. Greninja
  65. Mii Brawler
  66. Mii Gunner
  67. Mii Swordfighter
  68. Palutena
  69. PAC-MAN
  70. Robin (Male)
  71. Robin (Female)
  72. Shulk
  73. Bowser Jr.
  74. Larry
  75. Roy
  76. Wendy
  77. Iggy
  78. Morton
  79. Lemmy
  80. Ludwig
  81. Duck Hunt
  82. Ryu
  83. Ken
  84. Cloud
  85. Corrin (Male)
  86. Corrin (Female)
  87. Bayonetta
  88. Inkling (Female)
  89. Inkling (Male)
  90. Agent 3
  91. Ridley
  92. Simon Belmont
  93. Richter Belmont
  94. King K. Rool
  95. Isabelle
  96. Incineroar
  97. Piranha Plant
  98. Joker
  99. Luminary
  100. Eight
  101. Solo
  102. Erdrick
  103. Banjo-Kazooie

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Genuinely never thought I would see the day where Smash has 80+ characters and Dixie Kong isn't one of them.

Good thing K. Rool got in first.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Sakurai and his team are in a really tough spot. I've become too invested in all of these characters (and the general video game museum that Smash has become) to care about a rebooted sequel with a bunch of cuts.
I kinda want Sakurai to step away of Smash after Ultimate to see what other Director would take the series, frankly. That way I'd swallow better a reformulation in the roster, mechanics and anything they feel like. a fresh start with a fresh commander. Surely that new person wouldn't ignore much of the series legacy, but would still be an entire new mindset;

Ultimate will be still Sakurai's best and they don't need to try to beat that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Genuinely never thought I would see the day where Smash has 80+ characters and Dixie Kong isn't one of them.

Good thing K. Rool got in first.
In the alternate timeline where Brawl had less development disasters (not finding a dedicated team to work on Subspace, the Sonic delay) this wouldn't be a problem.

If only Dixie was a three-time Smash veteran (counting 3DS and Wii U) in Ultimate... if only...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully 8 is my favourite Mario Kart (especially with Deluxe), so i'm really fine with it.

That being said... I really wish Deluxe got track DLC.
It's a great game, but I put in hundreds of hours on wii u and however much more then for awhile for deluxe. I just can't play it anymore. It's litetally going theough the motions since I know every track, every shortcut, etc.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
In the alternate timeline where Brawl had less development disasters (not finding a dedicated team to work on Subspace, the Sonic delay) this wouldn't be a problem.

If only Dixie was a three-time Smash veteran (counting 3DS and Wii U) in Ultimate... if only...

I heard that they had some plans for more newcomers (which surprised me because they really added a lot of newcomers in Brawl) but it was dropped due to multiple reasons like mainly because of development hell they had.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I didn't buy any of the Wii U ports on Switch, actually. I still have my Wii U hooked up and even games that are getting announced for Switch that I currently don't own, I usually prefer to wait to find a cheap Wii U copy.

None are super appealing upgrades, besides maybe Captain Toad having a complete new set of levels and DLC on top of that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's a great game, but I put in hundreds of hours on wii u and however much more then for awhile for deluxe. I just can't play it anymore. It's litetally going theough the motions since I know every track, every shortcut, etc.
Oh trust me; combining both versions I have over 500 hours of play time in that game; and I can still play it from time to time.

I think the music being amazing helps.

I heard that they had some plans for more newcomers (which surprised me because they really added a lot of newcomers in Brawl) but it was dropped due to multiple reasons like mainly because of development hell they had.
I would imagine that more characters would've happened if the development strain of Subspace was lifted from them. At the very least, I think Mewtwo, Roy and Dr. Mario would've made the cut.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Ultimate is the calmest Development cycle Smash has had.

Melee is Probably the worst.

I think Brawl is probably worst one out of all, and Melee being second.

Edited:

It's probably like this

Brawl > Melee > Smash 4 > Smash 64 > Ultimate

Ultimate being calmest Development because they had a same team that worked with them, so they were experienced enough to make the development become more smoother.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Ultimate is the calmest Development cycle Smash has had.

Melee is Probably the worst.
By the developers' own admission, Ultimate had the most relaxed overall development time.

Melee was the most stressful; short weekends, no holidays, "destructive" development cycle.

Smash 4 was the longest.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Yea, Brawl's development seems like a disaster

64 seems like the hardest part was just convincing Nintendo that it was a viable idea. Other than that, I get the impression it was more of a hobby project.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm just saying, if they released Smash Ultimate Turbo as a launch title for the Super Switch, and had Dixie and Bomberman?

Day 1 buy.

Personally I wouldn't want Dixie attached to Diddy. Diminishes both characters. Plus a big reason K. Rool got so many votes was the lack of a DK newcomer. If Dixie was in and we were asking for K. Rool, I fear there'd be a lot of "DK fans are greedy" nonsense.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl may have been hectic due to its scope but I think Melee's very constrained development time has it beat out in my book

That's true but it's possible that brawl could have constrained development time but they chose to not mention it. And I recalled Sakurai spoke some regrets he had with Brawl development, and you didn't even hear that with Melee development tho. Maybe I should take a look into all old interviews again for fun and get full idea from it if I could.

Yea, Brawl's development seems like a disaster

64 seems like the hardest part was just convincing Nintendo that it was a viable idea. Other than that, I get the impression it was more of a hobby project.

Thanks to Iwata's white lie that Smash Bros managed to get approve for full development.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I try to not even think about everyone not being back for the next game, especially third party characters, but first party ones likely to be cut too, like Lucas. I wonder how they'll handle things going forward.

It doesn't help that Ultimate feels like such a leap in quality from a gameplay perspective too (and I loved 4!), so it's not like I'll want to keep playing Ultimate forever after the next game is out and ends up being even better.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Personally I wouldn't want Dixie attached to Diddy. Diminishes both characters. Plus a big reason K. Rool got so many votes was the lack of a DK newcomer. If Dixie was in and we were asking for K. Rool, I fear there'd be a lot of "DK fans are greedy" nonsense.
If Dixie made it into Brawl, she wouldn't have ended up attached to Diddy. That may have been the original idea, but based on her placement internally (dead last), it seems like they attempted to add her again as a seperate character during the Sonic delay.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Dixie made it into Brawl, she wouldn't have ended up attached to Diddy. That may have been the original idea, but based on her placement internally (dead last), it seems like they attempted to add her again as a seperate character during the Sonic delay.

I wonder why they didn't add her during the Smash 4 days. Was whatever work they did for Brawl completely unusable?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I love the X'd out veterans that were cut.

AVENGE THE FALLEN

ESRBleak1.png

I was thought it was pretty weird how Mewtwo just had a question mark on him instead of an X like all the other cut characters. It makes me wonder if whoever made this image at the time had vaguely heard that Mewtwo was gonna be a DLC character.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder why they didn't make Samus and Fox as 3rd and 4th for character selection based on their inclusions (I know they probably went with the orders of 64 character selection) but still.

Quote from interview

Iwata and Sakurai made a prototype with Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus, and Fox as the four playable characters, for a one-shot, bet-it-all-on-this pitch.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why they didn't add her during the Smash 4 days. Was whatever work they did for Brawl completely unusable?

I think the problem is that Smash 4's first party lineup was heavily reliant on popular Wii/3DS era games that were out by the time Sakurai planned the roster back in early 2012. Dixie wasn't relevant again until Tropical Freeze which Sakurai most likely didn't know about the time, so she wasn't made a priority.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
To me, it sounds like the original Diddy-Dixie tag team idea was just a concept that didn't make it that far. As for her second wind during the Sonic delay; seeing as her internal placement was last (ignoring the third parties, who are always last), it was probably a very short lived attempt at adding her.

Probably? I don't think any of the Smash 4 characters reuse Brawl assets. Mewtwo was completely rebuilt as well.
Nah; plenty of veterans in Smash 4 reused models or even annimations (just touched up a bit). Diddy and Charizard are the best (or, well, worst) examples.

Did you know that Luigi still has Brawl textures under his hat?

SSB4WiiU-Luigi_Hat.png

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the hype cycle for Smash 4 will ever be topped for me. I like how short Ultimate's was. But Smash 4 had both the benefits of daily photos/info like Brawl had and newcomer trailers at Nintendo Directs. A veteran could be revealed on any random week and we eagerly awaited a newcomer trailer anytime a Direct got announced.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Diddy is essentially Brawl Diddy with a new texture.

It's not like it was a drag and drop though:
  • Due to the aesthetic used in SSB4, Diddy Kong's attire is sleeker and more vibrant, and his fur is of a significantly higher visual quality than in Brawl. His hat's Nintendo logo has also been updated, his head is very slightly smaller, and his teeth are white instead of beige. Altogether, these changes make Diddy Kong appear virtually identical to his appearance as of Donkey Kong Country Returns.
  • Diddy Kong is significantly more expressive.
Point is, I doubt Dixie was far along enough that anything was salvageable.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Diddy looked so awful in Smash 4 lol

Diddy_Kong_SSB4.png

Like, what the shit is this render? It hardly even looks like a 3D model. It almost looks like a Smashified render.

Meanwhile, in Ultimate...

579px-Diddy_Kong_SSBU.png

The difference is like, night and day.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I want lots of costumes next game. It's not fair that only Mario gets his wedding costume, give Bowser his as well.
And Dry Bowser and Meowser.

Status
Not open for further replies.