• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was actually just wondering about a sort of "Ultimate 2."

I know Smash is usually one per Gen but Ultimate feels like such a unique occurrence in terms of Smash that I wonder if a Galaxy 2 style iteration might be possible?

Like most agree that something like "Everyone is Here" would be hard to pull off again for a whole new game that I maybe they could add on to Ultimate and then start fresh with Nintendo's next gen console.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

I know Smash is usually one per Gen but Ultimate feels like such a unique occurrence in terms of Smash that I wonder if a Galaxy 2 style iteration might be possible?

Like most agree that something like "Everyone is Here" would be hard to pull off again for a whole new game that I maybe they could add on to Ultimate and then start fresh with Nintendo's next gen console.
An iteration on Ultimate would be pretty pointless on the current Switch. Sequels to Breath of the Wild and Odyssey being on the same system as their predecessors works; but that doesn't feel right for the type of game that Smash is.

But for Nintendo's next platform (or iteration of the Switch; depending on how they handle things)? That's where I think we'll see an updated rerelease of Ultimate.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well hey, VR Plant's Gears X Halo thing came true (as expected).

Wonder if we'll actually get any Smash leaks from them; lol.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Do we even have any idea of how the next smash would require in terms of resources? I understand that starting anew on a new platform would require a lot of resources, but is it possible to still use the same engine? It still looks pretty good and could last to the next generation.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

But then it becomes a question of why they would split the player base, as it's basically the same stunt that SSFIV, UMvC3, & GGXrd: Revelator pulled. Even Capcom has done away with that approach in recent years, & Arc System Works is likely not far behind.

Of course, if we're talking the next Nintendo system, that's another discussion entirely.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Wait a moment, what the heck? (I freely admit I never used 3DS as a Wii U Smash controller.) Is there any sense or reason to this? Sounds as arbitrary as locking people out of New Donk City if they're using, I dunno, a 32 GiB microSD card...
The 3DS controller messed with the Wii U's WiFi. It wouldn't have been able to pull posts at the same time as the 3DS was hooked up

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

What would be the point of that? Isn't that just charging another $60 for dlc-oooh.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So, we're going to start getting suggestions for Jacket (Hotline Miami) after this indie presentation is over, right?

Ori is off-limits, obviously. Can't be playable in Rivals and Smash, right?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Sora was never happening.

After all, there was no Bowser in Wreck It Ralph 2. Also Nintendo is building a theme park land with Universal instead of Disney.

#Non-GamingConsoleWars

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Netflix not being on the Switch is very annoying because I have to use the built in app from my 2014 TV that takes 5 minutes to log in and the onscreen keyboard barely functions.

I miss being able to use the Wii U to just hop onto Netflix/Prime Video whenever I wanted. My TV doesn't even have a Prime Video app, it's literally just Netflix and nothing else, so I haven't watched Prime Video in years.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Netflix not being on the Switch is very annoying because I have to use the built in app from my 2014 TV that takes 5 minutes to log in and the onscreen keyboard barely functions.

I miss being able to use the Wii U to just hop onto Netflix/Prime Video whenever I wanted. My TV doesn't even have a Prime Video app, it's literally just Netflix and nothing else, so I haven't watched Prime Video in years.
I was in a similar position. Recomend getting an Amazon Fire Stick. Relatively cheap, like £35 quid I think and pretty much runs any android app I use it for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Music, Youtube and Twitch.

My TV has the Netflix and Prime apps built in but strangely it forces the motion processing on which sucks. Got a 4K Firestick and never looked back.

But yes it would be nice if Nintendo allowed some basic day to day apps that we expect from most modern entertainment devices.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it seems like nintendo takes stuff like criticism to an extreme. They thought people didn't want vc at all, wanted a more clean and simple ui, wanted games to come first. They went after those "issues", but not the right way.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
I stand by that Crash and Sans are the last two characters, with each representing something not in smash yet (No big western character heavily associated with a third party with crash seeming like the most popular pic for one, and Undertale is probably the indie game with the best chance to get in because of its popularity in Japan as well as the U.S. with a sequel in development).

People like Jill, Ninja Ryu, and Rayman don't have the pizzazz of being "OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ADDED THEM TO SMASH" that most of the dlc third party characters have had

Ryu - Most popular traditional fighting game character by a lot
Cloud - PlayStation Exclusive, had never been on a Nintendo console (except for KH Chain of Memories)
Bayonetta- From a niche third party series that is heavily associated with Nintendo. (Bayo is too violent!)
Joker - From a niche PlayStation exclusive series, that had very limited exposure on Nintendo platforms
Hero - From a mostly popular in Japan series that among the best selling series of all time in Japan, they even had school holidays when a new dragon quest came out for a while
Banjo - Owned by Microsoft, has been out of commission for 10 years and hasn't had a mainline platforming game since 2000 (not counting the gba one)

What do Jill and Ninja Ryu do?

Jill - Reps Resident evil, a fairly popular japanese series, but doesn't really break new ground. sure she's popular but usually the not crazy dlc characters that are expected at this point.
Ninja Ryu is just another classic NES rep like Megaman or Simon who is a lot less popular then both of them. There isn't a huge ninja gaiden fanbase nowadays unlike megaman or castlevania, so I don't really see a way that he gets in.

Crash represents another Rival to nintendo in the playstation 1 era who managed to get popular in Japan and America as an edgy alternative to mario, sort of like Sonic.

Sans represents Indie games and is here because he kind of represents the indie dream in a way, make a game heavily inspired by but different to a classic, get funded on kickstarter, and have legions of fans and critical praise across the world.

There aren't that many people that see Jill/Leon in smash and go out and buy a switch just to play as them, but there are a sizable amount that would do so for Sans and Crash.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I stand by that Crash and Sans are the last two characters, with each representing something not in smash yet (No big western character heavily associated with a third party with crash seeming like the most popular pic for one, and Undertale is probably the indie game with the best chance to get in because of its popularity in Japan as well as the U.S. with a sequel in development).

People like Jill, Ninja Ryu, and Rayman don't have the pizzazz of being "OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ADDED THEM TO SMASH" that most of the dlc third party characters have had

Cloud - PlayStation Exclusive, had never been on a Nintendo console
Bayonetta- From a niche third party series that is heavily associated with Nintendo. (Bayo is too violent!)
Joker - From a niche PlayStation exclusive series, that had very limited exposure on Nintendo platforms
Hero - From a mostly popular in Japan series that among the best selling series of all time in Japan, they even had school holidays when a new dragon quest came out for a while
Banjo - Owned by Microsoft, has been out of commission for 10 years and hasn't had a mainline platforming game since 2000 (not counting the gba one)

Jill - Reps Resident evil, a fairly popular japanese series, but doesn't really break new ground. sure she's popular but usually the not crazy dlc characters that are expected at this point.
Ninja Ryu is just another classic NES rep like Megaman or Simon who is a lot less popular then both of them. There isn't a huge ninja gaiden fanbase nowadays unlike megaman or castlevania, so I don't really see a way that he gets in.

Crash represents another Rival to nintendo in the playstation 1 era who managed to get popular in Japan and America as an edgy alternative to mario, sort of like Sonic.

Sans represents Indie games and is here because he kind of represents the indie dream in a way, make a game heavily inspired by but different to a classic, get funded on kickstarter, and have legions of fans and critical praise across the world.

There aren't that many people that see Jill/Leon in smash and go out and buy a switch just to play as them, but there are a sizable amount that would do so for Sans and Crash.
  • Actually, Cloud has been on a Nintendo system before, so his should be "has rarely been" instead of "has never been".
  • Smash reveals rarely end on a high note, so I wouldn't expect every reveal to top the last one.
  • Even if we got an Undertale rep, it'd more likely be Frisk given Sakurai's tendency to prioritize main characters.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Another step closer Microsoft. Only a matter of time now...

GrossSilverBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it seems like nintendo takes stuff like criticism to an extreme. They thought people didn't want vc at all, wanted a more clean and simple ui, wanted games to come first. They went after those "issues", but not the right way.
But at the same time they ignore a bunch of criticism.

They brought back fucking friend codes after everyone correctly told them that they're the worst. And then they made it so that there's no reason to even have friends on the Switch. It's bonkers.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Cloud - PlayStation Exclusive, had never been on a Nintendo console (except for KH Chain of Memories)

You really underestimate the popularity of res evil.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yea, you can't downplay what it did fir an entire genre.

That didn't define or pioneer the whole genre.
Sweet Home definitely helped. But as DOOM kicked down the door that Wolfenstein 3D helped unlock, Resident Evil kicked down the door that Sweet Home was able to get unlocked.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet Home definitely helped. But as DOOM kicked down the door that Wolfenstein 3D helped unlock, Resident Evil kicked down the door that Sweet Home was able to get unlocked.
I'm pretty sure Resident Evil unlocked that door.

It has the Master of Unlocking after all.
I still think the next two fighters will be real surprises and may be more western based than whatever the best selling Japanese series are left.
Good thing RE and now MonHun are popular in both Japan and the West.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I still think the next two fighters will be real surprises and may be more western based than whatever the best selling Japanese series are left.
Like I said, Smash reveals don't usually end on a high note. So I'm not sure if expecting them to up the ante each time is super-reasonable.

I'm pretty sure Resident Evil unlocked that door.

It has the Master of Unlocking after all.
That exact thought crossed my mind when I hit the "Post Reply" button.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Very few companies have been as supportive to Nintendo over the last few years as Koei Tecmo. If this is about fostering relations between Nintendo and other companies, Ryu Hayabusa isn't the worst guess in the world.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, Smash reveals don't usually end on a high note. So I'm not sure if expecting them to up the ante each time is super-reasonable.

That exact thought crossed my mind when I hit the "Post Reply" button.
I mean "a high note" is very subjective. A lot of people would consider the most popular gen 7 pokemon and Ryu's best friend as a big ending.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I bought the GBA port of Wolfenstein 3D for... some reason a few weeks ago and holy crap is is an awful port. Picking up health is so finicky and I appear to always have endless ammo? And you turn around in clicks, so nothing feels smooth. I mostly just bought it as a novelty.

Regardless of being a bad port, Wolf 3D also has levels that are too long for their own good and the textures are bland. Wolf 3D was one of my first video games, but I oddly have no nostalgia for it, and going back to it, it's just not very good. No wonder Doom took Wolf's general gameplay and ran with it and ended up being the more popular game.

Status
Not open for further replies.