• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's also the matter that Monolithsoft's next big game is a new fantasy IP. That could get the spotlight if it's a hit rather than Xenoblade next time.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Technically Benny's not wrong. The main reason to be down on Rex's chances in Smash is due to the likely large hiatus the series will take should they not put him or a Xenoblade 2 character in the Pass and end DLC. If there's more DLC or a Smash game coming sooner then Rex would likely still have a good chance
I don't think any of these two options are likely anyway, so I'd say Rex is out of luck. But definitely it's not the end for Xenoblade expansion within Smash, that's for sure

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any of these two options are likely anyway, so I'd say Rex is out of luck. But definitely it's not the end for Xenoblade expansion within Smash, that's for sure
Nah we're getting more DLC. No reason not to at this point all I hope for is Sakurai to make it Nintendo based

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's also the matter that Monolithsoft's next big game is a new fantasy IP. That could get the spotlight if it's a hit rather than Xenoblade next time.
Nah Xenoblade deserves the representation and people have actually been asking for it and it has become a huge part of Monolith's identity. It's getting a new rep but whether or not it's Rex is the question

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Nah we're getting more DLC. No reason not to at this point all I hope for is Sakurai to make it Nintendo based
I will only believe we'll get more DLC beyond the Fighter Pass once they officially announce. If that was any other company or any other game, I'd be more willing to blindly agree, but for now, I'm just thankful Ultimate is getting any content beyond base.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Except for Sakurai's recent statement that DLC isn't as profitable as it seems.
When it goes on for too long. A second season is far from excessive. I think it was said to explain why he wouldn't make the Smash series a DLC platform rather than denying more DLC after the Pass

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zoroark was a character with striking similarites to his predecessor who made it into Smash in the previous game. He received a big marketing push around the time of his debut game, and was included in a lot of predictions. However he ended up missing the cut due to bad timing because his game was no longer the latest in its' franchise.

If you replace Zoroark with Rex and Lucario with Shulk, then it's a pretty close comparison. Only piece left would be if a Xenoblade 3 character gets in next time to be our Greninja here.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's not really much of an analogue for Rex.

As of now there's no real precedent for Smash honoring the idea of including characters from the most recent Xenoblade game because look where we are.

Rex does have a sizable fanbase and remains one of the more requested Nintendo characters. In fact the problem with Rex isn't really with merit but due to timing. Not making the cutoff for base game and possibly not being looked at for the Pass due to the focus on guest characters (seemingly) and the possibility of more DLC after the Pass being an unknown.

If Rex maintains his popularity in time for next Smash I could see him still being chosen assuming Xenoblade 3 doesn't completely blow Xenoblade 2 out of the water in terms of popularity and success. Really Xenoblade is in a really weird spot due to not getting new representation in spite of the series gaining more popularity and success outside of Smash. Smash isn't really reflecting the current state of Xenoblade at all and is representing it poorly as of this point in time

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Zoroark was a character with striking similarites to his predecessor who made it into Smash in the previous game. He received a big marketing push around the time of his debut game, and was included in a lot of predictions. However he ended up missing the cut due to bad timing because his game was no longer the latest in its' franchise.

If you replace Zoroark with Rex and Lucario with Shulk, then it's a pretty close comparison. Only piece left would be if a Xenoblade 3 character gets in next time to be our Greninja here.
That's why I think Zoroark is more befitting for Elma: their time had already passed years before the next installment of Smash, and they didn't make it despite their game being relevant around the time of their respective project plans being put together.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I put down an avatar bet that there won't be a second Pass and unless Rex is the protagonist of future Xenoblade titles I see no real reason for him to be chosen over a more recent character. It's the same as Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

(Imagine if we get Xenoblade Chronicles X2 on the Switch and Elma is the character in Smash 6 lol.)

When do we get banjo?

The common consensus is October. But all we know is "fall" which probably isn't September because Nintendo's official calendars consider September part of summer.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A surprising amount of people in my villain thread want Wart to be a fighter in Smash.

Why?

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
That's not ponytail~

giphy.gif

this is a ponytail!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how many games Monolithsoft could squeeze out before the next Smash. I'd guess their new IP is out either in 2020 or 2021, and gets an expansion a year later like Torna. Then I could see one additional game fitting in there afterwards before Sakurai plans the next Smash.

That's why I think Zoroark is more befitting for Elma: their time had already passed years before the next installment of Smash, and they didn't make it despite their game being relevant around the time of their respective project plans being put together.

Yeah I can see that too. With Elma there is a small chance that X2 gets made since her story was left unfinished, though with Monolithsoft it isn't easy to tell where they could go next.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering how many games Monolithsoft could squeeze out before the next Smash. I'd guess their new IP is out either in 2020 or 2021, and gets an expansion a year later like Torna. Then I could see one additional game fitting in there afterwards before Sakurai plans the next Smash.

Yeah I can see that too. With Elma there is a small chance that X2 gets made since her story was left unfinished, though with Monolithsoft it isn't easy to tell where they could go next.
New IP in 2021 supported until 2022. Xenoblade X port in 2024. Xenoblade 3 is announced at 2027 but Sakurai started planning for Smash 6 in 2026. Rex gets in and we're in this mess all over again in 2028 discussing XC3 protag

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
i like that Monolith Soft brought back beloved characters in Xenoblade 2.

They'll at least won't let you forget their characters any time soon

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Give us both Dixie and Cranky in Smash 6, Sakurai. Don't stop the Rareware love now!

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On Zoroark's topic.. it's fine now, even as a Pokeball Pokémon he got basically a Final Smash
Honestly while we're kind of talking about Zoroark. How the hell would it work in Smash. It has the same problem as Cappy in that it's powerset just seems like it wouldn't work in Smash. Like at best it would be the ability to have mirror matches on the fly. Honestly forget Gen 5 being past it's point that was the real reason it didn't get a rep

What if cranky gete in before dixie?

As long as Dixie gets in eventually, I'll be okay with it. We need Dixie, Cranky, and Funky, and the gang is pretty much complete.

Eh, I don't see what the issue would be if they released Kasumi as an Echo or an Alt. She would just be a small addition to the game overall that extends the roster a little bit further and potentially gets some cool stuff. I don't think we should take any issues with whatever Echoes we get, though I know some people will cry bloody murder that their preferred Echo didn't get in (and a great deal of people to this day still have no idea how Echoes work, so a number of people will bemoan very strange options that don't fit the skeletons of the characters they're referencing... It's also worth noting someone like Shadow probably didn't get into Smash because of Sega's decision making rather than Sakurai's).

But, yeah, Jane was connected in such a way to Joker that Alt or Echo were really the only reasonable options. It's possible that Atlus had planned on Persona 5: The Royal coming out sooner than its current release date, but the game got delayed and that messed with the plans to have Kasumi as an alt and they just scrapped her wholesale. Or they could be saving her for a release to coincide with Persona 5: The Royal's release later on. We'll have to see, but I generally suspect all we'll ever know is the Jane file name and nothing else.

Considering the console exclusivity of P5R on the PS4 (Yes, I am aware Scramble is coming to Switch and Kasumi's likely showing up there as well) and the reactions on the internet to "no Switch port" (Era included), I could imagine that people would be befuddled that Sakurai and Nintendo approved such an inclusion, especially if she's put in to celebrate the release of a game not on a Nintendo platform.

Even if Kasumi is put in as a promotion vehicle for Scramble; I feel that the mess that resulted from P5R not being on a Nintendo console could sour people on her inclusion in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.