• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The worst thing about this community are the mud sticks who try and rationalize everything. Nothing can be goofs. Gotta be reasons™ for all of it.
The answer is simple: Geno fanboys are desperate and are grasping at any straws they can to convince themselves that he still has a chance.
Like, this shit is legit silly. Come on.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A Bonus character always seemed silly to me even as someone who was a believer in more DLC.

It's either it ends or we get another selection/Pass. Extending DLC for one character is silly from both Sakurai's and Nintendo's perspective.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The main reason that a season 2 is possible is just that Smash made BANK. It's totally within reason that Nintendo would want to do another season, it's just whether or not Sakurai would agree to it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Wait, you guys were talking about a bonus character that's included in the pass?

I was thinking of a bonus character as an extra DLC character after February that isn't a pass character. No way they'd throw in an addition fighter into the pass for free.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting Sakurai to close the book on Ultimate after the last Fighters Pass character is revealed and explained. Kind of like he did after Bayonetta during the Smash 4 days.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if SMRPG ends up on the SNES online service for Switch which has been heavily rumored to launch soon-ish. Even if it's not a launch title, it getting added soon after could signal that Nintendo has reached some kind of universal agreement about the rights to the game and/or characters.

I'm guessing at this point we're getting some kind of Nintendo Direct in early September.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
A second fighter pass/more characters obviously makes sense, Smash is the big cheese fighter/party game/farm simulator and games much less successful than Smash Ultimate have done it.

That doesn't mean it'll happen, or that we should expect it. Nintendo doesn't operate like everyone else, for better or worse.

Dec 31, 2018
Wait, you guys were talking about a bonus character that's included in the pass?

I was thinking of a bonus character as an extra DLC character after February that isn't a pass character. No way they'd throw in an addition fighter into the pass for free.
This is what i was talking about too. An extra character kind of like piranha plant that's a Sakurai put in because he wants too and you can buy it for cheaper if you already have the fighters pass.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't focus on what Nintendo might do based on what other companies do.

That's just not how Nintendo does things.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sakurai's statement in his book about how DLC isn't as profitable as it might seem felt like a soft deconfirm of a second Pass to me.

The thing with other fighting games is the DLC is treated as an extension of the product. DLC development usually begins alongside the game while Smash does it after. FighterZ's season passes are treated as part of the core product which is why there are bundles and sales. Smash is a complete 60 dollar game with DLC that is treated as a special product after the fact. The characters in the Pass are meant to be atypical of what you would find in the game's base roster, not as part of a whole package.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to be cheeky but that's not exactly an out there possibility.

Rex and Geno as the final Pass characters and Byleth as a bonus. I'd be okay with that but it's very likely Nintendo cracking down on music rips on Youtube and doesn't have much relation to Smash at all.

I was jousting you since I already know what is your point there tho.

Why has there been so much talk of a "bonus character"? We already got Piranha Plant. Fighting game characters take several months (and lots of money) to make. It's not like this game is hurting for the sales and publicity that another free character would bring.

I think you are only one that acting like bonus character being FREE. People were referring bonus characters as not part of fighter pass. People just want to see more characters coming to Smash Bros and truly believe that it would increase the odd to see their favorite characters.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, do you actually think Geno has a chance in Ultimate at this point?

Sure, why not. Nothing's changed in that regard.

It's not a matter of chances anymore; he's in, or he isn't. I'd like him in, I politely extend the courtesy of relentlessly mocking me for a few days if he isn't, and I hold hope that he will be playable.

Daddy or brother. There's only one right answer.

Dad Nier is a better character especially due to his relationship with Grimoire Weiss, Brother Nier is a better fit for the game's world, aesthetic, and the story it was trying to tell.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Dad Nier is a better character especially due to his relationship with Grimoire Weiss, Brother Nier is a better fit for the game's world, aesthetic, and the story it was trying to tell.
The story? Eh. As a dad and a brother, it works better with a dad. I wouldn't go through all that shit for my sister lmao

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Sakurai's statement in his book about how DLC isn't as profitable as it might seem felt like a soft deconfirm of a second Pass to me.

The thing with other fighting games is the DLC is treated as an extension of the product. DLC development usually begins alongside the game while Smash does it after. FighterZ's season passes are treated as part of the core product which is why there are bundles and sales. Smash is a complete 60 dollar game with DLC that is treated as a special product after the fact. The characters in the Pass are meant to be atypical of what you would find in the game's base roster, not as part of a whole package.
We know for a fact DLC was started before development finished. We have files for Piranha Plant, Joker and Hero dated September 2018. And that's just the files we have, licensing for Hero and Joker would have taken place months before that, if not longer.

Talks for DLC characters were probably starting before the game was even officially revealed at E3.

And the stage select screen just coincidentally has exactly enough space for the fighters pass and custom stage icons.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are only one that acting like bonus character being FREE. People were referring bonus characters as not part of fighter pass. People just want to see more characters coming to Smash Bros and truly believe that it would increase the odd to see their favorite characters.
A paid bonus character seems just as unlikely as a free one. I can't imagine development being extended just to work on one more character.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
We know for a fact DLC was started before development finished. We have files for Piranha Plant, Joker and Hero dated September 2018. And that's just the files we have, licensing for Hero and Joker would have taken place months before that, if not longer.

Talks for DLC characters were probably starting before the game was even officially revealed at E3.
I wasn't aware the pre-patch game had a date of September. Though I thought Brave was added in day 1 patch stuff.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It'd be pretty neat to get three bonus Echo Fighters to make the CSS a full rectangle with echoes stacked and unstacked.

Shame we aren't getting that.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't focus on what Nintendo might do based on what other companies do.

That's just not how Nintendo does things.

Yup, that's why I don't really think second fighter pass is going to happens along with another reasons.

Yeah, he was talking about smash 4 DLC but I don't blame people for not buying half or most of characters because they were disappointed or justified their beliefs with the purchases, like why should I buy Lucas or Roy when I have Ness and Marth in the game; or rejected Bayonetta and Corrin. I honestly think Ryu and Cloud sold the most (not including Mewtwo due to bonus where we can get him free.) I do wonder if they are the reason why they decided to focus on third party characters because they sold very well.

Yes, Sakurai is a huge fan to make sure that their games are complete with so much contents, etc and he already spoke on subjects where he's not fan of doing DLC and Season Pass (mostly because he don't want to sell Season Pass without showing any contents). He mentioned that Smash Ultimate DLC was planned without Developer's will so it could happens again with season pass 2 but would Nintendo go for that? I seriously doubt that but I would be happy if I'm wrong.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

And the stage select screen just coincidentally has exactly enough space for the fighters pass and custom stage icons.

I don't doubt DLC was planned for awhile, but that's different from active development. I doubt Joker and Hero had much substantial work done before the game was finalized and went gold given how long it took to release them. Piranha Plant was likely initially planned for the base game given that it has a Guidance. Meanwhile there are other fighting games that will have day 1 DLC.

I would also like a source that dates those character files for September. This is the first time I've heard of it.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story? Eh. As a dad and a brother, it works better with a dad. I wouldn't go through all that shit for my sister lmao

That's what I mean by Dadass Nier being a better character. Apart from the uniqueness of a grizzled old JRPG dad being the hero, it inherently makes a lot more sense, or is at least a lot more fitting to a Western audience, that Nier would go to the insane lengths to save his daughter.

Brother Nier, on the other hand, is sort of meant to be a stock Video Game Hero in a game about video game narrative. Nier does not hide that the world is post apocalyptic, but structures itself as a generic action Zelda-like JRPG, and that's why the main character is a pretty boy anime hero trying to save the world and amassing a quirky band of lovable oddballs. He's blind to the truths of the world as much as we as players are the truths behind Project Gestalt and the nature of the Shades, rushing in without a care in the world and swinging his sword around like a violent drunk.

As a story about saving a loved one, it's a lot more palatable to me that a dad would go to such lengths to save his daughter, but Yonah is kind of unimportant. She's Peach, the damsel in distress who gets secluded into the Dark Lord's evil castle of evil until the hero arrives, and by the time you show up you've doomed the world and murdered families.

Also it's weird that Dad Nier macks on Kaine when she's young enough to be his daughter.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Community-wide Avatar Bets:
Would we get more characters as DLC outside of Fighter Pass?

#TeamFivePacks or #TeamSix+Packs

The rules are simple and sweet

• Losers must wear the avatars for two weeks; (if you want longer duration then just let me know!)
  • You can drop out of the community bets (at long you make a claim before the reveals happening)
  • The avatars will be SFW (so no lewd, no bizarre, etc)
  • I know it's a common sense but just LET ME KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN so I can add you to the list
  • Six or more as in additional content beyond the five promised packs. If one pack contains an echo along with a new gutter as a Simon and Richter deal, it would still count one pack (Thanks to BGBW for clarification)
#TeamFiveCharacters
Mekanos
yuoke
Byakura
JustaBigOleGoof
Uncle at Nintendo
Sponge
Gartooth
Lawrence0294
Ecthel
Brock Reiher
Wil Grieve

#TeamSix+Characters
Okabe
Xwing
wildvine47
MGPanda
TheGamingNewsGuy
Zubz
Weiss
TheCed

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wasn't aware the pre-patch game had a date of September. Though I thought Brave was added in day 1 patch stuff.
I don't doubt DLC was planned for awhile, but that's different from active development. I doubt Joker and Hero had much substantial work done given before the game was finalized and went gold how long it took to release them. Piranha Plant was likely initially planned for the base game given that it has a Guidance. Meanwhile there are other fighting games that will have day 1 DLC.

I would also like a source that dates those character files for September. This is the first time I've heard of it.
iirc it was a date related to Jane's ponytail, but I can't find anything on it right now

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Community-wide Avatar Bets:
Would we get more characters as DLC outside of Fighter Pass?

#TeamFivePacks or #TeamSix+Packs

The rules are simple and sweet

• Losers must wear the avatars for two weeks; (if you want longer duration then just let me know!)
  • You can drop out of the community bets (at long you make a claim before the reveals happening)
  • The avatars will be SFW (so no lewd, no bizarre, etc)
  • I know it's a common sense but just LET ME KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN so I can add you to the list
  • Six or more as in additional content beyond the five promised packs. If one pack contains an echo along with a new gutter as a Simon and Richter deal, it would still count one pack (Thanks to BGBW for clarification)
#TeamFiveCharacters
Mekanos
yuoke
Byakura
JustaBigOleGoof
Uncle at Nintendo
Sponge
Gartooth
Lawrence0294
Ecthel

#TeamSix+Characters
Okabe
Xwing
wildvine47
MGPanda
TheGamingNewsGuy
Zubz
Weiss

When did I join?

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
A Bonus character always seemed silly to me even as someone who was a believer in more DLC.

It's either it ends or we get another selection/Pass. Extending DLC for one character is silly from both Sakurai's and Nintendo's perspective.

I could see plenty of reasons.

- Third party company really super duper wants their character in Smash and straight up pays for development
- Nintendo sees a huge marketing opportunity for an upcoming title that fans would want to see in Smash. EX: SMRPG remake, so they add Geno as a fighter for fans, promotion, money, and advertising all in one!
- Character was cut into development and the team decided they really wanted to see their work added so they secretly worked on it until Sakurai approved it.
- They agree on 5 characters and someone realizes "Hey Kazooie is the only female in this, we need to fix that" so they make a couple extra female fighters as DLC to try to balance it out
- Something happened where the rights to a character could only be obtained if it wasn't sold as part of the fighter pass

soyperson

May 8, 2019
appalachia
In all seriousness, do you actually think Geno has a chance in Ultimate at this point?

Honestly? Probably not. However, I am often wrong. So it's up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

My realistic prediction is either Doomslayer/Monster Hunter, and Frisk.
My dream pick is Amaterasu, but I don't think she's gonna make the cut. I'd also love to see some Hollow Knight representation, but again, I doubt it.

Aug 12, 2019

I think Geno has a great shot the next time they pick characters to be included in Smash...

I just don't think he's in the Fighter's Pass at this point, and who knows if the next time they pick characters will be with more DLC for Ultimate or a future Smash game...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's weird to think that (if there is no more content after February 2020) Ultimate's first party newcomers are only 9/17 of the newcomer lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.