• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking we'll only see paid Mii costumes from series that have playable characters.
Personally, I think we've only seen DLC Mii Fighter outfits from franchises already represented in Smash with fighters so far because they may be wanting to keep people guessing on who the remaining DLC fighters could be as much as possible, and if they were to announce any outfits for new franchises, that basically takes those franchises out of the running for DLC fighters immediately. So I'm thinking we might get a bunch of those outfits from franchises without fighters once the fifth Fighters Pass fighter is announced.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm not an active supporter, and I think bigger series like Tekken and Crash Bandicoot will and should get in before that.. but I suppose my dark horse is Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch; a series I have never touched, but I have feeling that got a bunch of support in the ballot. And I think there's mutual interest for Nintendo and Level-5 to have a character in Smash, just like Dragon Quest... we'll see

Mar 9, 2018
Who is everyone's dark horse candidates for the final two of the Fighter's Pass?

Mine have been Ryu Hayabusa and Lloyd Irving. Koei Tecmo has had so much to do with Nintendo in recent years (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Fire Emblem Warriors, and 2 more editions of Hyrule Warriors just to name a few), but I still don't feel like Ryu Hayabusa comes up hardly enough for that close of a relationship and being a NES character. And Lloyd always manages to come back around with surprising popularity in certain polls with the only real slights against him being that he's another JRPG Swordsman and maybe that it has been a while since Symphonia was relevant.
Sans Undertale and Chell Portal.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see the stats on how well some of the costumes from U/3DS sold.

We can all talk about the injustices of certain Mii costumes getting cut, but at the end of the day none of us actually know how popular Mii costumes were as a whole.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Didn't mean it as a gatekeeping, you're more than welcome to think whatever you want. I was also just giving my input on the matter and I say that as someone who would much prefer Elma over Rex/Pyra. I don't know, it just seemed really odd when Rex/Pyra were arguably one of the hardest deconfirms of a character considering Rex was labeled as the one Mii costume to come with the Fighter's Pass despite XC2's big success around the time DLC was being chosen and that hasn't made me super optimistic about any Xenoblade characters' chances.

To be fair, I could totally see an interpretation of that as better for Elma since they went hard against XC2 and didn't include music from XCX in Ultimate to begin with. I genuinely meant no harm and was just giving my own input.

Ok, I'm sure you weren't trying to rule anyone out. I'm just tired of hearing the same line every single time Elma's name is brought up. I get it that I'm in a minority picking Elma. But I was responding to a post asking for "dark horse" picks. So I guess I was hoping I'd get to speculate without someone jumping in to tell me how unlikely my most wanted character is. I guess that's a bit too much to expect at this point tho. It is bullshitif sakurai completely ignores Xenoblade X and we end up getting zero new Xeno chars in Ultimate. I'm still holding out hope that he's aware of the deficit and will try to rectify it with one of the last DLC slots.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I think that Mii Costumes really suck in comparison to how every other fighter handles DLC costumes.

And I know why it's like this, but it doesn't change the fact that only 3 characters out of 70 are getting costumes. Everyone whining about how many costumes Chun-Li gets in SFV ain't got no room to complain.

Mar 9, 2018
I feel like if they just covered the face, if they made the Mii costumes look like the character suits from Disneyland, it would be better. For so many characters, the Mii faces just ruin the "illusion". It would feel better if we could just have a complete head and face, even if it was static.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I think the problem is that it doesn't feel like a suitable replacement for the characters in most cases.
I know echos are still a lot of work but, i'd rather pay a few bucks for echos like Funky Kong, Octolings, Jeanne, Proto Man, Tails, etc. Have no interest in Mii costumes this time around. They bring Echo's as a new concept for those characters, but we didn't get much out of it this.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if they just covered the face, if they made the Mii costumes look like the character suits from Disneyland, it would be better. For so many characters, the Mii faces just ruin the "illusion". It would feel better if we could just have a complete head and face, even if it was static.
That's reason #1 why the only costume I liked in U/3DS was Rathalos Armor Hunter and the only costume I like in Ultimate is the Black Knight.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

The Skull Kid costume is great for this reason:

1uO62FO.jpg

When I bought the K. Rool costume back in the Smash 4 days it just felt like that stupid face was mocking me, lol.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The Mii costumes based on actual character never interested me. I'd rather not look look like a knock-off character surrounded by a bunch of bonafide video game superstars.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I bought K. Rool and Ashley costumes in Smash4 because I wanted to show support for the characters, actually (and in K. Rool's case, the costume was just nice looking); --Akira and Geno were just too well made to be ignored as well; Now Inkling I bought only because it came with an actual Inkling Girl trophy for my collection :p

My Mii Brawler used a black biker costume though

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Who is everyone's dark horse candidates for the final two of the Fighter's Pass?

Mine have been Ryu Hayabusa and Lloyd Irving. Koei Tecmo has had so much to do with Nintendo in recent years (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Fire Emblem Warriors, and 2 more editions of Hyrule Warriors just to name a few), but I still don't feel like Ryu Hayabusa comes up hardly enough for that close of a relationship and being a NES character. And Lloyd always manages to come back around with surprising popularity in certain polls with the only real slights against him being that he's another JRPG Swordsman and maybe that it has been a while since Symphonia was relevant.

I've been the biggest Ryu Hayabusa stan in these threads. I don't think people talk about him nearly as much as they should.

My other character is Phoenix Wright, who I feel is the Dark Horse for next Capcom character.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
That's what I mean by Dadass Nier being a better character. Apart from the uniqueness of a grizzled old JRPG dad being the hero, it inherently makes a lot more sense, or is at least a lot more fitting to a Western audience, that Nier would go to the insane lengths to save his daughter.

Brother Nier, on the other hand, is sort of meant to be a stock Video Game Hero in a game about video game narrative. Nier does not hide that the world is post apocalyptic, but structures itself as a generic action Zelda-like JRPG, and that's why the main character is a pretty boy anime hero trying to save the world and amassing a quirky band of lovable oddballs. He's blind to the truths of the world as much as we as players are the truths behind Project Gestalt and the nature of the Shades, rushing in without a care in the world and swinging his sword around like a violent drunk.

As a story about saving a loved one, it's a lot more palatable to me that a dad would go to such lengths to save his daughter, but Yonah is kind of unimportant. She's Peach, the damsel in distress who gets secluded into the Dark Lord's evil castle of evil until the hero arrives, and by the time you show up you've doomed the world and murdered families.

Also it's weird that Dad Nier macks on Kaine when she's young enough to be his daughter.
I guess I never got any of that generic video game hero stuff out of the Nier narrative in general. I absolutely get that they play on so many tropes so they can absolutely upend them at every turn going forward, but I guess I never pictured Nier himself as part of that. Fuck, that game is so good.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo wants to throw Koei Tecmo a bone then we're definitely getting Ryu Hayabusa, but I believe his inclusion hinges entirely on that scenario.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I never got any of that generic video game hero stuff out of the Nier narrative in general. I absolutely get that they play on so many tropes so they can absolutely upend them at every turn going forward, but I guess I never pictured Nier himself as part of that. Fuck, that game is so good.

I might be extrapolating but that's definitely how I saw the game with its heavy black and white colour theming and the constant genre parodies and throwbacks. To me,
NieR has to present itself as a generic, samey JRPG for its most subversive moments to truly shine, like NG+'s reveals of the Boss Shades' sentience.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hayabusa will get in because he's a logical pick that isn't highly demanded or speculated, thus people will be disappointed after Banjo, expecting more "fan favorites" and complain that he's another sword user.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
For a Koei Tecmo character I see Kasumi from DOA just as likely if not more than Hayabusa considering her series has actually recieved support recently, but who I am to know how do they chose the characters.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
For a Koei Tecmo character I see Kasumi from DOA just as likely if not more than Hayabusa considering her series has actually recieved support recently, but who I am to know how do they chose the characters.

...I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they're not adding a Dead or Alive character to Smash any time soon.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So far every character in the Fighters Pass are from companies that Nintendo have had long standing relationships with that has carried over into the Wii U/ Switch era.

(Even Microsoft technically counts as part of that, lol.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So far every character in the Fighters Pass are from companies that Nintendo have had long standing relationships with that has carried over into the Wii U/ Switch era.

(Even Microsoft technically counts as part of that, lol.)
I think their relationship with Capcom has wavered a little bit since the 3DS era, so Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo are clearly front-runners for the final two spots.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Hayabusa is also a DOA character so it's not like Kasumi has some advantage over him in this regard.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm sure this is a complete non-issue to Nintendo/Sakurai but it would be kinda weird if two of the Fighters Pass characters are humanoids cloaked in black wielding blades and magic.

...which is why they're gonna use NES Hayabusa!

ae936205e6d0930021f741af19dbae1f--ninja-gaiden-shinobi.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is a complete non-issue to Nintendo/Sakurai but it would be kinda weird if two of the Fighters Pass characters are humanoids cloaked in black wielding blades and magic.

...which is why they're gonna use the NES Hayabusa!

928e6f16a8c425090f01d0c84f560e521328813417_full.jpg

It looks good in the modern NG/DOA games too, lol.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

...which is why they're gonna use NES Hayabusa!

Let's be honest, that would probably be his alternate costume rather than the default.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hope that Hayabusa would focus more on his fighting game moves than his sword attacks tbh.

I just don't want the majority of the fighter pass to be normal sized humans with disjointed hitboxes on all of their normals.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd hope that Hayabusa would focus more on his fighting game moves than his sword attacks tbh.

I just don't want the majority of the fighter pass to be normal sized humans with disjointed hitboxes on all of their normals.

I honestly think it should be both. It would honor both NG and DOA.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Hayabusa feels like the quintessential Tecmo character to me -- he's the main character of the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy and the modern reboot trilogy, he's a major character in the Dead or Alive series, he's a guest in a bunch of other Koei Tecmo games, and his ancestor Jin Hayabusa is even a boss in Nioh. I actually think he's appeared in more games than any other Koei Tecmo character.

Status
Not open for further replies.