• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Offhand joke. I got less than 6 hours of sleep (which means the usual thing that keeps me from inserting my foot into my mouth is not in place). No insult was actually meant.

Y'all need to come up with some better jokes. yuoke hasn't had anything funny to say in like six months.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Honestly think people would be more excited for a Soul rep than a Tekken one, lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Honestly think people would be more excited for a Soul rep than a Tekken one, lol.

I can believe that, though I think it'd come down to Sophitia, Nightmare, and at a stretch Mitsurugi.

Soul Calibur II was what got me into fighters, and the first game I bought with my own money. I miss when fighting games were treasure troves of bonus content.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Gamecube version of Soul Calibur II is the best selling version.

Namco proceeds to make Soul Calibur III a PS2 exclusive.

(I still don't understand what happened there, lol.)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Too focused on the biggest and most well known.

I actually think Persona and Bayonetta are lucky to get into Smash and had unique circumstances that allowed them to get in without really being giant legendary series.

I think we go back now and retcon Persona as a "big popular series" but only because we have hindsight that Joker got into Smash. Persona is still the smallest third party in Smash (besides Bayonetta). I don't think Sakurai has ever mentioned Persona's popularity as the reason Joker is in. Instead it just seems like Sakurai really liked Persona 5, so much so he based the aesthetic of Ultimate on Persona 5. And adding Joker was probably a personal choice for Sakurai as a way to show appreciation for the design of that game.

Joker and Bayonetta (and to a lesser extent Banjo) are smaller third party series that had the right circumstances at the right time to get in, and I think there are other series out there that aren't huge, but might catch the right eyes at Nintendo to get in or have the right circumstances at the right time to make it.
I'm not saying Persona is big, but it's bigger than most indie franchises. Likewise, Bayonetta got in via the Smash Ballot.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I voted for Soul Calibur is because it's the only option in the poll I own.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm not saying Persona is big, but it's bigger than most indie franchises. Likewise, Bayonetta got in via the Smash Ballot.
Yea, Bayo got in via the ballot

Which means there are special circumstances that might get a smaller series in Smash. We don't have a ballot this time, but that doesn't mean some other lucky break for a small series might not happen.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Remember that time GameFAQs had a poll about best game heroes where Bub & Bob beat Samus and Master Chief

(I mean yeah it was vote bombed/rigged by the chans but still)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sakurai has ever mentioned Persona's popularity as the reason Joker is in. Instead it just seems like Sakurai really liked Persona 5, so much so he based the aesthetic of Ultimate on Persona 5. And adding Joker was probably a personal choice for Sakurai as a way to show appreciation for the design of that game.
Quick, someone check and see if Sakurai wrote a Famitsu column about how impressed he was with Guilty Gear's graphics.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Too focused on the biggest and most well known.

I actually think Persona and Bayonetta are lucky to get into Smash and had unique circumstances that allowed them to get in without really being giant legendary series.

I think we go back now and retcon Persona as a "big popular series" but only because we have hindsight that Joker got into Smash. Persona is still the smallest third party in Smash (besides Bayonetta). I don't think Sakurai has ever mentioned Persona's popularity as the reason Joker is in. Instead it just seems like Sakurai really liked Persona 5, so much so he based the aesthetic of Ultimate on Persona 5. And adding Joker was probably a personal choice for Sakurai as a way to show appreciation for the design of that game.

Joker and Bayonetta (and to a lesser extent Banjo) are smaller third party series that had the right circumstances at the right time to get in, and I think there are other series out there that aren't huge, but might catch the right eyes at Nintendo to get in or have the right circumstances at the right time to make it.

Exactly. It wasn't a big franchise when you compares it to other franchises. Also I don't considered Bayonetta as third parties anymore in weird way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see Sakurai go wildly creative with Bob and Bub moveset but it's more likely he would turn them into assist trophy if he had a chance.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
How many versions of the Bubble Bobble theme would Sakurai fit into Smash?

8? 12?

It'd be fun to see how they'd stretch a series with 1 notable song into a full stage soundtrack

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little disappointed Cloud remaining in Smash Ultimate didn't result in some Taito Assist Trophies, considering SE owns them (which is still super surreal).

At the very least, Space Invaders would be a perfect inclusion. Having them, Pac-Man, and Pong (on a technicality) would be some awesome arcade representation.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd dig Bub and Bob. The NES Classic was my first time playing Bubble Bobble but it was a fun little game.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I feel like pretty much every fighting game character that isn't Nightmare or Scorpion/Subzero is just a really boring choice. Heihachi especially.

I'd say Yoshimitsu would be fine but he would never get chosen.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Heihachi is boring to me simply because they already had him in PSASBR using all of his moves from Tekken.

So it's kinda already been done before, whereas someone like Nightmare, Sol, Ragna, Terry, or Hayabusa (as a DOA rep) haven't been in a platform fighter (to my knowledge).

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Yeah, most "realistic" options are pretty vanilla. Not that it's a bad thing. But I do agree that when it comes to major fighting games, there are few notable "face" reps that would be interesting outside of MK, Soul Calibur, SNK, and maybe the ASW games.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fulgooooore!! ;_;

But yeah most fighting game picks feel pretty vanilla. Maybe ArcSys characters could be interesting because of how stylish and exaggerated they can get.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder what the reactions would be if it turned out that 1 out of the 5 Fighters Pass characters was actually none other than Tingle

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I'd prefer a new character I think BotW Zelda could still totally work as a unique character. Give her specials based on the Sheikah slate or Champion's Powers.

And no I don't buy Sakurai's "she's more a scholar" excuse. Just reeks of a joke to justify using LttP Zelda.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Neoxon. You have no imagination.
Wait, Pig Ganon? Isn't the OoT version of him already a boss? I guess you could use the classic version, but still.

I'm okay with Resident Evil as long as Jill has this outfit, at least as an alt.
Am I the only one who isn't a huge fan of RE3 Jill's design (I wouldn't say I hate it, but there are better options out there)?

While I'd prefer a new character I think BotW Zelda could still totally work as a unique character. Give her specials based on the Sheikah slate or Champion's Powers.

And no I don't buy Sakurai's "she's more a scholar" excuse. Just reeks of a joke to justify using LttP Zelda.
I thought Sakurai went on record later saying that it was ALBW Zelda in post-launch interviews? At the very least, it's a mix of ALBW & ALttP.

Last edited:

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I have to wonder what the reactions would be if it turned out that 1 out of the 5 Fighters Pass characters was actually none other than Tingle

A lot of confusion. A lot of upset people talking about stealing a slot. Handful saying they wished it was a different Zelda character. People trying to meme it and make Tingle top tier. Some fans happy.

The usual.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Was Banjo & Kazooie the most unanimously positively received DLC character unveiled for any Smash game?

Like, character like Cloud and Joker got people excited, but there were some vocal detractors against them, complaining how they weren't "Nintendo associated" enough or whatever. Outside of a small few angry Steve fans I guess, I don't think anyone was really majorly upset over Banjo's inclusion.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was Banjo & Kazooie the most unanimously positively received DLC character unveiled for any Smash game?

Like, character like Cloud and Joker got people excited, but there were some vocal detractors against them, complaining how they weren't "Nintendo associated" enough or whatever. Outside of a small few angry Steve fans I guess, I don't think anyone was really majorly upset over Banjo's inclusion.
Ridley and K Rool were up there in terms of positivity.

But Banjo definitely tops the list IMO. There is nothing to hate about his scenario.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Yea, probably. I doubt any future DLC character gets the same warm welcome.

Ryu was received pretty well, though. Nobody seemed to have much issue with him. Or Mewtwo, I guess, if he counts as a DLC character.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah seems like it.

But not like the list is very long. I saw no one complain about Ryu. In fact, he might not have had the same reaction as banjo, but I really can't remember a single bad thing about Ryu. Other then 1 person saying why did capcom get 2 3rd party reps

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It got lost in all my griping I'm sure but Chris is unironically my favorite RE character.
For me, Chris is okay. But he didn't gain much staying power in my eyes (I chose Jill for RE1) until Roger Craig Smith took over the role. Smash Ultimate's current female fighter deficit coupled with the fact that they probably wouldn't be able to get Roger Craig Smith back (unless they reuse RE5 & 6 dialogue) are basically the one-two punch that made Chris an unappealing pick for me as far as Smash goes.

Either way, I guess my indifference towards most potential characters outside of Jill comes from the fact that we have so few women in Smash as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.