• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
But, IMO, the worst possible remaining choices are Resident Evil and Tekken, because they indicate that only game sales actually matter for getting a character into Smash.
I don't know why you continue to pretend like these series have no merits outside of sales numbers. Resident Evil practically created a new genre and has been increasingly popular over the past 23 years. Chris, Jill, and Leon are beloved gaming icons. You're lying to yourself if you don't think a Resident Evil crossover would be incredibly well-received and make tons of people happy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't know why you hate Hayabusa so much.

But, IMO, the worst possible remaining choices are Resident Evil and Tekken, because they indicate that only game sales actually matter for getting a character into Smash.
I mean, Resident Evil & Tekken got those sales for a reason. The former is the grandfather of survival horror, while the latter is a mainstay in the fighting game genre (up there with Street Fighter). Both have huge fanbases & their inclusions would be well-regarded by many. "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Resident Evil" alone would make huge headlines in the gaming community.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, has nothing to also do with the long history of both very influential series. And even though the first three series in all aren't big selling games/series outside dq in just japan. Yea, getting in is all about sales.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
resident-evil-2-tofu-survivor-zombie-stabbing-gameplay_13d5.jpg

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, but you would prefer chris, which is fine. Would save a lot of arguing by just saying that.
I honestly didn't want an RE character. There are franchises I simply like more and would prefer get in. But the constant negativity was getting to me as well as realizing I was being selfish as I already got my million to one character(Joker.) I also didn't want to give the impression I hate RE.

So yeah I'm just kinda tired of arguing and at this point whatever will be will be.(Still gonna keep arguing for another Zelda character though.)

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Tekken is fine but yeah, any RE would just be shotgun guy/girl

Such a flaccid choice lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Resident evil actually has two watershed games with both re1 and then re4. There are only a couple other franchises that can say they have more than ine, and not a lot that even have one.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say if an RE character get's in I DON'T want zombie summoning. Ammo management or weapon swapping fine but summoning zombies never sat right with me.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
But it worked just fine in MvC2.

*points at Mega Man's Mega Upper*
It works for mvc because mvc is a fast pace classic fighting game, and accuracy isn't a thing with it. Smash is a celebration of the history of games and nintendo, and sakurai tries to stick with that as much as he can. A slower gimmick move set like that wouldn't work in mvc.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
*points at Mega Man's Mega Upper*
The Mega Upper first appeared in Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters, and it's just one normal attack. That's different than suggesting Jill's entire gimmick/aesthetic be based on Marvel vs. Capcom 2, which is a poor representation of the Resident Evil series.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Resident evil actually has two watershed games with both re1 and then re4. There are only a couple other franchises that can say they have more than ine, and not a lot that even have one.

Depending on how vr adoption goes with the next gen, maybe even 3. RE7 is still one of the best, if not outright greatest, examples of a traditional big budget game working in VR.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how something like ammo management or resource pick ups wouldn't totally make the RE character completely underpowered. If it's for one super powerful move then sure, but having to run around the stage collecting bullets for every weapon? Fuggedaboudit.

And before someone says Hero let me state that I don't think that works either!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how something like ammo management or resource pick ups wouldn't totally make the RE character completely underpowered. If it's for one super powerful move then sure, but having to run around the stage collecting bullets for every weapon? Fuggedaboudit.

And before someone says Hero let me state that I don't think that works either!
I don't think collecting bullets will be part if it. That's already going to be banjo's gimmick. I could see the moveset being similar to my theorized captain toad moveset. You start off every game and new stock with full ammo for everything, but there is no restocking until a new stock. It balances out that way because the weapons are very strong, but pretty limited. You have to be careful with every shot (and grenade) used. The dagger could also maybe even be limited. It fits perfectly then as representing the survival aspect.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
They could've gone with the LttP design to keep Zelda and Link more visually distinct, their colour schemes are pretty similar in Breath of the Wild. I wouldn't have complained, though.

5b069d9f23264f59d4b53b98be7c457223e12ad4_hq.jpg

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Again, didn't Sakurai say that the design was ALBW later on?
84ajdSs.jpg

Also, unless he specified "for 3DS" there's a good chance any interviews you've read have mistranslated 'Triforce of the Gods' to 'Link Between Worlds' rather than 'A Link to the Past' since they share the same name in Japan.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder what the reactions would be if it turned out that 1 out of the 5 Fighters Pass characters was actually none other than Tingle

Probably similar to Pirahna Plant. Some would get upset at a troll pick while others would love it. Tingle would get massive emotion because he's such a divisive character. lol

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The RE character will have a menu based down special, like Hero, that pops up the RE inventory menu and allows them to equip a few different weapons, which changes their neutral and forward specials. You can also use it store other items, but you've got to Tetris them in like a normal RE game.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Broke: BotW Zelda as a costume
Woke: BotW Zelda as an echo fighter
Galaxy Brain: BotW Zelda as a unique newcomer

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My ideal outcome for Zelda would be 1 newcomer and 1 echo. The echo would probably be Impa, then for the newcomer either do a fan-favorite like Skull Kid, or a surprise choice like "Zora" or "Octorok".

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I for one would be really glad to have the horror game icon (which is immensely iconic) to be included in smash. The only issue that i have is that jill/chris may seem boring but sakurai is the kind of producer who will prove me wrong on that if it happens.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3rd party IP did get a lot more representation in the base game even though Castlevania and the return of Metal Gear Solid were the big highlights.

We got Fatal Frame in as an AT. Same for Virtua Fighter, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Monster Hunter, then spirits for Rayman, Shantae, and so on.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
To ruin your dreams, we know what Pac-Man design Miyamoto likes:

279469-pac-man-vs-gamecube-screenshot-connecting-the-gba-at-the-title.png

His Smash for render was even in the same pose.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I have to wonder what the reactions would be if it turned out that 1 out of the 5 Fighters Pass characters was actually none other than Tingle
They could base the whole pack on Tingle's three games. It'd all still be Zelda content, but it'd be a Rupeeland stage with Balloon Trip of Love and Balloon Fight music/spirits. They could structure it as a separate thing from the base game Zelda content by staying exclusively within Tingle's games. Tingle would still obviously be a Zelda rep and those games would still be considered Zelda spirits.

I'm surprised Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland didn't have any spirits. Or at least one spirit.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I actually remember a few people hating on K. Rool and Ridley on Smash era.
Yep, there were, although not a ton. Someone said they didn't wanted ridley or k.rool revealed at e3 because they were too ugly. Someone else said they would keep resetting the game until k.rool and ridley were the last two unlocked so they wouldn't be on the css.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Yep, there were, although not a ton. Someone said they didn't wanted ridley or k.rool revealed at e3 because they were too ugly. Someone else said they would keep resetting the game until k.rool and ridley were the last two unlocked so they wouldn't be on the css.
I remember the one about the person that said they would keep resetting so they wouldn't unlock K. Rool and Ridley. That was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Imagine being that angry about a character being smash.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Tingle would have a money mechanic that works a bit like Coin Battles. Whenever he hits someone with a medium or harder hit, Rupees fly out of the enemy. Tingle can collect these Rupees, and his total is shown on the HUD. The more money he has, the stronger he gets, particularly some of his attacks that use a money bag to attack. Attacks with these bags cause Tingle to lose money (but they're really strong at high cash totals), and he also loses money whenever he gets hit. He can pick up lost Rupees, but so can enemies. It doesn't do anything for them (unless they're another Tingle), but it causes them to be gone from the stage so Tingle can't get them again. Not all Rupees lost when getting damaged can be collected again, some just disappear.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

just think in an alternate universe, maybe DK's stages would have been the cave archetype and a dozen remixes of mining melancholy

Aug 12, 2019
I never did say we shouldn't discuss it? It's perfectly fine to talk about things that you want, but it's important to take into consideration points that can be raised for and against your claims. I know cause I did that with Undertale but came to the realization that my evidence didn't really stand up to what I was claiming.

And Persona 5 came out in Dec 2016 to smash 5's timeline to critical acclaim compared to NG3's 2012 release? The context here is not the same.
Crossovers with KT developed games doesn't tell me much about his overall recognizability/popularity either - is he as iconic as Megaman/Castlevania despite a streak of bad games?
At the end of the day, here's the facts -

- Does Ninja Gaiden have the sales throughout the franchise? Yes, it sold up to 7m altogether.
- Does NG have a long list of games throughout? Yea sure.
- Does NG has recent games that has been well-received recently? No.
- Does NG has the same degree of legacy/iconic-ness that ST/FF/MG has? Nope.
- Does NG has the same amount of popularity/requests that Megaman/Castlevania/Banjo has? No.

All these just indicates to me he's probably not likely for a dlc pack where the competition is much more stringent - it's more likely that he stands a better chance in base roster unless his circumstances change.

You just keep moving the goal posts on this issue. For what it's worth, Castlevania hasn't had a new game in the series since Lord of Shadows 2 was negatively received in 2014 as well (The same year that Ninja Gaiden had a negatively received title released) and has mostly lived on in re-releases and the Netflix show (Which Ryu Hayabusa would live up to with guest appearances in DOA and re-releases as well). Hell, the last time a new Castlevania game was genuinely well received was the original Lords of Shadows back in 2010. So that series certainly hadn't had well-received recent games either. Castlevania has only sold around 20 million copies anyway, so it's not massively more successful than Ninja Gaiden either.

As for iconic-ness, it gets heralded as one of the classic NES games and get bundled with every re-release of NES content possible alongside being a classic game that people know well from the series itself and outside references like in The Wizard. It's not absolutely Final Fantasy or Street Fighter level, but it's not some niche franchise either.

Which does that really matter when at this point? I mean we have three other third party fighters that prove you don't have to be incredibly high profile to get into Smash with Banjo Kazooie, Joker, and Bayonetta all either having worse or equal sales figures. The only real point you have is that he isn't super highly requested, but that has never been some sort of exclusive rule that needs to be followed either as we all well know.
Sakurai has mentioned buying Ninja Gaiden on the Virtual Console in the past, so it's certainly on his radar too: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/.

I'm not saying Ryu Hayabusa is a lock by any means, I just find this complete discounting of his chances a little absurd when he's got as much merit as several other roster picks that already exist and many that others are pushing. Hell, Doom gets thrown around a lot and it's generally only in the 10 million sales figure as well.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Tingle would have a money mechanic that works a bit like Coin Battles. Whenever he hits someone with a medium or harder hit, Rupees fly out of the enemy. Tingle can collect these Rupees, and his total is shown on the HUD. The more money he has, the stronger he gets, particularly some of his attacks that use a money bag to attack. Attacks with these bags cause Tingle to lose money (but they're really strong at high cash totals), and he also loses money whenever he gets hit. He can pick up lost Rupees, but so can enemies. It doesn't do anything for them (unless they're another Tingle), but it causes them to be gone from the stage so Tingle can't get them again. Not all Rupees lost when getting damaged can be collected again, some just disappear.
As the only person in the world who actually liked Coin Battles, I'd main Tingle just for this mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.