• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe all that stanning I did for Ryu Hayabusa actually will pay-off, and I've actually been preparing Smash Era for his arrival, lol.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Remember a quote from Nintendo President

So that's probably why they want to draw another franchises' fans to become more familiar with Nintendo franchises or games. SO MORE THIRD PARTY!

That's probably what Nintendo are doing right now and allows Sakurai to pick certain characters as he deemed it to fitting in Smash Bros Universe.
But at the same time, I'm not sure if we have proof that the inclusion of a DLC character from these franchises drive sales of the game. They probably drive DLC sales & get the Smash audience familiar with these properties (which Nintendo's doing for Dragon Quest), but I'm not sure if it works the other way around.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai keeps saying Nintendo chose the DLC - "he's a liar and his pants are on fire!"
Sakurai said that one time Geno might be cool - "His word is gospel!"

🤔

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think we could see Akira and Jacky back as Mii costumes in the next wave. Though it's just a guess since the Mii costumes that came with Banjo were very random.

Wonder what SNK characters they could do as costumes.

Edit: Oh yeah, do a Fulgore Mii Brawler in that pack!

Mar 9, 2018
Sans would have been a Sakurai pick. But now after the Mii costume purchases, he will be a Nintendo pick.

Dixie Kong is most likely coming as well. Donkey Kong 128 has to be on the horizon at this point. Or the Donkey Kong theme park, where you can meet her in person.

Chell is also very possible and perhaps even likely, at least compared to your favorite character.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sans would have been a Sakurai pick. But now after the Mii costume purchases, he will be a Nintendo pick.

Dixie Kong is most likely coming as well. Donkey Kong 128 has to be on the horizon at this point. Or the Donkey Kong theme park, where you can meet her in person.

Chell is also very possible and perhaps even likely, at least compared to your favorite character.
Perhaps for the next Smash game. But the fact that Sans is a Mii Costume now is basically the kiss of death for his chances as a full-on character in Ultimate......unless they go for Frisk instead.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps for the next Smash game. But the fact that Sans is a Mii Costume now is basically the kiss of death for his chances as a full-on character in Ultimate......unless they go for Frisk instead.
Frisk is the main hero... Just watch we will get a Frisk outfit, Papyrus outfit, Flowey, and whatnot. Then out of nowhere Kris from Deltarune...
... Probably not. But I can dream. I think the success of the costume will definitely make Sans a contender for the next Smash though.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
They're going to have to start dipping into western third parties eventually, there's only so many unused Japanese companies left.

200.gif

Mar 9, 2018
True, Sans is a strong contender for the next game. But it's hard to say about the kissing part for this game. Sans sold so well, I would call that the kiss of life. The kiss of the future. Things are looking up for him in general, that we can agree on at least.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to have to start dipping into western third parties eventually, there's only so many unused Japanese companies left.
Yeah if they're sticking with third parties, and new franchises specifically, then they'll probably start going more into them. And maybe even an actual indie character, from either side of the pond, if they keep going.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
True, Sans is a strong contender for the next game. But it's hard to say about the kissing part for this game. Sans sold so well, I would call that the kiss of life. The kiss of the future. Things are looking up for him in general, that we can agree on at least.
At most, I can see this as a motivator for adding music with certain Mii Costumes (Ex: Kasumi Mii Costume w/ P5R music). But for Ultimate, Sans is probably done for. But yeah, we can agree on Sans being a contender next time around.

Last edited:

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Remember a quote from Nintendo President

So that's probably why they want to draw another franchises' fans to become more familiar with Nintendo franchises or games. SO MORE THIRD PARTY!

That's probably what Nintendo are doing right now and allows Sakurai to pick certain characters as he deemed it to fitting in Smash Bros Universe.
I'm all for this, I really want every additional newcomer to Smash to be third-party.

And I still have hope for some Team Fortress 2 representation in there.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll be lucky to see two more western characters.

I fully expect the focus to stay on Japanese companies and more likely see them get another Sega/Square/etc character before a western IP.

I say this as someone who's second most wanted character is western.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
There are still a lot of critically and/or commercially successful Japanese series left without playable characters in Smash. For example:
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Shenmue
  • Yakuza
  • Bomberman
  • Goemon
  • Contra
  • Tekken
  • Tales
  • Soulcalibur
  • Dark Souls
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Resident Evil
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ace Attorney
  • Monster Hunter
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Dead or Alive
  • Professor Layton
  • Yo-kai Watch
Any one of those could be included without feeling like Smash is scraping the bottom of the barrel, and there are even more that I forgot to list. Pick any five from different companies and you have a second Fighters Pass that's just as exciting as the first.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
More collaborations with DLC = more new franchises. I'm ok with that. I just think we should get some first party reps in there too

soyperson

May 8, 2019
appalachia
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Shenmue
  • Yakuza
  • Bomberman
  • Goemon
  • Contra
  • Tekken
  • Tales
  • Soulcalibur
  • Dark Souls
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Resident Evil
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ace Attorney
  • Monster Hunter
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Dead or Alive
  • Professor Layton
  • Yo-kai Watch

I don't really see Bomberman getting any representation other than the Assist Trophy.
Also, Goemon just got a costume, so that crosses that series off the list for the time being.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
There are still a lot of critically and/or commercially successful Japanese series left without playable characters in Smash. For example:
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Shenmue
  • Yakuza
  • Bomberman
  • Goemon
  • Contra
  • Tekken
  • Tales
  • Soulcalibur
  • Dark Souls
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Resident Evil
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ace Attorney
  • Monster Hunter
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Dead or Alive
  • Professor Layton
  • Yo-kai Watch
Any one of those could be included without feeling like Smash is scraping the bottom of the barrel, and there are even more that I forgot to list. Pick any five from different companies and you have a second Fighters Pass that's just as exciting as the first.
Huh.

What about Firebrand?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see Bomberman getting any representation other than the Assist Trophy.
Also, Goemon just got a costume, so that crosses that series off the list for the time being.
Yeah, they're obviously not all going to happen, but they're technically still available. I just don't think we're running as low on popular/influential Japanese series as some posts in here would suggest.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Yokai Watch is under the barrel, so I guess it's not really scraping it. More like the little discarded parts that stuck to the barrel as they were filling it, and they didn't bother cleaning them off.

Rats and insects have made these scraps their meals, but there's still a little bit left.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The whole "Sakurai decides if they can be realized in Smash" still makes me question to what extent did Nintendo pick. Because again, for all we know, they could have picked a large list and let Sakurai do with it as he wished.
I think we'll be lucky to see two more western characters.

I fully expect the focus to stay on Japanese companies and more likely see them get another Sega/Square/etc character before a western IP.

I say this as someone who's second most wanted character is western.
Yup. I'd expect them to double/triple/quadruple dip from Capcom, Sega, and the like rather than going hog wild with Western characters. Crash and Doom Slayer are just about the only two that I see as reasonably possible tbh.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Double/triple dipping on Sega, Capcom, and S-E doesn't seem likely if Nintendo wanted to pick DLC characters to strengthen industry collaborations. Depends on what kind of picks they gave to Sakurai.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Double/triple dipping on Sega, Capcom, and S-E doesn't seem likely if Nintendo wanted to pick DLC characters to strengthen industry collaborations. Depends on what kind of picks they gave to Sakurai.
We got a second Square Enix character in the first pass, and it's not like Nintendo needs to strengthen its relationship with the Dragon Quest team.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "Sakurai decides if they can be realized in Smash" still makes me question to what extent did Nintendo pick. Because again, for all we know, they could have picked a large list and let Sakurai do with it as he wished.
Probably something like hey we were thinking these franchises, which and what can you make it happen and then they pulled out a gun and said you better get the Hero from Dragon Quest 11S: Echoes of an Elusive Age -Definitive Edition-

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest is also not owned by Square-Enix.
It's owned by Square Enix, Yuji Horii, and Akira Toriyama. Square Enix is the only "industry" entity of the three, as the company that develops and publishes Dragon Quest, and it already has a Smash character.

You're probably chasing imaginary patterns if you think Dragon Quest got in because Nintendo arbitrarily wanted to include a Horii/Toriyama series and not because Dragon Quest is massively popular with a new Switch game on the horizon.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess while focus on new collaborations would suggest alot of it is going to be third parties (and I always expected that) I'm not going to hoist the flag for Rex or any XC2 character yet. Often times Sakurai and Nintendo say they'll focus on somethings but they often have some little things that go outside the expected plans I guess. Like Ultimate's base roster in spite of being based off of the Ballot still had picks like Incineroar, Isabelle, and debateably Castlevania and Sakurai didn't mention ballot or fan requests for them.

Plus this goes back to what Sakurai means by new collaborations. Does this mean Capcom is off the table at all? Can other companies not get another character unless they have a somewhat new developer under their wing that represents a big enough character? If so putting aside my disappointment what this could mean for the only character I really want to see despite them being highly requested and a character Sakurai himself wanted to implement I feel that might be an absolutely ridiculous way to decide DLC.

Then again I guess Sora and Shantae's chances might be better as the former can be considered a Disney collaboration and former a Wayforward one but something tells me that "focusing on new collaborations" isn't going to be as clear cut a motivation as people think for them deciding potentially 10 characters

Feb 5, 2018
I know he said to wait, but the way this is worded implies more third-parties in my book. Excellent!

I do hope he hints at the opportunity for a few other new first party reps. Things like Rhythm Heaven (....or Golden Sun) shouldnt be shafted for 3rd party inclusions, as much as I love them. I just want ONE or 2 more Nintendo reps that arent a pokemon or FE.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe the reason Sans is a Mii costume and not a full character is Sakurai doesn't feel he could be fully realized in Smash. Maybe that's what he means when he refers to that cause Sans certainly would've been among the best selling characters they released

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
This is just being cheeky. They'd be negotiating with the same publishers here. Activision twice, Square, MS.

I mean Joker is technically a Sega rep but Sonic was already in. Even in massive companies the owned brands still have individual legacies. Having Crash and Tracer would best represent both sides of ActiBlizz

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Enix was the publisher of the DQ series. The owners are Horii, Toryiyama, and Sugiyama.
"Was" being the key word there. Enix hasn't existed in 16 years.

Square Enix owns Dragon Quest along with Horii and Toriyama. Sugiyama actually doesn't have a stake in Dragon Quest. He's only credited when his music appears in something.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Probably something like hey we were thinking these franchises, which and what can you make it happen and then they pulled out a gun and said you better get the Hero from Dragon Quest 11S: Echoes of an Elusive Age -Definitive Edition-
In all seriousness, Hero would have been an obvious mutual want for Sakurai and Nintendo, and Square Enix was probably the one with the gun demanding that they shill for Dragon Quest 11S: Echoes of an Elusive Age -Definitive Edition in exchange

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's owned by Square Enix, Yuji Horii, and Akira Toriyama. Square Enix is the only "industry" entity of the three, as the company that develops and publishes Dragon Quest, and it already has a Smash character.

You're probably chasing imaginary patterns if you think Dragon Quest got in because Nintendo arbitrarily wanted to include a Horii/Toriyama series and not because Dragon Quest is massively popular with a new Switch game on the horizon.

Copyright theory is just a theory, but it seems to be holding well for the pass when character #5 is suspected by most posters here to be another new partner like Koei Tecmo.

There are no rules on 3rd parties, but this community chases imaginary patterns all the time with people other 3rd parties once they get a rep in the pass like Steve being "deconfirmed".

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Copyright theory is just a theory, but it seems to be holding well for the pass when character #5 is suspected by most posters here to be another new partner like Koei Tecmo.

There are no rules on 3rd parties, but this community chases imaginary patterns all the time with people other 3rd parties once they get a rep in the pass like Steve being "deconfirmed".
I mean it's not really a pattern or theory, I just don't think there's gonna be an overload of Western IP's getting in like some people seem to be expecting.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Was" being the key word there. Enix hasn't existed in 16 years.

Square Enix owns Dragon Quest along with Horii and Toriyama. Sugiyama actually doesn't have a stake in Dragon Quest. He's only credited when his music appears in something.

Horii and co. still have the same deal with Square Enix that they had with Enix before the merger.

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I was doing a list of potential characters if anyone is left, tell me so I can add him/her/it.

Capcom:
Jill Valentine / Leon Kennedy / Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Arthur (Ghost 'n' Goblins)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

Square Enix:
Lara Croft (Tomb Rider)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)

Konami:
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
Bill Rizer / Lance Bean (Contra)

Marvelous:
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Farmer (Harvest Moon)
Adventurer (Rune Factory)

SNK:
Terry Bogard / Mai Shiranui (The King of Fighters)

Koei Tecmo:
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Bandai Namco:
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Heihachi / Jin Kazama / Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
Yoshimitsu (Tekken / Soulcalibur)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Agumon (Digimon)
Solaire / Artorias (Dark Souls)

Level-5:
Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch)

Spike Chunsoft:
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom:
Adol Christin (Ys series)

Team Shanghai Alice
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Grasshopper:
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

Ubisoft:
Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed)
Rayman (Rayman)
Prince (Prince of Persia)
Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell)

Microsoft:
Master Chief (Halo)
Steve (Minecraft)

Activision / Blizzard:
Spyro (Spyro)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Diablo (Diablo)
Arthas (World of Warcraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
Tracer (Overwatch)

Bethesda:
Doomslayer (Doom)
Dovahkiin (Elder Scrolls)

Rockstar:
Max Payne (Max Payne)

Electronic Arts:
Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)

IO Interactive:
Agent 47 (Hitman)

Warner Bros:
Scorpion / Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)

Riot:
Ryze / Ashe / Jax / Teemo (League of Legends)

.n_n.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This complete and total headassery of trying to make Dragon Quest seem like a completely new collaboration and not another Square Enix character is why I'm thinking this new collaboration thing isn't as clear cut as they said. Sure so far all the characters could be argued that they're from new developers but I somehow don't think that this is going to be the only deciding thing going forward.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe all that stanning I did for Ryu Hayabusa actually will pay-off, and I've actually been preparing Smash Era for his arrival, lol.

That's not a bad thing if you ask me. I hope he get in.

I think we could see Akira and Jacky back as Mii costumes in the next wave. Though it's just a guess since the Mii costumes that came with Banjo were very random.

Wonder what SNK characters they could do as costumes.

Edit: Oh yeah, do a Fulgore Mii Brawler in that pack!

Metal Slug Mii costume please!

More collaborations with DLC = more new franchises. I'm ok with that. I just think we should get some first party reps in there too

Yeah. Im fine with all new franchises from third parties and Nintendo. They could save some characters for next Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.