• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was doing a list of potential characters if anyone is left, tell me so I can add him/her/it.

Capcom:
Jill Valentine / Leon Kennedy / Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Arthur (Ghost 'n' Goblins)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

Square Enix:
Lara Croft (Tomb Rider)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)

Konami:
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
Bill Rizer / Lance Bean (Contra)

Marvelous:
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Farmer (Harvest Moon)
Adventurer (Rune Factory)

SNK:
Terry Bogard / Mai Shiranui (The King of Fighters)

Koei Tecmo:
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Bandai Namco:
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Heihachi / Jin Kazama / Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
Yoshimitsu (Tekken / Soulcalibur)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Agumon (Digimon)
Solaire / Artorias (Dark Souls)

Level-5:
Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch)

Spike Chunsoft:
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom:
Adol Christin (Ys series)

Team Shanghai Alice
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Grasshopper:
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

Ubisoft:
Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed)
Rayman (Rayman)
Prince (Prince of Persia)
Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell)

Microsoft:
Master Chief (Halo)
Steve (Minecraft)

Activision / Blizzard:
Spyro (Spyro)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Diablo (Diablo)
Arthas (World of Warcraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
Tracer (Overwatch)

Bethesda:
Doomslayer (Doom)
Dovahkiin (Elder Scrolls)

Rockstar:
Max Payne (Max Payne)

Electronic Arts:
Commander Shepard (Mass Effect)

IO Interactive:
Agent 47 (Hitman)

Warner Bros:
Scorpion / Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)

Riot:
Ryze / Ashe / Jax / Teemo (League of Legends)

.n_n.
2B

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm biased af but I'm really feeling like Sora has a pretty good chance of happening now. Having a Disney character in would be a pretty big get for Sakurai/Nintendo.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
They honestly shouldn't JUST go for new partners. Fan demand should certainly play it's part as well imo.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I mean Joker is technically a Sega rep but Sonic was already in. Even in massive companies the owned brands still have individual legacies. Having Crash and Tracer would best represent both sides of ActiBlizz
I'm well aware of this. The reason I raised my objection is because the poster framed it as "new collaborations," which would be incorrect when listing those particular characters/companies. No such framing was ever applied to Sonic/Bayonetta/Joker, so I wouldn't raise the objection there.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "Sakurai decides if they can be realized in Smash" still makes me question to what extent did Nintendo pick. Because again, for all we know, they could have picked a large list and let Sakurai do with it as he wished.

What if it is actually simple where Nintendo asked Sakurai what would be best choices from certain companies like Atlus and SNK then they could pick best choices based on the company.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a bad thing if you ask me. I hope he get in.

Metal Slug Mii costume please!

Yeah. Im fine with all new franchises from third parties and Nintendo. They could save some characters for next Smash.
I just want Rex man who might not even be in the fucking cards for the next Smash. Sakurai has constantly said that he wants to make this Smash the ultimate Smash with a roster that might not even be replicated in a future game and is probably going to hold over many fans and stick around for so many years.

I can see this argument working with Dixie, B Dee, or even Waluigi because those characters are always going to be on the same level of relevancy but when a character gets passed over for no good reason and they keep developing characters for the game then it just feels awful especially as the time keeps ticking. Like at the end of the day Smash is still primarily a Nintendo crossover so I would like to have some Nintendo characters that have appeared since then.

It's going to fucking suck that the Switch, Nintendo's premiere console that pulled them out of a major rut, is going to have less meaningful representation than the fucking console that put them there.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I did say that a pick no one talked about would made it in, and yeah Terry happened. The only thing I'll predict is for characters meeting some of these requirements:

• Character is a massive fan request, think Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie
  • Sakurai likes the character a lot
  • Nintendo wanted it for promotion

Last one is arguably iffy since everything could be said to be promotion.

I do wonder if even these requirements will be ignored at some point.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I just want Rex man who might not even be in the fucking cards for the next Smash. Sakurai has constantly said that he wants to make this Smash the ultimate Smash with a roster that might not even be replicated in a future game and is probably going to hold over many fans and stick around for so many years.

I can see this argument working with Dixie, B Dee, or even Waluigi because those characters are always going to be on the same level of relevancy but when a character gets passed over for no good reason and they keep developing characters for the game then it just feels awful especially as the time keeps ticking. Like at the end of the day Smash is still primarily a Nintendo crossover so I would like to have some Nintendo characters that have appeared since then.

It's going to fucking suck that the Switch, Nintendo's premiere console that pulled them out of a major rut, is going to have less meaningful representation than the fucking console that put them there.
To be fair, the Wii U only has Inkling (& Alph, if you want to count alternate costumes).

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Before people jump on Gartooth 's back but I can see what he meant.

Dragon Quest was historical Enix franchise before they bought out SquareSoft. Same for Altus for their franchises before they were bought out by SEGA.

What Gartooth meant the franchises carried the weights of comanies' Histories.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Why would Sakurai add Geno spirit if he was going to be in 1st DLC wave? If Geno's in, he probably is in second batch. The Deleted Music Theory seemed to fit that right.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did say that a pick no one talked about would made it in, and yeah Terry happened. The only thing I'll predict is for characters meeting some of these requirements:

• Character is a massive fan request, think Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie
  • Sakurai likes the character a lot
  • Nintendo wanted it for promotion

Last one is arguably iffy since everything could be said to be promotion.

I do wonder if even these requirements will be ignored at some point.
The first one has been ignored constantly with just this Pass alone. Only one character made it in as a fan request.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Dragon Quest was historical Enix franchise before they bought out SquareSoft. Same for Altus for their franchises before they were bought out by SEGA.

For Erdrick & Solo, sure. But for Eight & Luminary, it's for all intents & purposes double-dipping for Square-Enix. Atlus I can understand since they bothered to list them separately in the character copyright section despite being owned by Sega.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Horii and co. still have the same deal with Square Enix that they had with Enix before the merger.
I know, but the argument that Hero represents a new partnership in the same way that someone like Terry does seems really forced to me. It's the umpteenth example of this community forcing a pattern and weaving a narrative out of minimal data points. Nothing was even added to the character copyright section when Hero was included. Horii's and Toriyama's partial ownership of DQ is a technicality that few people know or care about. Nobody reacted to Hero's reveal with, "ah, finally, an Armor Project representative! My favorite gaming-adjacent production company!"

I do agree that working with new publishing partners was likely a big part of the Fighters Pass, but I don't think it was the only consideration. Hero is a walking Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition advertisement, and I don't think he would have been excluded had Square Enix owned the entirety of his series and not just most of it.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

For Erdrick & Solo, sure. But for Eight & Luminary, it's for all intents & purposes double-dipping for Square-Enix. Atlus I can understand since they bothered to list them separately in the character copyright section despite being owned by Sega.
Besides taking into what the Dragon Quest devs said about how they selected Hero and his alts it seemed the original plan was to have just Luminary. So if anything the insistence that Hero is secretly an Enix rep goes out the window when they were going to go with a character that was made way after the fact.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. The fake news is getting out of control. Guess I'm gonna have to hit this thread with some facts soon.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

What I meant is Dragon Quest started with Enix. There is no needs to make this even more complicate than it should be.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
What if it is actually simple where Nintendo asked Sakurai what would be best choices from certain companies like Atlus and SNK then they could pick best choices based on the company.
Yeah, that's also a possibility to consider.

The wording is so vague that it's difficult to tell exactly how the characters are being chosen. Basically any character could be realizable in Smash fairly easily, so Sakurai's job of choosing who is and isn't realizable probably just means that he still has some unspecified level of input in deciding who they ultimately go with.

Whether this means that he's completely limited to third-parties that Nintendo specifically wants (so no Geno going forward, probably) or if he has a bit more freedom than that remains to be seen.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I said some not all. 3 being added due to Sakurai liking them fits these Still.

...Are there even characters Sakurai doesn't like but he added em to Smash?
Geniunely I can't think of a time Sakurai was forced to put in a character he didn't like. Only possible one who would fit that is if Sakurai never liked Splatoon (which I doubt) then maybe Inkling because that character was a hard lock from 2015. Maybe Ridley but that was a case of Sakurai not feeling he would work under Smash's vision and even then he could've ignored that if he still felt that way today. Neither are confirmed to be characters Sakurai dislike

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anything more to add to the list:
Capcom:
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

Square Enix:
Lara Croft (Tomb Rider)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
2B (Nier: Automata)

Konami:
Goemon (Mystical Ninja)

Marvelous:
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Farmer (Harvest Moon)

SNK:

Koei Tecmo:
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Bandai Namco:
Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Agumon (Digimon)

Level-5:
Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch)

Spike Chunsoft:
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom:

Team Shanghai Alice

Grasshopper:

Ubisoft:
Rayman (Rayman)

Microsoft:
Master Chief (Halo)
Steve (Minecraft)

Activision / Blizzard:
Spyro (Spyro)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Diablo (Diablo)
Tracer (Overwatch)

Bethesda:
Doomslayer (Doom)

Rockstar:
Max Payne (Max Payne)

Electronic Arts:

IO Interactive:
Agent 47 (Hitman)

Warner Bros:

Riot:

.n_n.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Terry is such an obvious in hindsight pick, I feel embarrassed almost.

Sakurai played arcade fighters a lot. He LOVES SF. He added Virtua Fighter Assist Trophy over Heihachi. Terry, SNK & Fatal Fury are some of oldest+biggest fighting series not in Smash.

Joker really should have made it clear that Sakurai adds who he wants.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Sakurai played arcade fighters a lot. He LOVES SF. He added Virtua Fighter Assist Trophy over Heihachi. Terry, SNK & Fatal Fury are some of oldest+biggest fighting series not in Smash.

Likewise, we owe Smash's existence to KoF.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Yes, I feel dumb that I didn't think of an SNK rep. It was totally obvious that it'd happen eventually.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Going by recent statements in the Famitsu column, it may very well be more third-party characters. I hope that's not the case, albeit with a mix of first-party & third-party.
I suppose a hope is that Sakurai didn't mention Nintendo potentially having influence so he has full reign for this next batch of DLC and what company to collaborate with.

It also goes to what collaboration means. Like does this mean a Capcom character is off the table in the same way a Monolith Soft character is off the table? Because Capcom already has two characters there's not a need for a third and fourth?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Broke: Nintendo would never work with Disney for Sora because they would be tough to negotiate with

Woke: Disney is a new collaborator for Smash and Sora has his chances skyrocket because of it

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Shot in a dark, Fighter 5 is character no one has talked a lot about that much.

The only times Smash Community predicts right is when shit leaks.

It will keep happening.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose a hope is that Sakurai didn't mention Nintendo potentially having influence so he has full reign for this next batch of DLC and what company to collaborate with.

That's exactly what he mentioned going by PushDustin's tweet, supposedly. Nintendo made the selection then, and they're doing the same now.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Anything more to add to the list:
Capcom:
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

Square Enix:
Lara Croft (Tomb Rider)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
2B (Nier: Automata)

Konami:
Goemon (Mystical Ninja)

Marvelous:
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Farmer (Harvest Moon)

SNK:

Koei Tecmo:
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Bandai Namco:
Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Agumon (Digimon)

Level-5:
Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch)

Spike Chunsoft:
Shiren (Mystery Dungeon)

Nihon Falcom:

Team Shanghai Alice

Grasshopper:

Ubisoft:
Rayman (Rayman)

Microsoft:
Master Chief (Halo)
Steve (Minecraft)

Activision / Blizzard:
Spyro (Spyro)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Diablo (Diablo)
Tracer (Overwatch)

Bethesda:
Doomslayer (Doom)

Rockstar:
Max Payne (Max Payne)

Electronic Arts:

IO Interactive:
Agent 47 (Hitman)

Warner Bros:

Riot:

.n_n.
If you're doing second characters for series like Street Fighter, there's probably a cavalcade of Sonic characters that would qualify for SEGA. At least Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman. Kiryu from Yakuza would also be another good SEGA option.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Broke: Nintendo would never work with Disney for Sora because they would be tough to negotiate with

Woke: Disney is a new collaborator for Smash and Sora has his chances skyrocket because of it
Yeah honestly I can see them biting the bullet and just working with disney, why not at this point

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what he mentioned going by PushDustin's tweet, supposedly. Nintendo made the selection then, and they're doing the same now.
Oh if Nintendo still decided then that makes alot of sense. Especially why they have approval for up to 10 characters according to the WoL slots. Though I guess collaborative new IPs can still have a chance.

Hopefully Monolith is there but now it suddenly makes alot more sense

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Shot in a dark, Fighter 5 is character no one has talked a lot about that much.

The only times Smash Community predicts right is when shit leaks.

It will keep happening.
Watch Hayabusa end up as the new Jillhachi. Instead we'll get Sora, because hardly anyone actually thought that they would manage to work with Disney AND double dip on Square Enix characters for Season 1.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I definitely don't think they're going to avoid doubling up on third party companies. We've literally already got Hero and Cloud. I know people ares acting like it's a new studio that owns Hero, but people still think of Dragon Quest as a Square Enix series. I would not be surprised if we got another Capcom, Namco, and Sega rep, for example.

I also think a Koei Tecmo rep isn't necessarily a hard lock. Namco didn't get a DLC character despite helping with Smash 4.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely don't think they're going to avoid doubling up on third party companies. We've literally already got Hero and Cloud. I know people ares acting like it's a new studio that owns Hero, but people still think of Dragon Quest as a Square Enix series. I would not be surprised if we got another Capcom, Namco, and Sega rep, for example.
For sure but man the Capcom slot is going to be super competitive between Phoenix Wright, Dante, and Resident Evil

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo "chose" Joker, Banjo and Terry so I don't think that's any black mark against Geno.

Someone is fibbing about their involvement but at the end of the day we've still gotten a great selection of characters.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo "chose" Joker, Banjo and Terry so I don't think that's any black mark against Geno.

Someone is fibbing about their involvement but at the end of the day we've still gotten a great selection of characters.
The thing is the only one "fibbing" is Sakurai. All the collaborators who talked about their Smash inclusion said they were approached by Sakurai, alot of Nintendo people like Reggie heavily implied these were decided by Sakurai, and all of the picks are characters Sakurai for sure care about especially Terry and Joker

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
For sure but man the Capcom slot is going to be super competitive between Phoenix Wright, Dante, and Resident Evil
Oh, I know. I'd be cool with any Capcom rep, but it's going to be a bloodbath when one's revealed and people feel like they "stole their slot." I'd like Dante or Phoenix the most but I'd be fine with just about anyone as long as it isn't a third SF rep, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.