• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Geno finally gets in, but his moveset is entirely timing-based gimmicks inspired by the SMRPG battle system.
I thought people actually wanted a gimmick like that? Timed hits would be a neat gimmick for any Mario RPG fighter, since that's a constant between SMRPG, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

At the very least Geno Whirl will have a timed hit feature.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought people actually wanted a gimmick like that? Timed hits would be a neat gimmick for any Mario RPG fighter, since that's a constant between SMRPG, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

What I'm hoping to see is:

Geno Beam (Neutral B) and Geno Blast (Down B) hold Geno in position while he charges the move. Releasing it at 3 stars makes the move do more damage and cover a wider radius.

Geno Whirl (Side B). Does more damage/knockback if B is hit as it connects.

And for an Up-B I hope they lean into Geno being a toy with a functionally similar move to Bowser Jr's, where his head pops off his body and has to land back on stage.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

It wouldn't be a very Brawl concept, though, is what I'm saying. Some people complain about the proliferation of character-specific meters and control mechanics (ex: Street Fighter inputs) in Smash 4 and Ultimate, and Geno could just as easily be that sort of character.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be a very Brawl concept, though, is what I'm saying. Some people complain about the proliferation of character-specific meters and control mechanics (ex: Street Fighter inputs) in Smash 4 and Ultimate, and Geno could just as easily be that sort of character.

As long as the gimmick isn't intrusive and overbearing I think it's fine.

Wonderwing is cool, Hero's menu and Joker's Rebellion Gauge are not.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I've always envisioned a SSB moveset for Geno as:

Neutral B: Geno Beam
Side B: Geno Whirl
Down B: Geno Boost
Up B: Geno Flash
Final Smash: Geno Blast

For Geno Flash I envision him shooting himself out as a star and then teleporting the doll body back to him. Kind of a stretch but he doesn't really have any other moves more suitable for recovery.

Also Geno Blast would be the final smash because it's objectively his coolest move animation

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always envisioned a SSB moveset for Geno as:

Neutral B: Geno Beam
Side B: Geno Whirl
Down B: Geno Boost
Up B: Geno Flash
Final Smash: Geno Blast

For Geno Flash I envision him shooting himself out as a star and then teleporting the doll body back to him. Kind of a stretch but he doesn't really have any other moves more suitable for recovery.

Also Geno Blast would be the final smash because it's objectively his coolest move animation

Geno Flash turns him into a cannon that shoots out an angry sun though.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
There's still that old Geno Project M mod

It was included in Smash Bros. Legacy XP. I remember it being neat, he actually had a cool timing based mechanic to his moveset.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I hope Geno is filled to the brim with an arsenal of weapons and a shifting, transforming body. I want him to be the purest expression of Smash Bros. being like playing with your favourite action figures.

There's a way that could work, especially if those are his B moves. Charge times where if you release at the right time it does extra damage and has a wider radius.

There's a PM Geno mod that plays exactly like that and it's pretty amazing. I'd love to see Sakurai's take on the idea

There's still that old Geno Project M mod

It was included in Smash Bros. Legacy XP. I remember it being neat, he actually had a cool timing based mechanic to his moveset.

Oh, it's this one!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

To this day, it's still pretty crazy to me that every single character in this mod, outside of Waluigi, Shadow, Metal Sonic and Geno, are playable in Ultimate

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no I've realized something terrible.

How can Jill and Geno be in Smash if both their taglines are likely to include "Stars"?

Sorry Jill, looks like Dante has to be in now.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no I've realized something terrible.

How can Jill and Geno be in Smash if both their taglines are likely to include "Stars"?

Sorry Jill, looks like Dante has to be in now.
I was going to joke about how we already knew Geno's tagline but I forgot that despite getting a splash screen he didn't get a fun pun or anything
800px-SSB4_Geno_SplashArt.png

missed opportunity

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
We all know Geno's splash screen is going to be

GENO
Shoots for the Stars!

So when Jill gets in later hers can be

JILL
Shoots for the S.T.A.R.S.!

wait

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I have mixed feelings about Arsene but Hero's menu stuff is cool as shit
Reverse for me. Joker's gauge encourages a particular style of play, which I totally understand not being everyone's cup of tea. Hero's menu, I have some reservations about. While absolutely cool as shit, it requires the act of constantly looking at the bottom of the screen and processing four potential moves, which I'm not good enough at Smash to do while not getting myself killed.

I guess it helps that some of those spells are Bounce and Magic Burst, but y'know.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Rebellion Gauge concept-wise (Joker's playstyle feels built around it). Command Menu is more debatable; it's fun for casual matches and a grab-bag of usefulness for competitive, but overall i'm fine with it.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I think sephiroth making it in would probably bring out a reaction rivalling that of cloud tbh. Isn't he like the JRPG villain?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Did Sakurai miss something in Emblem of Loto or what? The hero in that manga is named Arus, but he's a descendant of Erdrick rather than Erdrick themself.

He also said Solo is 17 even though both he and Sofia are 18.
I thought Arusu was his name in the Dragon Quest III audio drama or something?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
If I have this right.

Ridley gets shot up in Metroid, rebuilt as Meta Ridley for the Prime Trilogy before regrowing his organic body as Proteus Ridley in Samus Returns and completely eschewing cybernetics in Super Metroid, where he dies. Then he's cloned for Other M and that clone's husk ends up on the ship from Metroid Fusion where it gets infected by X.
See this is the absolute problem with this interpretation. Ridley doesn't just get shot up. He blows the fuck up. Entirely. There's nothing left to "rebuild" into Meta Ridley. Meta Ridley has to be some kind of clone.

Him exploding likely isn't meant to be taken that literally. Just a defeated enemy disappearing because having their body stick around as a pile on the floor is too much work. Mother Brain and Kraid also survived "blowing up".

Sakamoto's explanation for Ridley coming back after being defeated is that if enough of him is still alive he can devour biological material to recover his body. The first time he was blown up was when Samus' father blew up Ridley's mothership and dropped it on him. Ridley ate the corpses of Samus' family and the colonists to reform his body.

paKnp21.jpg

Ridley's probably the most outright evil Nintendo villain. This scene is so cold-blooded.

Prime is a bit at odds with the main games since it treats the Space Pirates as an organization where Ridley isn't at the top and is instead treated as a bio-weapon, but the logs say:

"The reconstruction of geoform 187, code-named Ridley, was recently completed. After his defeat on Zebes, Command ordered a number of metagenetic improvements for him. Though aggressive, we were able to implement these changes in a cycle. The metamorphosis was painful, but quite successful in the end. Early tests indicate a drastic increase in strength, mobility, and offensive capability. Cybernetic modules and armour plating have been added as well. We believe our creation, now called Meta Ridley, will become the mainstay of our security force, a job he will certainly relish."

Geoform 187? Ridley is a codename? Command? A job on the security force? This is all so at odds with how the Space Pirates and Ridley operate in the main games. Ridley is their leader, not some low-rank beast they keep around. I love Prime but its lore is such a mess.

Dry Bowser would be cool, but he needs his signature move:
bsMsUJq.gif

He was basically created to differentiate between Bowser who just breathes fireballs and Bowser who also throws hammers (replacing the hammers with bones). Could borrow it from Simon's axe throwing. Plus they made him immune to fireballs.

Throwing his head would also be a cool move. It could act as a mine/remote bomb.
pzoQbzR.gif

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Dry Bowser would be cool, but he needs his signature move:
bsMsUJq.gif

He was basically created to differentiate between Bowser who just breathes fireballs and Bowser who also throws hammers (replacing the hammers with bones). Could borrow it from Simon's axe throwing. Plus they made him immune to fireballs.

Throwing his head would also be a cool move. It could act as a mine/remote bomb.
pzoQbzR.gif
This really makes it obvious how Sakurai messed up with Bowser back in Melee. Dude should have had hammers instead of that dumb claw and bite.

It's also a travesty that Donkey Kong has never been able to use any barrels.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
From Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest to Kingdom Hearts. We could start a new pattern that SE reps get more convoluted when it comes to the rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.