• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also a reminder that Xenosaga was trademarked again last year and nothing has happened with it yet which means Klonoa will experience the same thing most likely lol.
I don't see any reason to think nothing will come of it especially since it falls in line with the naming schemes of previous remasters it seems.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Also a reminder that Xenosaga was trademarked again last year and nothing has happened with it yet which means Klonoa will experience the same thing most likely lol.
Wasn't the Xenosaga trademark just a renewal of Episode III's subtitle?

This Klonoa trademark is for a new title (most likely a remaster; based on precedence with Katamari Damacy and Kotoba no Puzzle). It'll definitely surface sooner rather than later.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
220px-Splatterhouse_Wanpaku_Graffiti.jpg

Imagine Rick gets in and he looks like this, lol.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Sometimes I really wonder if NAMCO thinks they're just fine as they got the biggest presence of all the other 3rd Parties involved in Smash, even though they only have Pac-Man playable. Because they develop the game, have tons of old Arcade franchises represented through music, items and Pac-Man's taunt...

but then there's so much they could still offer

Tekken, Tales of..., Digimon, SoulCalibur, Xenosaga... of course, not forgeting Klonoa, Splatterhouse, Mr. Driller, Katamari and others :p

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So, Link's Awakening having the codename 'Richard' is clearly hinting at the fact that Nintendo is developing a The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls remake in the same engine, which will inevitably lead to Prince of Sablé being promoted to playable status in Smash.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Splatterhouse is a slightly better version of Altered Beast with lots of blood and enemies being decapitated. That's how I'd describe... flat design beat 'n up

man.. how I hate Altered Beast

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Wasn't the Xenosaga trademark just a renewal of Episode III's subtitle?

This Klonoa trademark is for a new title (most likely a remaster; based on precedence with Katamari Damacy and Kotoba no Puzzle). It'll definitely surface sooner rather than later.

While true, Harada has said he wants to do something with the IP as a whole so I wouldn't be shocked if they redid the trademark to give it the ep III subtitle so something like Zarathustra edition... hah I'm just speculating but it's a possibility. Kinda funny how a few months ago Harada met Takahashi and they discussed Xenosaga and Xenoblade/gears.

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
I think we're actually going to get Waluigi before the DLC wraps up. Seems like it's all about fan choices coming to fruition!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Rick Taylor just started off as a weirdo knock-off Jason Voorhees.

Which means that NES Jason is in line for Smash.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So; the first Event Tourney in 4.0 involved Hero (Heroes VS Villains)
4001_news.jpg

and the first 5.0 Tourney involved Banjo & Kazooie (Team Fighters)
4003_news.jpg

So, any predictions for the first 6.0 Tourney that will definitely involve Terry?

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
If they ever make another Splatterhouse game, I hope it a lot more Horror based. Give me a Dark Souls like Splatterhouse.

But seriously though, I wouldn't even be upset if Rick was a character.

So, any predictions for the first 6.0 Tourney that will definitely involve Terry?

Probably something regarding fighters? Ryu/Ken/Lucario/Incineroar/Little Mac

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Sometimes I really wonder if NAMCO thinks they're just fine as they got the biggest presence of all the other 3rd Parties involved in Smash, even though they only have Pac-Man playable. Because they develop the game, have tons of old Arcade franchises represented through music, items and Pac-Man's taunt...

Tekken, Tales of..., Digimon, SoulCalibur, Xenosaga... of course, not forgeting Klonoa, Splatterhouse, Mr. Driller, Katamari and others :p

Much as I'd be stoked for Lloyd, it's humbling how conservative Namco's been with their representation. Not that I'd expect them to strongarm Sakurai/Nintendo, but I think they're earned another bone.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
4001_news.jpg

4003_news.jpg

You'll only be able to play characters that made people unreasonably salty with their reveal. Ken, Incineroar and Isabelle vs the Terries

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of tournaments, did anyone try entering the partner one with a fresh save file (and no unlocks)? It didn't have any of the original 8 (even though Mario could've been shoehorned in with Cappy), so would they just... not let you compete?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Namco is definitely being very modest when it comes to Smash development. I wonder if we'd even have Pac-Man if not for Miyamoto, lol.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there's a group of hardcore Dig Dug fans out there who resent Mr. Driller the same way old school MegaTen fans resent Persona

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Namco is definitely being very modest when it comes to Smash development. I wonder if we'd even have Pac-Man if not for Miyamoto, lol.
Still don't get why all of the characters in Pac-Man's up-taunt aren't spirits.

Well, besides The Prince. They're clearly saving themselves for the Fighter Spirit later.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So, Link's Awakening having the codename 'Richard' is clearly hinting at the fact that Nintendo is developing a The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls remake in the same engine, which will inevitably lead to Prince of Sablé being promoted to playable status in Smash.

Galaxy brain

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I would absolutely love a The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls remake but I know it would absolutely never happen. The Prince of Sablé Assist Trophy has always interested me but I've never gotten around to playing that game.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
You know, I'm absolutely sure that game would get a new name in the West if it got remade and it would probably be called The Prince of Sablé, with the original title maybe being a subtitle.

Aug 12, 2019
You know, I think Sakurai's not making another Fighter's Pass (or, at least, doesn't want to). He doesn't seem to be fond of them.

He did point out their exploitative nature.

I don't really get why they're exploitative. They're mostly just a really convenient way to purchase all of the announced DLC at a discount that ensures those characters are automatically unlocked when the updates go live. The pass specifically detailed what you would be getting with each fighter, so it's not like other season passes where you could get random stuff that isn't worth your money and the option to buy all of the DLC individually is still there. The only thing you don't know is who the characters are, and for a lot of people, that doesn't matter since they'll be buying them all anyway given Sakurai is the one developer who has probably earned that sort of loyalty.

Maybe I'm just cynical from the rest of the games industry being absolute shit, but the Fighter's Pass just seems like a non-issue to me.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't really get why they're exploitative. They're mostly just a really convenient way to purchase all of the announced DLC at a discount that ensures those characters are automatically unlocked when the updates go live. The pass specifically detailed what you would be getting with each fighter, so it's not like other season passes where you could get random stuff that isn't worth your money and the option to buy all of the DLC individually is still there. The only thing you don't know is who the characters are, and for a lot of people, that doesn't matter since they'll be buying them all anyway given Sakurai is the one developer who has probably earned that sort of loyalty.

Maybe I'm just cynical from the rest of the games industry being absolute shit, but the Fighter's Pass just seems like a non-issue to me.

I guess they're considered exploitative in that you are buying a product without knowing what's in it. But like... it isn't like the Fighters Pass is a limited time offer. Either you wait for each individual character and make a choice, or you buy it all at once because you know you will buy all the characters anyway.

If it was a brand less trusted than Smash, there would probably be more controversy. Me, they're cheaper and easier, no need to go to the eShop to buy each character individually (doing this in both 3DS and Wii U was a pain). Give me all the season passes.

Aug 12, 2019
I guess they're considered exploitative in that you are buying a product without knowing what's in it. But like... it isn't like the Fighters Pass is a limited time offer. Either you wait for each individual character and make a choice, or you buy it all at once because you know you will buy all the characters anyway.

If it was a brand less trusted than Smash, there would probably be more controversy. Me, they're cheaper and easier, no need to go to the eShop to buy each character individually (doing this in both 3DS and Wii U was a pain). Give me all the season passes.

I definitely agree on the old way being a pain of having to manually select the DLC you wanted instead of having one unified way of purchasing it (also the Wii U eShop was absolute trash no matter what you did on it). I'm all on board with Season Passes for Smash. If you tell me up front 5 characters, 5 stages, and music, I definitely feel like I'm an informed enough consumer to make the purchase at that point.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
People better be ready for Waluigi to be the final DLC fighter.

I can already picture it now.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope there's a group of hardcore Dig Dug fans out there who resent Mr. Driller the same way old school MegaTen fans resent Persona

That feels unlikely, just 'cause Mr. Driller so actively enriches the Dig Dug lore. What was once a simple space man with a pump is now an unlikely hero who averted a dramatic disaster, only to become a dramatic disaster as a person as he mismanages the fame he gains from it. He goes through love and loss and he's now trying his best to keep things together while being conflicted with pride and jealousy of his own children, of which there are three, who also serve as a constant reminder to his broken marriage.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly started hearing people talk about Geno in Brawl days, and even then, I wondered why such character of all choices.. but each with their own.
Same, and they were only minor mentions. Characters like Mega Man dominated the conversation (people from back then on GAF can back me up on this, a mod even banned Mega Man talk cos he found it too much).

Heck, outside GAF I don't recall seeing Geno's name much. Not on 4chan at least (having weekdaily updates made speculation on there a lot different to the hellscape it is today since the focus was on which veterans were coming back. "Tonight's the night" [for Captain Falcon]).

As for JRPGs, one forum I was on, that leaned heavily towards that audience, barely spoke of Super Mario RPG. Final Fantasy VII was the big one, with Link vs Cloud thread being a plague.

Honestly, the only reason I knew of the game is because I went to the official Nintendo of America website and looked it up and that was because I'd seen a screenshot for 'Super Mario RPG 2' in a magazine.

In fact the first character not in a Smash game I saw being thrown around as an idea was Wario and that's only because it was my own idea lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Geno was talked about a fair bit in Brawl but I feel like the character was not viewed with much legitimacy. More like "wouldn't it be cool if this party member from SMRPG was in Smash?" The costume and Sakurai's statement validated the character in the eyes of much the Smash fanbase.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I wish that Geno Haters would take a bait for avatar bets so I could make shitload of Geno avatars easily!
There's already a bet.

Everyone who's played Klonoa loves him, it's just that number accounts for maybe three dozen people.
I was interested in buying Klonoa on Wii back in the day hearing positive things about it on GAF. But Bamco thought it wise to only print about six copies so it never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.