• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My main beef with Dixie as an echo is that her most defining abilities are things Diddy can't do at all and viceversa. It'd make zero sense.
We should just toss out Shadow. If any Sonic Assist Trophy gets an upgrade, it should be the main man Knuckles.
Exactly. He doesn't chuckle tho, so he can't be an echo.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I wonder if Smash will ever get to the point where it starts making unique secondary third party characters playable.

Guys like Knuckles, Tails, Zero, Alucard, Chun-Li, etc
Sakurai's comment on not believing that this many fighters ever being in another Smash game ever again lead to me think probably not.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Tails > Shadow.

Even as an Echo, Tails works better. Give him Olimar's up B and he's good to go.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai's comment on not believing that this many fighters ever being in another Smash game ever again lead to me think probably not.
How so? A big hurdle for future titles is going to be the licensing of all the different third party series. Doubling up on some already present third parties would be a way to keep bringing the hype while keeping licensing costs down.

I legitimately think Tails and Chun Li are potential contenders for the next Smash.

Mar 9, 2018
I'm offended. The foundation of my beliefs are the result of very little consideration and it's very possible that I may have contradicted my self yesterday.

Kidding aside, I think i'm one of Dixie biggest champions around here so i'd love to be wrong.
Oh yeah, I have seen your post. I know you are a true Dixie warrior.

But don't worry. Love your wrongness; I know you are wrong.

EEoN2z1VAAA6wPe

She loves your wrongness, too.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Not that I'd believe any chance of it happening.. but it would be so goddamn wild seeing Mario (Nintendo) vs Sonic (Sega) vs Crash (PlayStation) vs Terry (Neo Geo) vs Master Chief (Xbox)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How so? A big hurdle for future titles is going to be the licensing of all the different third party series. Doubling up on some already present third parties would be a way to keep bringing the hype while keeping licensing costs down.

I legitimately think Tails and Chun Li are potential contenders for the next Smash.
That is very dependent on generous licensing agreements and the assumption that such agreements can be made for the next game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm just wondering what company wouldn't want their characters in Smash in this day and age, but then Konami did pull Snake out from Smash For.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a question. They only announced that they were doing more characters. Do you think they've already decided who they are? That they've already started working on them?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

That still depends on what they do for the next Smash. If it's an enhanced Ultimate port, then I could see that happening, especially for a character like Chun Li, but otherwise, I can't see any third-parties doubling down on characters in a roster where cuts are occurring.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Here's a question. They only announced that they were doing more characters. Do you think they've already decided who they are? That they've already started working on them?
Based on nothing at all, there's a part of me that thinks that maybe they got a deal to include a character or more after this current run of DLC had already been decided and started development.

That and they really like money.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I would suspect that the negotiations for at least the next year's season (?) of characters are locked in at this point and they're probably working on at character #7 actively right now.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Obviously, Geno has already been decided upon, which is why his Mii Costume didn't return alongside Hero :P

In all seriousness, I'm sure they've chosen them already, but I doubt that they'll begin working on any until Terry is finished.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, Geno has already been decided upon, which is why his Mii Costume didn't return alongside Hero :P

In all seriousness, I'm sure they've chosen them already, but I doubt that they'll begin working on any until Terry is finished.
I disagree. Based on Sakurai's newfound confidence and motivation to work on Smash DLC and the fact they announced it now claiming they're in development I think these characters are already in development. I'm not sure if they'll keep the Pass format but I think internally it'll be business as usual with DLC development until Nintendo stops bankrolling characters

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My most pessimistic takes on the Geno situation is that the Geno costume either didn't sell well in the first place, or they delayed the costume in order to give it a headmask and some music like the Sans costume.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We know at least Sakurai tried to include Snake as Smash 4 DLC and it didn't work out. He said this in his book earlier this year.
Damn really? Now I have to wonder what Sakurai and Nintendo did to get them to change their mind a year later for Base roster rather than accepting licencing for both the DLC and Ultimate Base roster. Konami execs must've really resented Metal Gear during that time

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Damn really? Now I have to wonder what Sakurai and Nintendo did to get them to change their mind a year later for Base roster rather than accepting licencing for both the DLC and Ultimate Base roster. Konami execs must've really resented Metal Gear during that time

It was during the pre-release of MGSV which came out a few months before the Ultimate line up was decided so yeah I'd chalk it up to company politics.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Based on everything we know, Snake in Brawl had everything to do with Kojima, and considering where Kojima was during Smash 4's development cycle, his not returning isn't a huge surprise.

I wouldn't be shocked if Sakurai reached out privately to get Kojima's "blessing" to bring Snake back this time, even if he didn't need to.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's a weird part about the article. They said Snake and another few characters got declined so they came down to Bayonetta and Corrin as last two characters so it made me wonder about what happened.

1. Iwata asked Sakurai to works on Super Smash Bros Ultimate before he passed away in July 2015. So Ryu and Cloud definitely were agreed to be part of Smash 4 DLC way early (probably before the ballots.)

2. Iwata and Sakurai were discussing about Smash Ballot with high staffs. It's more likely that Nintendo declined Snake and another characters because its not worth for the cost and efforts to get characters in if they have upcoming Smash project for Project NX. So they probably chose to put some characters from Smash Ballot on hold for Ultimate.

3. So they went with Bayonetta and Corirn since they are pretty much cheap to make a license deal since they co-owned Bayonetta and set Corrin as a promotional character before they closed the curtain on Smash 4 DLC development.

4. Because of Smash Ballot requests so they chose to bring all veterans and few popular requests into the picture for Ultimate via Sakurai implied there are some arms-twisting moment going there.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Based on everything we know, Snake in Brawl had everything to do with Kojima, and considering where Kojima was during Smash 4's development cycle, his not returning isn't a huge surprise.

I wouldn't be shocked if Sakurai reached out privately to get Kojima's "blessing" to bring Snake back this time, even if he didn't need to.

Funnily Kojima already said it out loud on podcast or stream and beg Sakurai to use Snake again. What made it even interesting is that they came up with design document on the day when they had final smash direct on. So they probably had all characters inked out and prepare to contact another companies for all agreements.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Funnily Kojima already said it out loud on podcast or stream and beg Sakurai to use Snake again. What made it even interesting is that they came up with design document on the day when they had final smash direct on. So they probably had all characters inked out and prepare to contact another companies for all agreements.
Has Kojima commented on Snakes return to Smash?

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Has Kojima commented on Snakes return to Smash?

I'm not sure but I could check around but I know that he bought Smash Ultimate tho.

I was gonna say, the original Bomberman debuted on the MSX in 1983, so you could call him an MSX rep instead, but we already have Snake (technically MSX2 but still).

Yeah, you're right. Which console did Richter comes out for? MSX or MSX2?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
People joke, but I absolutely love Gex. I'd be all for his inclusion
I think got an undeserving fame of a joke character... sure, he probably would be more likable with his mouth shut for 5 minutes, but his games are actually pretty alright, all 3. He's certainly no Bubsy ~

too bad he's owned by Square these days and I doubt they'd even think about using the IP in some regard (re-releases or such), let alone let him being in Smash

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Man, had a really depressing lose streak in Online Tourney. I usually have fun and can get pretty far, but in one-on-ones, there's so many people that are just so precise with their damn combos and attacks, it's like...

ofugqvne1mllpp0pyqyp.gif

Adding insult to injury, they get some teabagging in. Especially those damn Ness players. Fight me with hazards and items, cowards! >:(

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's my 20k post, and I'm gonna use it here, to stan for Ninja Gaiden once again.

With a track I've never used before, lol. (The music in this series is absolutely incredible.)

Status
Not open for further replies.