• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Weren't those chosen by the composers?
Sakurai provides a list of songs and they pick from it.
After the composers had signed their non-disclosure agreements and we had finished explaining everything, we immediately set to picking out songs. We had created a database of thousands of contenders beforehand, but also gave a listen to songs that were suggested to us – from there, we would begin allocating and arranging songs. Each composer had their own personality: there were those that were able to immediately suggest a lot of songs at once, those that went home and thought on it, and even those that suggested their favorites from their respective series!

He's hands on with the music process. It's not just composers picking whatever and then Sakurai puts it in the game. Even though Grant Kirkhope got to pick his Banjo song, Sakurai still gave feedback as to how the song should sound and what it should include.

If he had objections to remixing Heroes music, he wouldn't have allowed them into Smash.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strat I'm playing Rhythm Heaven Silver on an IPS GBA. Those colors with no grid lines... they gotta make another Rhythm Heaven game with these crappy graphics lol I'm crying it looks so good

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
6859F67D-4105-49D4-92EA-68C3870FF47A.jpeg

lgqn556o5x0z.jpg

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah I buy all the dlc content as well. Anything less makes me feel like my game is incomplete.

Maybe not those free spirit board items things though.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest oversight will always be thinking it was on to cut verses out of the DK Rap. They might as well remove it completely than give us this butchered version. Everyone sets it to zero now.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The biggest oversight will always be thinking it was on to cut verses out of the DK Rap. They might as well remove it completely than give us this butchered version. Everyone sets it to zero now.
I've thought maybe a way to fix this would be to offer two versions

DK Rap (Smash For) and DK Rap (Melee). Just treat them as separate songs, for the .5 people who might prefer the abridged version.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Having only owned Warped, this is the Crash theme to me.

I only had CTR and Crash Bash, not knowing what the actual Crash games were and just wanted more after liking CTR, and I always thought this was the Crash main theme.

Obviously, I know it's a remix now, but it's a damn good one. A lot more energetic. I didn't play Warped until years later when borrowing it from a cousin

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Rex would be a super boring choice. If Sakurai wants to do a Xenoblade 2 rep, he should just do Lora + Jin instead. Not only are they better characters, who would accomplish the same potential mechanic, they would effectively serve as being both an additional "protagonist" as well as "antagonist".
They're not going to put a (for all intents and purposes) DLC-only character (Lora) in over the main protag.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Melee DK Rap sucks too. I wish they just had the original DK64 version.
It grew on me over time, but I still vastly prefer the original.

The problem is, they cut the song in half in Smash 4 and haven't repaired it since. The same happened to Brinstar and Pollyanna. I keep them turned off permanently because of that, and it saddens me.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
After careful thought and consideration, I have come to my final prediction for Character 5 of the Fighters Pass. It's going to be an action game character. That's right, it's either going to be Ryu Hayabusa or Dante. It's an archetype we have not seen since Bayonetta who ended Smash 4 DLC. Koi Tecmo is closer to Nintendo than it's ever been thanks to their partnership on developing first party Nintendo IP. Capcom is going through the trouble of individually porting each Devil May Cry game to Switch. There's no other reason someone would port Devil May Cry 2 unless they really wanted an extra excuse for Dante in Smash, like really badly. Whichever one of the two doesn't get in as Fighter 5 will probably come as an individual character at some point post-Fighters pass.

A lot of people have been speculating about Doom Slayer as a Bethesda rep, and while I think he might still be happening, I think he's infinitely more likely as post-Fighters Pass content. Bethesda has been a little too loose lipped about "discussions about Smash" this year and I get the impression that maybe they would prefer to be individual DLC rather than sharing a spotlight as part of a pass.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a minor difference though.

Lora and Jin would be a cool twist on ice climbers with the vanguard mechanic and their own movesets, while Rex would have his blade as auxiliary buffer and switching between them would change his own moveset.

I would definitely prefer Lora and Jin, but they aren't exactly the same, at least as far as my imaginary implementation is concerned.
Sure, I see what you're saying. Either mechanic would be cool. Honestly I just like Lora and Jin better though. Nothing against Pyra/Mythra but I personally found Rex pretty lame/generic.
I feel like in the hypothetical Lora/Jin vs Rex/Pyra or Mythra comparison, people who are fans of XBC2 would be dissatisfied that the reps for XBC2 were the 30 hour prequel characters instead of the main game protagonists. In terms of representation.

... I'm hoping through some combination of Mii Costume, timing, and the fact characters with multiple moving models seem to have been developmentally nightmarish without some concessions and having a Rex/Blade setup with their super detailed outfits would be more trouble than it's worth, that it ain't Rex though.

It's a small, petty hope. If he gets in despite that, eh.

I think that most fans of Xenoblade would be happy with just about anyone. But Rex is clearly the most boring choice. All of the other characters in XB2 (and XB1... and Elma) are more interesting. I'd still be happy with him in the end if it means a second Xenoblade character, but I'd prefer just about anyone else. Supporting cast from XB2 seems unlikely over the main character, which is why Lora/Jin could be a potential option. I feel like in terms of another rep, these are basically the viable options in terms of next most important:

Rex & Pyra/Mythra
Lora & Jin
Elma
Fiora (though they might avoid this if they ever wanted to do Kos-Mos)
Malos (as a Shulk echo fighter)

They're not going to put a (for all intents and purposes) DLC-only character (Lora) in over the main protag.
Torna wasn't just DLC, it was its own standalone 30 hour RPG. And it's currently the latest entry in the series to boot. Lora is a protagonist in her own right. Not to mention that Jin would be part of the duo, and he is one of the main antagonists of the original XB2. If these semantics even matter you could call it "Jin & Lora" instead of the other way around (though I think it wouldn't matter).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I got 25 hours out of Torna

That's longer than most games I play

Looking at my boxed copy, the length of time I played it, and the numerous mechanical differences from XB2, it really does feel more like a proper game and not just a piece of DLC.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Torna wasn't just DLC, it was its own standalone 30 hour RPG. And it's currently the latest entry in the series to boot. Lora is a protagonist in her own right. Not to mention that Jin would be part of the duo, and he is one of the main antagonists of the original XB2. If these semantics even matter you could call it "Jin & Lora" instead of the other way around (though I think it wouldn't matter).
A standalone 30 hour RPG that was DLC.

They're not going to put in a villain over the main protag either though, lol. Trust me, I wish you were right because I want Morag over anyone else, but I'd be beyond shocked if it happened.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A standalone 30 hour RPG that was DLC.

They're not going to put in a villain over the main protag either though, lol. Trust me, I wish you were right because I want Morag over anyone else, but I'd be beyond shocked if it happened.
They offered it as DLC, but it was also sold completely separately. Your progress in the XB2 game has 0 impact on Torna, and vice versa. And nothing transfers between the two titles. If you get it digitally you even transfer to a completely different title screen. It's very much a separate game. Torna's engine is even a bit different from XB2's.

I think just calling it DLC is being dismissive, especially in an attempt to make any character "unlikely". Xenoblade already has a main protagonist in Smash: Shulk. There'd be nothing wrong with including an antagonist now. And the great thing about Lora & Jin is that they sort of give you both.

Morag is a cool character I'd love to see, but like Dunban (Which is essentially her XB1 equivalent), they have virtually no chance due to not being a main protag, antag, or primary supporting character.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
They offered it as DLC, but it was also sold completely separately. Your progress in the XB2 game has 0 impact on Torna, and vice versa. And nothing transfers between the two titles. If you get it digitally you even transfer to a completely different title screen. It's very much a separate game. Torna's engine is even a bit different from XB2's.

I think just calling it DLC is being dismissive, especially in an attempt to make any character "unlikely". Xenoblade already has a main protagonist in Smash: Shulk. There'd be nothing wrong with including an antagonist now. And the great thing about Lora & Jin is that they sort of give you both.

Morag is a cool character I'd love to see, but like Dunban (Which is essentially her XB1 equivalent), they have virtually no chance due to not being a main protag, antag, or primary supporting character.
Shulk and Jin have pretty much zero connection. It would be like putting in Seifer because Cloud is already in but skipping Squall. I don't want to be dismissive and have no issue with people continuing to push for Lora/Jin (I want them in), I just don't see it happening.

Honestly, I'd be fine with anyone from Xenoblade 2 as long as it isn't Tora. Fuck Tora.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Xenoblade 2 and Torna.

My impossible wish is that Xenoblade remake changes its battle system. Cause it's the worst one in the series.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shulk and Jin have pretty much zero connection. It would be like putting in Seifer because Cloud is already in but skipping Squall. I don't want to be dismissive and have no issue with people continuing to push for Lora/Jin (I want them in), I just don't see it happening.

Honestly, I'd be fine with anyone from Xenoblade 2 as long as it isn't Tora. Fuck Tora.
I know they don't have a connection. Because they're from different games in the same series. But in Smash that is perfectly okay. There is no "rule" stating that we can't get an antagonist from a different game after first got the protagonist in the series. Obviously there's very few antagonists to begin with in Smash, and most of them that are exist across multiple games with the same protagonist. But while untested, I don't see the issue. Not to mention, as said before, Lora/Jin would double as both Protagonist and Antagonist, which makes it all moot.

In regard to Cloud, I do think Sephiroth would be the next most likely FF character just because he is also super popular. But if he wasn't, I wouldn't have an issue with an antagonist from another FF happening. I think Seifer is a bad example because of course Squall is way more popular. But, for example, if Kefka was included before Terra, I don't think anyone would mind or bat an eye.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Xenoblade 2 and Torna.

My impossible wish is that Xenoblade remake changes its battle system. Cause it's the worst one in the series.
I can't see it happening. As a "Definitive Edition" they're not going to make some dramatic change to the gameplay like that.

I do think Torna has the best battle system in the series yet, and 2's was also way better than 1/X's. We'll just have to wait for Xenoblade 3 to see the next evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.