• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 5 | The Bear Necessities

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No...

Votes: 60 40.0%

• Total voters

BassForever

Oct 25, 2017
CT
it's really wild in retrospect that Pokemon got 4 unique newcomers in a single game
Even if time allowed for Wario, who'd be counted as a Mario character, in Melee that'd still only be 3 uniques.

You know it's funny, in all my years of speculation, it's almost always the clones and semiclones people (or: a brand new character that i hate ergo it's gotta go) put on the chopping block but even though Pokemon Trainer had a despised mechanic working against him and three totally separate characters no one ever said 'ok get rid of those 2 for blah blah blah". Even Ivysaur, the most expendable Pokemon

Like every single song in SKC is a remix and they're all bangers and i will accept all of them being added to the game.

It's always been a little surprising when we get assists with no associated music. Then again we have a playable Dark Samus with no Vs Dark Samus so....
I’m pretty confident somewhere online I said back in the wiiu days they should cut squirtle/ivysaur for Charizard to give him a full moveset. The switch mechanic is so fast in ultimate I can accept it better, but I still prefer how project m had unique moves for all 3 pokemon and kept them separate.

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
I’m pretty confident somewhere online I said back in the wiiu days they should cut squirtle/ivysaur for Charizard to give him a full moveset. The switch mechanic is so fast in ultimate I can accept it better, but I still prefer how project m had unique moves for all 3 pokemon and kept them separate.
They should have had an option to either play as them separately or as a team in Ultimate.

MondoMega

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Obviously we would get K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo in their place.

Speaking more seriously, maybe the Forbidden Seven would be the Forbidden Four instead.
It'd probably be less than four, maybe Forbidden Three.

We know that Mewtwo and Roy were the furthest along among the cut veterans, and Dr. Mario is the easiest to include out of the bunch.

I don't think cutting three newcomers would only give us three veterans in exchange; it'd probably give us another newcomer as well.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Solo Charizard? yeah, makes sense

Solo Squirtle? it’s a bit out there, but I can see it

Solo Ivysaur? ridiculous. absolute nonsense.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Brawl would have been like without Pokemon Trainer. Would we have gotten three new characters instead?
There's a lot of "what ifs" when it comes to this kind of talk, since he likely makes the project plan with it in mind. If he thought of Brawl's roster as ~35 characters , but decided against 3-character Trainer then probably (though I think we'd still get Charizard). If he just thought of the characters first, without regard for the numbers, though? Maybe not, with the plan and budget reflecting that.

Which....thinking on it...we kind of have proof of the latter being the case. Diddy & Dixie were absolutely planned as a pair and some early development happened that made it not feasible so she got cut. But that doesn't necessarily mean we got someone else in her place

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
There's a part of me that still wishes we could of gotten that Diddy + Dixie tag team character Sakurai had in mind for Brawl.

I mean, it probably wouldn't of executed that great (if PT in Brawl is any indication), but hey, we would of at least still gotten Dixie in sMASH And she most likely would of been seperated into her own character slot in Smash 4 anyway, like how Sheik, ZSS and Charizard were.

Although, I wonder how they'd handle her in Ultimate. Tie her back into Diddy like what they did with the PT Pokemon or just leave her as her own slot, like with ZSS and Sheik.

SalTea

Sep 19, 2019
Now that we have inkling, I kind of wish that switching with PT was also using shield + b or some other combination so that the three Pokemon would all have down specials. Although I guess that would make switching in the air difficult.