• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But at least a chance that they go with Jill exists. And even if it's not her, there are always the options we brought up in the aforementioned thread (both for DLC & the next Smash game).

My concern is not only that Smash Ultimate is in the Bottom 3 in terms of female fighter ratios, but also below Smash Wii U/3DS (the game where Sakurai first realized the need for more women). It's because I love the series that I don't want Smash to backslide on this front.

Just curious. What kind of odds would you give them using Jill if they were gonna use RE?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If a RE rep is a Hero situation then I really can't see Jill being the default over Chris and Leon.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I know this topic a deadest of dead horses but suggesting that Jill would be the playable rep isn't some absurd idea. It's not like it'd be Luigi getting in over Mario or Ken getting in over Ryu. RE has had multiple player/main/face characters and if they pick Jill over the other two, no one needs to be shocked.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Just curious. What kind of odds would you give them using Jill if they were gonna use RE?
Honestly, I feel like her main competition is Leon. While Chris is the most recurring protagonist, he isn't exactly the top protagonist in the eyes of the fans (based on what I've seen). So as far as the main RE protagonist in Smash goes (if any), it's gonna be a fight between Jill & Leon. And even then, Jill ultimately getting a spot wouldn't be that out-there since, like the others, Jill is a RE protagonist.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But at least a chance that they go with Jill exists. And even if it's not her, there are always the options we brought up in the aforementioned thread (both for DLC & the next Smash game).

My concern is not only that Smash Ultimate is in the Bottom 3 in terms of female fighter ratios, but also below Smash Wii U/3DS (the game where Sakurai first realized the need for more women). It's because I love the series that I don't want Smash to backslide on this front.
Don't take my apathy towards Jill as me not wanting more female representation. A good chunk of my most wanted characters are female fighters.

I just don't think Jill is the sure thing RE rep a lot of people are setting her up to be and see a bunch of people upset if it turns out she doesn't get in.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I feel like her main competition is Leon. While Chris is the most recurring protagonist, he isn't exactly the top protagonist in the eyes of the fans (based on what I've seen). So as far as the main RE protagonist in Smash goes (if any), it's gonna be a fight between Jill & Leon.

See, I don't agree with this assessment.

Earlier in this thread, another poster equated the three Capcom series I had listed in this last thread pretty succently.

Resident Evil is the big successful franchise.

Ace Attorney is the fan favorite.

Devil May Cry is neither of those things.

And I see the three main RE protags as this. Chris is the most important character. Leon is the fan favorite. Jill is neither of those things.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this topic a deadest of dead horses but suggesting that Jill would be the playable rep isn't some absurd idea. It's not like it'd be Luigi getting in over Mario or Ken getting in over Ryu.
Actually Luigi getting in before Mario is a perfect comparison. A lot of people seem to be looking at RE1 in a vacuum where she and Chris shared importance but seriously look at everything after RE3 and say she's still on the same level as Chris and Leon.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Don't take my apathy towards Jill as me not wanting more female representation. A good chunk of my most wanted characters are female fighters.

I just don't think Jill is the sure thing RE rep a lot of people are setting her up to be and see a bunch of people upset if it turns out she doesn't get in.
But given the current climate of the Fighters Pass (likely all third-party, no double-dipping for assist trophies/Mii costumes/probably spirits, etc.), Jill may be our best option right now. Sure, there's also Monster Hunter. But on top of Rathalos lowering her chances, Sakurai could very well go with the Male Hunter as the default. If we do get a first-party character, I've already suggested a first-party option (Dixie Kong). I guess there's also Byleth, but (putting my distaste regarding Female Byleth's design aside) they'd probably go for Male Byleth as the default.

Actually Luigi getting in before Mario is a perfect comparison. A lot of people seem to be looking at RE1 in a vacuum where she and Chris shared importance but seriously look at everything after RE3 and say she's still on the same level as Chris and Leon.
But unlike Luigi, Jill has actually been the front-woman of mainline entries (albeit not as many as Chris). While Luigi has had games of his own, they weren't mainline (even New Super Luigi U was basically a DLC campaign for NSMBU).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody seemed to notice that my list of 10 franchises from the last thread were made up of 3 Capcom series (RE, AA, DMC), 3 Bamco series (Tekken, Tales, SC), and 3 Western series (Crash, Doom, Undertale), with Ninja Gaiden as an outlier.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Choosing Jill because of RE3 doesn't seem right to me since it is one of the black sheep of numbered RE games. The remake is probably being made sure but I can't see it being used for Smash if it's still years out and RE2 Remake is literally right there.

It makes sense to either use Chris if you want to rep the overall series since he's the most recurrent protagonist. (especially in modern RE with 5, 6, and 7) Or use Leon if you want the protagonist of the newest game like Joker and Luminary.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be Jill or Leon for RE. However playing as a monster would be much cooler. The human characters are boring.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Choosing Jill because of RE3 doesn't seem right to me since it is one of the black sheep of numbered RE games. The remake is probably being made sure but I can't see it being used for Smash if it's still years out and RE2 Remake is literally right there.

It makes sense to either use Chris if you want to rep the overall series since he's the most recurrent protagonist. (especially in modern RE with 5, 6, and 7) Or use Leon if you want the protagonist of the newest game like Joker and Luminary.
Let's be honest, Luminary was likely chosen as the default for advertising purposes. If it was Sakurai's call, the default probably would have been Erdrick. With that said, I recall RE3 being remembered fondly in the fanbase (I certainly enjoyed it). Checking the reviews, RE3 definitely got high praise. You make it sound like it was RE6 levels of black sheep when that's far from the truth.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If were going by how much fans like the game then that's just another point for Leon.

The only thing Jill has going for her is a desire for another female fighter and I frankly don't think the developers or Capcom care as much as some people think.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, Luminary was likely chosen as the default for advertising purposes. If it was Sakurai's call, the default probably would have been Erdrick. With that said, I recall RE3 being remembered fondly in the fanbase (I certainly enjoyed it). Checking the reviews, RE3 definitely got high praise. You make it sound like it was RE6 levels of black sheep when that's far from the truth.

Luminary had to be planned as the default from the beginning since the stage and spirits focus mostly on DQXI. If we're talking advertising too, none of the latest RE ports to Switch have Jill as the main protagonist.

RE3 is a black sheep because it gets over looked in classic RE after 1 and 2. Nevermind it is probably the numbered RE that the least amount of people have played since it hasn't been ported nearly as much as the rest.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If were going by how much fans like the game then that's just another point for Leon.

The only thing Jill has going for her is a desire for another female fighter and I frankly don't think the developers or Capcom care as much as some people think.
This is Capcom, the company that didn't hesitate to drop Donovan in favor of Morrigan for the Versus games. The company that makes sure we always get 2 female fighters in each season of SFV. The company who gave us the female Monster Hunter as the default in MvCI. While their motives can certainly be questioned, they do care to a degree. My main concern is if Sakurai is as concerned about this as he was during the Wii U/3DS days.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is Capcom, the company that didn't hesitate to drop Donovan in favor of Morrigan for the Versus games. The company that makes sure we always get 2 female fighters in each season of SFV. The company who gave us the female Monster Hunter as the default in MvCI. While their motives can certainly be questioned, they do care to a degree. My main concern is if Sakurai is as concerned about this as he was during the Wii U/3DS days.

Donovan?

Aug 12, 2019

I mean, it's the price of listening to which characters the fans want. Very few of the most popular picks are female characters with Dixie Kong and Shantae pretty much being the leading two I can think of. And Ultimate was designed on the ideas of realizing fan picks and requests, including bringing back all the previous veterans. That's a sort of back sliding to satisfy fans, which is, at the very least, a little more acceptable.

But the bigger issue is that Smash can't just make OCs and is just a reflection of the gaming industry, particularly Japanese gaming. Far too many third party franchises and especially first party Nintendo franchises don't contain a lot of main characters who are also female, or the females always get lower priority in their own franchises. Smash's vision ends up fundamentally representing that gap in representation because its beholden to the industry around it since all the fighters have to come from other titles. This goes even more so for minorities who are even less represented on average.

I certainly think Sakurai is somewhat aware of these issues, but I also think his vision of a massive crossover title between major franchises will always be the priority and I don't expect him to deviate from that in his choice of characters. The only major issue I see in recent Smash history is the lack of the female alts to Erdrick and Solo... but I suspect Square Enix has some sort of hand in that decision that may have made such a thing impossible. I'm all for more representation in Smash, but it also always seems like a much broader criticism than Smash specifically needs to be made given how reliant Smash is on other things.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the company that pushed Chris and Leon at the forefront of Resident Evil. Jill has not in any shape or form reached Morrigan levels in terms of crossovers or her own series.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
If Jill Valentine makes it in over the other RE reps, how likely would it be that her RE5 outfit makes it in as an alt?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
a543a8067616b6814245236dcd76f367.jpg

Not sure if this artwork has ever made it to the threads. This is a pretty good visual though of the look of Capcom in 2019.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this artwork has ever made it to the threads. This is a pretty good visual though of the look of Capcom in 2019.
It's nice to see Dragon's Dogma right next to RE2, even if it's just because of a rerelease.

I still hate how Capcom markets MHW with the standard Hunter's Armor. So many cool looks and they go with the most generic dude in the most generic armor.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Capcom's own crossovers hold much value here. Aside from oddities like Darkstalkers getting a big focus, there's also the matter that Classic Mega Man almost always gets shafted in favor of X or Volnutt despite Classic being the only Mega Man series to still get new games at this point.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think Capcom's own crossovers hold much value here. Aside from oddities like Darkstalkers getting a big focus, there's also the matter that Classic Mega Man almost always gets shafted in favor of X or Volnutt despite Classic being the only Mega Man series to still get new games at this point.

People love Mega Man X like they love Jill Valentine. Not really an oddity by Capcom's part. People fail to realize how big Jill was during after the PSX area. Then RE5 and 6 happened and blighted the franchise.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
did he? I'm blanking.
latest

Jill was relegated to DLC. Not to mention pretty much every crossover after Marvel 2 that had Jill also had Chris.
I mean.....MvC2 is way better than MvCI. ;)
Goalpost moving. Nice. Want Jill for DLC all you want. Goodness knows how many characters I want that have little chance, just stop acting like she's somehow the mos important RE character. She is in no way guarntied to be th one they'd choose for Smash.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People love Mega Man X like they love Jill Valentine. Not really an oddity by Capcom's part. People fail to realize how big Jill was during after the PSX area. Then RE5 and 6 happened and blighted the franchise.
And yet Chris still got to be the one to show up after this so called "blight" passed. Meanwhile JIll got what, the second character in a mobile game?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean, it's the price of listening to which characters the fans want. Very few of the most popular picks are female characters with Dixie Kong and Shantae pretty much being the leading two I can think of. And Ultimate was designed on the ideas of realizing fan picks and requests, including bringing back all the previous veterans. That's a sort of back sliding to satisfy fans, which is, at the very least, a little more acceptable.

But the bigger issue is that Smash can't just make OCs and is just a reflection of the gaming industry, particularly Japanese gaming. Far too many third party franchises and especially first party Nintendo franchises don't contain a lot of main characters who are also female, or the females always get lower priority in their own franchises. Smash's vision ends up fundamentally representing that gap in representation because its beholden to the industry around it since all the fighters have to come from other titles. This goes even more so for minorities who are even less represented on average.

I certainly think Sakurai is somewhat aware of these issues, but I also think his vision of a massive crossover title between major franchises will always be the priority and I don't expect him to deviate from that in his choice of characters. The only major issue I see in recent Smash history is the lack of the female alts to Erdrick and Solo... but I suspect Square Enix has some sort of hand in that decision that may have made such a thing impossible. I'm all for more representation in Smash, but it also always seems like a much broader criticism than Smash specifically needs to be made given how reliant Smash is on other things.
But it's not like there aren't options, which is part of my concern.

And the company that pushed Chris and Leon at the forefront of Resident Evil. Jill has not in any shape or form reached Morrigan levels in terms of crossovers or her own series.
To be fair, they have been using Jill over Chris & Leon in a few recent crossover instances.

Really now?

Well I guess that more important then being relevant to the actual series.

Plus I guess Chris never appeared in any important crossovers before her.

Wait.
To be fair, MvCI was mostly reused assets.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I ordered this from Amazon , gonna receive it tomorrow. Any tips would be appreciated. I've never played a smash game before but i am moderately good at fighting games .
Also is the game season pass woth it ? The main game already has a shit ton of characters.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My point though is that the crossovers usually take some liberties and don't always reflect the state of Capcom's IPs. Like how Zero and Tron Bonne were the focus of the Mega Man IP in MvC3 with no actual Mega Man playable.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Luminary had to be planned as the default from the beginning since the stage and spirits focus mostly on DQXI. If we're talking advertising too, none of the latest RE ports to Switch have Jill as the main protagonist.

RE3 is a black sheep because it gets over looked in classic RE after 1 and 2. Nevermind it is probably the numbered RE that the least amount of people have played since it hasn't been ported nearly as much as the rest.
Ehhh... Hero's moveset is more geared towards Erdrick, the sword and shield focused Hero. Luminary isn't generally depicted primarily using a shield, that's Erdrick's thing. It seems like Sakurai had Erdrick in mind when concepting the character, but then changed to Luminary later when dealing with Square/Nintendo

Only 4 out of Dragon Quest's 16 spirits are DQXI related, which doesn't feel like it was focused "mostly on DQXI." And one of those is Luminary's spirit and the other is literally a promo spirit for playing DQXI. The rest of the spirits use the earliest available Toriyama art for the characters, except Erdrick, who uses SNES art.

The stage is w/e. I always feel like stages are some of the last elements planned for new series entering Smash. Look how quickly Green Hill Zone got thrown into the game with Sonic.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Guess Jill wasn't important enough to reuse her then I guess.

Now Nemesis!
I wouldn't take the sorry state of the MvCI roster as proof of anything other than Capcom fucking up royally in almost every way possible.

No one would seriously argue that BioCom 09 Spencer is more important than the entire cast of RE.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Jill was relegated to DLC. Not to mention pretty much every crossover after Marvel 2 that had Jill also had Chris.

Lmao it's really obvious that it's hard pill for you to swallow to say anything good about Jill. She has the most crossovers and a central protagonist of RE, get over it. No one said Chris was never in any important crossovers like MvC3 and...........MVCI.

You keep using that phrase. I don't think you know what it means.

stop acting like she's somehow the mos important RE character

Why? Does it hurt you?

She is in no way guarntied to be th one they'd choose for Smash.

I asked last time to quote anbody besides yuoke that said this. I got radio silence.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't take the sorry state of the MvCI roster as proof of anything other than Capcom fucking up royally in almost every way possible.

No one would seriously argue that BioCom 09 Spencer is more important than the entire cast of RE.

Capcom fucked up a character named Rad Spencer.

How do you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.